Is Delone Carter pretty close to seeing alot of work?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Mangelo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Is Delone Carter pretty close to seeing alot of work?

Postby Mangelo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:28 pm

seahawks506 wrote:
Mangelo wrote:Better than Addai? Maybe between the tackles, but that's it. Time to tap the brakes on the blind optimism.
This was a piece of analysis that I tend to agree with:

"In closing, Delone Carter isn't going to step in a replace Joseph Addai. More likely, he can grow into an extremely serviceable North-South running back who, when coupled with a speedier backfield-mate, can provide some solid, dependable offense. I can't say he'll get you six yards a carry all game. But I'm pretty confident if you need him to get you two very tough yards on third down, he's a guy who can trust. I mean, have you seen that guy's biceps?"

From what I've read, character issues were a bit overblown, he doesn't really fumble, pass-blocking may improve with coaching, he wasn't asked to do much catching so it remains to be seen whether he can be a factor in the passing game (it's ridiculous to say he's a good pass catcher when Antwon Bailey was the one doing that).
That's what I was getting at. To say that he can pass protect and catch w/o ever doing or that its no big deal is blind optimism. The Colts put a heavier emphasis than most teams on those areas, and if Delone gets Peyton's head taken off he won't be seeing the field at all. And like someone else said, the track record of 4th round rbs invites some healthy pessimism.

toine
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby toine » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:28 pm

skip wrote: Agreed. And the concerns about pass protection issues do not concern me. This is a common issue with many RBs coming out of school and something that can be taught.
apparently not to Donald Brown though...

Indy runs a pretty complex scheme, and they seem to prefer a veteran back. The only way Carter sees more work than Addai this year is if (i know, I know.... when...) Addai gets hurt. I think he has more upside than Addai, but he has to learn the offence before he gets a true shot. Brown hasn't been able to do it yet. If Carter can pick it up, he is #2 on the depth chart this year and has a shot at #1 next year. If he can't, he'll see some goal line work and split some reps with Brown behind Addai this year.

Next year could be interesting. If the light bulb finally goes off for Brown, I can see him and Carter in the Colt's backfield next year. If not, I see Addai and Carter.
Don’t be sad that it’s over. Smile because it happened.

??Droppedballs??
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby ??Droppedballs?? » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:28 pm

i actually think he will take over for addai, later on this yr and see an increased role next yr. i also had him ranked alot higher then most predraft, probably, and think his ceiling is high, i personaly think he is in a good situation to succesed. hope he falls to me at 2.5 in my upcoming rookie draft, i got him at 2.9 in my league that already drafted

ekassor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ekassor » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:45 pm

hosler427 wrote:
Mangelo wrote:Better than Addai? Maybe between the tackles, but that's it. Time to tap the brakes on the blind optimism.
Addai came into the league as a "NFL ready RB". His upside was limited from the beginning. Carter has an extremely high ceiling. He is more raw in many areas but there are comparisons to MJD that are valid. He CAN catch the football though he wasn't asked to do so on a regular basis. He does have enough speed to get around the edge. He has great power and vision. Skip is 100% that pass protection is a problem for many RBs that enter the league.

It is also time to tap the breaks on the blind pessimism. Just because an opinion doesn't match yours doesn't mean it isn't valid. This has very little to do with your response and just a general observation about DLF. For years it has been a great place to exchange opinions and debate. Now it seems like a place to state opinion as facts and no one has an open mind. I think people need to be willing to go beyond their own opinions in a lot of cases. Again...that last part has nothing to do with your post...just a general observation.
Hang in there bro, I appreciate the way you go out on a limb to make your point, and I generally agree with you, as I do about Carter. Keep it up!

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:57 am

ekassor wrote:
hosler427 wrote:
Addai came into the league as a "NFL ready RB". His upside was limited from the beginning. Carter has an extremely high ceiling. He is more raw in many areas but there are comparisons to MJD that are valid. He CAN catch the football though he wasn't asked to do so on a regular basis. He does have enough speed to get around the edge. He has great power and vision. Skip is 100% that pass protection is a problem for many RBs that enter the league.

It is also time to tap the breaks on the blind pessimism. Just because an opinion doesn't match yours doesn't mean it isn't valid. This has very little to do with your response and just a general observation about DLF. For years it has been a great place to exchange opinions and debate. Now it seems like a place to state opinion as facts and no one has an open mind. I think people need to be willing to go beyond their own opinions in a lot of cases. Again...that last part has nothing to do with your post...just a general observation.
Hang in there bro, I appreciate the way you go out on a limb to make your point, and I generally agree with you, as I do about Carter. Keep it up!
LOL...trust me...I have no issue hanging in there. I do a lot of work to come up with my opinions. I also like to see what others say because occasionally there is an angle I haven't thought of that does change my opinion on a player. Carter is one of the higher upside guys in this draft and I don't see how he can be slipping to the end of the 2nd round in many rookie drafts when his competition is Addai, Brown and Mike Hart. On the talent end of things, he has so much more talent/upside than someone like Daniel Thomas but some how seems to be ignored. I had Carter ranked around 10th amongst rookies pre-draft. Post draft I have him ranked 8th.

toine
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby toine » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:51 pm

hosler427 wrote: LOL...trust me...I have no issue hanging in there. I do a lot of work to come up with my opinions. I also like to see what others say because occasionally there is an angle I haven't thought of that does change my opinion on a player. Carter is one of the higher upside guys in this draft and I don't see how he can be slipping to the end of the 2nd round in many rookie drafts when his competition is Addai, Brown and Mike Hart. On the talent end of things, he has so much more talent/upside than someone like Daniel Thomas but some how seems to be ignored. I had Carter ranked around 10th amongst rookies pre-draft. Post draft I have him ranked 8th.
The latest he should be going is at the top of the 2nd round in rookie drafts. I am surprised when people say he fell to the bottom of the second... That many would take him around 1.8 or 1.9 is completely justifiable IMO. I just think that people may have to wait until next year to really see him take on a large role...
Don’t be sad that it’s over. Smile because it happened.

gaz29
Starter
Starter

Postby gaz29 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:56 am

In one of my 16 team leagues where rookies and free agents are available to be drafted I grabbed Carter with the 3rd pick of the 3rd round. :D :D :D

Someone like Alex Green went at 1.15