O.J. Howard Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
theone
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: O.J. Howard, Where would you take him?

Postby theone » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:50 pm

Late 1st is when I would start thinking about him in most leagues. We can learn a lot by the ADP data from the last few years. Just not the value growth opportunity of WRs/RBs. Similarly to QBs, people do not value TEs that much do the large supply available. TE fantasy production also tends to be more scheme dependent than WR/RB.
I also have Engram ahead of Howard. Not the better overall player but a TE who will essentially play receiver in the NFL with better receiving skills/college production than Howard and similarly impressive athletic traits.

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:27 pm

I may end up missing the boat on Howard, but I don't want to spend a mid -1st on him or any other TE for that matter. In general TEs take a while to develop and it usually leads to young TEs depressing in value before they start to rise. I'd much rather let someone spend a high pick on a TE and then look to buy a TE that's been around for a year or two, right before they blossom.

On top of that, if this is supposed to be one of the best TE classes in recent memory (if not ever), all that does is make me less willing to spend a high pick on TE due to the quality options that will be available in the 2nd.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:29 pm

BuckeyeNation wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:27 pm I may end up missing the boat on Howard, but I don't want to spend a mid -1st on him or any other TE for that matter. In general TEs take a while to develop and it usually leads to young TEs depressing in value before they start to rise. I'd much rather let someone spend a high pick on a TE and then look to buy a TE that's been around for a year or two, right before they blossom.

On top of that, if this is supposed to be one of the best TE classes in recent memory (if not ever), all that does is make me less willing to spend a high pick on TE due to the quality options that will be available in the 2nd.
GREAT point. Spot on
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:42 pm

BuckeyeNation wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:27 pm I may end up missing the boat on Howard, but I don't want to spend a mid -1st on him or any other TE for that matter. In general TEs take a while to develop and it usually leads to young TEs depressing in value before they start to rise. I'd much rather let someone spend a high pick on a TE and then look to buy a TE that's been around for a year or two, right before they blossom.

This is exactly right. In TE premium I can see drafting and holding with a premium pick 1.-4/5/6 but for my money I will wait and draft guys in the 2nd/3rd. Now if he is around at 10-12 I am probably taking him just because he is the best of this solid class of TE's imo
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

koalabear
Captain
Captain

Postby koalabear » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:23 am

wildabeast49 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:19 pm
schiewerma21 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:43 pm Howard is a stud. It's kinda weird to me.

So Eric Ebron (in that loaded 2014 class) I say be valued as high as 1.05.

Now I understand this class is pretty loaded as well, but I do put it SLIGHTLY below that 2014 class as a whole. Still a great class.

But Howard is a better prospect than Ebron was. So how can he not be considered a top 6 pick?

Idk I think Howard is a rare talent (like most have said) and if you want to take him 1.05/1.06 do it.

Don't get crazy and say he's a top 3 pick but if you love him enough and can't trade down at say 1.05 take your guy

Any thoughts to that?
Because Ebron should have never been considered a top 6 pick either. If this TE class is an all time great there's zero value in taking a TE that highly. I would only consider putting him up that high if he hits an elite landing spot like NO (I currently would take him around 1.12 ish) where he has a reasonable chance to produce like a wr2. If you draft him at 1.5, wait the usual two to three years and get greg olsen I just dont see it as worth it.
Funny cos I see Ebron and Howard as being similar in that neither scored many TDs in college and that has translated so far for Ebron in the pros.

Now Howard is a better player than Ebron I reckon. But for fantasy, I'd rather have Engram.
1. 12 team 1pt PPR. Start 1 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-4 WR, 1-2 TE. Yr 7
QB: Murray, Stafford
RB: Dobbins, Sanders, Pearce
WR: Jefferson, Burks, JuJu
TE: Goedert, Everett
2023: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

2. 12 team 1pt PPR. Start 1 QB, 2-4 RB, 3-5 WR, 1-3 TE. Yr 6.
QB: Jackson, Allen
RB: Akers, CEH
WR: Chase, M Brown, Pittman, M Williams
TE: Tonyan, Hooper
2023: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

3. 12 team superflex, PPR (WR/RB/TE 1/1.25/1.5). Start 1-2 QB, 1-7 RB, WR, TE. Yr 5.
QB: Jackson, Prescott, Brady
RB: Singletary, Harris
WR: Jefferson, Adams, Burks, Evans, Lockett
TE: Hockenson
2023: 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:52 am

just looked at the dlf rookie top 50 and agreeing with the premise that TE usually takes a year or two to "get it" , jake butt and adam sheheen are not even in the top 50 and bucky hodges is 27th . Those price points make drafting howard at his 1:9 or even engram @ 1;10 or njoku @ 1:12 cost prohibitive for my taste . I like all 3 players especially engram and howard but if I get stuck with shaheen hodges or jake butt around 30th or later that is OK . I may even forego drafting a TE entirely and grab gerald everett george kittle ( watching his blocking tape & knowing his athleticism tells me he will be on the field very early) or jordan leggett as an UDFA that seems far more palatable at this point.
Last edited by clarion contrarion on Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

23B_Mills
Role Player
Role Player

Postby 23B_Mills » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:27 am

My thought exactly. Probably gonna have to miss out on Howard
Team 1 -- Year 2 of a Rebuild Projected 2 year rebuild from 2016.
10 Team, Superflex, PPR -- 6pts/TD Pass, 1.5pts/10 rush yards 1pt. per 25 KR/PR yards
Start QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, 2 FLEX, OP, DL, 2LB, DB, 3DFLX, DEF/ST, K
Roster 35

QB: Wilson, Goff, Garoppolo, Lynch
RB: Howard, Cook, Rawls, Prosise, Richard, Conner, Alfred Blue
WR: Robinson, Baldwin, Doctson, Treadwell, Maclin, Lockett, Richardson, Stills, Goodwin, Godwin, Woods, Reynolds, Chad Williams
TE: Brate, Njoku, Higbee, Jonnu Smith
DL: F. Cox, C. Campbell, E. Griffin
LB: T. Smith, D. Jones, J. Davis, L. Alexander
DB: E. Thomas T. Waynes, J. Peppers
2018 Picks -- 2 1st, 2 2nd, 3rd, 2 4th, 3 5th

Team 2 -- 7-1 (2nd)
12 Team Superflex Standard Scoring
Roster 30

QB: Wilson, Trubisky, Siemian
RB: Mixon, Miller, Martin, Anderson, Duke Johnson, Collins, Conner, Darkwa
WR: Thomas, Hill, Crabtree, Coleman, Maclin, Lee, Lockett, Mike Williams, Perriman, Golladay, Godwin, Hollins
TE: Brate, Rudolph, Njoku, Smith

psfox2010
Captain
Captain

Postby psfox2010 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:46 am

BuckeyeNation wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:27 pm
That's my exact thinking. I have the 1.10 and 2.01, so I'd be tempted to take him at one of those picks, but I couldn't spend a 1.05-1.08 on him for the reason you stated.

I also agree with the above poster and there are a few solid TEs (Butt, etc.) who will probably go undrafted in my league and could just pick them up after the draft.
10 team, Full PPR, 27 man roster
2018 Champion, 2020 Champion
QB/2 RB/2 WR/1 TE/2 Flex/Defense/Kicker

QB: Allen, Watson, Fields
RB: Barkley, Taylor, Harris Chubb
WR: Ridley, Cooper, Thielen, M. Thomas, D. Smith, Boyd E. Moore, R. Moore, Reagor, St. Brown
TE: Kelce, Fant, Engram
Defense: Denver
Kicker: Gay

2022: None
2023: 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd

eNdblu
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby eNdblu » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:00 am

Where did Tyler Eifert go in your league the year he was drafted?
He was also the 2nd skill position guy to go off the board in that draft, so that may be a good starting point to considering when/where he may be drafted?
16tm SC w/ tiered PPR (0.25/0.5/1.0) 1QB 1RB 1WR 1TE 3FLX
QB - Burrow(2), Tannehill(1)
RB - Taylor(2), Williams(3), Gibson(2), Dillon(2)
WR - Godwin(5), Metcalf(1), Pittman(2), Mingo(5), Boutte(5), Metchie(4), Renfrow(1), Mims(3)
TE - Kelce(1), Pitts(3), Kincaid(5), Njoku(3), Gesicki(5), Thomas[WSH](2)

16tm TE PPR Prem 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2OFLX 1DL 2LB 1DB 1DFLX
QB - Murray, Winston
RB - CEH, Penny, Sanders, Mattison, Wilson
WR - Hill, McLaurin, Jeudy, JuJu, Ridley, Edwards, Ruggs
TE - Goedert, Johnson[NOS]
DL - Young LB - Kirksey, Tranquill, Walker[GB], Walker[ATL] DB - Sneed

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:50 pm

koalabear wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:23 am
wildabeast49 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:19 pm
schiewerma21 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:43 pm Howard is a stud. It's kinda weird to me.

So Eric Ebron (in that loaded 2014 class) I say be valued as high as 1.05.

Now I understand this class is pretty loaded as well, but I do put it SLIGHTLY below that 2014 class as a whole. Still a great class.

But Howard is a better prospect than Ebron was. So how can he not be considered a top 6 pick?

Idk I think Howard is a rare talent (like most have said) and if you want to take him 1.05/1.06 do it.

Don't get crazy and say he's a top 3 pick but if you love him enough and can't trade down at say 1.05 take your guy

Any thoughts to that?
Because Ebron should have never been considered a top 6 pick either. If this TE class is an all time great there's zero value in taking a TE that highly. I would only consider putting him up that high if he hits an elite landing spot like NO (I currently would take him around 1.12 ish) where he has a reasonable chance to produce like a wr2. If you draft him at 1.5, wait the usual two to three years and get greg olsen I just dont see it as worth it.
Funny cos I see Ebron and Howard as being similar in that neither scored many TDs in college and that has translated so far for Ebron in the pros.

Now Howard is a better player than Ebron I reckon. But for fantasy, I'd rather have Engram.
Ebron is an interesting point. He's an enigma around here, but he's pretty much a perfect example of how TE's are going to develop. The TD's haven't been there, but he's gradually become a bigger and bigger part of Detroit's offense and may breakout next season in Year 4.

Currently, Ebron is going behind the 1.10 in DLF rankings. So, depending on the league, you could get him for a late 1st or early 2nd. I think this is a great TE class, but for the people who are so anxious to take players like Howard and Engram early, reconsider how patient you're going to be for the ride. It takes a while for TE's to become startable fantasy contributors.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:40 pm

I think the top 7 players in this draft are studs. Best bets are McCathery, Fournette, Davis. Dalvin Cook, Joe Mixon and Mike Williams are a little questionable. Howard is in the 4-7 conversation. I'd probably take Howard at 6 over Dalvin Cook, but may change my mind after the draft if Cook is drafted higher than I expect.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:45 pm

23B_Mills wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:27 am

My thought exactly. Probably gonna have to miss out on Howard

Unless you have the 2.02 pick or better, I wouldn't expect Engram and Njoku to be there for you in the 2nd.

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:06 pm

What hasn't been referenced yet is the fact that you generally only "have" to start one TE, so the position automatically loses importance relative to the other skill positions where the top 8-12 players generally outscore (or come close to outscoring) the top TE. On top of that, the turnover at being a TE1 is a guessing game from year to year. How many had Kyle Rudolph as TE3? Jack Doyle as TE12? TE generally doesn't matter much unless you've got the best one (Gronk), and he comes with his own pitfalls.

I'm not trying to say OJ isn't a legit prospect. He looks to be able to play right away as a great blocker and a great receiver, but it's hard to advocate drafting a position that is unlikely to produce a decent return on your pick (in terms of value, not points scored) and that you can likely purchase when you need the production for about half the price as it takes to draft a "future stud" who may or may not be that.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:11 pm

I don't know if I buy into the whole, since there are other good options at TE why waste your high pick on the best option argument. Seems like flawed logic. There are lots of decent WRs so why should I want OBJ/Brown/Julio/Evans? Well they scores more than the other options, thus making my team better. Engram and Njoku being good options doesn't take away from Howard if he has the talent to be considered in the top 5 picks, unless they are just as talented and are being undervalued.

I think the argument you have to make is that Howard won't help your team be better than the players you'd be willing to draft above him.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:17 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:11 pm I don't know if I buy into the whole, since there are other good options at TE why waste your high pick on the best option argument. Seems like flawed logic. There are lots of decent WRs so why should I want OBJ/Brown/Julio/Evans? Well they scores more than the other options, thus making my team better. Engram and Njoku being good options doesn't take away from Howard if he has the talent to be considered in the top 5 picks, unless they are just as talented and are being undervalued.

I think the argument you have to make is that Howard won't help your team be better than the players you'd be willing to draft above him.
Yeah I think there is a fallacy in rookie drafts to think "oh I'll just take the next guy and get 90% of the production". That's not really how it works. It's often the difference between an uber stud and a total bust, even though as prospects the second guy seemed only "a little worse".

RG3 isn't giving people 90% of the production of Andrew Luck, but plenty of people were willing to move back a spot because RG3 was almost as good.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert