Drew lock

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ParLawGod
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Drew lock

Postby ParLawGod » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:25 am

It worries me that Denver can't seen to develop QBs (as of late anyways). If you have the roster space he's worth a gamble...but for me I'm not going out of my way to acquire him.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:40 am

djeternal2 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:28 pm
thebeast wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:58 pm I mean he hasn’t even earned a capital L in his last name around here yet.
Just wait until his first game. He'll earn an L then.
:lol:

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:57 am

IZigUZag wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:27 pm Drew Lock ... tantalizing ceiling...
This is news to me. I didn't know he had much of a following of believers. Is it just the big arm? I don't know much about him other than crappy mechanics and inaccuracy resulting from that...and my type is the super efficient college QBs like Wilson, Mayfield and Murray. Those last two aren't working out...yet. Anyways, elaborate. How is his arm like Mahomes'? Just the power you're referring to? I'd argue fellow high level baseball players Wilson and Murray have more similar raw throwing ability to Mahomes, able to throw accurately and with some zip from multiple body and arm angles. Maybe Lock does this too...I never watched film of him in college.
IZigUZag wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:27 pm ...His accuracy is inconsistent at times, but that's mostly due to poor footwork which multiple QBs have been able to fix at the NFL level...
Serious question: Can you list some QBs for me that have been able to fix their mechanics at the NFL level without ruining their level of play or just reverting back to their mechanics? I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I can't come up with any.
I suppose the best defense for Lock I would provide is that poor looking mechanics can be effective. Just look at Rivers' arm motion. I'm not thinking of a good example of crappy footwork sustaining success, though.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:12 pm

I took a flier on Lock in the draft ... very deep league ... He has a high ceiling based on his athleticism & arm strength. But given his need to develop & the Broncos atrocious record of developing QBs, I have very little confidence.

He was very fun to watch last year, but I don't think he will ever understand the pro game. Basically with Mizzou, his reads were all set prior to approaching the LoS. I watched him in preseason and the commentators were saying that he hadn't even learned to call plays in college ... yikes.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:18 pm

Valhalla wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:57 am
This is news to me. I didn't know he had much of a following of believers. Is it just the big arm? I don't know much about him other than crappy mechanics and inaccuracy resulting from that...and my type is the super efficient college QBs like Wilson, Mayfield and Murray. Those last two aren't working out...yet. Anyways, elaborate. How is his arm like Mahomes'? Just the power you're referring to? I'd argue fellow high level baseball players Wilson and Murray have more similar raw throwing ability to Mahomes, able to throw accurately and with some zip from multiple body and arm angles. Maybe Lock does this too...I never watched film of him in college.
IZigUZag wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:27 pm ...His accuracy is inconsistent at times, but that's mostly due to poor footwork which multiple QBs have been able to fix at the NFL level...
Serious question: Can you list some QBs for me that have been able to fix their mechanics at the NFL level without ruining their level of play or just reverting back to their mechanics? I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I can't come up with any.
I suppose the best defense for Lock I would provide is that poor looking mechanics can be effective. Just look at Rivers' arm motion. I'm not thinking of a good example of crappy footwork sustaining success, though.
Shoddy footwork and poor decision making were the number 1 weaknesses listed on Patrick Mahomes's scouting report. Dak Prescott's footwork has also markedly improved over time.

As far as his tantalizing ceiling: Lock has amazing arm strength and was #3 in NCAAF in number of big time throws in 2018 (via PFF) and has above average athelticism.

I tend to go for efficiency as well with QBs (Wilson, Mayfield, Murray are all head and shoulders ahead of Lock as far as prospects) but there is precedence for QBs like Lock finding success in the NFL (Carson Wentz, Ben Roethlisberger). While his ceiling is fairly high, his floor is out of the league in 2 years. :lol:

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:53 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:18 pm
Shoddy footwork and poor decision making were the number 1 weaknesses listed on Patrick Mahomes's scouting report. Dak Prescott's footwork has also markedly improved over time.

As far as his tantalizing ceiling: Lock has amazing arm strength and was #3 in NCAAF in number of big time throws in 2018 (via PFF) and has above average athelticism.

I tend to go for efficiency as well with QBs (Wilson, Mayfield, Murray are all head and shoulders ahead of Lock as far as prospects) but there is precedence for QBs like Lock finding success in the NFL (Carson Wentz, Ben Roethlisberger). While his ceiling is fairly high, his floor is out of the league in 2 years. :lol:
Thanks for the response. I had quite forgotten that people were questioning Mahomes’ footwork and decision making, but yeah those were definite concerns thinking back. I suppose people were questioning Watson’s decision making and accuracy as well, speculating it would take him a while to get used to a pro-style offense. Of course, they have done a good job of allowing him to run an offense that suits his strengths, but his accuracy and decision making certainly aren’t wrecking him.

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:10 pm

Shankopotamus wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:31 am
perkinsrooster wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:37 am
Shankopotamus wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:53 am I think he's trash, but I picked him up due to my Wasteland of a Qb roster.
Are you John Elway?
No, but my QB room looks about as bad as his. See team in sig for proof.
you ... or your sig... had me at fitz-tragic :lol: :lol:

nicely done

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:31 pm

Valhalla wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:53 pm
IZigUZag wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:18 pm

Thanks for the response. I had quite forgotten that people were questioning Mahomes’ footwork and decision making, but yeah those were definite concerns thinking back. I suppose people were questioning Watson’s decision making and accuracy as well, speculating it would take him a while to get used to a pro-style offense. Of course, they have done a good job of allowing him to run an offense that suits his strengths, but his accuracy and decision making certainly aren’t wrecking him.
Yet another example why blindly saying “talent over situation” is a major fail.

RCS
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RCS » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:00 am

I drafted him in the 3rd round of my rookie draft that is a 2 qb league and right after the draft I got an offer of Josh Allen for him. I never hit accept so fast in my life for an offer.

RB6
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby RB6 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:17 pm

Definitely worth a pickup. Even in a 1QB. Some nice weapons in Sutton, Hamilton, Lindsay, Freeman and Fant. If he flashes though, I’d sell for any profit.
.5PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
LJax, Burrow, Carr, Huntley, Heinicke, Cunningham
Adams, Kupp, Deebo, M Brown, Kirk, Wiliams, C Samuel, Palmer, E. Moore, Hodgins, Hutchinson
CMC, Barkley, Mostert, Ford, Moss, Dobbins, Dillon, Kelley, Tucker
Andrews, Higbee

PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
Mahomes, Purdy, Dalton, Henicke, Trask, Zappe
Henry, Pacheco, Robinson, Wilson, Ford, Chandler, Deuce
Hill, Kupp, Shaheed, Toney, Lazard, Metchie, Mingo, Slayton, Shenault, Atwell, Hutchinson
Pitts, Waller, Washington

PPR Best Ball Dynasty SF .5TEP
Stroud, Cousins, Willis, Mariota, Cunningham
Walker, J Cook, Miller, Zamir, Rodriguez, Carter, Penny
St. Brown, Aiyuk, DJ Moore, London, Doubs, Metchie, Scott, Claypool
Kincaid, Dulcich, Fant, Turner, Hurst

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:14 am

Mahomea still throws off balance... Don't think that has changed. But that is merely a part of his repertoire, not a fundamental flaw in his throwing motion.

Do think Andy Reid has focused him on not throwing dumb throws into coverage...

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:35 am

Reportedly will be healthy enough to begin practicing week 11, so the earliest we could see him is week 13. Won't get much of a chance for a rehearsal, so he had better hit the ground running. Broncos (Elway) can't afford to just play Lock next year to evaluate him for the long-term, they will need to address the position in the offseason if he doesn't dramatically improve upon the lack of confidence they've shown in him so far.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:28 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:35 am Reportedly will be healthy enough to begin practicing week 11, so the earliest we could see him is week 13. Won't get much of a chance for a rehearsal, so he had better hit the ground running. Broncos (Elway) can't afford to just play Lock next year to evaluate him for the long-term, they will need to address the position in the offseason if he doesn't dramatically improve upon the lack of confidence they've shown in him so far.
Not quite, he’s healthy now; theyre targeting a week 11 activation... which is admittedly a bad sign but not a death sentence. Deshaun Watson also looked terrible during the preseason, and HOU’s lack of faith in him kept him off the field for one half.

Just got to see how he looks when given the opportunity.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:38 pm

Especially considering how the Broncos played today ...

https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/11/ ... -drew-lock
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:53 pm

Feels like the Lock is about to be opened.

We’ll see what we have inside.