RBBC in Kansas City

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
usps33
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: RBBC in Kansas City

Postby usps33 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:20 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:32 pm
usps33 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:26 pm Google “Darron Lee obliterates Darwin Thompson”, there is a short video clip, less than 10 seconds, where Thompson gets destroyed by Lee in a team drill. Maybe just a fluke play but still surprised to see that happen to the mighty Darwin Thompson.
That's already been talked about (page 6).

Here he is attempting the same thing in a preseason game: https://twitter.com/ClayWendler/status/ ... 98177?s=19
Thanks, I didn’t notice it mentioned before but I went back and found it. I don’t think Thompson is attempting the same thing though, in the team drill he tried to take the linebacker on straight up, man on man and got destroyed, in the preseason game he dove at the defense player’s ankles, but I guess in the team drills it would be frowned upon to attempt that type of block. He reminds me of a Darren Sproles type of player. He looks way smaller than MJD to me, even though they are listed pretty close in height/weight. I remember MJD blowing up linebackers, with all the reports of how strong Darwin Thompson is, I was expecting something similar to MJD instead of being similar Darren Sproles.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:06 am

I believe it's more of a learning thing, at his size he should never try to block someone that much bigger than him straight on like the first clip. I would say the block from the Cinci game is more a nod to him learning. But I literally just picked him up yesterday so I'm rooting for him.

usps33
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby usps33 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:31 am

AussieMate wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:06 am I believe it's more of a learning thing, at his size he should never try to block someone that much bigger than him straight on like the first clip. I would say the block from the Cinci game is more a nod to him learning. But I literally just picked him up yesterday so I'm rooting for him.
Your right, the chop block that he did really is his only option other than getting run over on that play. When I think of MJD, I think of his famous block where he laid Shawn Merriman out, but I’m sure he utilized the chop block at times too.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:04 am

For what it's worth, while I think FDDs style is a bit abrasive, it's far from banable territory, IMHO. Even in this thread, which I've reread from the OP, he simply took a firm position and others came in and made ad hominem quips about him and referred to trolling. He only got heated when DLF Mike kept noting that DW has been injured fairly frequently. I'm actually not sure I buy that point eithert. Don't think it was a healthy issue, but rather a talent evaluation (something MIA is terrible at) and ability (Williams just isn't that good) issue.

I also think that Williams landed in the perfect situation at the right time and is likely gonna put up a RB1 season. And if he does, he's probably gonna keep delivering for his owners and the Chief's in 2020, while he will still be incredibly cheap re the Chiefs salary cap.

I don't think I'd buy him for a late 1st, as I'm cheap when it comes to veterans. But I sure wish I d have some cheap shares.

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:41 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:58 pm Reading all of these "wait for Williams to get injured" takes is weird. Williams has a light injury history and at 5'11, 225 has good size for the position. His chances of injury are about the same as any RB.

Are there no concerns about a 5'8, sub 200 RB getting injured with a full workload? If there's an injury, I expect Hyde/Thompson to split 50/50. I just really don't see a scenario where Thompson is carrying a full workload. He's not that type of player. He's smaller and less talented than a player like Duke Johnson, who's been a COP back his entire career.
I'm just working on the universal truth that every year there is a running back to go off in the last two months who goes on to be drafted in the first three rounds who goes on to bust. It is a truth as proven as the sun rising in the east at this point. A law of nature like evolution. Every single year, the waiver darlings get drafted high, die and are replaced by another. Collins. Forsett. CJA. Hill. I could go on and on.

Of course I'm being a bit facetious here. But I mean... It happens every year.

And Darwin won't win the job on performance, cuz lets face it, Damien actually looked good, and is an A+ in the receiving game.

So, way I figure, only way Darwin gets the job is from injury. And Damien smells exactly like every other one of those backs to be smitten by natural selection.

Thompson is the same size as Brian Westbrook. I think he can handle the 18-touch workload of Reid's lead dog for half a season.

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:54 am

Westbrook was about 205. Darwin is 190 and it sounds like he likes being at that weight. Says he feels faster. That’s nice but that is smaaaaall.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:46 am

For the Damien Williams injuries, player profiler tracks historical injury listings. Williams lists as follows:

Foot Sprain 2014 Preseason
Ankle Contusion 2014 Week 3
Thumb Sprain 2015 Week 8 (two weeks)
Ankle Sprain 2015 Week 10
Back Contusion 2015 Week 14
Thumb Sprain 2016 Week 8 (two weeks)
Ankle Sprain 2016 Week 10
Back Contusion 2016 Week 14
Shoulder Strain 2017 Week 12

Then obviously the hammy this preseason. He only missed the five games and I suspect the volume of small injuries doesn’t differ that much from your average NFL back.

usps33 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:20 am
dlf_mikeh wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:32 pm
usps33 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:26 pm Google “Darron Lee obliterates Darwin Thompson”, there is a short video clip, less than 10 seconds, where Thompson gets destroyed by Lee in a team drill. Maybe just a fluke play but still surprised to see that happen to the mighty Darwin Thompson.
That's already been talked about (page 6).

Here he is attempting the same thing in a preseason game: https://twitter.com/ClayWendler/status/ ... 98177?s=19
Thanks, I didn’t notice it mentioned before but I went back and found it. I don’t think Thompson is attempting the same thing though, in the team drill he tried to take the linebacker on straight up, man on man and got destroyed, in the preseason game he dove at the defense player’s ankles, but I guess in the team drills it would be frowned upon to attempt that type of block. He reminds me of a Darren Sproles type of player. He looks way smaller than MJD to me, even though they are listed pretty close in height/weight. I remember MJD blowing up linebackers, with all the reports of how strong Darwin Thompson is, I was expecting something similar to MJD instead of being similar Darren Sproles.
MJD had like 10 lbs on Darwin in their combine weights and apparently Darwin is down 10 lbs from that.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:59 am

sugbear65 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:47 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:24 pm
Lord_Varys wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:20 pm

In Shanahan's system, that's low rec totals for the starting RB. He's not a good route runner, he drops passes, and he's not explosive. Hyde is a strong downhill banger but that's it at that point. End of day it's just my evaluation, but I believe Darwin is working his way up and would get a chance at the bulk of targets if Damien goes down.
Correct. Hyde basically feasted on check downs. He wasn't doing much in terms of running good routes or anything. I don't expect any passing involvement for him in KC. They have two better receiving backs. Hyde's value should be short yardage work.
Well you guys will have to, because I’m not telling him -

“For a running back like me who likes to catch the ball . . . it would be like a dream come true,” Hyde said per ESPN’s Adam Teicher. “It’s not just a one-dimensional running back here. You do it all. You line up at receiver. You actually run routes. You’re not just a decoy. . .You really get to showcase your ability. I didn’t know they used the running back so much in the passing game until I got here. It put a smile on my face.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ca ... ar-AACVv6C
I had seen that. I shrug. Jordan Howard and Derrick Henry were being split out wide in TC last year. Working on JUGs machines. Running routes. Ready to be turned loose... but at the end of the day, these guys more often than not are what they are. I file this close to 'generic coach speak' in my cabinet. Watching Hyde in SF and looking at his efficiency stats afterwards are enough for me. I doubt he's gotten better at this stage in his career, 3 teams later.

I think it's possible he'd become the starter and catch a couple screens. I just think it's more likely that Darwin would get the chance if he keeps working his way up like he already is.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:42 am

usps33 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:31 amthe chop block that he did
Just an FYI, that wasn't a chop block. A chop block is illegal, and is when a defensive player is already engaged with an offensive player, and a second offensive player goes low.

That was a cut block. Cutting is legal and useful when engaging with a much larger defensive player.

Chop: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chop_bloc ... ootball%29
Cut: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut_blocking
Lord_Varys wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:41 amAnd Darwin won't win the job on performance, cuz lets face it, Damien actually looked good, and is an A+ in the receiving game.
I agree, thought I've made my points why I don't trust him completely, and Darwin pushing for playing time is making me raise my concerns even more. In startups, he's being drafted higher than Boyd, Guice, and Sanders on average. I don't get that at all.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

snaps06
Captain
Captain

Postby snaps06 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:12 am

Lord_Varys wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:41 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:58 pm Reading all of these "wait for Williams to get injured" takes is weird. Williams has a light injury history and at 5'11, 225 has good size for the position. His chances of injury are about the same as any RB.

Are there no concerns about a 5'8, sub 200 RB getting injured with a full workload? If there's an injury, I expect Hyde/Thompson to split 50/50. I just really don't see a scenario where Thompson is carrying a full workload. He's not that type of player. He's smaller and less talented than a player like Duke Johnson, who's been a COP back his entire career.
I'm just working on the universal truth that every year there is a running back to go off in the last two months who goes on to be drafted in the first three rounds who goes on to bust. It is a truth as proven as the sun rising in the east at this point. A law of nature like evolution. Every single year, the waiver darlings get drafted high, die and are replaced by another. Collins. Forsett. CJA. Hill. I could go on and on.

THANK YOU

Add Jay Ajayi onto the list of guys being taken high after one good year (that was more like 3 incredible games in a row).

Here are some guys that weren't being drafted in the first three rounds after their blowups, but ended up definitely being overdrafted at one point: Thomas Rawls. Zac Stacy. Peyton Hillis. Tim Hightower.

I remember Rawls and Stacy being drafted waaaaay too high in leagues.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:47 am

And Darwin won't win the job on performance, cuz lets face it, Damien actually looked good, and is an A+ in the receiving game.

So, way I figure, only way Darwin gets the job is from injury. And Damien smells exactly like every other one of those backs to be smitten by natural selection.

Thompson is the same size as Brian Westbrook. I think he can handle the 18-touch workload of Reid's lead dog for half a season.
I'm with you on this. RB is a carousel of expendability. I don't believe Williams is going to be the long-term guy there. However, I do think there's a reasonable chance he can return RB1 value this season.

I disagree about Westbrook though. He's 5'10, 205. Thompson is 5'8 200 tops. There are a few examples here and there of small backs handling big workloads, but they're usually anomalies. There's nothing about Thompson that strikes me as extraordinary from a typical scat back.

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:07 am

snaps06 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:12 am

THANK YOU

Add Jay Ajayi onto the list of guys being taken high after one good year (that was more like 3 incredible games in a row).

Here are some guys that weren't being drafted in the first three rounds after their blowups, but ended up definitely being overdrafted at one point: Thomas Rawls. Zac Stacy. Peyton Hillis. Tim Hightower.

The only difference is that Damien is actually athletic and is a recieving threat. None of the one hit wonders you listed carry those traits. However I did like ajayi and Stacy coming out, so what do I know. Luckily I never had either on a team so never got burned.

Badkins1121
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Badkins1121 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:10 am

snaps06 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:12 am

THANK YOU

I took CJ Spiller end of the 1st after his one big year 😔

usps33
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby usps33 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:03 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:42 am
usps33 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:31 amthe chop block that he did
Just an FYI, that wasn't a chop block. A chop block is illegal, and is when a defensive player is already engaged with an offensive player, and a second offensive player goes low.

That was a cut block. Cutting is legal and useful when engaging with a much larger defensive player.

Chop: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chop_bloc ... ootball%29
Cut: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut_blocking

Thanks Mike, chop was clearly the wrong term. The more I look at Darwin, the more I like him.

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:04 pm

Our sweet little hyde is on the bubble. Bye bye