Houston running backs.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Houston running backs.

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:16 am

DLF3000 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:02 am Coach/GM OB is on fire!

We need more coach-GMs in the NFL making all these Madden/NBA-style blockbuster trades -future/future draft picks be damned! :mrgreen:

Backfield-wise, I'm still not too excited because I'm not a fan of anyone they have. If anything, their passing game got better - Watson might get wrecked less for a change.
You're the only person I've seen spinning those trades as a positive for HOU

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:47 am

DLF3000 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:02 am Coach/GM OB is on fire!

We need more coach-GMs in the NFL making all these Madden/NBA-style blockbuster trades -future/future draft picks be damned! :mrgreen:

Backfield-wise, I'm still not too excited because I'm not a fan of anyone they have. If anything, their passing game got better - Watson might get wrecked less for a change.
Two firsts and a 2nd for Laremy is pricey. Stills is a throw in, Fuller insurance, I suppose. They will have to pay Laremy the largest contract an OT has ever seen. He better be really good. They gave up Clowney for peanuts, because they obviously felt they needed a LT more. They are paying for it in draft picks AND cap hit.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:48 am

Could you imagine if Tunsil walks?
That would be hilarious..

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:11 am

Ya, a lot of former front office guys are really killing them for not agreeing to an extension with him before completing the trade. These 3 moves (Duke trade, Clowney trade, Tunsil trade) could really cripple the franchise if this goes badly.

chubnubbin
Starter
Starter

Postby chubnubbin » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:30 am

bjd5211 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:11 am Ya, a lot of former front office guys are really killing them for not agreeing to an extension with him before completing the trade. These 3 moves (Duke trade, Clowney trade, Tunsil trade) could really cripple the franchise if this goes badly.
Rightfully so.

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:59 am

ghetto pimp wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:30 am
bjd5211 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:11 am Ya, a lot of former front office guys are really killing them for not agreeing to an extension with him before completing the trade. These 3 moves (Duke trade, Clowney trade, Tunsil trade) could really cripple the franchise if this goes badly.
Rightfully so.
Yeah, this is OB going all in on this year. He must think they're good enough for the SB or he wouldn't take such massive risks in these trades. Though it seems their O got slightly better while the D got slightly worse. Wouldn't shock me if OB's gone after this season if they don't go deep into the playoffs. And then it's time for a new coach, new GM and... less draft picks. :eh:
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:05 am

Houston needs to hire an analytic team soon.
@PlankMelody

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:19 am

Houston gave up a lot of capital to be sure, but the Week 1 roster is SIGNIFICANTLY improved for it, nonetheless.

D-Watson has an absolutely loaded armory now with both Duke *and* Stills added to what was already a productive pass-catching corps, plus a legit blind-side protector; the O-line group on paper looks almost competent now if Howard and Scharping pan out. Although Nick Martin is still soft like Charmin.

If Houston has a top 5 offense this year, people will forgive the bungling with Clowney. And let's not forget Clowney's only had one fully healthy season in four years; although less so than Houston ofc, Seattle's taken a bit of a gamble here too, trading a 3rd for what might only be a one-year rental for a player that seems injury prone.
sugbear65 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:28 am Hyde gets too much hate. He has hit some rough patches recently
I think going on three years qualifies as longer than 'recently'.

Still; NFL teams don't seem to want to give up on him, so I guess that says something.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:23 am

DLF3000 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:59 am
ghetto pimp wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:30 am
Rightfully so.
Yeah, this is OB going all in on this year. He must think they're good enough for the SB or he wouldn't take such massive risks in these trades. Though it seems their O got slightly better while the D got slightly worse. Wouldn't shock me if OB's gone after this season if they don't go deep into the playoffs. And then it's time for a new coach, new GM and... less draft picks. :eh:
To have a coach making moves like this is just not good. Reminds me a bit of when Hue starting trading picks away for Carson Palmer. I mean, the Texans gave up more for Tunsil than the Bears did to get Mack, and when you consider they drafted a LT in the first round as well, that's 3 firsts plus for the LT position. Sure, their first rounder this year will likely be a RT, but the Texans should have hired a GM by now, IMO. Giving up a 3rd rounder for Duke was the most a team has given for a RB since the Colts traded for T Rich, too, I might add.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:31 am

Ya I understand making moves to capitalize on your win now window, but a detail like forgoing a contract extension with a player you acquire in a trade of this magnitude is a mistake that cannot be made. They needlessly cost themselves a fortune in both money and trade assets when you factor in Clowney. They absolutely could have gotten a quality LT for him if the traded him before the deadline to extend tagged players. They essentially gave him a no trade clause because he had to sign the tag before they traded him anywhere once that deadline passed.

captain howdy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby captain howdy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:38 am

The fantasy reporting has been inexplicable.

Duke is gotten for for a 3rd or 4th..has good stats.. performs when asked.

Hyde ..they get Hyde for a 7th. He's a foot stomper who doesn't perform well and can't keep a job.

Yet Hyde is the guy to own?

I don't buy it. I don't think id even handcuff duke with Hyde in a small roster

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:43 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:14 am Houston has a problem.
I like you man :lol:
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:28 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:19 am Houston gave up a lot of capital to be sure, but the Week 1 roster is SIGNIFICANTLY improved for it, nonetheless.
On paper - their offense? Sure. Their defense? No. This is in the eyes of a fantasy owner.

However, when you look at this roster it has all the makings of something that is going to go up in flames and lead to O'Brien getting fired - I have a hard time seeing them making a deep playoff run. They can probably win the division because.. well, it's the AFC South.

This reminds me of when Al Davis passed away and Hue Jackson had control of personnel for the team; made a lot of desperation moves that certainly made the team better short term (they had their first 8-8 season in a long time) but crippled them afterwards.

What's also not really talked about is that Houston all took on HALF of Clowney's salary, so it's not even like they acquired the cap space to make some more viable moves this year.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:02 pm

They have plenty of cap space though, which makes their stance with Clowney even more confusing. Their entire offseason has made no sense.