Any Philip Lindsay Believers Out There?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Any Philip Lindsay Believers Out There?

Postby jcc6fd » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:51 pm

Most of the Lindsay "hate" has to do with the Broncos (and fantasy owners) having a full offseason to pump up Freeman to make it look like they didn't make a mistake. Freeman will get more looks early but unless he truly has vastly improved Lindsay will continue to outplay him.

I can't speak to the scheme change, and it could certainly help Freeman play to his strengths if the scheme was hampering his ability. I just don't buy it as the reason he was outplayed by Lindsay because Freeman entered the season as the starter and would have had the offense tailored to his perceived skills.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:40 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:51 pm Most of the Lindsay "hate" has to do with the Broncos (and fantasy owners) having a full offseason to pump up Freeman to make it look like they didn't make a mistake. Freeman will get more looks early but unless he truly has vastly improved Lindsay will continue to outplay him.

I can't speak to the scheme change, and it could certainly help Freeman play to his strengths if the scheme was hampering his ability. I just don't buy it as the reason he was outplayed by Lindsay because Freeman entered the season as the starter and would have had the offense tailored to his perceived skills.
I’m not sure why people are pushing this idea that the Broncos are only giving Freeman a shot because of pride. Its the same regime that drafted Booker, and while they’ve continued to give Booker some run it’s been pretty clear since Freeman showed up that Booker was pretty much done as the lead back.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:05 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:51 pm Most of the Lindsay "hate" has to do with the Broncos (and fantasy owners) having a full offseason to pump up Freeman to make it look like they didn't make a mistake. Freeman will get more looks early but unless he truly has vastly improved Lindsay will continue to outplay him.

Freeman was also hurt last year, FYI, so we did not see him at his best. I traded for him this off season, because I think he's going to get the most carries and goal line work. Cecil Lammey has been raving about him all off season, and the scheme definitely plays to his strengths.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:10 pm

I guess that depends on what you mean by Believer.

I believe that Lindsay has shown enough that he will stick around, sort of like Chris Carson, for at least the next several years. What his role will be will depend on plenty of factors - and this year while I think he has RB2 upside, I have not attempted to purchase any shares for any of my contending teams. Partially due to cost, and partially due to lack of need (ie if my team is a contender imo it already has at least 2-3 RBs worthy of RB1-2 consideration). I would likely buy if the price was right and a win/win deal was feasible to both myself and my trade partner.

Regardless, while I think Freeman will at the very least challenge Lindsay in Denver for top role, I hope to see Lindsay play & thrive for a long time.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Postby Nanananananana » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:20 pm

I believe in Lindsey, reminds me of when I was buying Tyreek Hill after his first year and many on here were saying that was a bad idea. Maybe the eye test is not foolproof but some guys just pop off the screen.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:24 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:09 am Depends on the scheme.

Lindsay is a power runner. Freeman is a zone runner. I have no idea what the Broncos are going to do this year.

His frame is small and he did get hurt last year. IMO he's best suited as a back that can spell the starter in a power system and be the occasional lead man if need be. Cowboys, Bears, etc.

Ride the wave while you can. I think his value will diminish once his rookie contract is over, maybe even decreasing over time from now until then.
Small-framed power-runner doesn't sound like a great long-term combo.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:09 pm

I’m of the mindset that last year was the high water mark for Lindsay. I don’t think there’s any way he can consistently stay healthy on the amount of play he got last year. And I think the Broncos know it too. He will still be a factor, but in more of a COP/3rd down role. Or the clear B to Freeman’s 1A.
I also am high on Freeman, and think he’s better than most realize, and just had an injury hampered rookie year that held him back from taking over. So maybe I’m a tad biased in that direction.

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:27 am

This 100%.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:38 am

I went from owning and wanting to sell to selling and now wanting to own. Very confusing.

Lindsay's value seems to have gone down, which intrigues me.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:44 am

kmbryant09 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:27 am

This 100%.
Couldn't disagree more. First off, from what I can tell, most of the Lindsay "hate" is due to his weight, and draft status. The fact the coaching staff changed meant he has to prove himself all over again in a scheme that does not fit his skill set nearly as well. That's what I've been reading for months around here.

To the bolded. The Denver offense did not tailor their system to Freeman. Nobody tailors an offense to a 3rd round RB pick. The scheme they ran last year was actually tailored more to what Lindsay was used to running, whereas this year it is tailored more to what Freeman is good at.

PS. The Broncos wouldn't need to pump up Freeman to make it look like they didn't make a mistake, because they got Lindsay as a UDFA, so that's a win, regardless. No draft capital spent. Regardless, they got a starting RB by only using a 3rd round pick. A RB that is now healthy (Freeman played hurt a good portion of last year) in a scheme that fits him should mean he vastly improves, and that's why the Broncos (and beat reporters) are saying he looks way better, not because they feel the need to lie about how good he is to justify the draft pick. It's not like he was a first round pick.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:48 am

Lindsay's draft pedigree shouldn't matter anymore. Once you prove you can or can't play, you have to readjust opinions. He's definitely not someone I expect to be a three down back, but his speed and receiving ability give him a pretty solid floor. I don't trust Freeman, Booker or Riddick to be more reliable.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:25 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:44 am
kmbryant09 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:27 am

This 100%.
Couldn't disagree more. First off, from what I can tell, most of the Lindsay "hate" is due to his weight, and draft status. The fact the coaching staff changed meant he has to prove himself all over again in a scheme that does not fit his skill set nearly as well. That's what I've been reading for months around here.

To the bolded. The Denver offense did not tailor their system to Freeman. Nobody tailors an offense to a 3rd round RB pick. The scheme they ran last year was actually tailored more to what Lindsay was used to running, whereas this year it is tailored more to what Freeman is good at.

PS. The Broncos wouldn't need to pump up Freeman to make it look like they didn't make a mistake, because they got Lindsay as a UDFA, so that's a win, regardless. No draft capital spent. Regardless, they got a starting RB by only using a 3rd round pick. A RB that is now healthy (Freeman played hurt a good portion of last year) in a scheme that fits him should mean he vastly improves, and that's why the Broncos (and beat reporters) are saying he looks way better, not because they feel the need to lie about how good he is to justify the draft pick. It's not like he was a first round pick.
To clarify, I've seen more Freeman puff from the fantasy community than from Denver. Also, yes people do dislike Lindsay's lower weight. I was more getting at the narrative surrounding Freeman taking over appears to be driven by a desire to see an investment payoff. Same thing is happening with rojo right now. Denver has basically communicated that they plan to implement the same timeshare that was present when Freeman was healthy. I'd expect that to happen to start the year. If the performance matches what we've seen his workload will be reduced.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:53 pm

Attn: Freeman lovers. Royce Freeman is not an overly talented RB. He does not have the talent to demand touches and keep a pro bowl RB on the bench. Lindsay, on the otherhand, doesn't have the build that will demand or warrant high touches.

Expect a fairly even time share between the two. I'd take whomever catches more passes, in a PPR, as I expect the TDs to be similar.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:39 pm

remedy29 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:53 pm Attn: Freeman lovers. Royce Freeman is not an overly talented RB. He does not have the talent to demand touches and keep a pro bowl RB on the bench. Lindsay, on the otherhand, doesn't have the build that will demand or warrant high touches.

Expect a fairly even time share between the two. I'd take whomever catches more passes, in a PPR, as I expect the TDs to be similar.
How do you know he's not a good talent?

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:19 pm

Trying to put in Lindsay in a box as a zone or power runner is a great way to get egg on your face.

This kid is a football player with the heart of a lion.

His vision and burst looked way above average last season. Freeman has plenty of upside in his own right but making excuses about a high ankle sprain is pretty weak. Vision and Burst is a key component to excelling in any scheme. Most teams today are not one dimensional in line schemes.

He was outplayed badly by Lindsay from the jump and frankly will have to massively up his game to beat out the pro bowler that is Lindsay.

The pundits missed on him last year; that is obvious.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts