Pats DST

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jomaed
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Pats DST

Postby jomaed » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:11 pm

BigJoeWall72 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:41 am
thebeast wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:33 am Why is anyone still playing in a dynasty league with DSTs?
I am surprised this comment isn't further up. Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad at those people who play dynasty with DSTs... I just genuinely didn't think anyone did. It seems so strange to me for a few of the mentioned reasons (no developing of talent, year-to-year volatility, etc). Plus there are so many moving parts (different players, positions, and schemes) within just that one "position" on your dynasty roster. DSTs are great for redraft, but I wouldn't like to play in a dynasty league with DSTs.
This. To add, each year there are a few top "NFL" defenses that are horrible fantasy wise. You do all the research and end up correctly picking a top 5 defense just to have a "2018 KC Cheifs type defense" outscore them. Its just stupid.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:21 pm

jomaed wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:11 pm
thebeast wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:33 am Why is anyone still playing in a dynasty league with DSTs?
I am surprised this comment isn't further up. Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad at those people who play dynasty with DSTs... I just genuinely didn't think anyone did. It seems so strange to me for a few of the mentioned reasons (no developing of talent, year-to-year volatility, etc). Plus there are so many moving parts (different players, positions, and schemes) within just that one "position" on your dynasty roster. DSTs are great for redraft, but I wouldn't like to play in a dynasty league with DSTs.
This. To add, each year there are a few top "NFL" defenses that are horrible fantasy wise. You do all the research and end up correctly picking a top 5 defense just to have a "2018 KC Cheifs type defense" outscore them. Its just stupid.
Individual players are also pretty volatile and you do research on them just to have a guy you consider a JAG outscore them. There are also defenses that are good for 3-4 years (like most individual players) or some even around 10 years. Baltimore had a good defense for a long long time, so did pittsburgh. Seattle and Denver had great ones for about 3-4 years. Cant ignore these teams.

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:22 pm

In earlier years of dynasty play, say around 10-15 years ago, I believe DST and kickers was more common. Dynasty was newer, so the classic "part of football" positions were ported over more often.

I use to be in the keep DST/K because they're "part of football" camp too - until I realized several years back they're so much more random, and more importantly, there is nearly zero dynasty quality to them.

There are very rare exceptions, but overall, the strategy involved for them compared to real dynasty skill position players is laughable. So, to me, they're 90% nuisance and 10% fun - an often random amount of points you have to plan for for about 1-10 seconds each week.

They're totally fine in redraft though. But my league's commish and few other owners still want them in dynasty, so they're unfortunately probably here to stay. Won't stop me from voting to get rid of DSTs and Ks every year though!
Last edited by DLF3000 on Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:25 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:57 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:28 am This is why valuing DSTs long-term in dynasty is dumb. Each year it's a different team. Remember when the Jaguars defense was playing like this two years ago?

It'll be interesting to see what happens in a few weeks:

Browns
Ravens
Eagles
Cowboys
Texans
Chiefs
Similar to Lamar Jackson looking unstoppable after his first 2 games (Miami and Arizona) he has come back down to earth now that he is facing some teams that offer any sort of resistance. I am taking the same wait and see approach with the Pats defense. The offenses they have faced so far have been laughable.
I don't see the Browns as a tough matchup. That OL stinks, and Baker is turning the ball over. Should be a plus matchup for the Pats D.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:52 pm

Just the fact that this is the first time in the last six years that I've ever seen a post about D/ST in this forum is all you need to know. And just how much research did you do this last offseason about the prospects of a D/ST?

I've learn from Sesame Street that sometimes "one of these things is not like the others".
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:07 pm

Hottoddies wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:52 pm Just the fact that this is the first time in the last six years that I've ever seen a post about D/ST in this forum is all you need to know. And just how much research did you do this last offseason about the prospects of a D/ST?

I've learn from Sesame Street that sometimes "one of these things is not like the others".
Congratulations.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:12 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:11 am Is there anyone else who is being carried this season by the NE DST? I haven't lost yet this season, and a lot of that is because of the Pats. Feels a little cheap honestly.
I feel ya. I am unbeaten, and honestly had my team built for next year. I have 3 firsts, including the potential 1.01 next year. The league is in it's first year, and it's the only one I have with D/ST. I figured NE would have a good D this year, with the division, plus Belicheck's D is usual solid. I did not expect quite this output. I really was hoping to squeak into the playoffs, as I made my team build more for 2020, but Godwin breaking out and Dalvin exploding has made me a contender, along with the Pats D. Not sure they can sustain this, but I'm not trading them unless I get something tangible at this point.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:16 pm

I would bet many of the leagues that have dst and kicker are either people playing in FFPC, which isn’t dynasty but a deep keeper league. Or a league where a bunch of friends who had a redraft league but liked the idea of dynasty set it up just as their regular redraft league.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:20 pm

thebeast wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:16 pm I would bet many of the leagues that have dst and kicker are either people playing in FFPC, which isn’t dynasty but a deep keeper league. Or a league where a bunch of friends who had a redraft league but liked the idea of dynasty set it up just as their regular redraft league.
This thread isn't about the validity of D/ST in Dynasty, or who plays it. It's about the Pats D/ST. There's really no need to keep going on about it. You don't think D/ST belongs in Dynasty, fine. This thread is directly related to those who play with it. You're purposely directing the thread off course because you don't like the premise it's built on. Why not just move on to a thread that you can relate to?

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:38 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:20 pm
thebeast wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:16 pm I would bet many of the leagues that have dst and kicker are either people playing in FFPC, which isn’t dynasty but a deep keeper league. Or a league where a bunch of friends who had a redraft league but liked the idea of dynasty set it up just as their regular redraft league.
This thread isn't about the validity of D/ST in Dynasty, or who plays it. It's about the Pats D/ST. There's really no need to keep going on about it. You don't think D/ST belongs in Dynasty, fine. This thread is directly related to those who play with it. You're purposely directing the thread off course because you don't like the premise it's built on. Why not just move on to a thread that you can relate to?
I’ll add to topics anyway I see fit, I don’t need you to moderate me. It’s funny that you would be the one to call anyone out, back to my ignore list you go. Please put me on yours.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:43 pm

thebeast wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:38 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:20 pm
I’ll add to topics anyway I see fit, I don’t need you to moderate me. It’s funny that you would be the one to call anyone out, back to my ignore list you go. Please put me on yours.

See ya. :wave: It will be my pleasure.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:52 pm

hockeyBjj wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:19 am Team 1 I'm being helped by pats D. Won weekly high score payout twice so far thanks in part to them

I've turned down two offers of a replacement D and a 2nd from other contenders for them. Honestly, I want to repeat as champ. In my position I don't know if I'd sell for a late 1st. Unfortunately they play the Dolphins week 17 when there's no fantasy, but they play Bills week 16 and Bengals week 15.

Watch out for Chiefs week 14 tho if you're truly relying on them
I just saw the GB Defense go for a 2021 2nd and the Cardinals D in the league I have D's in, so the Pats D needs to be worth more than that.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:03 pm

Guess I'm an amateur for having DST in my league. Good to know. Maybe in 5 years I'll be as wise as some in this thread.

purplepride28
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby purplepride28 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:54 pm

Might just be the homer in me but seems as though the Vikings defense has always been a top tier defense for a long period of time. Even when they weren’t winning Much they had a defense that created a lot of sacks and turnovers and scherels/harvin/Patterson and some pretty prolific return men. Jared Allen’s record sack campaign. Winfield etc. they seem to always have a good fantasy d.

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:44 pm

Lol, some of these comments feel almost elitist. Play with a def, without def, it doesn’t matter. There is no “right” way to dynasty, play however you prefer. Sure def can be a little flukey, but let’s not act like luck isn’t a vital factor at any position. Will Fuller can put up 50+ while M. Evans goose eggs it, who predicted that? Or T. Bridgewater out pacing Mahomes last week. Or any number of examples I could use.
I also completely disagree that you can’t plan for a defense. I employed the Patri-Jets strategy at defense this year everywhere. If you looked at the schedule you would have easily seen this early stretch of cupcakes for the Pats, and the Jets have a nice streak of bums to play in the back half, so the two line up perfectly. I’d say it’s paid of handsomely so far, and it wasn’t all just dumb luck, there was a thought process involved.