Derrick Henry Thread - Is he still King Henry post injury?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Derrick Henry Thread - Is he still King Henry post injury?

Postby Never Veto1 » Wed May 18, 2016 10:07 am

It seems his value has taken quite a hit, and I can't seem to wrap my head around it (I don't see Murray as a threat). Sure he's a bigger back, but the guy can still move, he's bee successful at every level he's played, maybe he'll have a shortened career, but all RB's do. Not many last as long and put up the numbers like AP. It's basically unheard of. It seems to me he has the ability to play and chances are this time next year his value will rise higher than that of Thomas or Sheppard. Why take one of them, when you could take Henry and trade him for one of them plus? Of course anything can happen over a year, but this is just my thought on him. My thought is his stock will only rise once the games get going.
20 Team Superflex (1/2 PPR / 6pt TD's)
11 Starters - QB 1(2), RB 2(4), WR 2(5), TE 2(3)

QB - Kirk Cousins, Deshaun Watson
RB - Christian McCaffrey, JK Dobbins, Tony Pollard, Jaylen Warren
WR - Odell Beckham, Adam Thielen, Allen Robinson, Donavan Peoples-Jones
TE - Mark Andrews, Jonnu Smith

Titus Young's Lawyer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Derrick Henry - Why the Hate?

Postby Titus Young's Lawyer » Wed May 18, 2016 10:58 am

I think his current ADP is right around where it should be a for an RB drafted in the 2nd round. The real RB getting the "hate" has to be Drake.

Krang
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krang » Wed May 18, 2016 11:02 am

I'm not sure I would classify Murray as "not a threat" personally, considering he's being paid too much to NOT be the starter. For me, though, the problem with Henry is he has shown really no reason to believe he'll be a ppr RB, which by itself lowers his value a ton. He's going to need to have pretty darn impressive rushing stats to make up for it, and that often means being pretty heavily touchdown dependent. Not saying I wouldn't take him if the mood suited me when I was OTC, just probably not in the top 5 or 6.

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Wed May 18, 2016 11:13 am

Agree with Krang's point (minimal PPR bump, which caps his value). I think at best he could be an Alf Morris type, but that's not happening this year with Murray healthy. He'll possibly have more TDs than Murray, but if they're both healthy, I have to think the total touches are 2:1 in favor of Murray. Personally I like Sheppard a lot more than Henry, and don't see that changing over the course of the year.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed May 18, 2016 11:18 am

Krang wrote:I'm not sure I would classify Murray as "not a threat" personally, considering he's being paid too much to NOT be the starter. For me, though, the problem with Henry is he has shown really no reason to believe he'll be a ppr RB, which by itself lowers his value a ton. He's going to need to have pretty darn impressive rushing stats to make up for it, and that often means being pretty heavily touchdown dependent. Not saying I wouldn't take him if the mood suited me when I was OTC, just probably not in the top 5 or 6.
Gurley finished RB9 in PPR with 21/188/0 as a receiver. So, he really doesnt need much provided he gets the volume. I'm starting to think more and more that college receiving doesn't tell the whole story. Henry isn't going to be Bell or Freeman in the passing game, but he should be respectable. Melvin Gordon had receiving questions and caught 33 last year.

Tennessee's ground game will be interesting. If Murray has truthfully declined, then Henry could eat into his workload very quickly. If not, I'm interested to see how they split. Someone has to succeed there. Their line should be improved.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed May 18, 2016 11:21 am

It's as simple as situation. Had Henry been the RB that was drafted by Dallas, he would be the "runaway" #1 pick from this class. I've seen Henry selected at 1.02 in multiple rookie drafts. I also don't see Murray as a significant threat. He was great in 2014 but he couldn't get out of his own way last season and that was more than just on the field.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Yomgui
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Yomgui » Wed May 18, 2016 11:33 am

Not a fan although I hope to be pleasantly surprised but Henry fell to 1.11 in my dynasty league... so I drafted him because I thought it was very good value at this point.

We have never seen a RB like Henry coming out of college before so it is unnerving for many.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed May 18, 2016 11:42 am

He's a guy that you have to believe Big + Fast will translate in a big way to the NFL because his tape isn't overly impressive. Some people are bias against taller RB's. And like has been mentioned he doesn't appear as if he'll be catching many passes, at least not right away.

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Wed May 18, 2016 12:59 pm

I get the ppr side of it, but come on, there are only a handful of RB's that carry the ball and get most of the receptions. So I don't really buy that argument

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby HawkeyeState » Wed May 18, 2016 1:04 pm

he sucks
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Wed May 18, 2016 1:13 pm

HawkeyeState wrote:he sucks
Why do you think he sucks?

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed May 18, 2016 1:33 pm

I would say he is ranked pretty fairly.

2 spots below Jeremy Hill on DLFs RB rankings.

balaberda
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby balaberda » Wed May 18, 2016 1:43 pm

The team will still struggle. Owning an RB on a bad team isn't ideal. The QB will run and vulch the odd TD or take some carries away. Murray...

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed May 18, 2016 1:50 pm

Doesn't elude tackles, stone hands, rarely created for himself at the line of scrimmage at Bama.

I try to avoid RBs these days that don't profile as having much pass-catching ability. Henry can pass-protect just fine, but if he's not useful as a receiver he'll always be limited in today's NFL.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Wed May 18, 2016 2:04 pm

People are low on him for a variety of reasons. Though it may not have been the greatest Alabama line of recent years, Henry often ran through huge holes and was downhill at full speed before any threat of contact. He presents a large target and long legs to take a beating from NFL LBs (does not get behind pads well or run through defenders). Biggest knock and why I passed on him is how poor he is going laterally with those long legs. In the NFL he won't be able to just hit the hole at 100 mph and out run people at the second level. I see a back that will get consistently stuck at the line of scrimmage and who will be unable to stick the type of cuts he will need to allow his strengths to be successful. If you can't get the wheels spinning, the race is already lost. Check out this video with his footwork which pretty much was hammering home the knocks everyone had on him:
http://247sports.com/Bolt/Watch-Derrick ... l-45357651

Don't think it's hate if you have rationale behind it. Well it can be, I hate Legarrette Blount far worse than he deserves.... but in this case I think Dynasty owners are showing similar concerns that NFL franchises showed and I don't believe that's necessarily hate. We could be wrong, but we are willing to spend our capital elsewhere and let someone else get him, boom or bust.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant