Is Jameis Winston a Starting QB

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
User avatar
Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate
Posts: 7653
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 1:47 pm

Re: Is Jameis Winston a Starting QB

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:31 pm

He's the exact same player he was day 1 rookie year. That's alarming.

Cameron Giles
Degenerate
Degenerate
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:06 pm

Re: Is Jameis Winston a Starting QB

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:29 pm

Winston will be 26 years old when he hits free agency. If Tampa Bay doesn't bring him back, some team will bank on a change of scenery helping him. He's still young enough to be enticing to teams that they can still mold him the right way.

For Tampa, the reality is this:

1. They currently hold the 11th pick, where it's possible to get a new QB, but it may not be one that's ready to start from Day 1 in a Bruce Arians offense.
2. They do not have another QB on the roster to start for next year.
3. They will absolutely need a bridge QB, whether it's Winston or someone else.

My money is on Winston returning on a short-term deal to TB.

User avatar
gunfrees
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: Is Jameis Winston a Starting QB

Postby gunfrees » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:32 pm

Image


The turnovers are a problem, but even when he throws 2 or less per game the team still finds a way to let him down. Give him a run game and a decent OLine and I think he'll thrive
12 team dynasty | 1 QB | .5 ppr

QBs: Winston, Josh Allen
WRs: Davante, Diggs, Juju, Cooks, JJWhiteside
RBs: Miles Sanders
TE: OJ Howard, Goedert, Ian Thomas

2020: 1.02, 1.07, 1.12 / 2.02, 2.07

Ice
Player of the Year
Player of the Year
Posts: 2050
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 6:17 pm

Re: Is Jameis Winston a Starting QB

Postby Ice » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:50 pm

gunfrees wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:32 pm
Image


The turnovers are a problem, but even when he throws 2 or less per game the team still finds a way to let him down. Give him a run game and a decent OLine and I think he'll thrive
What’s obvious to all is Winston does have skill but what is even more obvious is he can’t read defenses.

Turnovers will ultimately undo him.

2 per game at the NFL level is unacceptable. He is the one letting his team down.

User avatar
FiremanEd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 5944
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: Is Jameis Winston a Starting QB

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:26 pm

It’s a two way street and I think varies game to game (as to who the loss falls on). The D has had flashes, but also crumbles. The run game is inconsistent at best. Their pass blocking is questionable. There special teams is inconsistent. Overall, Jameis fits right in. He’s just part of the problem. I wouldn’t put more on him than the other spots, as I’ve seen him do very good and his team stink in every facet around him. That said, he has his share is silly plays and games as well. Inconsistency is his issue. His team doesn’t help him though. He had to shoulder a lot, fairly or unfairly.

Ice
Player of the Year
Player of the Year
Posts: 2050
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 6:17 pm

Re: Is Jameis Winston a Starting QB

Postby Ice » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:53 pm

FiremanEd wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:26 pm
It’s a two way street and I think varies game to game (as to who the loss falls on). The D has had flashes, but also crumbles. The run game is inconsistent at best. Their pass blocking is questionable. There special teams is inconsistent. Overall, Jameis fits right in. He’s just part of the problem. I wouldn’t put more on him than the other spots, as I’ve seen him do very good and his team stink in every facet around him. That said, he has his share is silly plays and games as well. Inconsistency is his issue. His team doesn’t help him though. He had to shoulder a lot, fairly or unfairly.
I guess you can argue plenty of blame to go around but when a QB has played in 67 games and has 78 interceptions that is a problem. Throw in another 18 fumbles and the problem grows. So far this season he has 22 TD's and 20 Int's which leads the league by 6 Int's.

Fantasy wise he is a solid QB, NFL wise this team will never go anywhere unless he somehow cleans this up but this year he is regressing in the turnover department.

Teams can deal just fine with a 2 to 1 ratio but when it is close to a 1-1 the odds of finishing anywhere close to above 500 is slim.

Winston is like Cutler IMO. One can see the potential but in the end he is a coach killer because they throw more interceptions than games played. These days given how much teams throw, a 3.3 career int. percentage is not good. Winston is up to 4.6% this year.

I get he throws a beautiful ball but that coach won't tolerate those turnovers much longer.

I expect Tampa to move on next season personally which will hurt both Evans and Godwin so those two WR's are sell high candidates this off season IMO.

User avatar
Orenthal Shames
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame
Posts: 3393
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:13 pm

Re: Is Jameis Winston a Starting QB

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:40 am

First 67 career starts:

Peyton Manning
17,190 yards, 117 TDs, 84 INTs, 61% completion rate, 85.4 passer rating

Jameis Winston:
18,399 yards, 111 TDs, 78 INTs, 61% completion rate, 86.9 passer rating
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 man rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19 Champion

QB: Winston, Dalton
RB: Kamara, Gurley, Sanders, Royce
WR: Julio, OBJ, Keenan, Fuller
TE: Kelce, Kittle

2020: 1.05

User avatar
Orenthal Shames
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame
Posts: 3393
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:13 pm

Re: Is Jameis Winston a Starting QB

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:44 am

Image
Attachments
IMG_20191215_084240.jpg
IMG_20191215_084240.jpg (183.49 KiB) Viewed 234 times
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 man rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19 Champion

QB: Winston, Dalton
RB: Kamara, Gurley, Sanders, Royce
WR: Julio, OBJ, Keenan, Fuller
TE: Kelce, Kittle

2020: 1.05

User avatar
ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate
Posts: 8466
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:32 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Is Jameis Winston a Starting QB

Postby ArrylT » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:03 am

Ice wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:50 pm
gunfrees wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:32 pm
Image


The turnovers are a problem, but even when he throws 2 or less per game the team still finds a way to let him down. Give him a run game and a decent OLine and I think he'll thrive
What’s obvious to all is Winston does have skill but what is even more obvious is he can’t read defenses.

Turnovers will ultimately undo him.

2 per game at the NFL level is unacceptable. He is the one letting his team down.
It should be noted that not all of those turnover games listed were Winstons - and thats a team turnover stat not Winston INT stat - ie other players fumbles included.

For example 2017 had a 3 INT game that the Buccaneers lost with Fitzpatrick as starter for most of the game (he threw all 3 INTs).

Fitzpatrick was also the starter in 2018 for 4 games where he threw 2 or more INTs (all losses). S

Just pointing out thats a team stat being shared - not a Winston stat.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

User avatar
Phaded
GOAT
GOAT
Posts: 11968
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:32 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Is Jameis Winston a Starting QB

Postby Phaded » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:05 am

Orenthal Shames wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:40 am
First 67 career starts:

Peyton Manning
17,190 yards, 117 TDs, 84 INTs, 61% completion rate, 85.4 passer rating

Jameis Winston:
18,399 yards, 111 TDs, 78 INTs, 61% completion rate, 86.9 passer rating
Careful, I made this comparison a while ago and people jumped down my throat.

jenkins.math
Captain
Captain
Posts: 835
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:56 am

Re: Is Jameis Winston a Starting QB

Postby jenkins.math » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:49 am

Phaded wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:05 am
Orenthal Shames wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:40 am
First 67 career starts:

Peyton Manning
17,190 yards, 117 TDs, 84 INTs, 61% completion rate, 85.4 passer rating

Jameis Winston:
18,399 yards, 111 TDs, 78 INTs, 61% completion rate, 86.9 passer rating
Careful, I made this comparison a while ago and people jumped down my throat.
Comparing any QB's stats today to those close to 2 decades ago is silly and irresponsible considering the changes made to offenses and the passing game.
14 team dynasty, 25 man roster, keep 14, .5 PPR
QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 2Flex, D/ST, K, DL, LB, DE
QB: Ryan, Mayfield
RB: Barkley, Kerryon Johnson, Gus Edwards, Pollard, Brian Hill
WR: OBJ, Mike Evans, Juju, Cooks, Corey Davis, Dede Westbrook, Fitz
TE: Njoku, Jonnu
K: Slye
D/ST: Titans, Eagles
DL: Heyward
LB: Littleton
DB: Bell

User avatar
Phaded
GOAT
GOAT
Posts: 11968
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:32 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Is Jameis Winston a Starting QB

Postby Phaded » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:02 am

What has changed about throwing interceptions?

Peyton has notoriously had very little help throughout his career in terms of defense and a run game - you could say the exact same about Jameis.

jenkins.math
Captain
Captain
Posts: 835
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:56 am

Re: Is Jameis Winston a Starting QB

Postby jenkins.math » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:19 am

Phaded wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:02 am
What has changed about throwing interceptions?

Peyton has notoriously had very little help throughout his career in terms of defense and a run game - you could say the exact same about Jameis.
WRs being able to run across the middle without worrying about getting blown up and alligator arming a ball that gets picked. The amount of physicality DBs were allowed to play with then as compared to now. The spreading and spacing of offenses in general allowing for easier reads. QBs barely allowed to be touched, thus allowing them to hold the ball in the pocket a shade longer because they know they won't take a helmet to the mouth. Passing is up and easier than ever before by every single account.
14 team dynasty, 25 man roster, keep 14, .5 PPR
QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 2Flex, D/ST, K, DL, LB, DE
QB: Ryan, Mayfield
RB: Barkley, Kerryon Johnson, Gus Edwards, Pollard, Brian Hill
WR: OBJ, Mike Evans, Juju, Cooks, Corey Davis, Dede Westbrook, Fitz
TE: Njoku, Jonnu
K: Slye
D/ST: Titans, Eagles
DL: Heyward
LB: Littleton
DB: Bell

User avatar
Phaded
GOAT
GOAT
Posts: 11968
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:32 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Is Jameis Winston a Starting QB

Postby Phaded » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:26 am

I still don't see how that impacts interceptions being thrown though? The changes in the rules certainly impact the overall change in large yardage numbers, though.

The only thing you said that could relate to interceptions is implying it is easier to read the defense now, which I whole heartedly disagree with.

steelman
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2822
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Is Jameis Winston a Starting QB

Postby steelman » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:03 pm

jenkins.math wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:49 am
Phaded wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:05 am
Orenthal Shames wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:40 am
First 67 career starts:

Peyton Manning
17,190 yards, 117 TDs, 84 INTs, 61% completion rate, 85.4 passer rating

Jameis Winston:
18,399 yards, 111 TDs, 78 INTs, 61% completion rate, 86.9 passer rating
Careful, I made this comparison a while ago and people jumped down my throat.
Comparing any QB's stats today to those close to 2 decades ago is silly and irresponsible considering the changes made to offenses and the passing game.
Nothing has changed that would affect the TD to INT ratio though. Only total numbers are affected by time, not ratios


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bjd5211, dovid74, Google [Bot], Packerland, PTW32 and 9 guests