Pats DST

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Re: Pats DST

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:28 pm

thebeast wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:33 am Why is anyone still playing in a dynasty league with DSTs?
Because people like different things.

I'm with the other guy earlier, I don't really see a problem with it. I play in leagues that use D and K, leagues that don't, and leagues that use IDP. It's just a slightly different game is all.

I will say that in the league I'm in that uses defenses, the elite ones have been traded for mid firsts, and for good reason. If you had the Seahawks in their prime, or the Bears last year, you had a distinct positional advantage. Sure, how good a defenses is changes comparatively quickly, but the truly good ones usually put up good numbers for at least a few years, which is pretty much the same for most other non-QB positions. Look at the top RBs from say 4 season ago and tell me how many are still relevant today.

In regards to the Pats D, I agree with commenters above that they will come down to earth soon, but they are still about as close to a "set it and forget it" defense as it gets this year. And while it's surprising they are the overall #1 (and by what margin!), it's not like they haven't been a solid defense the last few years, so this isn't as completely unexpected as say Chark being the WR5, or the entire Minshew situation.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:00 pm

sugbear65 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:44 pm Lol, some of these comments feel almost elitist. Play with a def, without def, it doesn’t matter. There is no “right” way to dynasty, play however you prefer. Sure def can be a little flukey, but let’s not act like luck isn’t a vital factor at any position. Will Fuller can put up 50+ while M. Evans goose eggs it, who predicted that? Or T. Bridgewater out pacing Mahomes last week. Or any number of examples I could use.
I also completely disagree that you can’t plan for a defense. I employed the Patri-Jets strategy at defense this year everywhere. If you looked at the schedule you would have easily seen this early stretch of cupcakes for the Pats, and the Jets have a nice streak of bums to play in the back half, so the two line up perfectly. I’d say it’s paid of handsomely so far, and it wasn’t all just dumb luck, there was a thought process involved.
It's all good to have a difference of opinion about a thread topic, and I and get into it from time to time, no doubt. However, to skew the topic to one's own view of the justification for the threads topic in the the first place, and to do it consistently, on something of this nature is patronizing and self aggrandizing.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:00 pm

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:28 pm
thebeast wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:33 am Why is anyone still playing in a dynasty league with DSTs?

I'm with the other guy earlier, I don't really see a problem with it. I play in leagues that use D and K, leagues that don't, and leagues that use IDP. It's just a slightly different game is all.

I will say that in the league I'm in that uses defenses, the elite ones have been traded for mid firsts, and for good reason. If you had the Seahawks in their prime, or the Bears last year, you had a distinct positional advantage. Sure, how good a defenses is changes comparatively quickly, but the truly good ones usually put up good numbers for at least a few years, which is pretty much the same for most other non-QB positions. Look at the top RBs from say 4 season ago and tell me how many are still relevant today.

In regards to the Pats D, I agree with commenters above that they will come down to earth soon, but they are still about as close to a "set it and forget it" defense as it gets this year. And while it's surprising they are the overall #1 (and by what margin!), it's not like they haven't been a solid defense the last few years, so this isn't as completely unexpected as say Chark being the WR5, or the entire Minshew situation.
You’re in a league where a defense was traded for a mid first? Puke. I’m definitely in the wrong thread. I’ll leave you all to it.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:07 pm

Some people like different things. I agree. I actually lobbied for a league I took an orphan over in a year ago to remove D/ST. Yet this year, I joined one that had it in a startup. (The only one I have with D/ST). Everything else about it I liked. 14 teams, SF/TE premium. I asked the commish about the D's, and his explanation on it was rational. He enjoyed the aspect of it, and I decided to join. I do understand the idea of dynasty being about player evaluation, and all that, but D/ST is more about franchise evaluation. Belicheck tends to have a good D. Certain franchises tend to be better defensively, over the years. There is in fact, strategy to D/ST. It's not something I'm huge on, but I understand why some may like it.

For those who don't like it, and in fact have openly showed to consider themselves above the idea, they can just not partake in the discussion on this thread, in my opinion.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:51 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:07 pm

Some people like different things. I agree. I actually lobbied for a league I took an orphan over in a year ago to remove D/ST. Yet this year, I joined one that had it in a startup. (The only one I have with D/ST). Everything else about it I liked. 14 teams, SF/TE premium. I asked the commish about the D's, and his explanation on it was rational. He enjoyed the aspect of it, and I decided to join. I do understand the idea of dynasty being about player evaluation, and all that, but D/ST is more about franchise evaluation. Belicheck tends to have a good D. Certain franchises tend to be better defensively, over the years. There is in fact, strategy to D/ST. It's not something I'm huge on, but I understand why some may like it.

For those who don't like it, and in fact have openly showed to consider themselves above the idea, they can just not partake in the discussion on this thread, in my opinion.
This is pretty much it. It doesn't have to be for everyone, as long as most in the league enjoy it.

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:55 pm

thebeast wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:00 pm

You’re in a league where a defense was traded for a mid first? Puke. I’m definitely in the wrong thread. I’ll leave you all to it.
Haha, I hear ya. But, for the sake of argument, what is the difference in a contender paying a first for the Seahawks during their dominant run, or the bears last year, and paying a first for a random RB that may or may not be as successful (or healthy) the following season but could help you in a title run this year?

And I'll add that league has been going strong for over a decade, and trades like that have happened at least twice, with top defenses going for a 2nd having happened numerous times.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:58 am

Someone dropped the Pats back in early August and I scooped them immediately. Really dumb how I didn't take them in my main redraft this year, maybe it was because I was too hammered, ugh.

They are putting up such a positional disadvantage, it's incredible. Jets & Browns next, you literally can roll with Pats DST for 8 straight weeks without blinking.

"Scouting" defenses is pretty cut and dry, we've seen teams like Chicago, 49ers, etc. load up on defensive talent over the last few draft classes and trading for someone like Mack. One defense I'm intrigued by and will monitor is Washington...I know...I know. Crap ton of problems but they have a good amount of talent and could turn it around if their offense can be "reasonable".