Rookie Draft

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
BucBuc
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Rookie Draft

Postby BucBuc » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:37 am

It's been a discussion in our league on when the rookie draft should take place here's the options
After real NFL draft
Mid July
After preseason week 3

I'm on the after preseason week 3 thoughts??
TEAM 1
12 Team Half PPR Superflex ..1Qb , 2Rb, 3Wr,1 Te, 2Flex 1Superflex 1Def
QBs: Dak,Goff, Burrow
RBS: Bijan,Pacheco,D.Harris,Fournette,GibsonDillon,Penny, Darell Williams,Chestnut,Ty Chandler,M
Ingram, Goodson, K.Ingram
WR:Lamb,Tee,DJM,AJB, Boyd
TE Goedert,
DEF Eagles, Broncos,

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Rookie Draft

Postby abloom » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:45 am

I prefer option 1 or 2 for a couple reasons.

(1) It artificially gives reason to be active during the off-season, and promotes more activity and trades during this time
(2) It rewards those who do their own research
(3) It doesn't cause players to drop significantly due to injury (This doesn't really matter to me, just saying that its a by-product, like last year when Guice went down, he went from a top 3 pick to a bottom of the 1st pick for some reason, and that bugged me).

I do like to draft after week 3 of the preseason for redraft leagues.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, Fields, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens, wilson
T: Kelce, Goedert, Thomas, woods
D: cle, nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson, Browning, Rudolph, Zappe
R: Swift, Walker, Dobbins, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen, Nuk, Tre tucker, C Samuel,
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0009&O=01

Big Al
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Big Al » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:52 am

I like the format in my leagues where you do a couple rounds after the draft in May, and finish the draft in August. It adds value to the later rounds and give you a chance to evaluate the player longer.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:59 am

Drafting in August or Preseason for a dynasty draft is pretty weak in my opinion. I don't want to say that dynasty drafts require extensive research but when you're the guy picking up Phillip Lindsay, Dak Prescott or Tyreek Hill late in rookie drafts or UDFA in July...that's a damn good feeling.

Yeah, if your draft is after minicamp or preseason you may avoid a player getting injured or underperforming but I dunno, that feels disingenuous to me.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:10 am

Mid July is best in my opinion. Preseason week 3 does seem a bit like a cop out.

Dynasty_Analyst
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Dynasty_Analyst » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:13 am

The later you do it the more you reward those with lots of draft capital, and those who do less research. Depends on what your looking for. Those who did there draft before the real draft might have seen Butler as a top 5 pick, and guys like JJaw, Hardman, and Darwin in the 4th and 5th rounds
Fantasy Writer- 5 Yard Rush
@5yardrush @5yarddynasty
https://5yardrush.co.uk/

Content Creator- The Coaches Fantasy Podcast
@coachesfantasy Thefantasycoaches.com

@Dynasty_Analyst - Dynasty content, advice, and tidbits. Hit me up anytime to chat about your dynasty team if you need trade advice, input on the direction to move your team, or anything else.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:22 am

JOHNNY_COCKTAIL wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:13 am The later you do it the more you reward those with lots of draft capital, and those who do less research. Depends on what your looking for. Those who did there draft before the real draft might have seen Butler as a top 5 pick, and guys like JJaw, Hardman, and Darwin in the 4th and 5th rounds
There's definitely a massive risk for all parties involved when you're drafting before the NFL draft, godspeed to those people. I'm sure those leagues are a wild ride all offseason lol.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:44 am

I prefer it to be shortly after the NFL Draft. Gives the leagues something to do in middle of the offseason and requires a bit more work and knowledge on the owners end, plus increases the number of valued options on waivers later which forces even more activity.

spider321
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby spider321 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:36 am

JOHNNY_COCKTAIL wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:13 am The later you do it the more you reward those with lots of draft capital, and those who do less research. Depends on what your looking for. Those who did there draft before the real draft might have seen Butler as a top 5 pick, and guys like JJaw, Hardman, and Darwin in the 4th and 5th rounds
*you’re

*their
12 Team Standard Dynasty - QB, RB, 2WR, 2Flex, K, 3IDP (WR and TE are the same)

QB - Patrick Mahomes, Trevor Lawrence
RB - Bijan Robinson, Christian McCaffrey, Saquon Barkley, Tony Pollard. Najee Harris, Javonte Williams, Rachaad White, D'Andre Swift
WR - Justin Jefferson, Ja'Marr Chase, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Jerry Jeudy, Kyle Pitts, George Pickens, Jameson Williams, Kadarius Toney
K - Daniel Carlson
IDP - Nick Bolton, Devin White, Derwin James

chubnubbin
Starter
Starter

Postby chubnubbin » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:04 am

The earlier the better.

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:09 am

I am in one league that does the first 2 rounds a week BEFORE the actual NFL draft, and then does rounds 3-5 the weekend after the 3rd preseason games in August. The setup is...interesting. It provides for some big hits and misses in the early rounds, and raises the value of at least the 3rd round picks quite a bit.
Personally, I like having the fantasy draft the weekend following the NFL draft, that’s what I do in the league I commish.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:53 pm

I feel if your playing in a league with real American dollars, in the hundreds, then it is best to do the draft in mid August after preseason week 2 or 3. Sure it may be fun to do a draft right after the NFL draft, but few are really in football mode then. Doing your own homework and studying players is completely meaningless...the consensus top WRs pre draft were Kelvin Harmon and Hakeem Butler, which is a complete joke. I think it really takes time to evaluate these rookies and seeing how they do early in training camp helps a lot, specially for later round rookie picks.

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Cherokee » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:10 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:53 pm I feel if your playing in a league with real American dollars, in the hundreds, then it is best to do the draft in mid August after preseason week 2 or 3. Sure it may be fun to do a draft right after the NFL draft, but few are really in football mode then. Doing your own homework and studying players is completely meaningless...the consensus top WRs pre draft were Kelvin Harmon and Hakeem Butler, which is a complete joke. I think it really takes time to evaluate these rookies and seeing how they do early in training camp helps a lot, specially for later round rookie picks.
A May rookie draft is the only way to go. The draft tells us what we need to know. Kelvin Harmon and Butler both were 3rd round picks in my rookie draft. Those guys were pre NFL draft top picks and after the draft they fell hard. August is for Redraft leagues. If you're not in football mode in May, reconsider playing dynasty.
12 Team 1QB IDP Full PPR Start 8
QB- Kenny Pickett, Jake Haener, Clayton Tune
RB- Jerrick McKinnon, Elijah Mitchell, Gus Edwards, Kenneth Gainwell, TDP, Jordan Mason
WR- Rondale Moore, Drake London, Jordan Addison, Terrence Marshall , Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Mecole Hardman, Rashid Shaheed, David Bell
TE- Michael Mayer, Likely, Chig, Cade Otten
LB- Jewell, Deablo, Troy Anderson
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
DB- Brisker, Hufanga, Cine
Taxi Squad: Chase Brown, A.T. Perry, Keaton Mitchell, Khalan Laborn, Lew Nichols lll