Is Jameis Winston a Starting QB

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Is Jameis Winston a Starting QB

Postby Sriracha » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:31 am

abloom wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:25 am I get the feeling that they were in the market for a backup. They got one who atleast can sling the ball down the field. Maybe it gives him a shot at a starting job once Brees retires, but I think NO just wanted a backup for a run.
It's a 1 year, 1.1M contract for a quality backup.

I don't think NO wanted Jameis so much as they couldn't turn down that offer.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Winston

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:36 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:50 am Winston is such an interesting case. He's so football smart but yet he's an idiot off the field. I like his chances to succeed though.
It's always refreshing to find alternatives to prevailing viewpoints. Sometimes, you just need to go back in time, like this.

I remember a game last year where Winston said he learned so much from being on the sideline watching Brees. The team was down late and Brees was so methodical moving the team. Winston was surprised to see how such a completely different approach from what he'd do could be so effective.

https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/arti ... 1a15b.html
NOLA wrote:In 2019, Winston set the NFL record for most interceptions thrown in a season with 30. But on the other hand, he also threw for 32 touchdowns, contributing to his reputation as high risk, high reward.

Winston said some of that was "not worrying about the result. It doesn't matter if the result is good or the result can be bad sometimes, but we don't want to be making decisions just for a great result. You want to be making the right decision period. That is what (Drew) taught me."
https://chopchat.com/2021/05/22/jameis- ... rew-brees/
Fansided wrote:Jameis Winston spoke with Michael Vick earlier this year and talked about how Drew Brees changed things for him.

“It was his routine off the field. He was doing the same thing every single day. Despite all the injuries, he was doing the same thing every single day.

I think as a younger me, I was so infatuated with the big play…having sparks, having flashes, but it’s about play, after play, after play, after play, after play,[for Drew] it’s not about special plays, it’s about the right play.” Winston said.

FSU fans are all too familiar with Winston’s flair for the big play. I’d wager his final year as a starter in Tampa Bay was similar to his final year at FSU in 2014. There was a whole lot of good, but a whole lot of bad with turnovers.

That’s where the consistency comes into play. Jameis Winston is an incredibly smart guy on the football field, going back to running Jimbo Fisher’s pro-style offense as a redshirt freshman. That season is still the most prolific offense in college football history(LSU needed an extra game to score three more points in a season).
Also thought it interesting the article backs up Cameron Giles' "Winston is football smart" observation, given comments about crablegs and Winston eating Ws.

Favoring Winston because he now gets Sean Payton is focusing on situation, not so much on talent. Winston getting his eye surgery is good to know but changes between the ears are much more relevant for ling term dynasty value.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:36 am

In the dictionary, Winston's picture would be next to the word Potential.

He could resurrect his career and both WR's and DB's alike could never argue that he does throw a beautiful ball.

Personally, I have my doubts but he is an interesting watch.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:03 pm

To me there’s no doubt he’s a good starting QB. Question is - is he good enough to get a team into the playoffs?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:30 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:36 am In the dictionary, Winston's picture would be next to the word Potential.

He could resurrect his career and both WR's and DB's alike could never argue that he does throw a beautiful ball.

Personally, I have my doubts but he is an interesting watch.
:lol: That's funny. To me, there is more than enough sample size to show Winston isn't a starting caliber QB. The NFL has passed on him 2 years in a row for now, to outright sign him as one. There is a reason he's on the deal he is. It tells us how he's viewed by the leagues brass.

No doubt he has an arm, and throws some nice passes, but there have been lots of QB's who have done that. Winston's problem is between the ears, as someone else has stated recently, and it's not correctable, IMO. He would have shown some progress by now, but he's actually regressed. He doesn't make good decisions on or off the field. I think he's capable of being a good backup, but not the guy you want leading your team.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

gmd0047
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby gmd0047 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:28 am

^Are you gonna apologize if he goes off?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:32 am

gmd0047 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:28 am ^Are you gonna apologize if he goes off?
I don't know him, so no. Do people generally apologize to people if they are wrong on player assessments in Fantasy Football? We'd need an entire sub forum for apologies.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:12 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:32 am
gmd0047 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:28 am ^Are you gonna apologize if he goes off?
I don't know him, so no. Do people generally apologize to people if they are wrong on player assessments in Fantasy Football? We'd need an entire sub forum for apologies.
Firstly, I'd like to apologize to Corey Davis for putting so much faith into him. It's not you Corey, it's me.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:15 am

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:12 am
Firstly, I'd like to apologize to Corey Davis for putting so much faith into him. It's not you Corey, it's me.
:lol:

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:30 am

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:12 am
I told people Kendall Hunter would be Ray Rice, sorry board members.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:27 pm

Jameis is that guy you can show him a million times how to do something and he'll say, "I got it" and he'll even show you over and over in practice .. but then you put him in the game and he goes right back to whatever it is that Jameis does ..

Jameis is going to Jameis .. and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it. Funny thing is that I moved to the panhandle of FL and there's a ton of Saints fan here .. I just laugh, and laugh, and laugh ...

(Tampa Bay fan, thanks for reading).
@PlankMelody

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:11 pm

Plank wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:27 pm Jameis is that guy you can show him a million times how to do something and he'll say, "I got it" and he'll even show you over and over in practice .. but then you put him in the game and he goes right back to whatever it is that Jameis does ..

Jameis is going to Jameis .. and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it. Funny thing is that I moved to the panhandle of FL and there's a ton of Saints fan here .. I just laugh, and laugh, and laugh ...

This should do it.

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status ... 0705841153

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:14 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:11 pm
Plank wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:27 pm Jameis is that guy you can show him a million times how to do something and he'll say, "I got it" and he'll even show you over and over in practice .. but then you put him in the game and he goes right back to whatever it is that Jameis does ..

This should do it.

Maaaan. I cracked up when I saw that yesterday. He got BODIED.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:37 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:14 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:11 pm

This should do it.

Maaaan. I cracked up when I saw that yesterday. He got BODIED.
I think the "Tackle Master 7" is the nephew of the tackling dummy that got Alfred Blue at the combine. Certainly living up to it's name.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:42 pm

I forget who the tv commenters were when it aired on NFL network but they said he wouldn't be charged with running the ball. After he got back to the QBs, they all laughed about it.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def