What does your league do to help out the weaker teams

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Wizard
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

What does your league do to help out the weaker teams

Postby Wizard » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:53 pm

I'm assuming most leagues do a reverse order rookie draft to help the weaker teams get first shot at the incoming studs but what if that's not enough. I look at my league and I see 3 or 4 teams that are in such bad shape it would take multiple years of hitting on studs in 1st and 2nd rounds to get back into it. We all know the odds of hitting studs in both rounds is pretty slim to none. I'm concerned that some owners might just bail since it seems hopeless. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking at least to hold the rookie draft very near the start of the season so they can see what rookies are producing in preseason games and who it getting talked up the most. It might increase their odds of picking up the right player but at the same time I don't want to punish the better teams who probably put in more homework trying to build up their teams. Any ideas are appreciated.
QB -Tom Brady, Nick Foles Deshaun Watson

RB - Kenyan Drake, Darrius Guise, Tevin Coleman, Leonard Fournett, Kareem Hunt, Justin Jackson, Jaylen Samuels, Carlos Hyde, Duke Johnson Jr., Jordan Wilkins, CJ Anderson, Chris Warren,

WR - Davante Adams , T.Y. Hilton, Courtland Sutton, Devin Funchess, Doug Baldwin, Michael Crabtree, Antonio Callaway, J’Mon Moore, Dylan Cantrell, Keith Kirkwood, James Richie

TE - Zach Ertz, Harris Demetrius, Hayden Hurst

Paul717
Role Player
Role Player

Re: What does your league do to help out the weaker teams

Postby Paul717 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:16 pm

In our 16 team league, the 8 teams who do NOT make the playoffs are entered in a drawing for draft position the following year. Worst team gets the most "lottery balls" in drawing for the 1st pick, etc. Later we implemented a tweak: Team with worst record shall pick no later than 3rd, and team with 2nd worst record shall pick no later than 5th. We also do not do a snake draft. So the team which picks at 1.01 also picks at 2.01, etc. Finally, we hold our draft in late August, preferably after 3 preseason games have been played, but always at least 2 preseason games played. This is more a function of most of the league also being in a Baseball league together, and interest in a draft in say May would be limited. Agreed, that all can still take time for a rebuilding team. Turnover is very low in our league though, most of the owners have been in it 15 years plus, and I think only 2 are less than 5 years.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Deshaun Watson, AJ McCarron
RB: Aaron Jones, Peyton Barber, Jalen Richard, Trayveon Williams, DeAndre Washington, Darrel Williams, Dare Ogunbowale
WR: Calvin Ridley, Jamison Crowder, Emmanuel Sanders, A.J. Brown, Geronimo Allison, James Washington, DaeSean Hamilton, Paul Richardson, Riley Ridley, Zach Pascal, Keelan Doss, Antonio Brown :(
TE: T.J. Hockenson
K: Some kicker
Team DST: Lions

Picks:
2020: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd (Shrimp), 3rd (Harlem Hailmakers), 4th (Cookie Monsters), 5th (Smooth Doctors), 5th (Shrimp), 8th

bjd5211
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:37 pm

Nothing outside of the standard worst teams draft higher, owners learn or move on. Leagues don't fold because of one or two bad teams, you can always find someone to fill vacancies if you really want to. I doubt any of those teams are truly that bad that they are years away from relevancy, it just takes a good and involved owner. I took over a team prior to the 2017 rookie draft that had no picks, and Andy Dalton (1QB league) and Pierre Garcon as my best two players on a roster of mostly retired and out of the league guys. I have no idea how the team was allowed to get in that state, but it didn't cause the league to fold. Now I have a roster of
QB: Lamar, Baker, Allen
RB: Barkley, Jacobs, Kerryon, Guice
WR: Chark, Gallup, Harry, MVS, Preston
TE: Henry, Fant, Goedert

I started 3-0 and have succumbed a bit to injuries, but still competitive and a good shot at the playoffs and I believe a legit contender next year. So I turned that absolute garbage team into a very quality one in just 2 years.

Under The Bridge
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Under The Bridge » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:25 pm

Wizard wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:53 pm
I'm assuming most leagues do a reverse order rookie draft to help the weaker teams get first shot at the incoming studs but what if that's not enough. I look at my league and I see 3 or 4 teams that are in such bad shape it would take multiple years of hitting on studs in 1st and 2nd rounds to get back into it. We all know the odds of hitting studs in both rounds is pretty slim to none. I'm concerned that some owners might just bail since it seems hopeless. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking at least to hold the rookie draft very near the start of the season so they can see what rookies are producing in preseason games and who it getting talked up the most. It might increase their odds of picking up the right player but at the same time I don't want to punish the better teams who probably put in more homework trying to build up their teams. Any ideas are appreciated.
Those teams could still trade away their high picks to a good team in what is perceived as a "bad" trade. And then you could incentivize blatant tanking. If you have express, no-tanking rules, then that's good, but most leagues don't have trade reviews, or at least that's what I have gathered. Personally, I kinda like them. Sometimes a guy could make a bad trade like their first round draft pick for Tyrell Williams and CJ Anderson. That's a real deal I had on the table for the 2017 draft, but I knew not to take it, and I had actually asked the other owner to up the ante by making it Demariyus Thomas and Carlos Hyde. He didn't want to do that, so I took Run CMC, and I'm glad I did, because this year I'd be terrible with Demariyus and Hyde (PPR league).

Dynasty is just cyclical like that, so the draft is one thing, but maybe a trade review system would be nice. Other than that, you could consider giving the bad teams compensatory picks or extra FABB for being so bad, but ionno how to make that work without irking other teams. B/c why should they get high draft picks, extra FABB, AND additional draft picks just for being bad. The draft should be good enough. But if the FABB is a small amount, and the compensatory pick is like a 4th round selection, then I might be OK with it.

Maybe you can have them pick up a player or two for free at the end of the season from the current waiver pool. They tend to be scrubs, but in IDP leagues, you can sometimes find decent starters. And sometimes you can take a flier a guy who's currently on a real team's practice squad and/or went undrafted in the previous rookie draft.

Another idea is to just give them some additional tools to help them make better decisions. Trade calculators are a start, but sites like PlayerProfiler and other resources that help you gauge how good a draft prospect is, relative to someone else helps. Heck, PFF grades/rankings can be helpful too. But I do understand why you may not want to go this route. Some people have told me that "they can't give away all their secrets." I don't think that's unethical, but I'm also not a fan of that type of behavior.

bjd5211
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:27 pm

No a "trade review system" has no place in any league.

M-Dub
MVP
MVP

Postby M-Dub » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:27 pm

My league does a “toilet bowl” tournament for the non-playoff teams with the winner getting the 1.13 rookie pick. We do it elimination/survivor style, with the lowest scoring team getting eliminated each week, but you could also just set it up as a standard bracketed tourney. Maybe give the two worst teams a first round bye.

Also, just be willing to answer their questions and offer advice. Steer them towards sites like this and any dynasty podcasts you find helpful.
Darcia Lee Fan Club
12-team PPR dynasty, 17-player roster, 4-player taxi
8 starters: 1 QB, 1-4 RB/WR/TE

QB: Wilson, Jackson
RB: Mixon, Lindsay, Guice, J. Hill, B. Hill, T. Johnson, Miller (IR)
WR: Godwin, Golladay, Keenan, Woods, Sammy, Tre’Quan
TE: Ertz, Rudolph
Taxi: Irv Smith, Dexter, Gaskin

Put The Coke On My Dak
Same settings as above except 18-player rosters

QB: Dak, Baker
RB: CMC, DJ, Sanders, Barber, Edwards, Gaskin, Gallman
WR: Julio, ARob, Kirk, Lockett, Campbell, Tate
TE: Kelce, Howard, Jonnu
Taxi: Goedert, Isabella

The Guiceman Cometh
20-player rosters, $420 cap, 60 contract years, same starting requirements

QB: Foles $1/1, Minshew $1/1
RB: Gurley $71/2, Gordon $62/2, Dam. Williams $36/1, Guice $24/4, Henderson $14/3, Hill $4/5, B. Hill $1/1, Burkhead $1/1, Gaskin $1/1
WR: Godwin $50/4, Ridley $40/3, Pettis $5/5, Hamilton $2/5, Conley $1/1, Pascal $1/1, Meyers $1/1
TE: Njoku $28/1, Howard $20/4

fruity pebbles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby fruity pebbles » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:42 pm

We do comp picks for the teams who don’t make the playoffs. 16 team league. Worst four teams get the first four picks in the first then the the order goes as normal from worst to best. So the worst team has pick 1 and 5. Next four teams get the first four picks in the second. Has helped a lot in getting noncompetitive teams back up to speed quickly and has helped recruit new talent.

dlf_mikeh
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dlf_mikeh » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:43 am

Obviously the draft.

I run a couple leagues with contracts attached to players. One with a salary, one without. It makes things even over the years. Teams that had a roster with Bell, Zeke, DJ, Fournette, Kelce, and Michael Thomas had to eventually release all these players back into the player pool.

I did this because I've been in 12 or 14 team leagues where you have maybe 1 or 2 teams with ALL the top talent. It makes filling in the weaker teams very tough, and sometimes the leagues dissolved because teams couldn't be filled.

Then I have another league that has 12 keepers year to year. This thins out deep rosters.
Make Your Own Customizable Draft Pick Value Chart Here
"This is awesome" --- dlf_jaronf
"I've made a few draft pick charts. This is better than any of them." --- dlf_jules
"Whatever rookie draft pick chart you're using isn't as good as this one from MEuRaH" --- dlf_jules
"Excellent work on this!" --- dlf_zachb

brutuswins
Role Player
Role Player

Postby brutuswins » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:01 pm

I don't know about most but I love rebuilding. I am in 3 dynasties and one is a full rebuild (more than 200 possible points less than the next team)

That league determines draft order for the non-playoff teams but POTENTIAL POINTS which prevents an obvious tank, and helps the obvious worst team.

I am a commissioner of two leagues that we just do the typical rookie draft, nothing special.
I don't like the compensatory picks because it just rewards the BEST non-playoff team (by winning the tournament or being healthy at the right time).
12team 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX (5-2)
QB: Jared Goff, Kirk Cousins, Garnder Mustache
RB: Mark Ingram, Devonte Freeman, Miles Sanders, Jamaal Williams, Jaylen Samuels, Ryquell Armstead, Ty Johnson, Mark Walton
WR: Michael Thomas, Amari Cooper, Tre’quan Smith, Michael Gallup, DJ Chark, Zach Pascal, Darius Slayton, Antonio Callaway
TE: Evan Engram[/b], Greg Olsen, Jack Doyle
IR: Darius Guice
TS: Tony Pollard, Josh Oliver

12team 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX (5-2)
QB: Dak Prescott, Tom Brady
RB: Christian McCaffery, Melvin Gordon, Damien Williams, Devonta Freeman, Ito Smith, TJ Yeldon, Mike Boone, Brian Hill
WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Keenan Allen, Tyreek Hill, Julian Edelman, Rashard Higgins, Cole Beasley, Phillip Dorsett, Jaron Brown
TE: Austin Hooper, Delaine Walker, Mike Gesicki, Kyle Rudolph
IR: Sammy Watkins, Lamar Miller
TS: Jace Sternberger

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:26 pm

Nothing. If a team owner is going to bail when it comes time for a rebuild, then they don’t belong in dynasty anyway. Educate or replace weak owners, but nobody should be given any advantages or special rules regardless of how good or bad their team is.

murphysxm
Starter
Starter

Postby murphysxm » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:29 pm

sugbear65 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:26 pm
Nothing. If a team owner is going to bail when it comes time for a rebuild, then they don’t belong in dynasty anyway. Educate or replace weak owners, but nobody should be given any advantages or special rules regardless of how good or bad their team is.
Spot on

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:26 pm

Constant mockery
QB - DWatson(HOU)Winston(TB)Finely(DEN)
RB - TGurley(LAR)DJohnson(ARI)NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)
WR - ODB(NYG)AJ Green(CIN)ACooper (DAL)CDavis(TEN)
TE - HHenry(SD)ISmith(MIN)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Badgley(LAC)
Def - JAGS DET
[rookie] NHarry(NE)MBrown(BAL)
DGoeddart(PHI)
1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2 - 2020's
Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players dont take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd year players that were drafted

Orenthal Shames
MVP
MVP

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:15 am

sugbear65 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:26 pm
This^

There's always going to be a couple of really strong and weak teams, with the rest falling somewhere in the middle.

Consistently bad teams are a product of bad owners. If you want their teams to improve, either educate the owners and get them up to speed or replace them.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 man rosters - full point ppr
2015 Champion
2017 Champion
2018 Champion

QB: Brissett, Rudolph, Ben
RB: Gurley, Kamara, Sanders
WR: Julio, OBJ, Keenan, Fuller
TE: Kelce, Kittle

2020: 1, 2, 3, 4