Let's talk... JuJu Smith-Schuster

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Bad JuJu? Good JuJu?

Postby Phaded » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:30 am

JuJu was a good team WR2 in a great situation last year.
Him being valued as a top 3 dynasty WR was exceedingly premature.

Youth is important - but people around here often put too much emphasis on it.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:32 am

skinfanjon wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:24 am The JuJu hate I've been seeing is just absurd.

THIS IS WHY YOUTH IS SO VALUED IN DYNASTY.

Tough seasons come around. Injuries hit, situations change, bad luck arrives. When it happens to the Hiltons and Greens, you're kinda screwed. When it happens to your young stud, you take the L and remember you have another 7 years before hes even 30.

This year is the nfl version of his last year at USC. He will be just fine.
What hate?

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:50 am

I have spoken multiple times on how situation feeds WR1 seasons. 90% of the time you need WR1 target totals to get WR1 seasons.

Every single current WR in the top 12 in typical ppr points at the moment has either earned top 12 targets, or is close enough to be in consideration for borderline WR1 targets (70 atm or 10 per game)

We have seen time & time again WRs that have WR1 potential that move into situations that get WR1 level targets put up at least borderline WR1 production if not locked in WR1 production

Amari Cooper
Davante Adams
Allen Robinson
Robert Woods
etc

Only a very few WRs can be efficient enough to put up WR1/2 production on limited targets - aka Tyler Lockett - and either they disappear or they get more targets & more production (but slightly less efficient) - as Lockett is showing this season.

Up until this week (ie so through 9 games) JJSS was basically similar to Hopkins 2016 & a rookie WR in point production

Hopkins through Week 10 2016 - 45-482-3, 10.7 ypr - 111.20 points
JJSS through Week 10 2019 - 36- 503-3, 14.0 ypr -104.30 points
Rookie WR 2017 through Week 10 2019 - 29-521-5, 18.0 ypr - 111.10 points

here are a couple of other WR who going through sub-optimal situations that year had similar production

Keenan Allen 2014 through 10 weeks - 47-474-1, 10.1 ypr - 100.40*
Mike Evans 2015 through 10 weeks - 40-664-1, 16.6 ypr - 112.40 points**
Amari Cooper 2017 through 10 weeks - 38-462-3, 12.2 ypr - 102.60 points
Chris Godwin 2018 through 10 weeks - 37-483-4, 13.1 ypr - 109.30 points

The point is not to compare JuJu to any of them talent wise - the point is rather

If you have a talented player that you believe in - Talent > Situation long term while Situation > Talent short term.

Even Juju Smith-Schuster himself is aware he is not a complete & fully developed WR. Give up / sell low on a WR turning 23 that still has room to develop & plenty of time to have better situations at your own risk. If you want to flip him straight up for a safer WR I have no qualms (ie JJSS for Adams, Allen, Kupp, DJ Moore). But if you choose this moment to sell low - whether a random future 1st, or a lesser WR that is situationally propped - you've been warned. 8-)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/juju ... nio-brown/

* - Allen as you may recall like JJSS had a very strong rookie year. He was on pace to repeat a WR2 season (also aged 22) when he got injured late in the year & then had 2 injury shortened seasons after that. You know what Allen has done since in 2017-2019.

** - Evans & Winston in his Rookie year started to gel better down the stretch and went 34-544-2, 16.0 ypr -100.40 over the last 7 games - moving him from WR29 at Week 10 to WR 21 by seasons end.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:57 am

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:32 am
skinfanjon wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:24 am The JuJu hate I've been seeing is just absurd.

THIS IS WHY YOUTH IS SO VALUED IN DYNASTY.

Tough seasons come around. Injuries hit, situations change, bad luck arrives. When it happens to the Hiltons and Greens, you're kinda screwed. When it happens to your young stud, you take the L and remember you have another 7 years before hes even 30.

This year is the nfl version of his last year at USC. He will be just fine.
What hate?
I agree that hate is too strong a word. I do not think that any owner that is not sold on a player 'hates' them. But this is a matter of personal opinion. To me an owner that 'hates' is an owner that even after evidence after evidence is compiled to show otherwise refuses to adjust their perceptions - similar to an owner that still thinks Mahomes is a QB2 or Amari Cooper is a WR2 type talent. 8-)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:28 pm

Let's also not forget that the lingering toe injury is probably causing some of the poor play, on top of everything else going on in Pittsburgh.

skinfanjon
Role Player
Role Player

Postby skinfanjon » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:41 pm

Hes getting roasted plenty on Twitter and other boards. You want to call it something else, cool. I dont care about semantics.

Anyway, point is it'd be pretty foolish to sell now. This season just hasn't gone his way. It happens.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:57 pm

skinfanjon wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:41 pm Hes getting roasted plenty on Twitter and other boards. You want to call it something else, cool. I dont care about semantics.

Anyway, point is it'd be pretty foolish to sell now. This season just hasn't gone his way. It happens.
Ok, well you came to this forum and this post to decry "Juju hate" when there has been nothing of the sort, criticism and difference of opinion on his value is not hate. Juju is a very good player and carries significant value, but the expectation of him being a top 5 WR was unrealistic. As I stated originally his value in large part due to his age, because while I don't think he puts up massive WR1 numbers regularly (if ever again), there is certainly still a lot of value in a set and forget WR2 for 10 years. You're right now is not likely the best time to sell him, but I doubt he ever reaches the value he had this past offseason again either.

Slackalacker
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Slackalacker » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:12 pm

I think the real crime is putting OBJ at the top of your WR list
TEAM 1 - 10 team SF 1PPR | 2017 & 2019 League Champ
1QB/1SF/2RB/2WR/1TE/2FLEX
QB: Dak - Hurts - DangeRuss - Tua - Z Wilson - Mills
RB: Barkley - Zeke - Sanders - Pollard - Patterson - D’Ernest - Jermar - Evans - Jones
WR: Hill - JJeff - Higgins - Hollywood - MThom(IR) - Godwin(IR) - E Moore - Marshall Jr - Calloway - Palmer - D Brown
TE: Hock - Moreau

skinfanjon
Role Player
Role Player

Postby skinfanjon » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:16 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:57 pm
skinfanjon wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:41 pm Hes getting roasted plenty on Twitter and other boards. You want to call it something else, cool. I dont care about semantics.

Ok, well you came to this forum and this post to decry "Juju hate" when there has been nothing of the sort, criticism and difference of opinion on his value is not hate. Juju is a very good player and carries significant value, but the expectation of him being a top 5 WR was unrealistic. As I stated originally his value in large part due to his age, because while I don't think he puts up massive WR1 numbers regularly (if ever again), there is certainly still a lot of value in a set and forget WR2 for 10 years. You're right now is not likely the best time to sell him, but I doubt he ever reaches the value he had this past offseason again either.
Sorry Officer, I assumed folks that frequent this board might also ready about fantasy football in other places too. And I will continue to ignore your semantical bait.

I actually agree with you in that he is not a great bet for a top 5 WR in a any particular season, but that isn't certain. And even if we assume it is, I would argue his value over the next 10 years make him a top 5 asset at his position. Michael Thomas, maybe Hopkins are the only guys I would definitively value ahead of him. The rest are debatable for various reasons.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:56 pm

It wasn't too long ago that it was foolish to sell ARob after his big year either.

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:01 pm

I think JuJu is still top 10 in dynasty WRs.
Still very young. There's not too many WRs immune to horrific situations. It's probably 3 total, Hill/Davante/Thomas.

That being said I just sold him + picks for Tyreek Hill in my sig 2 as I am a frontrunner this season.

skinfanjon
Role Player
Role Player

Postby skinfanjon » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:22 pm

Phaded wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:56 pm

It wasn't too long ago that it was foolish to sell ARob after his big year either.
But selling JuJu now would be like selling ARob after his NOT big year.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:35 pm

skinfanjon wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:22 pm
Phaded wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:56 pm

But selling JuJu now would be like selling ARob after his NOT big year.
How so? Someone above just said they coupled JuJu with picks to upgrade to Hill.
His value is still relatively high.

One of the biggest mistakes in this community is this mindset that a player who is disappointing will bounce-back. There are countless situations where the bounce-back does not happen.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:36 pm

Slackalacker wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:12 pm I think the real crime is putting OBJ at the top of your WR list
Just pulling names in a general order off the top of my head, I know he is fringe top 5 but him and Evans always standout in my head since I've had them for forever, I also forgot Michael Thomas
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

joshb
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby joshb » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:43 pm

Thoughts on this trade that just went down?

Darius Slayton
Late 1st

for

Juju
Late 2nd
12 team non-ppr
QB Murray, Stafford
RB JT, Chubb, A. Jones, Dobbins, D. Pierce, R. White, K. Miller
WR Deebo, Metcalf, Higgins, Juju, E. Moore, Toney, M. Wilson, T. Thornton
TE Schultz, Kincaid, Musgrave, Likely