Mohamed Sanu traded to Patriots

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Mohamed Sanu traded to Patriots

Postby Servo » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:06 pm

Servo wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:44 am Guess we'll find out soon enough if this move is aimed towards Gordon or Harry, my gut would tell me Gordon but who knows.
Gordon to IR

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:28 pm

Edelman, Sanu, and Dorsett are locked in as the top three WR's.

Sanu's still a sneaky good fantasy pickup. Won't even cost you much and he could return some WR2 games depending on the matchup.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:37 pm

Would most agree that Josh Gordon is a better WR than Sanu? Gordon was barely averaging 10 ppg in the 5 full games he played this year. So why are we expecting Sanu to outproduce those numbers or even match it? I'm not saying he can't or that it won't happen, but people get so excited over NE WRs as though they're a lock to put up WR2 numbers just because Tom Brady is throwing them the ball. Matt Ryan is a better fantasy QB than Brady right now, and even with him, Sanu wasn't even close to being a WR2. Why is that going to change all of a sudden?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:44 pm

Goddard wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:37 pm Would most agree that Josh Gordon is a better WR than Sanu? Gordon was barely averaging 10 ppg in the 5 full games he played this year. So why are we expecting Sanu to outproduce those numbers or even match it? I'm not saying he can't or that it won't happen, but people get so excited over NE WRs as though they're a lock to put up WR2 numbers just because Tom Brady is throwing them the ball. Matt Ryan is a better fantasy QB than Brady right now, and even with him, Sanu wasn't even close to being a WR2. Why is that going to change all of a sudden?
I don't think Sanu is going to be a WR2. I said he will put up WR2 numbers on some nights. Josh Gordon is a better WR, but Sanu is a better slot WR. And Gordon did have a few games this season of 3/73/1 and 6/83.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:48 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:44 pm
Goddard wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:37 pm Would most agree that Josh Gordon is a better WR than Sanu? Gordon was barely averaging 10 ppg in the 5 full games he played this year. So why are we expecting Sanu to outproduce those numbers or even match it? I'm not saying he can't or that it won't happen, but people get so excited over NE WRs as though they're a lock to put up WR2 numbers just because Tom Brady is throwing them the ball. Matt Ryan is a better fantasy QB than Brady right now, and even with him, Sanu wasn't even close to being a WR2. Why is that going to change all of a sudden?
I don't think Sanu is going to be a WR2. I said he will put up WR2 numbers on some nights. Josh Gordon is a better WR, but Sanu is a better slot WR. And Gordon did have a few games this season of 3/73/1 and 6/83.
I'm sure he'll have a few WR2 games and maybe even some WR1 games where Brady throws 2 TDs to him. My post wasn't necessarily intended at you, but in general about how people get so excited about any WR that signs or is traded to NE. But even a few WR2 games isn't something to get excited about, because no one knows when those games will come so he's probably be on your bench when he has them. Or if someone is starting him expecting a WR2 game that week, it's very likely they get disappointed and he puts up 3/23. And are we sure he plays the slot? I'm pretty sure that's where Edelman will be lined up most of the time.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:13 pm

Goddard wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:37 pm Would most agree that Josh Gordon is a better WR than Sanu?
Honestly, 2019 Sanu is probably a better player.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:29 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:13 pm
Goddard wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:37 pm Would most agree that Josh Gordon is a better WR than Sanu?
Is he though? And if he is, by how much? Gordon played 5 full games and averaged 4 catches and 57 yards per game. Sanu is averaging 4.7 catches and 44.7 yards. Both have 1 TD on the season, but Sanu's played in 2 more games. I'd also argue that Sanu has had the better QB for this year as well. Again, even if he matches Gordon's numbers, I don't think that's anything to get all that excited about. I guess all I'm saying is, are we really expecting Sanu to all of a sudden be a different player than he has been most of his career and be a consistent fantasy starter? I doubt it, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:49 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:13 pm
But 2013 Josh Gordon was a god.

On a more serious note, I agree with you.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:10 pm

Gordon is going to IR and will be waived, so this trade is making more sense now. I felt like either bad news was coming for Harry or Gordon for them to make this move.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:02 pm

I suspect Sanu was brought in for his versatility, not to be any kind of target monster. He’s a solid run blocker on the outside, which was no longer necessary in Atlanta as the Falcons move away from outside zone. He also seems to pick up an offense quickly given his almost immediate production in Atlanta under a Shanahan system known to be complicated. The Brandon Lafell mention is probably a good comp. As others have said, he’ll put up a decent game or two, but he’s mostly in New England to contribute to winning, not the stat line.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:17 am

Im a pats fan and even i laugh at how pumped up everyone gets when a WR gets traded there. There will NEVER be a Brady to Moss connection again and even though that was 10-12 years ago now thats still what i feel everyone is chasing, its hilarious. Brady is not the same Qb he was, he is good and will still get it done when he has to, but not good enough anymore to produce a consistent WR1. Edelmans consistency is only based on his amount of catches. This thread does not need to go on any longer. Like others have said Sanu will have Wr2 games here and there but will most likely be a Wr3 flex play like he has always been, and will throw a fun TD or 2 this season like he always has. Thread done Lol

badbuddah
Captain
Captain

Postby badbuddah » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:16 am

I've always hated guys like Sanu and Marvin Jones III because they are never startable and just sap your real stars from having good days. Case and point last week I had to start Golladay due to studs being on bye, and ofc look who gets 3 Tds...Same with Atlanta any time Sanu had a big TD it was just taking away from Julio or Ridley.
12 Team UNLIMITED Keeper / 23 Roster 1.0-PPR: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB/TE, 1 K, 1 DEF 2 IR - 11th Year

QB: L. Jackson, J. Browning
RB: Aaron Jones, D'Ernest Johnson, E. Mitchell, Dalvin Cook, Jamaal Williams, Alexander Mattison, K. Miller, P. Taylor
WR: R. Doubs, G. Pickens, Christian Kirk, Juju, D. Hopkins, D. Wicks, K. Boutte
TE: Z. Ertz, C. Okonkwo, Trey McBride, Tucker Kraft
K: T. Bass, J. Moody
DEF: San Francisco

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:39 am

badbuddah wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:16 am I've always hated guys like Sanu and Marvin Jones III because they are never startable and just sap your real stars from having good days. Case and point last week I had to start Golladay due to studs being on bye, and ofc look who gets 3 Tds...Same with Atlanta any time Sanu had a big TD it was just taking away from Julio or Ridley.
I’ve always appreciated guys like Marvin and Sanu because they cost a small fraction of the requested price of their teammate Golladay or Ridley. You can build a stronger rb duo, go get one of the elite tight ends, or get a top 3 qb if your choice instead of going after Golladay, and then you can get pretty competitive Golladay-type production much, much cheaper in getting Marvin.

Of course, the counter is that you can pass on Russell Wilson and go Golladay and then get the much cheaper qb production. Multiple ways to approach a roster construct. I’m just pointing out why I don’t hate, but actually appreciate guys like Sanu.

Also...I think part of the love isn’t just “omg Tom Brady.” It’s the fact that Sanu is no longer competing with Julio and Ridley for targets. Now it’s Edelman and Dorsett, and that’s maybe some of the attraction. Maybe even more so because Sanu is maybe? the big red zone option go-to on his team for the first time ever. Maybe...

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:50 am

badbuddah wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:16 am I've always hated guys like Sanu and Marvin Jones III because they are never startable and just sap your real stars from having good days. Case and point last week I had to start Golladay due to studs being on bye, and ofc look who gets 3 Tds...Same with Atlanta any time Sanu had a big TD it was just taking away from Julio or Ridley.
Those types of WR's are perfect daily leagues, especially when you know there's a shadow corner on the better WR.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:52 am

I own a couple of Sanu shares, including one on a solid contender. I actually used Sanu on this team (in the lineup last year). I think that is some thing some owners forget - is that guys like Sanu can be helpful for your roster when you least expect it because the guys you want to start are on bye / injured / struggling.

Anyways I would not use the word 'excited'. Especially since I am never fond of owning Patriots. ;) However what I am is pleased. I think this actually could improve Sanus floor, and that is, as a injury depth/bye week option is something I like. I am not too worried if his ceiling hasnt changed, since he was never a guy you're expecting a 10-200-2 type game from regardless, but if he is going to be more likely to put out 11-14 points a week, thats a good thing for my team.

In the end a lot will depend on if Sanu can fit into the demands of the Patriots scheme - which I assume they feel is likely due to what they've spent to get him & the time spent going after him - but there are change of scenery does invigorate a WR immediately (for example Amari Cooper, Josh Gordon last year) in-season. So I am not expecting WR1/2 production but if I am getting more stable WR3/Flex production then good. :)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..