You Can Trade Away RoJo Now... Last Chance?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Re: You Can Trade Away RoJo Now... Last Chance?

Postby MEuRaH » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:32 pm

Nimrod wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:09 pmDid Ronald Jones steal your car? Say something to your wife that pissed you off? Try and sell drugs to your teenager?

I just don’t get the steadfast and consistent barrage of negative criticism for this player, or any player for that matter. The kid is 22. He has hype, a good draft Pedigree. Some chalk last season up to his talent and some to coaching.

Many love his upside and many are doubters. Why don’t we just let time tell it’s course instead of systematically devaluing him before he even has a legitimate chance to develop. This kind of perpetual negative criticism of young players by industry guys is what turns something that is supposed to be fun into a pseudo-political partisan “I’m drawing a moral line in the sand” endeavor. And it’s one that I don’t find tasteful and won’t be apart of.
I think you might be missing the point and even taking it a bit too far.

The difference between good owners and elite owners is the ability to recognize talent and lack there-of. Some people were stuck with Ronald Jones and others traded for him via the news that he'll work extra hard this off season.

I let it sit and waited. The preseason chatter was quiet if not pandering. Then week one comes along and it's more of the same. Not everybody can see it so I tried to point it out. There are still some people high on this kid so I'm trying to convince current owners to sell now to those people before week two comes around and he looks even worse. If that happens, his value will sink to perhaps droppable levels.

I am not hating on the kid simply to hate. I am working the fantasy angle only. This has nothing to do with my emotional feelings for the kid.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:38 pm

Camperhead wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:04 pmI see a six-yard gain on second-and-3 that might've been a touchdown if Godwin makes a better block....

Edited to add: on further review, I think he could have picked up an additional two or three yards if he cuts inside of Godwin's block. But with the safety coming up to fill that hole, no trouble understanding why he opted to bounce it outside. It's just that outside is not the path that Godwin's block ultimately created.
This is the whole point. You're kind of reiterating what I said.

I coached the position for 5 years. What Godwin is doing is textbook perfect. The run is supposed to go between the WR & TE if all things go as planned, and RoJo is supposed to meet the safety head on. It's his job to win the battle either with strength or skill. Instead he AVOIDS contact and chooses to try to outrun him. He's not supposed to run outside, that's why Godwin has his back turned to him. Not only did he make a poor decision, he also took a bad angle. He deviated from a plan that coaches spent weeks if not months pounding into his head.

It's not good. It's the same stuff I saw from him last year. There's literally no development from last year to now.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:11 pm

@DLF_mikeh: Speaking for myself assuredly and, I am willing to presume, for the vast but proverbial silent majority, thank you for all the time and thought that you put into this post and for your willingness to share your insights with us.

Agree or disagree, it's these kinds of posts that elevate this forum and our discussions. Having more information and having multiple perspectives (especially well thought-out ones!) is never a bad thing -- it only helps me and everyone else make better decisions.

Again, I appreciate your constant willingness to share, to discuss, and to debate.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:24 pm

moishetreats wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:11 pm @DLF_mikeh: Speaking for myself assuredly and, I am willing to presume, for the vast but proverbial silent majority, thank you for all the time and thought that you put into this post and for your willingness to share your insights with us...
A big +1 to this...
McCloskey22 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:23 pm Hard to fathom the amount of free time one must have on their hands to compile this evidence against someone like Ronald Jones
... because when it just gets down to comments like this, then I'm not really sure what we're doing here. He literally just broke down a play for you, from his position of expertise from literal years of coaching the position.

If anything, I'd say the weirder move here is hassling someone about how they spend their time... and posting *that* in a Ronald Jones thread. :lol:

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:38 pm

moishetreats wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:11 pm @DLF_mikeh: Speaking for myself assuredly and, I am willing to presume, for the vast but proverbial silent majority, thank you for all the time and thought that you put into this post and for your willingness to share your insights with us.

Agree or disagree, it's these kinds of posts that elevate this forum and our discussions. Having more information and having multiple perspectives (especially well thought-out ones!) is never a bad thing -- it only helps me and everyone else make better decisions.

Again, I appreciate your constant willingness to share, to discuss, and to debate.
Amen to that!
Thanks Mike, for taking the time to show us what you have observed.

Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Postby Pet_Smith » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:24 am

moishetreats wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:11 pm @DLF_mikeh: Speaking for myself assuredly and, I am willing to presume, for the vast but proverbial silent majority, thank you for all the time and thought that you put into this post and for your willingness to share your insights with us.

Completely agree - really appreciate the time, effort and willingness to share. Thanks Mike!
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

MarcoPolo25
Role Player
Role Player

Postby MarcoPolo25 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:55 am

Any hope for Bruce Anderson? Did he even play week 1?
12 team league
25 man roster
8 RB & 9 WR Restrictions
1QB 2RB 2WR 1RB/WR/TE flex 1TE 1K 1 DST
1pt PPR
Qb: Jackson, M. Jones, Huntley
RB: Cook, Chubb, Carson, Gaskin, R. Stephenson, Elijah Mitchell, Jeff Wilson Jr
WR: D. Adams, K. Allen, Juju, M. Williams, OBJ, Tylan Wallace, Darden, Deonte Harris
TE: Kelce, Engram, H. Bryant, Moreau, Gray
DST: Dal
K: Butker
Taxi:
IR:

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:03 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:04 am Yup, it's threads like this that make me want to come back.

Appreciate the insights you gave above.
x100

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:23 am

That's a lot of nice stuff. Thanks guys. I appreciate all kinds of feedback, including (especially?) ones that challenge my position or ones that make me approach a different angle of a scenario I wasn't yet considering.

Hecklers and nay-sayers are going to happen. I'm a teacher by trade so this stuff slides off the skin, but it's nice to once in a while to read some support. Seriously, thanks again.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs

REAL RB GURUs:

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:05 am

MarcoPolo25 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:55 am Any hope for Bruce Anderson? Did he even play week 1?
Meh.
I mean, you could do worse as a flier but not much.

No matter who takes the job this year, it is hard to see them produce much behind this line and they will likely be replaced next year.

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:12 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:23 am That's a lot of nice stuff. Thanks guys. I appreciate all kinds of feedback, including (especially?) ones that challenge my position or ones that make me approach a different angle of a scenario I wasn't yet considering.

Hecklers and nay-sayers are going to happen. I'm a teacher by trade so this stuff slides off the skin, but it's nice to once in a while to read some support. Seriously, thanks again.
Keep up the good work buddy :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

TimeWillTell
Captain
Captain

Postby TimeWillTell » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:13 pm

Ogunbowale playing in the 1st. I know Mike was of the opinion if he played in the 2nd that was a good sign for him. Should we be buying?
2020, 2021, 2022 Champion!
12 Team 1QB 0.5 PPR 30 man roster
Start: 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1Def
QB: Mahomes, Brady, Stafford
RB: Barkley, Taylor, Dobbins, Swift, Jacobs
WR: Chase, Jefferson, AJB, Lamb, DJM, Olave, Dotson, Mike Evans
TE: Hock, Dulcich, Chig, Fant, Jonnu, Hurst, Everett
K: Some guy
Def: Who knows
1.01, 1.03

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:59 am

Unfortunately it's more of the same for Ronald Jones yet again. Here he is taking a fake handoff on a play-action play. He's supposed to survey the linebackers and look for blitzers since the offensive line is manned-up. That's his only job on this play, and finding the blitzer is easy, I took the screenshot. Can you see him?
Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 8.40.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 8.40.05 AM.png (189.62 KiB) Viewed 452 times
So his only job is to recognize the blitz and pick it up. That's it. He can even deviate away from the handoff if he needs to. Instead, this is what happens:

There's no way he's gonna take over that starting job. Did I forget to mention that he only carries the ball in his right hand? Not good is you're running to your left, so not only is the ball exposed to the defense, it's harder for you as a runner to turn right and go upfield.

In this next play, he's supposed to look for a hole and turn upfield being an outside zone. The problem is that you're supposed to look for the furthest hole out and then work your way in. So what he should be doing is running like hell to the sideline unless there's an obvious gaping hole. In the picture below he's looking at the closest defender downfield, and holding the ball in his right hand next to danger.
Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 8.50.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 8.50.07 AM.png (94.17 KiB) Viewed 452 times
Pretty obvious right? You have elite speed, and the play calls for you to run to the sideline anyway, so DO THAT. Don't just assume a hole is there, and since you are making eye contact with the defender anyway, you know the hole isn't there so JUST GO!

No... Ronald Jones doesn't do what he's supposed to do...

Some people in this thread said they still value him at a 2nd. There are still people in your league willing to pay up, so find them and make a deal. Or, if you're one of those guys reading this, then lol. How many more bad examples of RoJo's talent I gotta post?

===============================================================================
Ogunbowale playing in the 1st. I know Mike was of the opinion if he played in the 2nd that was a good sign for him. Should we be buying?
RoJo looks terrible and Ellington fumbled his second game in a row. I think there are better players out there to buy but Ogunbowale will definitely get a chance to do something if everyone else is this terrible.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs

REAL RB GURUs:

TimeWillTell
Captain
Captain

Postby TimeWillTell » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:19 am

I grabbed Ogunbowale for free. So I'm fine sitting and waiting for a bit. If he flashes and I can move him for a 2nd last one I'll be thrilled. If not, drop him and try someone else. Holding Weber, Crockett and Hilliard for same reason.
2020, 2021, 2022 Champion!
12 Team 1QB 0.5 PPR 30 man roster
Start: 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1Def
QB: Mahomes, Brady, Stafford
RB: Barkley, Taylor, Dobbins, Swift, Jacobs
WR: Chase, Jefferson, AJB, Lamb, DJM, Olave, Dotson, Mike Evans
TE: Hock, Dulcich, Chig, Fant, Jonnu, Hurst, Everett
K: Some guy
Def: Who knows
1.01, 1.03