Houston running backs.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
doublesticks
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Houston running backs.

Postby doublesticks » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:26 am

As a season ticket holder at Mizzou, I'll weigh in on Crockett since nobody really seems to know much about him. I will admit, I'm not football expert, but just laying out his career and how it ended much less excitingly than it started and why he could be really good in Houston.

He came on late as a freshman and only started twice, but still ran for over 1,000 yds. I read something that said he only had 40 carries through the first 5 games (plus missed the last game of the regular season), so of course the next season, he had a lot of hype and was off to a good start with almost 500 yds. rushing before getting hurt and missing the rest of the season with a shoulder injury.

Larry Rountree III took over and really never gave the job back (LR3 had 1,200 yd. rushing last year)

He definitely has an NFL RB body with some speed, but isn't really a burner unless he gets a step on you and then it might be over...he has kind of deceptive speed for a bigger back and he kind of reminded me a bit of a guy like Michael Turner.

Go watch his college highlights and he just pulls away a couple of time from SEC defenders.

jimmychoi
Starter
Starter

Postby jimmychoi » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:05 pm

doublesticks wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:26 am As a season ticket holder at Mizzou, I'll weigh in on Crockett since nobody really seems to know much about him. I will admit, I'm not football expert, but just laying out his career and how it ended much less excitingly than it started and why he could be really good in Houston.

He came on late as a freshman and only started twice, but still ran for over 1,000 yds. I read something that said he only had 40 carries through the first 5 games (plus missed the last game of the regular season), so of course the next season, he had a lot of hype and was off to a good start with almost 500 yds. rushing before getting hurt and missing the rest of the season with a shoulder injury.

Larry Rountree III took over and really never gave the job back (LR3 had 1,200 yd. rushing last year)

He definitely has an NFL RB body with some speed, but isn't really a burner unless he gets a step on you and then it might be over...he has kind of deceptive speed for a bigger back and he kind of reminded me a bit of a guy like Michael Turner.

Go watch his college highlights and he just pulls away a couple of time from SEC defenders.
Thanks for the information. The more I view of him, the more I like him. I’m just hoping he gets a chance.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:46 pm

The Miami Herald's Barry Jackson mentions Kenyan Drake and Kenny Stills as possible trade bait in a potential deal for unsigned Texans franchise player Jadeveon Clowney.

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:58 pm

Phaded wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:46 pm The Miami Herald's Barry Jackson mentions Kenyan Drake and Kenny Stills as possible trade bait in a potential deal for unsigned Texans franchise player Jadeveon Clowney.
Well that sounds like wishful thinking by a dolphins fan. Unless the Texans are just done with Clowney there would need to be picks in there and that sort of defeats the purpose of the dolphins tank job.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:34 am

Neither player comes close to getting a deal done for Clowney. Drake doesn't complement Duke, and Houston is happy with its WR corps. If Houston deals Clowney, it needs to be for a quality O-lineman.

Anyway...

Houston should make a claim on Zach Zenner. LIke, 100%, they're shitting the bed if they don't. Zenner is cheap, he's pretty good on the special-teams coverage unit, he's a prototypical power-back to complement Duke that can also pass-protect. He checks every box for viable RB depth, whether he's a spot-starter, a #2, or a #3 that contributes on special-teams.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:52 am

ninotoreS wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:34 am Neither player comes close to getting a deal done for Clowney. Drake doesn't complement Duke, and Houston is happy with its WR corps. If Houston deals Clowney, it needs to be for a quality O-lineman.

Anyway...

Houston should make a claim on Zach Zenner. LIke, 100%, they're shitting the bed if they don't. Zenner is cheap, he's pretty good on the special-teams coverage unit, he's a prototypical power-back to complement Duke that can also pass-protect. He checks every box for viable RB depth, whether he's a spot-starter, a #2, or a #3 that contributes on special-teams.
Disagree about the WR corps part. Coutee and Fuller have both dealt with injuries that made them unavailable for a chunk of games in their short careers. Backing up Fuller's downfield attacking with Stills make sense from a team perspective.

Do like the Zenner idea. If they end up going with Hyde, then we (again) learn how much the NFL (over)weighs pedigree.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:12 am

Stills would cost Houston almost 10 million against the cap (and almost 9 mil next year). That's too much to pay a guy Houston would be hoping is never better than their WR4. I'm unsure what you mean exactly by team perspective, but from an economic perspective, giving up a pick for Stills *and* paying him what he's owed doesn't make sense when Houston is already set at WR1/WR2/WR3 and very high on all three players' abilities. Acquiring quality depth that's cheap to hedge their bet on Fuller and Coutee's health would be fine, but Stills ain't cheap.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:26 am

Clowney says he wants the eagles or the seahawks, both teams have decnt backs, clowney for JHow and a pick or Chris Carson and a pick? That'd be a pretty gangster swap for either of their owners
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:44 am

nathanq42 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:26 am Clowney says he wants the eagles or the seahawks, both teams have decnt backs, clowney for JHow and a pick or Chris Carson and a pick? That'd be a pretty gangster swap for either of their owners
I have heard nothing of the teams reciprocating that interest though, only the Dolphins have - Texans wanted Tunsil, they said no.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:02 am

Phaded wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:44 am
nathanq42 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:26 am Clowney says he wants the eagles or the seahawks, both teams have decnt backs, clowney for JHow and a pick or Chris Carson and a pick? That'd be a pretty gangster swap for either of their owners
I have heard nothing of the teams reciprocating that interest though, only the Dolphins have - Texans wanted Tunsil, they said no.
Also Carson is the lead back in SEA and going to Houston would be a downgrade. Penny to Houston could potentially be beneficial for Fantasy but that's not even guaranteed.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:15 am

Team perspective- needs in the field. Fuller is only reliable field stretcher and it's time we recognize his injury history indicates he'll probably continue to have limited availability.

Houston has poor depth, and their #2 and 3 both have had limited availability in the NFL so far. Need to fortify the bench.

Cap- accounting for Clowney's 15 mil franchise tag, Houston has something like 18mil cap space. Which side the pick(s) should be on in a Clowney for Stills+Drake swap would be interesting. The cap dump of Osweiler for a pick could be relevant when trying to trade Stills' contract.

Stills is 27. When DJax was 30 a few years ago, he signed a 3 year deal for 33.5 mil. Stills has 2 years left for 6.525 in cap hit this year and 8.75 mil in 2020.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:23 am

Those teams would have to give way more than that and a pick to get Clowney. Probably a 1st and 3rd more given those 1st's are pretty late. The Texans won't move him unless they get a solid LT IMO but a good thought.

The Redskins would be a serious trade partner. They have a stud LT that hates it there and RB like Peterson.

I think the Texans roll with what they have. Crockett has looked good on early downs and Duke is excellent on passing downs.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:27 am

Go Josh Ferguson!

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:38 am

Current cap space is beside the point. Teams and team ownership don't want to trade assets to acquire a backup WR saddled with a contract demanding the better part of 20 million this season and next. Teams spending money in that fashion are invariably running themselves into the ground.

If Stills is traded with that contract, it'll be to a team plugging him in as a starter right away. Which means he prbly won't be traded.

Gase got Stills a richer contract than he warranted, and now the new regime will prbly have to eat it or simply waive the guy.

Related: the trade for DT last year is one of the moves that got Houston's last GM fired.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:18 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:15 am Team perspective- needs in the field. Fuller is only reliable field stretcher and it's time we recognize his injury history indicates he'll probably continue to have limited availability.

Houston has poor depth, and their #2 and 3 both have had limited availability in the NFL so far. Need to fortify the bench.

Cap- accounting for Clowney's 15 mil franchise tag, Houston has something like 18mil cap space. Which side the pick(s) should be on in a Clowney for Stills+Drake swap would be interesting. The cap dump of Osweiler for a pick could be relevant when trying to trade Stills' contract.

Stills is 27. When DJax was 30 a few years ago, he signed a 3 year deal for 33.5 mil. Stills has 2 years left for 6.525 in cap hit this year and 8.75 mil in 2020.
I highly doubt the Texans want any part of Stills. he may get cut and his baggage is close to Kaep in his woke movement antics. Regardless, the Texans like Texas is pretty conservative so not sure he plays well in Houston outside of football.

The Texans seems pretty high on Vyncint Smith who is entering his 2nd year.

Drake is a Jag.

Clowney is an elite level DE worth close to a 100 million dollar contract. They are not giving him away for a bunch of average. They will just let him sit out and save the 15.5 million or whatever the F tag is for the player. The Texans just don't want to tie up 100 million in another DE with Watt.

Complicating matters the Texans do not have a GM. Teams may try to take advantage but doubt they are stupid enough to move him without getting an elite level player in return or a very good player and a potential top 15 draft choice.

Players like Clowney do not grow on trees and ultimately he will report given there is a ton money on the line. He is allowed to sign anywhere but the price is 2 first rounders under the F Tag rule used by the Texans.

Clowney just fired his agent a few days ago I heard so that too could slow the process.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts