Drew lock

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Re: Drew Lock value

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue May 19, 2020 10:31 am

ericanadian wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:00 am I’m not sure what to think of Lock. His small hands coupled with his poor downfield accuracy has me worried. He’s also going into a new offense in year two, so that’s a red flag. However, Shurmur builds around dink and dunk and Jeudy/Gordon/Fant are probably the best talent he’s had for the focal points of his system. That doesn’t even get into Sutton/Hamler. I think Lock can game manage this sort of offense and look like he’s progressing. Long term, I don’t think Lock will work out, but I could easily see him accumulating value over the next year.

I wouldn’t look to acquire, but I would definitely hold for a very good offer.
💯
His advanced metrics were downright bad last season.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue May 19, 2020 12:38 pm

I'll say this much - playing well in December when nothing is on the line means next to nothing.

Every year teams are out of contention and some youngster lights it up since all the pressure is off. Come back September/October with mics in their face and spotlights on them and they crumble.

I'm sticking to my pre draft evaluation on this one. I'd be selling, ppl are going nuts given those weapons he now has.

PTW32
Captain
Captain

Postby PTW32 » Tue May 19, 2020 12:59 pm

I floated the idea of Matty Ice for Lock + 2021 1st in my 16 team SF. The Lock owner told me he wouldn't trade him straight up for Ryan.
Team 1 10 Team PPR QB, 2RB, 3WR, 2TE, 3Flex

QB: Feilds, Lance, Stafford
RB: Javonte, Charbonnet
WR: Godwin, Boyd, Aiyuk, Mingo, Downs
TE: Kincaid, Kraft, Schoonmaker

Team 2 10 Team PPR QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3Flex
QB: Lamar, Baker
RB: Barkley, Jonathan Taylor, Ekeler, Sanders, Dillon, Pierce
WR: Diggs, Hill, Lockett, Addison
TE: Andrews, Hurst, Logan Thomas

Team 3 12 Team PPR (keep 16)
QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 3Flex

QB: Kyler, Feilds
RB: CMC, Javonte, Dobbins, Dillo, Brian Robinson
WR: AJB, Godwin, DJ Moore, Keenan, Lamb, Burks, Toney
TE: Kittle, Hockenson

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue May 19, 2020 1:25 pm

mild wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:00 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:39 am
Because he may not blow up. There a good chance he's not that good. People are hesitant because he wasn't a great prospect and was just OK last year. He really wasn't that good. The idea a couple of rookie WR's and Melvin Gordon are going to make him blow up is a bit far fetched to me. The offense is improved, but I don't expect Lock to be a difference maker at the position this year.
Not that I necessarily disagree, but the guy in my Superflex league who has him said that the fantasy analysts he listens to stumped for "Lock as the one to draft" last year (I don't know his sources). I remember him saying it to me after our draft - he was thrilled. We're clearly cooler on him than most around here but there is a decent portion of the internet that believes, and has arguably always believed.

So I guess to the OP, make sure you're selling him for a ransom to one of them.
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:42 pm Yes it will. If he stinks this year there's a good chance he's a back up next year, and Elway is gone, and then a new GM comes in and gets his guy at QB.
Lol. Zero chance they shh-can the GM / coach / both without bringing someone in to "develop him" or "fix him". We haven't even sighted the horizon on that part of the narrative yet. If Jameis, an actual sex-pest and locker room disgrace can get 5 years, then Lock has at worst got one mulligan year. How long did it take the Bears to admit defeat on Trubiskey? Rookie contracts get rope.

I disagree. There are a lot of people, including a certain Denver beat reported who believe Elway's job is on the line with Lock this year. Winston and Trubisky were top 2 picks. You're acting like Lock has even close to the same draft capital. If Lock "stinks" this year, (your words), I highly doubt he's a starter next year. There is a more than zero percent chance of that.

Fantasy analysts opinions don't hold a ton of value to me. Most are just talking into a microphone and putting out takes, and half of them aren't even 30 years old, it seems. There are a few who command a bit of respect. but in general, it's just a bunch of guys talking about football, same as on here. Only difference is they have a bit of an audience. That doesn't make their opinion more valuable to me, though.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue May 19, 2020 1:47 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:25 pm I disagree. There are a lot of people, including a certain Denver beat reported who believe Elway's job is on the line with Lock this year. Winston and Trubisky were top 2 picks. You're acting like Lock has even close to the same draft capital. If Lock "stinks" this year, (your words), I highly doubt he's a starter next year. There is a more than zero percent chance of that.

Fantasy analysts opinions don't hold a ton of value to me. Most are just talking into a microphone and putting out takes, and half of them aren't even 30 years old, it seems. There are a few who command a bit of respect. but in general, it's just a bunch of guys talking about football, same as on here. Only difference is they have a bit of an audience. That doesn't make their opinion more valuable to me, though.
We can disagree, that's fine. :)

If you want to knock how "in" on Lock Denver are strictly by draft capital, then sure. Personally, I will look at the many -many- articles and quotes coming out of Mile High right now saying how they are all-in on Lock. I'll look at how they've done everything in their power to help him succeed this year by surrounding him with talent. I'll look at the fact that they won't even entertain signing a Cam or Jameis type to compete, even though they are a loaded team now that should be thinking post-season - because that takes away from their golden boy.

He would have to truly stink up the joint this year to not get one more shot to be the starter next year, and even then I'm not certain. The worst case scenario I can imagine is a QB competition with a vet next season. I don't think he will stink that bad. I think even if he is mediocre with flashes of brilliance (much more likely) his dynasty value will still ascend, because owners can talk themselves into someone maturing and growing over time.

I don't care what you think of fantasy analysts, Pro-Lock or not. I just care if you think Lock is good enough to overpay for him. Some people do. That was my point.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue May 19, 2020 2:32 pm

Very good point, they ducking love Lock in DEN.

He also had a lot of pull in who they drafted this year; kind of like what we’re hearing about Lamar Jackson and Marquise Brown now.

So long as he doesnt implode I think DEN is fairly invested in him— Worth noting that he was DEN’s #1 QB last year, and the only reason they didnt pull the trigger on him in the 1st was because Scangarello was adamant that Flacco was the real deal :lol:

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue May 19, 2020 2:36 pm

Valhalla wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:52 am
IZigUZag wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:30 am
Flgatorguy87 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:15 am This thread is already encapsulating the difficulty I've had evaluating him.

Has anyone actually moved him or bought him recently?
Before the draft (likely higher now) Drew Lock + Eno Benjamin went for Mike Evans + Rashaad Penny in a 6pt TD league
Superflex I assume
SF/TE premium 6 passing TD -2 INT

It was a startup with rookies draft, and he drafted Evans in the late 2nd round. He must've not liked his QBs: Deshaun Watson and Dwayne Haskins and he's got a win now team. Lock was drafted at the top of top of the 6th, right after Danny Dimes and 2 rounds before Herbert/Love

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue May 19, 2020 2:47 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:32 pm Very good point, they ducking love Lock in DEN.

He also had a lot of pull in who they drafted this year; kind of like what we’re hearing about Lamar Jackson and Marquise Brown now.

So long as he doesnt implode I think DEN is fairly invested in him— Worth noting that he was DEN’s #1 QB last year, and the only reason they didnt pull the trigger on him in the 1st was because Scangarello was adamant that Flacco was the real deal :lol:
I don’t necessarily buy that. Easy to say that when they had no chance of grabbing Murray. They traded back ten spots, drafted Fant and then used the 2nd they picked up in the trade for Lock after drafting a tackle with their original 2nd. It wouldn’t shock me that they had Lock rated higher than Jones and Haskins, but not sure that means a huge amount.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue May 19, 2020 2:51 pm

ericanadian wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:47 pm
IZigUZag wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:32 pm Very good point, they ducking love Lock in DEN.

I don’t necessarily buy that. Easy to say that when they had no chance of grabbing Murray. They traded back ten spots, drafted Fant and then used the 2nd they picked up in the trade for Lock after drafting a tackle with their original 2nd. It wouldn’t shock me that they had Lock rated higher than Jones and Haskins, but not sure that means a huge amount.
I buy it. Just look at which QB fits the prototype John Elways has been shooting for since he became GM (Hint: It's not the 5'10 Kyler Murray).

Lock was also the presumptive QB1 coming into the 2018 college year; sure he slipped the 2nd round. But there were a lot of reasons to like him coming out of college that people were ignoring because of his inconsistent accuracy.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue May 19, 2020 3:58 pm

I feel like it's rare that you see an offense that's so stockpiled with talent and the most questionable part is the QB.

Lock doesn't look like a good QB, but there's a big opportunity for him to look a better than what he should. I'm not sure if I want to buy or not.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue May 19, 2020 4:39 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:58 pm I feel like it's rare that you see an offense that's so stockpiled with talent and the most questionable part is the QB.

Lock doesn't look like a good QB, but there's a big opportunity for him to look a better than what he should. I'm not sure if I want to buy or not.
The Vikings have elevated the play of Kirk Cousins. This could be similar.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue May 19, 2020 4:55 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:39 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:58 pm I feel like it's rare that you see an offense that's so stockpiled with talent and the most questionable part is the QB.

Did they? Cousins was probably a better fantasy QB in WSH with significantly worse weapons based on volume.

Andy Dalton is a good example of this, though. He had some prime QB1 years with AJG, Starvin Marvin, and Sanu.

The move to Pat Shurmur could also greatly increase Lock's volume this season, adding to his breakout potential

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue May 19, 2020 5:48 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:55 pm
Pac_Eddy wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:39 pm

Did they? Cousins was probably a better fantasy QB in WSH with significantly worse weapons based on volume.

Andy Dalton is a good example of this, though. He had some prime QB1 years with AJG, Starvin Marvin, and Sanu.

The move to Pat Shurmur could also greatly increase Lock's volume this season, adding to his breakout potential
Yeah, he's a better real life QB, not so much an improved fantasy play. Good point.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue May 19, 2020 6:21 pm

I'd rather pay less and get a guy like Carr, who's a better QB and also had weapons added, personally.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Wed May 20, 2020 6:44 am

Zero interest in Lock after last year, though now that Jeudy fell to me in the late 1st, I'm far more interested in Lock and their passing game than I ever thought I'd be. Definitely a coin flip, look forward to seeing it play out.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -