The Duke: A Fantasy Darling?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Re: The Duke: A Fantasy Darling?

Postby Dookmarriot » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:57 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:47 pm He led the CFL in receiving yards last year. Worth a look.

I added him in all my deep leagues just prior to kickoff when I saw he was elevated to the roster.
He was legit brilliant playing in the CFL, and someone has to be the red zone presence in that offense. Nothing wrong with a TD dependent streamer on your bench to use for bye weeks.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

CubfanAA
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby CubfanAA » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:59 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:53 am This thread is ignoring that John Brown is comfortably the #1 WR in Buffalo this season, with Cole Beasley behind him as the #2. Jones only had 18 targets in 5 games.
John Brown is never "comfortably" the #1 WR on a team. He might be the most talented WR, but he also has more injury risk than almost any other player in the league. Cole Beasley isn't really very good so an injury to Brown and Duke could easily start being the most targeted WR on the team.

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:01 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:53 am This thread is ignoring that John Brown is comfortably the #1 WR in Buffalo this season, with Cole Beasley behind him as the #2. Jones only had 18 targets in 5 games.
So he creates more of a dynamic offense if he proves to be more of a threat than Zay. Since when has adding weapons detracted from the number 1 receiver? Actually, JB should benefit, especially with Singletary coming back from injury.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:17 am

CubfanAA wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:59 am
John Brown is never "comfortably" the #1 WR on a team. He might be the most talented WR, but he also has more injury risk than almost any other player in the league. Cole Beasley isn't really very good so an injury to Brown and Duke could easily start being the most targeted WR on the team.
You could literally say this about any top WR. Williams just isn't that good. Brown is by far the best WR on the team when you consider how high level his route running and separation ability is. Williams could slide into a bit role, but there's not much about him that inspires hope that he'll be fantasy relevant because of his talent and skill.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:20 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:55 am
I don't think so. A team can support more than one fantasy WR. No one's saying he's going to take over in Buffalo, just that he's worth a stab.
The 3rd WR in Buffalo is not a fantasy relevant role unless you play in a league with extremely deep starting requirements.

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:23 am

I think size and previous pro production show he can be a redzone threat. Obviously, there is a rough history with CFL to the NFL transition, but that may be changing for guys who are absolutely dominant like Duke. Spencer also looks great as a return man (and maybe William Stanback next year :D ). Is this a one year deal? Probably situational and could be a one year and done, but I think he is a fine bench option, especially in very deep leagues. Depends on your league size most likely.

Edit: for reference my league starts 11 - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, DEF, K. That certainly qualifies and I have seen some leagues with similar deep lineups.
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
K:

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:03 am

Have him on a few teams and plan on bidding this week for the rest of my teams.

It's laughable to me that anyone would argue that he's not more talented than brown. Long road to the league...but he's made it.👍

TB3falcons
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby TB3falcons » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:37 am

He played 71% of the snaps after being elevated from the practice squad (outsnapped Beasley as well). I think there is absolutely something there, especially to get a former 2nd pick, by the same regime!, traded away for a 5th. I'm not saying he's going to be great, but in a deeper league, he's absolutely worth a stash.
16 Team PPR(.5 for RBs)/RetY/Balanced IDP League (QB,RB,2WR,TE,4FLX,PK,PN,DT,2DE,3LB,2CB,2S,1DFLX) 2018 & 2019 LC
QB- Mahomes, Ryan
RB- Gordon, Ingram, Swift, Gore, Hyde, Ogunbowale
WR- Hopkins, KAllen, Lockett, Golladay, Fitz, Edelman, MJones, Crowder, Cobb, Claypool, AGG, Miller (CHI), Humphries, Conley, David Moore, Demarcus Robinson, Gordon :boohoo:
TE- Olsen, Ian Thomas, Njoku
PK- Butker
PN- Cooke
DT- CJones, Ogunjobi, Kinlaw
DE- Hunter, DLaw, Young, Anderson, Turay
LB- Littleton, Mosley, D. Davis, Schobert, Bush, AJ Johnson, Walker, Evans, Burgess
CB- C Davis, Ward, Murphy-Bunting
S- JJ3, Walker, Williams, Rapp, Parks

Taxi: Oliver, Laird, Collier, Cominsky, Phillips, JAXWilliams, Harris, Willis

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:25 am

The CFL is awful, but if you watch a few minutes, he makes great adjustments on balls thrown to him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG2apXOpBFs

That offense is begging for a playmaker, it really doesn't have one other than Josh Allen at the moment.

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:32 am

I think we shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves on this. He may become a solid option, but don't use his one game success to downplay the receiving threat that is John Brown. He is very much a viable option when healthy. The guy makes plays.
K:

XclickX
Role Player
Role Player

Postby XclickX » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:35 am

Some FAAB results fwiw. All leagues are ppr and have a 1,000 faab budget.

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:39 am

notweswelker wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:25 am The CFL is awful, but if you watch a few minutes, he makes great adjustments on balls thrown to him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG2apXOpBFs

That offense is begging for a playmaker, it really doesn't have one other than Josh Allen at the moment.
The success of guys like Thielen and tape like this reminds me how badly the NFL needs a minor league. Do away with the practice squads and have some sort of feeder system. With the money they are making, it is ridiculous that someone has not invested in that (or sees the merit of it).
K:

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:19 pm

I'm gonna be honest, I perused this thread and bid on him without watching him at all. Bid $3 and $5 out of $1,000 and snagged him in both my IDP leagues (the high scoring IDP makes benches slightly shorter than some offense only leagues).

Watched this video today https://youtu.be/N4UciUmy9Ws and here's what I see:
-Monster blocking for a WR definitely contributing to extending runs.
-Enthusiasm and urgency getting to his blocks, never thought I would enjoy watching a WR block but he gets after it. Could add a lot of value to a team IRL.
-Yup, SLOW
-Great adjustment to the ball and nice hands.

Maybe he can have success similar to Funchess at his high points. I've stuck worse guys on the end of my bench. Ceiling is probably an injury bye week fill-in for fantasy purposes, but that's just what I was looking for.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:53 pm

Got him for surprisingly little.

$3.55 out of $100.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:10 pm

jman3134 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:32 am I think we shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves on this. He may become a solid option, but don't use his one game success to downplay the receiving threat that is John Brown. He is very much a viable option when healthy. The guy makes plays.
John Brown is who he has been for the past decade, a decent WR 3/4 or an okay flex play depending on depth of league but I can't buy John Brown with ~5% of my FAAB budget.

Odds are high Duke Williams turns into nothing. That's why he is on waivers in even incredibly deep leagues and is only breaking into the NFL at 26 years old. But there is some smoke there, and dynasty is about checking on that smoke. Every once in a while where there is smoke there is fire. The guy does have a decent talent background, looks good on tape (slow but good), and the Bills just shipped Zay Jones and I do not believe that was coincidental, so they clearly think they have something.