Preston Williams Hype Train

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Re: Preston Williams Hype Train

Postby MEuRaH » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:39 pm

In a salary cap league I offered N'Keal Harry (10%) for Preston Williams (<1%). Instant reject.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:52 pm

You have Harry taking up 10% of you salary?
Oooh.

Bold attempt on the trade though.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:06 pm

Phaded wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:52 pm You have Harry taking up 10% of you salary?
Oooh.

It's actually 8%. I estimated. The rookie picks are expensive near the top.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:37 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:06 pm
Phaded wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:52 pm You have Harry taking up 10% of you salary?
Oooh.

This sounds like a terrible setup....
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

JSmalls3
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby JSmalls3 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:08 pm

What happens if preston is as good as everyone is hoping he is and Miami gets a new QB with a top 3 pick next year? Guy can really turn out to be something.
12 team 1ppr 1qb|2rb|3wr|1te|1flex|1dl|1lb|1db
QB - MURRAY, Tannehill, Allen
RB - MIXON, HYDE, Scarbrough, Scott
WR - HOPKINS, HILL, ADAMS, COREY D, Crowder, Allison, Ross, P Williams
TE - HOOPER, Herndon, Andrews, FANT
2020 - 1,1,1,2,2

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:29 am

kmbryant09 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:37 pm
Oooh.

That's how the nfl is set up.

That's the whole point of a salary cap league.

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:12 pm

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:29 am

You think the Patriots are trading Harry straight up for Williams at this point? No shot

No reason why an UDFA would be so much cheaper than a 1st round pick that all it takes is 1 pre-season game for the UDFA to be worth more than a top3 pick because of their respective salaries...
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:52 pm

JSmalls3 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:08 pm What happens if preston is as good as everyone is hoping he is and Miami gets a new QB with a top 3 pick next year? Guy can really turn out to be something.
This is a big part of my issue with Preston Williams and the hype that has been built. It is centered around too many "what ifs" for his price point now. He is currently going in 2nd rounds of rookie drafts and owners that got in before the hype aren't selling for anything less than a 2nd. That's crazy to me for an UDFA after 2 preseason games. He just doesn't seem like a buy anymore to me.

Take away the names and just look at the facts. How many people would actually pay a 2nd round price for an UDFA rookie halfway through preseason on a terrible offense that will probably be drafting a QB next year? How many have done something like that before and it actually worked out? Sure he could be a fantasy darling as we have some UDFA rookies pop every year, but we aren't paying 2nds for them before the season and plenty more of those guys fail than success.

TimeWillTell
Captain
Captain

Postby TimeWillTell » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:45 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:52 pm
JSmalls3 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:08 pm What happens if preston is as good as everyone is hoping he is and Miami gets a new QB with a top 3 pick next year? Guy can really turn out to be something.
This is a big part of my issue with Preston Williams and the hype that has been built. It is centered around too many "what ifs" for his price point now. He is currently going in 2nd rounds of rookie drafts and owners that got in before the hype aren't selling for anything less than a 2nd. That's crazy to me for an UDFA after 2 preseason games. He just doesn't seem like a buy anymore to me.

Take away the names and just look at the facts. How many people would actually pay a 2nd round price for an UDFA rookie halfway through preseason on a terrible offense that will probably be drafting a QB next year? How many have done something like that before and it actually worked out? Sure he could be a fantasy darling as we have some UDFA rookies pop every year, but we aren't paying 2nds for them before the season and plenty more of those guys fail than success.
I think the difference is that he's a UDFA that had the talent of a day 2 WR with some character concerns on a wide open depth chart. Not saying you're wrong, just trying to explain some of the hype/thinking on things.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:28 pm

TimeWillTell wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:45 pm
jenkins.math wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:52 pm

I think the difference is that he's a UDFA that had the talent of a day 2 WR with some character concerns on a wide open depth chart. Not saying you're wrong, just trying to explain some of the hype/thinking on things.
But talent wins out over character concerns every single time in the NFL. So I've come to 1 of 2 conclusions when it comes to the Preston Williams situation.

1) The truth about him being a day 1 or 2 day talent are legit, but apparently his character concerns are even worse for not even one single team to spend a draft pick on him. Which if the talent is that good but teams won't even throw a 6th or 7th at him due to character concerns then I am absolutely terrified of what those concerns may be and am just waiting for them to pop up.

Or

2) The rumors of him being super high on draft boards are overblown and he is really viewed as a day 3 talent. Combined with character concerns it just wasn't worth using a draft pick when the talent wasn't special.

When other players with domestic violence concerns (Tyreek Hill, Joe Mixon, Jeff Simmons), drug concerns (Randy Gregory), bad influences hanging around concerns (Reuben Foster) all get drafted due to immense talent and potential in recent years, but this guy doesn't?!? That in itself is a massive red flag to me.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:05 pm

kmbryant09 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:12 pm

You think the Patriots are trading Harry straight up for Williams at this point? No shot

No reason why an UDFA would be so much cheaper than a 1st round pick that all it takes is 1 pre-season game for the UDFA to be worth more than a top3 pick because of their respective salaries...
Huh? He was just saying that's how the salary cap is set up in the NFL.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:14 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:52 pm This is a big part of my issue with Preston Williams and the hype that has been built. It is centered around too many "what ifs" for his price point now. He is currently going in 2nd rounds of rookie drafts and owners that got in before the hype aren't selling for anything less than a 2nd. That's crazy to me for an UDFA after 2 preseason games. He just doesn't seem like a buy anymore to me.
Every rookie 2nd rounder is centered around "what ifs". You don't think Alexander Mattison or Hakeem Butler or Diontae Johnson or Mecole Hardman, etc have value based on a bunch of "what ifs"?
jenkins.math wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:28 pm But talent wins out over character concerns every single time in the NFL. So I've come to 1 of 2 conclusions when it comes to the Preston Williams situation.

1) The truth about him being a day 1 or 2 day talent are legit, but apparently his character concerns are even worse for not even one single team to spend a draft pick on him. Which if the talent is that good but teams won't even throw a 6th or 7th at him due to character concerns then I am absolutely terrified of what those concerns may be and am just waiting for them to pop up.

Or

2) The rumors of him being super high on draft boards are overblown and he is really viewed as a day 3 talent. Combined with character concerns it just wasn't worth using a draft pick when the talent wasn't special.

When other players with domestic violence concerns (Tyreek Hill, Joe Mixon, Jeff Simmons), drug concerns (Randy Gregory), bad influences hanging around concerns (Reuben Foster) all get drafted due to immense talent and potential in recent years, but this guy doesn't?!? That in itself is a massive red flag to me.
Crowell was an alleged day 1 talent that went undrafted due to off the field issues that were similarly cloudy to Williams'. While he has since petered out he did have a pretty nice run of value for a while there.

Tyreek may very well be the most talented WR in the entire NFL and he fell all the way to the 5th round.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:18 pm

Vcize wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:05 pm

I’m here! I’m here! It may have been mentioned but wasn’t Preston a five star recruit?

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:04 pm

Yeah, it's not that hard a correlation to understand.

The patriots paid a hell of a lot more for Harry than the dolphins did for Williams. In a salary cap league you pay a hell of a lot more for an early 1st round pick than some player you pick in the 5th or 6rh round of the draft.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:14 pm

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:04 pm

Yeah, it's not that hard a correlation to understand.

The patriots paid a hell of a lot more for Harry than the dolphins did for Williams. In a salary cap league you pay a hell of a lot more for an early 1st round pick than some player you pick in the 5th or 6rh round of the draft.
True, but is an 8th of the team's cap space devoted to an NFL first rounder, like it was in this case? The NFL used to have a structure 2here 1st round rookies were paid alot, but it created cap and locker room problems so it was fixed in the current CBA.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def