A-Fraud- Rodgers and the GB offense

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Re: A-Fraud- Rodgers and the GB offense

Postby Phaded » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:57 pm

With all fairness, I wouldn't read too much into how Mike Nolan felt.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:24 pm

Certainly preferring Smith seems odd/wrong, but he did get a whiff of an attitude in his one on one with Rodgers.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Factory of Sadness
Starter
Starter

Postby Factory of Sadness » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:01 am

Rodgers' bad habits have calcified. They may have been borne of the frustration of playing in Mike McCarthy's scheme, but now they seem engrained. There are between 5-10 plays a game - and sometimes more- when he skitters around in the pocket waiting for his predetermined read to come open, before throwing the ball away and returning petulantly to the huddle. The vast majority of those plays would be run of the mill, easy completions for Tom Brady. 1st read, beat, 2nd read, beat, check-down. 1st read, beat, soft toss to a crosser, first down.

His second favourite target of recent years behind Davante Adams is the sideline because he simply refuses to follow the design of the play. To put this into some perspective, Rodgers, for about four years now has played the way that Mayfield did to open this season. Frenetic in the pocket, too greedy for the big play, off schedule and making things look difficult. Three games of this and Kitchens clearly kicked his bleep, got him in structure, on time, staying in the pocket and he looked hugely improved. Yet Rodgers with more than a decade of experience - and vastly more arm talent- simply doesn't get out of his bad habits.

He has ridiculous talent, so he makes great plays. He's jealous of his stats, so he's too careful to throw picks. The offense splutters, but Rodger's talent is visible. His stats look good. Few points are scored. The impression given is of a great QB being held back by his team. I don't buy this any more. I just don't think you can build a consistently successful offense around the player he has become. Next time the Pack are on, watch the field carefully - on the rare occasions the broadcast allows you to - and imagine Brady or Manning are playing. Hell, these days you could imagine Dak doing it. You'll see just how many times he leaves an easy completion on the field.

If I were the Packers, I'd be looking to annoy him - which shouldn't be difficult - and get him to agitate for a trade. He still holds value, but he's not taking them anywhere. I loved him as a player for a long time, and he really didn't used to be this guy, but he has regressed to the point where you're just not going to consistently win with him.

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:46 am

Factory of Sadness wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:01 am
If I were the Packers, I'd be looking to annoy him - which shouldn't be difficult - and get him to agitate for a trade. He still holds value, but he's not taking them anywhere. I loved him as a player for a long time, and he really didn't used to be this guy, but he has regressed to the point where you're just not going to consistently win with him.
Yeah they could probably get some good draft capital from the Browns, and then the Browns could have a good starting QB for once.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:27 pm

Man I had a hunch that the Packers would lean on Aaron Jones this week - I just did not expect him to turn into Aaron Ekeler. ;)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:59 am

ArrylT wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:27 pm Man I had a hunch that the Packers would lean on Aaron Jones this week - I just did not expect him to turn into Aaron Ekeler. ;)
Did you watch the game? Were the Pack focusing on the run game or was the usual pass attack just not working?
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:04 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:59 am
ArrylT wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:27 pm Man I had a hunch that the Packers would lean on Aaron Jones this week - I just did not expect him to turn into Aaron Ekeler. ;)
Did you watch the game? Were the Pack focusing on the run game or was the usual pass attack just not working?
No unfortunately I only got to see the highlights. From what I could tell the O-Line played really well.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:07 am

With no Adams, it's no surprise they leaned on Jones as much as they did.

What was surprising was how the Cowboys did not gameplan for that.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:31 am

Phaded wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:07 am With no Adams, it's no surprise they leaned on Jones as much as they did.

Even without Adams, why would a team gameplan for Aaron Jones over Aaron Rodgers? Jones hadn't even cracked 2ypc in weeks.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:46 am

Because there is no one for him to throw to.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:02 am

Two thoughts (followed by some more explanations):
1) The Packers changed their run scheme this past week.
2) Aaron Rodgers had his best game of the season.

The Packers had been using more of a zone running scheme with the idea to get Jones to be able to find a space to run around or outside the tackles. Yesterday, they ran up the gut much more. In fact, that was their primary method of attack. I don't know why they made that change -- if it was a shift in offensive philosophy, a purposeful way to attack the Dallas defense, or simply an if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it thought-process in-game. Whatever the reason, it was highly effective. Clearly.

Rodgers played a brilliant game. He made quick reads and accurate throws to the open player rather than trying to hold on for the big play. The fact that he didn't have any touchdowns is as much variance as anything. Sometimes you run the ball when close to the goal line, sometimes you pass. The run was working so well that Rodgers himself, in-game, told LaFleur to keep calling running plays (that came out in press conferences later). Rodgers did miss one pass to Allison that would have gone for six, but he otherwise played an excellent game. It's also fair to wonder if missing Adams helped force Rodgers to buy into the system more. Don't worry: Adams will still get his (the WRs only caught four passes this past week), but the game that Rodgers played was simply better yesterday. That should only be a good thing for when Adams comes back healthy.

Two more noteworthy points. First, after every Jones TD, you could see how giddy Rodgers was, jumping in the end zone with a huge smile on his face. Second, and correlated, Rodgers also said after the game that he's past needing to care about stats. He has had all the statistical success that he needs to prove anything, and he wants to help the team win. That might mean defense first and running second with Rodgers as the third option. A damn good third option, to be sure. Rodgers also said that this team is tighter and closer than any team that he has been on. For anyone still somehow doubting the LaFleur-Rodgers relationship, I hope that we can put that to rest.

Putting it back into fantasy football, the Packers winning and Rodgers throwing for 260 or fewer yards will likely correlate. The Packers losing and Rodgers throwing for 300+ yards will also likely correlate. If you're buying the Packers as a good football team -- and I am -- then I wouldn't expect top-5 numbers from Rodgers. He's a low QB1. If you think that the Packers are more of a fools-gold team (like vs. the Eagles), then pencil in Rodgers for top-5 QB fantasy numbers. From a skills perspective, he has shown this season that he still has the full skill set that made him the most complete and unique QB arguably in NFL history (Mahomes might make a run at that). But gone are the days that the Packers winning will be correlated with Rodgers' monster stats.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:14 am

Phaded wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:46 am Because there is no one for him to throw to.
Thought MVS would fare better, though with Jones destroying the Cowboys defense, there was no need to pass the ball much.

The Pack keeps looking more and more like the '18 Titans every week. Is that a good thing? At 4-1, guess so.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:25 pm

DLF3000 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:14 am
Phaded wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:46 am Because there is no one for him to throw to.
Thought MVS would fare better, though with Jones destroying the Cowboys defense, there was no need to pass the ball much.

The Pack keeps looking more and more like the '18 Titans every week. Is that a good thing? At 4-1, guess so.
Was really hoping MVS would work as a flex play this season, but he's not capitalizing on his opportunities thus far.

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:54 pm

Phaded wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:07 am With no Adams, it's no surprise they leaned on Jones as much as they did.

To be fair, Jones put on an effing clinic. He was making Sean Lee and Vander-Esch look like absolute clowns grasping at air all game.

The TDs were great, but Jones' elusiveness is something special to behold.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:07 pm

Not having Williams was probably even more beneficiary for Jones than not having Adams. With both out, they had no one else to really feature and worked out great for Jones owners.