Derrick Henry Thread - Is he still King Henry post injury?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Derrick Henry? What gives??

Postby jcc6fd » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:49 am

I think if you have the right view of Henry you can find value. He played well in the playoffs in 2017 and at the end of the season last year. He's huge and gets better when the weather gets colder and the season wears one. When injuries start adding up and even players in the game are beat up from 10-14 games stopping a player like Henry gets harder. So he gets hyped in the offseason because he ends strong, but then the beginning of the year rolls around, it's warmer and defenses are healthier, and the guy is mediocre because he can't create anything and lacks explosion (i.e. needs to build up that head of steam).

So I guess wait to acquire him mid season if you're a strong contender and enjoy him for your fantasy playoffs. Then move him in the offseason to someone who is enamored with the 3 TD, 150 yard game.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:04 am

Another couple weeks like this and it might be time for doubters to apologize to Derrick Henry. We shall see but it has been a good start to the season for Henry (currently an RB1).
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:11 am

Yeah? What gives?

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:48 pm

WHAT'S UP WIT DAT!????
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:50 pm

He's good. BTW, Mariota missed at least 1 obvious check down that would have made him even better in PPR this week. However, he's going to be a 280-300 plus carry a guy with 1100 plus yard and 10 plus TD's barring injury. He also may have close to 25 receptions, and another couple hundred yards and and a few TD's on that.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:47 am

I dont really understand the haters. Guy was a beast in college had crazy measurables always showed good vision and above average ball catching
Def - ARI DAL
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:19 am

MrUbuto wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:47 am I dont really understand the haters. Guy was a beast in college had crazy measurables always showed good vision and above average ball catching
If you're not juking people like Barry Sanders this forum hates you.

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:27 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:50 pm He's good. BTW, Mariota missed at least 1 obvious check down that would have made him even better in PPR this week. However, he's going to be a 280-300 plus carry a guy with 1100 plus yard and 10 plus TD's barring injury. He also may have close to 25 receptions, and another couple hundred yards and and a few TD's on that.
This, right here.

Volume. Volume cures all. If you couldn't see volume coming this year, compared to last, you weren't paying attention; probably brushed the whole situation off.

The NFL is changing -- faster, pass-happy ... But Tennessee is not. Henry's one of the few remaining old school backs on an old school team. They wanna control the LOS and the clock, and play defense.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:09 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:19 am
MrUbuto wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:47 am I dont really understand the haters. Guy was a beast in college had crazy measurables always showed good vision and above average ball catching
So sad but so true. If a guy gets 100 yards and a Td but those 100 yards come on 8-10 yard gains you still suck but if you get 100 yards and a Td from 2 big plays you are the GOAT :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:13 am

A lot of the Henry doubt also came from todays fantasy need for immediate gratification, especially with RBs. RBs are expected to come out the gates on fire now or they are considered trash. The fact is every player learns differently, it may take a little while, even for an RB. We need patience. I was down on henry and thought he sucked too, looks like i was wrong.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:05 am

Weknownothing86 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:09 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:19 am
So sad but so true. If a guy gets 100 yards and a Td but those 100 yards come on 8-10 yard gains you still suck but if you get 100 yards and a Td from 2 big plays you are the GOAT :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Why not both?

Henery seems to be delighting owners both ways
Def - ARI DAL
7th pick in 2021

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:49 am

Welp, some 'backs break out later than you like, like ~2-3 years later. Ingram did. Now Henry. Roll Tide?
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:30 am

Weknownothing86 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:13 am A lot of the Henry doubt also came from todays fantasy need for immediate gratification, especially with RBs. RBs are expected to come out the gates on fire now or they are considered trash. The fact is every player learns differently, it may take a little while, even for an RB. We need patience. I was down on henry and thought he sucked too, looks like i was wrong.
But that's not really true. He was given the reigns in his third year and did poorly until the end of the season. It's not like he was a rookie who struggled in his first few games. He had (at that point) two full years to develop before being the bellcow. The concern was warranted in my opinion.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:23 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:30 am
Weknownothing86 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:13 am A lot of the Henry doubt also came from todays fantasy need for immediate gratification, especially with RBs. RBs are expected to come out the gates on fire now or they are considered trash. The fact is every player learns differently, it may take a little while, even for an RB. We need patience. I was down on henry and thought he sucked too, looks like i was wrong.
But that's not really true. He was given the reigns in his third year and did poorly until the end of the season. It's not like he was a rookie who struggled in his first few games. He had (at that point) two full years to develop before being the bellcow. The concern was warranted in my opinion.
Well ya they were warranted i doubted him too, so this was also a lesson for me to try not to listen to the groupthink on these guys. We just need to be extremely patient some times, even if it means holding onto a guy for 3 years. I think its usually pretty safe to cut any guy after year 3.

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:51 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:30 am
He wasn't given the reigns. He was given 1 of the 2, while forced into a scheme that didn't fit his abilities. The Titans this offseason said they were committing to Henry, and alluded to running less outside zone.