General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ice
All Pro
All Pro

Re: John Ross Buy Low?

Postby Ice » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:03 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:30 pm
He is a buy low, gonna sell low forever guy, imho.
Agree, just as soon use a 3rd round pick on an upside TE and sit on that type of player.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:04 pm

ericanadian wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:22 pm
Who did they have to replace Jones and Sanu when they both left? Their replacement plan at RT was a total bust in 2017. They’re cheap and have been for a while.
Hmm. Bringing up Jones and Sanu's example is another good point. But neither of them broke out for Cincy quite as clearly as Boyd just did.

Worth noting that Mike Brown and Duke Tobin are still the guys in charge of these decisions. So that also supports your point.
Ice wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:52 pm
He is a one trick pony
I bet you're unaware that 5 of his 7 TDs were targets at the goal-line. He was very productive at the goal-line with UW, too. The 'one trick' you're probably referring to -- vertical targets -- wasn't much in evidence last year.

Also it was his groin that was a problem, not his hammy. According to this, he has zero significant hamstring injuries since 2014.

Hands were definitely bad last season. You got that right, at least. Frustrating, since his drop-rate was 5% in college (better than Mike Williams).
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:27 pm

It would certainly be nice to see what he could do with a full healthy season and a reasonable amount of targets (say 100).
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Ice
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ice » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:57 pm

ninotoreS wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:04 pm
ericanadian wrote:
Who did they have to replace Jones and Sanu when they both left? Their replacement plan at RT was a total bust in 2017. They’re cheap and have been for a while.
Hmm. Bringing up Jones and Sanu's example is another good point. But neither of them broke out for Cincy quite as clearly as Boyd just did.

Worth noting that Mike Brown and Duke Tobin are still the guys in charge of these decisions. So that also supports your point.
Ice wrote:
He is a one trick pony
I bet you're unaware that 5 of his 7 TDs were targets at the goal-line. He was very productive at the goal-line with UW, too. The 'one trick' you're probably referring to -- vertical targets -- wasn't much in evidence last year.

Also it was his groin that was a problem, not his hammy. According to this, he has zero significant hamstring injuries since 2014.

Hands were definitely bad last season. You got that right, at least. Frustrating, since his drop-rate was 5% in college (better than Mike Williams).
Hammy/ Groin......Hard to keep with all this players injuries

Let's see, I remember a labrum, and surgery on both knees, one being an ACL and a groin, as you say, which if memory serves he aggravated it multiple times. On top of all that he really struggles catching the ball. I took him off my draft board when he was a rookie and never owned him or even thought about buying him.

Personally, I could care less if scores a few TD's. Don't mind anyone owning him but he is the type of player I would never roster. He will cost more losses than wins in a starting fantasy line up due to his wild inconsistency in my book. Never more than 3 catches in a game and only 20 on 53 targets for a paltry 209 yards. 8 of 12 games played in single digit scoring.

No thank you on Ross.... EVER. well, maybe in a best ball league if I ever decide to play in another one of those. :D

Forza_Azzurri
Starter
Starter

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:00 am

Ross recently was released in my league ... some mitigating circumstances that led to his release. He was acquired in dispersal draft with a high salary cap figure & new owners could drop one player w/o penalty. But now that he’s available, he’s a pretty interesting free agent/auction pick up.

I’m a Mixon owner, so I HAVE to believe the Bungles offense gets better ... with that, maybe Ross can live up to his hype.

16 Team PPR | QB (1) RB (2-4) WR (2-5) TE (1-2) K (1)| DT (1-2) DE (2-4) LB (2-5) CB (3-6) S (2-5)

|QB| R. Wilson, J. Allen, D. Carr, D. Lock (IR), E. Stick (taxi)
|RB| A. Kamara, J. Jacobs, L. Murray, M. Walton, J. Mixon,, J. Adams, R. Anderson (IR)
|WR| C. Godwin, D.J. Moore, M. Gallup, D.K. Metcalf, M. Goodwin, Da. Moore, J. Ross (IR)
|TE| M. Gesicki, T. Eifert, I. Thomas, M. LaCosse, R. Gathers, R. Gronkowski
|K| B. Maher, M. Bryant
|DT| Q. Williams, S. Richardson, T. Bryan, T. Hill (taxi)
|DE| J. Clowney, Y. Ngakoue, D. Barnett, T. Charlton, E. Ansah, A. Key, J. Pierre-Paul (IR), J. Sweat (taxi)
|LB| L. Vander Esch, D. Trevathan, C. Holcomb, M. Kendricks, S. Dion Hamilton, S. Ebukam, D. Cole, M. Jefferson, V. Joseph (IR), R. Foster (IR), K. Beckwith (IR), S. Eguavoen (taxi)
|CB| B. Jones, S. Gilmore, M. Peters, G. Conley, D. Trufant
|S| M. Fitzpatrick, T. Walker, X. Woods, E. Thomas, E. Murray
|2020 PICKS| #1 (x2), #3, #5, #6
|2021 PICKS| #1, #2, #3, #6

drbuttermaker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby drbuttermaker » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:25 am

Ice wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:57 pm
ninotoreS wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:04 pm
ericanadian wrote:

Ice wrote:
He is a one trick pony

Hammy/ Groin......Hard to keep with all this players injuries

Let's see, I remember a labrum, and surgery on both knees, one being an ACL and a groin, as you say, which if memory serves he aggravated it multiple times. On top of all that he really struggles catching the ball. I took him off my draft board when he was a rookie and never owned him or even thought about buying him.

Personally, I could care less if scores a few TD's. Don't mind anyone owning him but he is the type of player I would never roster. He will cost more losses than wins in a starting fantasy line up due to his wild inconsistency in my book. Never more than 3 catches in a game and only 20 on 53 targets for a paltry 209 yards. 8 of 12 games played in single digit scoring.

No thank you on Ross.... EVER. well, maybe in a best ball league if I ever decide to play in another one of those. :D
Thank you for saving me the time of typing all that out.

Madadamus
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Madadamus » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:33 am

I’d be buying wherever I can.
12 Team PPR Dynasty - DLFS
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: T. Brady, C. Wentz, J. Winston, J. Garoppolo
RB: S. Barkley, E. Elliott, A. Kamara, K. Johnson, K. Drake, D. Harris
WR: M. Evans, D. Adams, C. Kupp, C. Davis, W. Fuller, E. Sanders
TE: E. Ebron, T.J. Hockenson, N. Fant, J. Oliver
2020 Picks: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd

12 Team PPR Dynasty
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: T. Brady, R. Tannehill
RB: E. Elliott, L. Bell
WR: M. Evans, T.Y. Hilton, B. Cooks, S. Watkins, D. Parker, J. Smith-Schuster
TE: R. Gronkowski, E. Ebron

12 Team PPR Dynasty
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Winston, M. Mariota, P. Lynch
RB: E. Elliott, A. Kamara, M. Gordon, C. McCaffrey, J. Mixon, K. Drake, I. Crowell
WR: T.Y. Hilton, C. Davis, D. Parker, Tr. Taylor, W. Snead
TE: E. Engram
2018 Picks: 1.04, 3.04, 4.04

Big Al
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Big Al » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:56 am

I need a 2nd QB and someone is offering Rosen for Ross. Talk about 2 dart throw's. It seems better than nothing I guess.
Faith: That which is believed on any subject, whether in science, politics, or religion
Theory: A doctrine, or scheme of things, which terminates in speculation or contemplation, without a view to practice; hypothesis; speculation.

smallxl
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smallxl » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:17 am

I like the idea of buying Ross - if I had him I would not sell for a 3rd or 4th

I might pay a late 2nd in order to get the deal done - but I tend to take chances on guys like this for draft picks - I am not a big fan of 2nd, 3rd or 4th round picks - as an example - last year I bought Tyler Lockett for my 2.10 and could not be happier.
22-man, 12-team, 1 pt-PPR; Start 1-2RB; 3-4 WR; 1-2 TE

TEAM 1
QB: Prescott, Foles
RB: Barkley, P Barber, Duke, Gio Bernard, Gus, C Thompson, Breida, Ekeler
WR: A Cooper, Cooks, Lockett, C. Davis, Crowder, Chark, Stills
TE: OJ Howard

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:30 am

I think I said this before, but: I think he's worth a flier 3rd. I would not pay an inch more. There's a lot of upside with his athleticism, but at this point he needs plenty of situational luck and self improvement to avoid ending up like Kevin White.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

mild
Role Player
Role Player

Postby mild » Wed May 01, 2019 7:30 pm

Sooooo... with Crowell tearing his Achilles, I suddenly have a roster spot in my 10-team. We are currently at 22 player rosters, but post-draft we'll be at 26.

And wouldn't you know it, a quick sorting of "most owned" players on my waiver wire... there's Kenny Stills, Doctson, Demarcus Robinson, Geronimo Allison... and one John Ross.

I was leaning toward Stills or Allison - but would anyone like to make the case for John Ross? Or have the rumours of his demise not been exaggerated at all...

Smoking Guns
Starter
Starter

Postby Smoking Guns » Wed May 01, 2019 7:39 pm

Ice wrote:
Why Bother, He is a one trick pony with bad hammy's and suspect hands.

Anyone really think he could ever be a WR1 on any team in this league? He looks to have been drafted to stretch the field to free up the real play-makers. Never much like that offensive strategy.
This- all we hear is about how fast someone is - everyone is fast in the NFL- done with him

Forza_Azzurri
Starter
Starter

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Wed May 01, 2019 7:44 pm

mild wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:30 pm
Sooooo... with Crowell tearing his Achilles, I suddenly have a roster spot in my 10-team. We are currently at 22 player rosters, but post-draft we'll be at 26.

And wouldn't you know it, a quick sorting of "most owned" players on my waiver wire... there's Kenny Stills, Doctson, Demarcus Robinson, Geronimo Allison... and one John Ross.

I was leaning toward Stills or Allison - but would anyone like to make the case for John Ross? Or have the rumours of his demise not been exaggerated at all...
The hard part on Ross is that the previous coaching was archaic in their scheming which is exemplified on their misuse of Mixon in the passing game. I’m still a believer in Ross’ talent but you you have to bet on the new staff’s wilingness to manufacture touches for him. They aren’t invested in him so it’s really a crap shoot.

16 Team PPR | QB (1) RB (2-4) WR (2-5) TE (1-2) K (1)| DT (1-2) DE (2-4) LB (2-5) CB (3-6) S (2-5)

|QB| R. Wilson, J. Allen, D. Carr, D. Lock (IR), E. Stick (taxi)
|RB| A. Kamara, J. Jacobs, L. Murray, M. Walton, J. Mixon,, J. Adams, R. Anderson (IR)
|WR| C. Godwin, D.J. Moore, M. Gallup, D.K. Metcalf, M. Goodwin, Da. Moore, J. Ross (IR)
|TE| M. Gesicki, T. Eifert, I. Thomas, M. LaCosse, R. Gathers, R. Gronkowski
|K| B. Maher, M. Bryant
|DT| Q. Williams, S. Richardson, T. Bryan, T. Hill (taxi)
|DE| J. Clowney, Y. Ngakoue, D. Barnett, T. Charlton, E. Ansah, A. Key, J. Pierre-Paul (IR), J. Sweat (taxi)
|LB| L. Vander Esch, D. Trevathan, C. Holcomb, M. Kendricks, S. Dion Hamilton, S. Ebukam, D. Cole, M. Jefferson, V. Joseph (IR), R. Foster (IR), K. Beckwith (IR), S. Eguavoen (taxi)
|CB| B. Jones, S. Gilmore, M. Peters, G. Conley, D. Trufant
|S| M. Fitzpatrick, T. Walker, X. Woods, E. Thomas, E. Murray
|2020 PICKS| #1 (x2), #3, #5, #6
|2021 PICKS| #1, #2, #3, #6

mild
Role Player
Role Player

Postby mild » Wed May 01, 2019 8:12 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:44 pm
The hard part on Ross is that the previous coaching was archaic in their scheming which is exemplified on their misuse of Mixon in the passing game. I’m still a believer in Ross’ talent but you you have to bet on the new staff’s wilingness to manufacture touches for him. They aren’t invested in him so it’s really a crap shoot.
Right - so without being too much of an expert on him (I try to avoid owning Bengals as much as possible, because watching their games is on par with going to the dentist for me) it sounds like he fits in the kind of speed/gadget player mould? What kind of role do they need to build for him to get value and make him worth holding as a speculative flyer... screens / handoffs etc? I'm not sure I trust this new Bengals coaching staff as far as I can throw 'em...

I presume his hype coming out was comparable to something like Parris Campbell this year then? Sorry for the noob questions, just trying to understand his upside (if any)

joeya2001
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby joeya2001 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:08 pm

so most of you think the Bengals offense can support

AJ Green
Mixon
Boyd
and Ross?

I'll pass on Ross
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs

QB- Russell Wilson, Lamar Jackson, Philip Rivers, Jimmy G,
RB- Nick Chubb, Sony Michael, Matt Berida Peyton Barber, Chase Edmonds
WR- OBJ, Mike Evans, Amari Cooper, Julio Jones, Sammy Watkins, Emmanuel Sanders, Preston Wilson, Corey Davis
TE- George Kittle,Darren Waller
"When we die we go bye bye"
Abe Lincolns