Calling my shot: Taysom Hill takeover

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Is Teddy Better Than Taysom?

Postby Cherokee » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:21 am

Im picking up Taysom. Having dreams of some sort of read/run option with him and Kamara.
Last edited by Cherokee on Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
12 Team 1QB IDP Full PPR Start 8
QB- Kenny Pickett, Jake Haener, Clayton Tune
RB- Jerrick McKinnon, Elijah Mitchell, Gus Edwards, Kenneth Gainwell, TDP, Jordan Mason
WR- Rondale Moore, Drake London, Jordan Addison, Terrence Marshall , Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Mecole Hardman, Rashid Shaheed, David Bell
TE- Michael Mayer, Likely, Chig, Cade Otten
LB- Jewell, Deablo, Troy Anderson
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
DB- Brisker, Hufanga, Cine
Taxi Squad: Chase Brown, A.T. Perry, Keaton Mitchell, Khalan Laborn, Lew Nichols lll

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: Is Teddy Better Than Taysom?

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:28 am

Teddy is going to be the starter. Hill's opportunities could actually go down now, because Teddy is far less established in the offense than Brees and they may not want to disrupt his rhythm as he gets worked into the starters role.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:45 am

Teddy is a low-quality backup.
Taysom has more upside.

Personally, no interest in either.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:57 am

Phaded wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:45 am Teddy is a low-quality backup.
Taysom has more upside.

Personally, no interest in either.
I don't think he's anything special as a starter, but I would say he's a quality backup QB. How many backup QBs in the league would you take over him? I can't think of many.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:02 am

Taysom is better, but not sure why New Orleans is refusing to admit that. Both should probably be owned in SF/2QB leagues. Don't want either in 1QB leagues.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:39 am

Taysom would put up better FF numbers, since he scores points running the ball, but Teddy may seem like a safer, game managing option to the Saints. We could very well see another 8-8 team get a home playoff game, from that division.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Calling my shot: Taysom Hill takeover

Postby notweswelker » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:59 pm

Teddy Bridgewater has the ceiling of... Teddy Bridgewater. He's a great guy who was the mediocre game manager qb of a great team.
His pro-bowl designation was largely undeserved, and his tape shows the exact same player as we saw with the Vikings before his injury.
Teddy's tendencies look unchanged and teams will be able to neutralize him, especially since he'll be chasing points with a Defense that looks... not great.
He's best at dinking and dunking with short/lateral passes. This can work, especially with great play-makers (Thomas/Kamara etc.), but he's going to struggle as teams realize this and will actively force him to look deeper. He struggles hitting deep and even intermediate passes, and has a bad tendency to hold the ball too long while he works his progressions.

Taysom Hill Does not look like the player who joined NO in '17. He has progressed every season/off-season. This culminated in a very good showing this pre-season. Obviously pre-season isn't the real thing, but it's still many players who are playing for their careers. The stats aside, and they were good (better than Bridgewater's), it was his poise and decision making in the pocket that really struck me. He was quick, decisive, accurate, and reacted incredibly to pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKeEh2668Yo (Week 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=httLNHlYT4o (Week 2)

I believe it will happen sometime in the next two games, but Hill's explosive playmaking will win out over the game manager Bridgewater.
**Saints are scheduled to play vs. the Seahawks this week, and a Pete Carroll team that completely neutralized Bridgewater the last time he played in two games in 2015. Obviously that Seahawks defense was great, but the coaching is still relevant, and for comparison, look at Russell Wilson's stats in the same two games versus what was a very good Minnesota defense.

Box scores from those two games:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 060min.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 100min.htm

Combined Bridgewater stats from both games, 2 losses, 34/52 passes completed, 264 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT, 1 Fumble, 7 sacks.

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Calling my shot: Taysom Hill takeover

Postby Never Veto1 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Being a Vikes fan I saw plenty of Bridgewater and he is a good game manager but is not going to win you games. If he has to play from behind the game is pretty much already lost. I think if the Saints were wise they would give Hill a shot and see what he can really do.
20 Team Superflex (1/2 PPR / 6pt TD's)
11 Starters - QB 1(2), RB 2(4), WR 2(5), TE 2(3)

QB - Kirk Cousins, Deshaun Watson
RB - Christian McCaffrey, JK Dobbins, Tony Pollard, Jaylen Warren
WR - Odell Beckham, Adam Thielen, Allen Robinson, Donavan Peoples-Jones
TE - Mark Andrews, Jonnu Smith

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby blemly » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:22 pm

Never Veto wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:15 pm Being a Vikes fan I saw plenty of Bridgewater and he is a good game manager but is not going to win you games. If he has to play from behind the game is pretty much already lost. I think if the Saints were wise they would give Hill a shot and see what he can really do.
My thoughts too. Teddy Bridgewater looks just like Tyrod Taylor out there.
Team 1: 12-team SF 0.5 PPR:
QB: Dak, Russ, Stafford, Geno, Dalton
RB: Harris, Gibson, Chubb, Cohen
WR: DK, Ridley, Kirk, Chark, Woods, C Samuel, Shepard, Reagor
TE: Fant, Knox
Team 2: 14-team PPR SF TEP:
QB: Wilson, Burrow, Geno, Foles
RB: Mixon, Gibson, Hines, Cohen, Pollard
WR: DJM, Cooper, Sutton, Deebo, R. Moore, ARSB, Eskridge, Renfrow
TE: Gesicki, Njoku, Arnold
Team 3: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Watson, Lawrence, Winston, Cam
RB: Harris, Ekeler, Dobbins
WR: Hill, AJB, Woods, Chark, Lockett
TE: Gesicki, OJH, Firkser
Team 4: 12-team SF TEP Devy
QB: Wilson, Geno, Ryan, Cousins
RB: Zeke, Chubb, Sanders, Pollard, Hines, Cohen, Henderson
WR: Cooper, Godwin, Sutton, JuJu, Samuel, Fuller, Shepard, Campbell
TE: Fant, Gesicki, Ertz, Freiermuth
Devy: Boutte, Young, Slovis, Harris
Team 5: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Dak, Lance, Jones, Cam
RB: Swift, Sanders, Dobbins, Pollard
WR: Sutton, DJM, Golladay, Chase, Pittman, Kirk, Campbell, Mims, Wallace
TE: Herndon, Gesicki, Freiermuth

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:27 pm

blemly wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:22 pm
Never Veto wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:15 pm Being a Vikes fan I saw plenty of Bridgewater and he is a good game manager but is not going to win you games. If he has to play from behind the game is pretty much already lost. I think if the Saints were wise they would give Hill a shot and see what he can really do.
My thoughts too. Teddy Bridgewater looks just like Tyrod Taylor out there.
That's an insult to Taylor.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:50 pm

I agree, Bridgewater is a low quality backup as I said elsewhere - let alone starter.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:06 pm

The fact that Taysom Hill is so versatile and has played apparently 7 different positions, is exactly why I am going to guess that the Saints are unlikely to make him their starter, unless absolutely necessary.

Also Teddy Bridgewater was the highest salaried backup QB in the NFL (on a per year basis). There is a reason for that.

That division is up for grabs - for example every team has a negative Points Differential - & Brees will most likely be back after their bye week (Week 9). 5 of 6 of their divisional games will be after their Bye week.

In other words so long as Bridgewater can be exactly what you called him - a game manager - then the Saints will likely be happy to ride him until Brees return. As long as the Saints are like 3-6 or 4-5 then they'll have a shot.

Unless Bridgewater gets injured or is absolutely abysmal for multiple games - I fully expect Bridgewater to remain the starter & for Hill to remain the jack of all trades the Saints want him to be (better to have 1 man who can play 7 positions than have him play QB ahead of a proven QB). Thats my hunch at least. If they go 0-5 and Brees is unlikely to return - then we'll see.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:13 pm

ArrylT wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:06 pm The fact that Taysom Hill is so versatile and has played apparently 7 different positions, is exactly why I am going to guess that the Saints are unlikely to make him their starter, unless absolutely necessary.

Also Teddy Bridgewater was the highest salaried backup QB in the NFL (on a per year basis). There is a reason for that.

That division is up for grabs - for example every team has a negative Points Differential - & Brees will most likely be back after their bye week (Week 9). 5 of 6 of their divisional games will be after their Bye week.

In other words so long as Bridgewater can be exactly what you called him - a game manager - then the Saints will likely be happy to ride him until Brees return. As long as the Saints are like 3-6 or 4-5 then they'll have a shot.

Unless Bridgewater gets injured or is absolutely abysmal for multiple games - I fully expect Bridgewater to remain the starter & for Hill to remain the jack of all trades the Saints want him to be (better to have 1 man who can play 7 positions than have him play QB ahead of a proven QB). Thats my hunch at least. If they go 0-5 and Brees is unlikely to return - then we'll see.
Taysom Hill is clearly the better QB from what I've seen out of the two of them. The value of the QB position far outweighs his other 6 positional spot snaps. If Bridgewater continues to struggle (and I believe he will) Taysom is likely to get a shot in 2-3 weeks... but at that point is it even worth picking him right now when Brees is projected back only 3 weeks later?

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:20 pm

I agree with you -- Sean Payton calling Hill the next Steve Young may end up very fitting.

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:29 pm

I don't even think I'd call Bridgewater a game manager. Game managers typically throw 20-30 times per game and usually have a high completion percentage with average yards. Teddy threw the ball 30 times yesterday in the 2nd half and only completed 17 of them for 165 yards. I don't know why people are afraid to say he's a bad QB. I'm happy for him and his story was great coming back from that injury, but we don't have to pretend like he's better than he is. I think Sean Payton is having a difficult time accepting that reality as well, but if they want a chance to win a few games while Brees is out, they need to start Hill sooner rather than later.