Gardner Minshew

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Gardner Minshew

Postby kadun2 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:00 am

The MAC Machine wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:11 am As a Eagles fan I wouldnt mind Hurts getting Fole'd by Minshew Mania. Yes, I just made that a sentence.
Nice :clap:
Hopefully they don’t start some type of time share like the Saints did with Hill for awhile.

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:11 am

The MAC Machine wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:11 am As a Eagles fan I wouldnt mind Hurts getting Fole'd by Minshew Mania. Yes, I just made that a sentence.
If you mean “only starting in the case of injury”, like we saw with Foles/Wentz, I agree (also an Eagles fan). Hurts seems to have pretty limited arm strength, but he looks like he has a howitzer compared to Minshew.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:13 am

minshew's farts cure cancer.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:18 am

nathanq42 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:44 pm This guy deserves to be a teams full time QB... He's gotta be better than at least 5 starters in the league
I'd take Minshew over:
Hertz
Goff
Jimmy G
Anyone on CAR
Big Ben
Bridgewater/Lock
Probably Zach Wilson
Maybe Fields
I'm all in with you on those!
nathanq42 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:44 pm Matt Ryan
Heinicke
Probably Wentz
I'm pulling the line and thinking about stepping off the train now. Minshew's not a bad choice over these three if you had to make a decision right now, but two of these guys have looked better for longer. And Heinicke has looked about as good and is just as young. But, a reasonable argument could be made to take Minshew over these three.

nathanq42 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:44 pm Probably Tua
I'm running from the train and throwing a grenade in it!

Let's not get carried away.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:58 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:58 am Lol from the poster above me

The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"
⛳️Jaguars will finish 11-6 and make the playoffs
⛳️If Sam Darnold finishes outside of the top 13 QB in 2021 then StripesOfKC & Sriracha get to decide what my new handle and icon will be. :thumbup:
Bumped for we must not forget.

Gardner is one of the best personalities in the NFL, and I love rooting for him. Dude is a kook in the absolute best way, we love to see it.

We also need to remember: this is the Jets. They rank bottom 2 in nearly every defensive metric you care to name: DVOA, weighted DVOA, pass defense'd stats...

It's a fun story, but Gardner is still a Fitzpatrick level talent at best. Yesterday was the Case Keenum game plan from a few weeks back - screens, short throws, dump offs.

It's a great story, and I'm here for it. Just remember who it came against.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:03 pm

mild wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:58 pm
Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:58 am Lol from the poster above me

The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"
⛳️Jaguars will finish 11-6 and make the playoffs
⛳️If Sam Darnold finishes outside of the top 13 QB in 2021 then StripesOfKC & Sriracha get to decide what my new handle and icon will be. :thumbup:
Bumped for we must not forget.

Gardner is one of the best personalities in the NFL, and I love rooting for him. Dude is a kook in the absolute best way, we love to see it.

We also need to remember: this is the Jets. They rank bottom 2 in nearly every defensive metric you care to name: DVOA, weighted DVOA, pass defense'd stats...

It's a fun story, but Gardner is still a Fitzpatrick level talent at best. Yesterday was the Case Keenum game plan from a few weeks back - screens, short throws, dump offs.

It's a great story, and I'm here for it. Just remember who it came against.
:lol: thanks for the reminder

I do believe you're doing him a disservice lumping him in with Fitzpatrick.

Fitzpatrick's achilles heel has always been that he can implode on any given day and his production comes largely from his willingness to throw 50/50 passes that allow his receivers to make a play (which is the reason he's unable to avoid his turnover prone moniker despite being a very cerebral passer).

Minshew has largely avoided turnovers throughout his career.

Chad Pennington is probably a more apt comparison.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:05 pm

:clap: :clap:

I use to make fun of this stud but clearly, he makes the NFL and this site better by his sheer presence!
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:13 pm

We're getting a bit carried away here. Minshew is basically Baker Mayfield with a weird mustache and a little less talent. He's a decent QB, but he's not franchise material and no team will truly feel comfortable with him as their multi-year starter.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:47 pm

Sriracha wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:03 pm I do believe you're doing him a disservice lumping him in with Fitzpatrick.

Fitzpatrick's achilles heel has always been that he can implode on any given day and his production comes largely from his willingness to throw 50/50 passes that allow his receivers to make a play (which is the reason he's unable to avoid his turnover prone moniker despite being a very cerebral passer).

Minshew has largely avoided turnovers throughout his career.
Sorry, I should reiterate: I was speaking more towards his path as a journeyman from here on out.

I do agree that via playstyle, Fitz definitely offers a lot more chutzpah downfield. Gardner takes care of the ball and plays smart possessions, and that's most definitely to his credit.

But yeah, because...
dynastyninja wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:13 pm We're getting a bit carried away here. Minshew is basically Baker Mayfield with a weird mustache and a little less talent. He's a decent QB, but he's not franchise material and no team will truly feel comfortable with him as their multi-year starter.
... I pretty much agree with this. (It's not a weird mustache... it's awesome!)

On a personal level - and I try and avoid speculation on this side of players in general... but I also wonder if his "Personality" is just too large-and-in-charge for teams to feel comfortable with going all-in on vs. the returns on his upside as a player. He's a cult figure in every sense of the term - typically teams want their QB's a touch more clean cut. (You've got to be truly special as a talent to get away with going "full Cam Newton" for example)

Despite the fact that all of this is the exact reason we love him, and why all of Philly is engulfed in Minshew Mania right now after dispatching the lowly Jets. God only knows, I wish I could rock that mo+flight jacket+mullet combination... as a human, the man is 100% a MF'ing Stallion.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:58 pm

Sriracha wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:03 pm Chad Pennington is probably a more apt comparison.
Wow, that's actually a very appropriate comparison. :clap: I hadn't thought of CP in a long time, but Minshew could fit his role.
TEAM 1:
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:06 am

One good half vs the J-E-T-S ... JETS,JETS,JETS
Everyone is drinking the Minshew Mania kool-aid but there wasn’t enough to prove he is “THE MAN”
“One swallow does not a franchise QB make”

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:13 am

cazzie33 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:06 am One good half vs the J-E-T-S ... JETS,JETS,JETS
Everyone is drinking the Minshew Mania kool-aid but there wasn’t enough to prove he is “THE MAN”
I think what's more important is that he CAN elevate a team's offense. He's thus far been inconsistent in doing so, but has done it more consistently than Hurts...has he not? I suppose that's somewhat subjective.
I see it as a Nick Foles thing (coincidentally on the Eagles at that time) or Jared Goff, where they were/are capable of some pretty bad weeks but also capable of some pretty team elevating weeks. Minshew is at this level, which is a below league average capable of starting and even capable of getting hot and making a strong playoff run or even win a superbowl type of hot streak. I think Minshew has that in him. Consistently elevating the team like the top QBs do? No, he hasn't shown that...but he is young and I think he should be given the shot to develop.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:29 am

Valhalla wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:13 amMinshew is at this level, which is a below league average capable of starting and even capable of getting hot and making a strong playoff run or even win a superbowl type of hot streak. I think Minshew has that in him. Consistently elevating the team like the top QBs do? No, he hasn't shown that...but he is young and I think he should be given the shot to develop.
++
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:12 pm

Better shot of being a starter in 2022:

Minshew, Mariota or Trubisky?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:23 pm

cazzie33 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:06 am One good half vs the J-E-T-S ... JETS,JETS,JETS
Don't think anybody was suggesting he's a franchise QB, but he sure showed the other guy behind center in Philly may not be, either. :wink:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick