Gardner Minshew

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Gardner Minshew

Postby slaughterrt » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:18 am

notweswelker wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:55 am
Ice wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:34 am Foles has won a Super Bowl and got hurt throwing a near perfect TD pass.

Minshew hasn’t won a game in the NFL.

He is worth a flyer but it’s not difficult. Foles is the starter.

The Jags will have to go undefeated until Foles is healthy before he is even considered a real threat.
I have no shares of either, but I disagree wholeheartedly with this take.
Foles wasn't even the starter on his own team after winning that Superbowl.
He's essentially been a high quality back-up caliber player his entire career and has proved absolutely nothing in JAX as of yet.
If Minshew steps in and plays well Foles' spot is pretty easily up for grabs. Is he actually going to do that? I don't know. But you're talking about Foles like he is some franchise QB whose spot is secure, when that's pretty far from reality.
Assuming he plays well, the only thing standing in the way of Minshew keeping the starting role is Foles’ contract.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:52 pm

notweswelker wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:55 am
Ice wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:34 am Foles has won a Super Bowl and got hurt throwing a near perfect TD pass.

Minshew hasn’t won a game in the NFL.

He is worth a flyer but it’s not difficult. Foles is the starter.

The Jags will have to go undefeated until Foles is healthy before he is even considered a real threat.
I have no shares of either, but I disagree wholeheartedly with this take.
Foles wasn't even the starter on his own team after winning that Superbowl.
He's essentially been a high quality back-up caliber player his entire career and has proved absolutely nothing in JAX as of yet.
If Minshew steps in and plays well Foles' spot is pretty easily up for grabs. Is he actually going to do that? I don't know. But you're talking about Foles like he is some franchise QB whose spot is secure, when that's pretty far from reality.
Think a reality check is in order a bit on Foles. The High quality Backup may have some truth to it but the fact is Foles signed a 4 year 88,000,000 million dollar contract with a 25,000,000 signing bonus to be their franchise QB and 50,125,000 of that money is fully guaranteed.

Obviously he is not Brady but was signed to be the Jags Franchise QB.

One can question the Jags wisdom but Foles has a 588 career winning percentage. and a winning record on the road. In fact only 8 QB's in the league with 20 or more starts have a better winning percentage. Foles is tied for 9th with Drew Brees in that category.

While Minshew may develop, it is important note we wouldn't even be having this conversation if a 300 pound lineman didn't land on him as Foles released 35 yard TD pass thrown perfectly.

It was Foles body of work starting 51 games in this league that landed him an 88,000,000 million dollar contract to be the starter in Jacksonville. His 69 TD's to only 33 Int's and his 61.2% completion percentage to go along with 11,240 passing yards didn't hurt either.

Time to pump the brakes on the promising 6th round rookie pick with zero starts in the NFL that has played at East Carolina and Washington State where he amassed a 14-16 career record. He was very good his senior season at Washington State.

Like I mentioned he is worth a flyer and fun to talk about but the odds of Foles losing his starting job permanently because of a collar bone injury are extremely low at this level. If you take that bet you better get serious odds.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:20 pm

It is going to be interesting for sure - as we have history on both sides of the equation.

Brady over Bledsoe
Warner over Trent Green

But we also have

Wentz over Foles
Garoppolo over Mullens

Basically if it does happen it will be because we are seeing something historical/magical in the making.

Guys like Keenum, Bradford & Fitzpatrick have had good portions of seasons but never had (imo) an extended period over multiple years where they had sustained success. Of course going from team to team never really helps. Had Foles had a strong year this year - that would have been 3 straight years where he put up solid performances - but he didnt so now it is more up in the air.

I think that the longer Minshew plays well, and if the Jaguars remain in playoff contention - it will be more of a controversy / likelyhood he remains the starter - but if all he does is play 'average' and/or the Jaguars struggle to win then they'll go back to Foles, and Minshew will just be a guy other teams will target as a backup.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:23 pm

You can't compete against this.

Attachments
IMG_20190914_201930.jpg
IMG_20190914_201930.jpg (58.18 KiB) Viewed 721 times
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:45 pm

Haha you’re right..... what was I thinking! 😁

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:46 pm

I need a cold shower

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:07 am

How was he in Week II - from what I can see he was solid and did not do anything to cost the Jaguars the game ...

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:13 am

ArrylT wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:07 am How was he in Week II - from what I can see he was solid and did not do anything to cost the Jaguars the game ...
3 fumbles;one lost. The Lost Fumble was in his own end of the field that the Texans converted for their TD.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:15 am

Ice wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:13 am
ArrylT wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:07 am How was he in Week II - from what I can see he was solid and did not do anything to cost the Jaguars the game ...
3 fumbles;one lost. The Lost Fumble was in his own end of the field that the Texans converted for their TD.
Appreciate the update. :thumbup:

Not sure why but not too disappointed by that - probably because I think QB fumbles are flukier than INTs (could be mistaken) and his inexperience might be a cause of that.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:48 am

ArrylT wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:15 am
Ice wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:13 am
Appreciate the update. :thumbup:

Not sure why but not too disappointed by that - probably because I think QB fumbles are flukier than INTs (could be mistaken) and his inexperience might be a cause of that.
Agree.

He is fearless which is good to see. Adjusting to the speed of the game in the trenches and feeling the pressure takes some time. QB's have to learn to adjust their internal clock given the game is much faster than college.

dlf4lyfe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dlf4lyfe » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:57 am

Definitely fearless. Have to love seeing that from a rookie. Not sure he will be a viable consistent option this year though. Could be worth a stash in deeper leagues. Does not help his progression that they have to turnaround and play the Titans on Thursday, at least they are in Jax.
10 team | 10 Keepers | .5 ppr | QB | RBx2 | WRx2 | RB/WR/TE | WR/TE | K | D/ST

QB: Burrow | Prescott
RB: Chubb | Dobbins | Sanders | Edwards-Helaire | Patterson | Edmonds | Henderson | Edwards | Benjamin
WR/TE: Moore | London | Kelce | Cooks | Lockett | Lazard | Parker | Jones

Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Postby Pet_Smith » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:21 am

didn't see much, but saw the end. Basically singlehandedly created the drive to go the length of the field and get the tying (if they'd gone for 1) TD. And then on the 2 point conversion, having been hot all drive, terrible play calling to hand it off to Lenny, who hadn't been able to get much of anything going all game. If they'd let Minshew go for it, I would have backed him to make it - either with his arm or legs.
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:00 am

Came here to see how the Minshew love was dealing with his bad week 2. Surprised to see optimism after that performance. He was terrible in the first half, nondescript in the 2nd until the last drive. Houston completely sold out to stop the run game with stacked boxes and Minshew could do nothing about it. Don't see him taking anybody's starting job unless he can turn it around.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:59 am

I am still optimistic about it and he showed a certain attitude I like. I was not expected lights out from a 6th round rookie qb playing his first game.

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:16 pm

I only got to see that last drive, which he looked determined on. I really wish they would have given him the chance to win the game. I would have liked to see what he would have done with it.
20 Team Superflex (1/2 PPR / 6pt TD's)
11 Starters - QB 1(2), RB 2(4), WR 2(5), TE 2(3)

QB - Kirk Cousins, Deshaun Watson
RB - Christian McCaffrey, JK Dobbins, Tony Pollard, Jaylen Warren
WR - Odell Beckham, Adam Thielen, Allen Robinson, Donavan Peoples-Jones
TE - Mark Andrews, Jonnu Smith