OBJ buy low window?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: OBJ buy low window?

Postby kmbryant09 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:00 am

Can't believe some of the negative things being said about OBJ right now. He's still the same player he's always been - that's just a dumpster fire of a situation for the time being.

He's still just 26 years old (not sure why we're stretching to say he'll turn 28 next year, so he's nearing the age of being old!) and has 3 - 5 years left in his prime.

I don't know if it will be this week, next week, or the week after. But at some point, OBJ is going to have a monster game, and everyone will forget about the last month. These things happen, be patient, give it time. Elite talents always rise to the top.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:29 am

kmbryant09 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:00 am Can't believe some of the negative things being said about OBJ right now. He's still the same player he's always been - that's just a dumpster fire of a situation for the time being.

He's still just 26 years old (not sure why we're stretching to say he'll turn 28 next year, so he's nearing the age of being old!) and has 3 - 5 years left in his prime.

I don't know if it will be this week, next week, or the week after. But at some point, OBJ is going to have a monster game, and everyone will forget about the last month. These things happen, be patient, give it time. Elite talents always rise to the top.
Mike Evans had a monster game two weeks ago, but I don't think that is making his owners forget what is going on there this year.

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:30 am

^^ Aint that the truth.

ive grown to accept that Hes going to give me a really big boom or a real great bust lol
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:29 pm

I was surprised when the Giants moved him. Today I am wondering if they were just smarter than most and sold high.

Obviously his numbers are concerning for as many reasons /excuses we can list.

Obj has been a diva with a temper. Just wonder if his effort to excel is still there.

No idea but he did look disengage on the sidelines but that could have been shock.

The over/under on seeing crazy out of control Sideline OBJ is 2.5 games
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:06 pm

Kitchens was a questionable at best hire, and that's really showing now.

Not to mentioned they actually made their o line worse than it was last year.

The Browns are trended toward dumpster fire, again.

Landry kind of said it best in his interview, calling out the playcalling like five times. lol

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:28 pm

kmbryant09 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:00 am Can't believe some of the negative things being said about OBJ right now. He's still the same player he's always been - that's just a dumpster fire of a situation for the time being.

I mean he turns 28 in 1 year and 3 weeks. So yeah.. next year.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:40 am

Just seen OBJ go for essentially Josh Gordon (pre injury) and Michael Gallup. Manager also sent Gerald Everett for Hunter Henry, which I see as a wash.

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:16 am

notweswelker wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:28 pm

I mean he turns 28 in 1 year and 3 weeks. So yeah.. next year.
I just think it's ridiculous to start down the road of playing the age card for a 26 year old....
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:21 am

His birthday is November 5 1992, so he is about to turn 27 and WILL be 28 next year.

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:13 pm

kmbryant09 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:16 am
I just think it's ridiculous to start down the road of playing the age card for a 26 year old....
This is dynasty, age of assets is a very real component. With the struggles of that Browns O-Line OBJ may not provide even WR2 numbers until next year, which will be his age 28 season.
-This is assuming everything else falls into place, his diva tendencies do not rear their head, he stays healthy, Baker stays healthy, the Oline improve.

Most elite WRs fall off around age 30/31 for a multitude of reasons. So Beckham is ~3/4 of the way through his value giving time.
Playing age matters for everyone, it's a simple component of their dynasty value. Things could turn around this week and Odell return to WR1 status immediately. But the reality is we are discussing this because while that's a possibility, the alternative timeline I described above also looks increasingly like a strong possibility.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:06 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:40 am Just seen OBJ go for essentially Josh Gordon (pre injury) and Michael Gallup. Manager also sent Gerald Everett for Hunter Henry, which I see as a wash.
Gerald Everett for Hunter Henry is nowhere close to a wash

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:29 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:06 pm
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:40 am Just seen OBJ go for essentially Josh Gordon (pre injury) and Michael Gallup. Manager also sent Gerald Everett for Hunter Henry, which I see as a wash.
HH has 2 straight years of knee injuries. I'd argue it's close. Henry is damaged goods, so to speak. Loved him coming out of college, and he showed some potential, but he's always been more about projection as opposed to production. He produced nicely in his first few years, considering the position, but to the point about projection and production, what do you project going forward with those injuries, and lack of playing time over the last few years? He is a good TE, but nothing special. What Everett did last game was more than HH has ever showed in a single game.

To say it is "nowhere close to a wash" suggests that HH is anything more than a good NFL TE, which isn't the case. He is good, and can't seem to stay healthy. His career arc is going in the wrong direction, currently. Everett was also a 2nd round pick who was not utilized much until recently. I don't think there is a massive gap between them at all. Maybe a 3rd round rookie pick. I certainly wouldn't add a 2nd to Everett to get HH at this point.

Not to get too sidetracked, though. I don't think the Browns fix their problems this year, and I think OBJ has peaked as a player. I'd be looking to trade him if I could find someone willing to pay first round startup price, personally.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:54 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:29 pm
IZigUZag wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:06 pm
HH has 2 straight years of knee injuries. I'd argue it's close. Henry is damaged goods, so to speak. Loved him coming out of college, and he showed some potential, but he's always been more about projection as opposed to production. He produced nicely in his first few years, considering the position, but to the point about projection and production, what do you project going forward with those injuries, and lack of playing time over the last few years? He is a good TE, but nothing special. What Everett did last game was more than HH has ever showed in a single game.

To say it is "nowhere close to a wash" suggests that HH is anything more than a good NFL TE, which isn't the case. He is good, and can't seem to stay healthy. His career arc is going in the wrong direction, currently. Everett was also a 2nd round pick who was not utilized much until recently. I don't think there is a massive gap between them at all. Maybe a 3rd round rookie pick. I certainly wouldn't add a 2nd to Everett to get HH at this point.
Not to derail the thread too much; but I believe recency bias is clouding your judgement here.

Henry has been extremely productive throughout the early parts of his career; putting him in very comparable beginnings to the most productive TE's of the past two decades (He was one of only 4 TE's since 2006 to average > 2 yards per route run [stat from 2018]-- the other 3? Gronk, Kelce, and Jordan Reed). He's been both productive (Top 10 TE fantasy points through first two seasons since 2000) and efficient while doing so. Efficiency is the important part; it's why I went after Kittle last year and Mark Andrews this year.

Everett just hasn't shown as much (in production or efficiency) and his value is being propped up considerably by his big game last week (which will likely end up closer to an aberration than the norm for him)

While Henry has missed considerable time due to injuries the past two seasons it remains be seen if he's "damaged goods" or just unlucky. His injury history isn't anything spectacular compared to other TE's. At this point, I'm not going to discount Hunter Henry because of his injury history.. of course that could change if this becomes a pattern with him.

To your point, I'd put him in the Austin Hooper, Mark Andrews class of TE's and not the Gronk/Kelce level... so maybe I'd call him a very very good TE but not quite elite. That type of player is still valuable in fantasy, especially given his plush situation in LAC with Rivers.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:15 am

For the record, I would rather roster Everett than Henry. Henry is one of the most overrated tight ends out there, reminds me of the unending hype of Ladarius Green just because of Rivers.

Slackalacker
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Slackalacker » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:27 am

I’m hoping it’s a strong buy low and not a view of what’s to come. I essentially sold MThom and Washington for OBJ and DJ Moore.

I can’t see OBJ staying in this sort of funk all year.
TEAM 1 - 10 team SF 1PPR | 2017 & 2019 League Champ
1QB/1SF/2RB/2WR/1TE/2FLEX
QB: Dak - Hurts - DangeRuss - Tua - Z Wilson - Mills
RB: Barkley - Zeke - Sanders - Pollard - Patterson - D’Ernest - Jermar - Evans - Jones
WR: Hill - JJeff - Higgins - Hollywood - MThom(IR) - Godwin(IR) - E Moore - Marshall Jr - Calloway - Palmer - D Brown
TE: Hock - Moreau