hoos89
Legend
Legend

Re: Gardner Minshew

Postby hoos89 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:59 pm

Looks preeetty good so far tonight
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

chubnubbin
Starter
Starter

Postby chubnubbin » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:51 pm

hot start for sure.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:29 pm

Finished with 204 passing yards. He’s mediocre
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:37 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:29 pm Finished with 204 passing yards. He’s mediocre
Aaron Rodgers has 203 and 209 passing yards in his 2 games. He must be mediocre too.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:39 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:29 pm Finished with 204 passing yards. He’s mediocre
Jags knew they had it. He had 96 in the first quarter and they went up 14-0. They scaled it back after that, but he really did show good decision making consistently. Had Westrbrook not dropped passes, and if Lee had looked a bit early if he'd read the pressure coming correctly, it could have easily been 320 plus with 4 TD's. Since Foles got hurt, Minshew has stepped in and played very well.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:40 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:37 pm
Aaron Rodgers has 203 and 209 passing yards in his 2 games. He must be mediocre too.
He has been this year thus far. But he’s also a proven commodity and his situation isn’t comparable. I just don’t understand the love for a backup playing like a backup.
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:45 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:40 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:37 pm
He has been this year thus far. But he’s also a proven commodity and his situation isn’t comparable. I just don’t understand the love for a backup playing like a backup.
What? His passer rating was at 111.8 prior to tonight, and he had a108.2 rating tonight, and that doesn't take into account Lee not understanding he could have had an 70 plus yard TD if he understood the defense, and an egregious 25-30ish yard TD drop by Westbrook. That's not backup caliber play, even if he ultimately ends up a backup. Sorry you didn't pick him up anywhere, but he's playing very well. You mention his yards, but not the context. He was on pace for almost 400 yards in the game, but they went up 14-0 against a team they could basically beat at that point by playing it safe, against a bad offense, with a good defense......and then of course, there was a driving rain.

Don't get me wrong, there are sooooo many players that flash in small sample sizes. However, a rookie QB, thrown into this? He's looked really good, all things considered. He may be nobody in a year, but right now, he's looking good. Especially, and I can't state this enough. Especially because of the position and lack of established talent around him.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:54 pm

He’s on waivers in my main league. I did pick him up in my rebuild deep league. Thanks for the assumption though. I haven’t seen anything that makes me think he won’t go back to the bench when the franchise QB comes back. Realistically do you think he becomes a viable fantasy starter past this year? Or is it more likely he is a career backup with a the upside to have a Glennon type stub starter year? I’d predict the later. I think that’s a rationale view of his prospects, which I brought here because no one seems to be giving a thoughtful counter argument to the hype.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:00 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:54 pm He’s on waivers in my main league. I did pick him up in my rebuild deep league. Thanks for the assumption though. I haven’t seen anything that makes me think he won’t go back to the bench when the franchise QB comes back. Realistically do you think he becomes a viable fantasy starter past this year? Or is it more likely he is a career backup with a the upside to have a Glennon type stub starter year? I’d predict the later. I think that’s a rationale view of his prospects, which I brought here because no one seems to be giving a thoughtful counter argument to the hype.
In today's NFL, I think he's a far better shot than Glennon to be anything. Foles has been paid, and I do think he will start again, unless Gardner is really moving this team. However, it would not be the first time it's happened. I like Foles, but if Minshew keeps playing well, I really don't know the outcome. If it's 1 QB, who cares. But in a SF, he's someone you want right now. I only play in one, 1 QB league, and only because I like a lot of the people in the league. I play almost exclusively Super Flex, I find the 1 QB format boring. Minshew is a non issue in 1 QB leagues, but in SF, he's a thing right now. I think he's been exceptional so far, given the circumstances he's been thrown into.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:04 pm

Sure absolutely get any starting QB in a SF. If you got him on waivers You love what he’s giving you and hope he can leverage this into further opportunity. I’d also be looking to trade ASAP to a believer if I could get something worthwhile.

And I agree with the sentiment that he’s outperformed expectations for a late round rookie.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:15 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:04 pm Sure absolutely get any starting QB in a SF. If you got him on waivers You love what he’s giving you and hope he can leverage this into further opportunity. I’d also be looking to trade ASAP to a believer if I could get something worthwhile.

And I agree with the sentiment that he’s outperformed expectations for a late round rookie.
I grabbed him for WW money, and have Foles already, in a SF. I am locked into the Jags starting QB in one way or another. I even have Dobbs, just in case. :lol: I was not expecting much when I picked him up, but he has looked good compared to what I expected, especially for a late round rookie. Can't get too high or low yet, but he's definitely doing what is needed to gain the confidence of his teammates and coaches, and that says something, at least in the short term. Again, if it was 1 QB I was playing, I'm not paying a lot of attention to this thread at all.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:20 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:15 pm Again, if it was 1 QB I was playing, I'm not paying a lot of attention to this thread at all.
This is probably the disconnect, or rather my error, in making a counter argument here. I wasn’t coming in with a SF mindset.

Enjoy Minshew SF players.

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:23 pm

He looked real good tonight. This may be more than a flash in the pan.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:23 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:20 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:15 pm Again, if it was 1 QB I was playing, I'm not paying a lot of attention to this thread at all.
This is probably the disconnect, or rather my error, in making a counter argument here. I wasn’t coming in with a SF mindset.

Enjoy Minshew SF players.
:thumbup:

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:25 pm