Jakobi Meyers the new Edelman?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Re: Jakobi Meyers the new Edelman?

Postby FiremanEd » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:10 am

DynastyDabbler wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:44 am I realize the Patriots have some incredible receivers but it's hard for me to see past the production. I think Jakobi gets a shot eventually. Whether it's week one or next season, with the Patriots or not. I have no problem holding onto him as long as I can. I probably wouldn't go out and buy him right now because you'd likely be overpaying for him. But, I get a good feeling from this guy. I think big things are in store for him.
Elaborate on ‘big things’. I see a WR3 ceiling. To me ‘big things’ implies higher. When I watch the player, I don’t see anything special and he lacks physical traits of an explosive athlete. What differentiates him and would prioritize him above Edelman, White, Harry, and even Gordon? All are better players, despite a little short term success. Draft pedigree won’t pull him through either.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:20 am

FiremanEd wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:10 am
DynastyDabbler wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:44 am I realize the Patriots have some incredible receivers but it's hard for me to see past the production. I think Jakobi gets a shot eventually. Whether it's week one or next season, with the Patriots or not. I have no problem holding onto him as long as I can. I probably wouldn't go out and buy him right now because you'd likely be overpaying for him. But, I get a good feeling from this guy. I think big things are in store for him.
Elaborate on ‘big things’. I see a WR3 ceiling. To me ‘big things’ implies higher. When I watch the player, I don’t see anything special and he lacks physical traits of an explosive athlete. What differentiates him and would prioritize him above Edelman, White, Harry, and even Gordon? All are better players, despite a little short term success. Draft pedigree won’t pull him through either.
Too early to tell on him but it’s obvious he can run routes and find the soft spots in the defense. As a former QB he looks to have a sixth sense to read a QB’s mind.

Draft pedigree means little other than scouts often times get too wrapped up in 40 times.

He looks like he can play the game and used his head while doing it.

Strong hold if you own him.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:09 am

Ice wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:20 amToo early to tell on him but it’s obvious he can run routes and find the soft spots in the defense. As a former QB he looks to have a sixth sense to read a QB’s mind.

Draft pedigree means little other than scouts often times get too wrapped up in 40 times.

Bolded isn't quite accurate in most instances, but to each their own.

Yes, he's had a solid pre-season, but if you can get out and get guys with more capital invested in them, history and odds strongly show that will work out for you more often in the big picture. Sell prices are very solid right now. When the starters are out there (i.e. Edelman, Harry, Gordon) he's undoubtably going to become more of an afterthought in the pecking order, and drop in value. A UDFA is a UDFA for a reason, and I don't believe he has off field concerns that drove down talent perception.

DynastyDabbler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyDabbler » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:28 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:10 am
Maybe I shouldn't have used the phrase big things. I don't believe he'll be a wr 1 but I do believe he can be a consistent fantasy producers given the opportunity. He's caught 19/26 for 225 yds over his 1st 3 games. His QB is Tom Brady and he's shown good chemistry with rookie backup Stidham. I wouldn't prioritize him over Edleman, Harry or Gordon. But if anything happens to one of those guys then I do believe he'll start producing. Regardless he's not a bad roster stash. If he's available in your league you'd be silly not to scoop him up.
10 team half-ppr 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2FLX 3IDP
QB: J. Burrow, J. Goff
RB: J. Mixon, K. Walker, T. Etienne, A. Ekeler, Z. Charbonet, K. Miller, T. Bigsby, J. Warren,
WR: J. Chase, D.J. Moore, D.K. Metcalf, D. Smith, J. Smith-Njigba, P. Nacua, J. Meyers, T. Palmer,
TE: T. Kelce, T. McBride, C. Okonkwo

trc
Captain
Captain

Postby trc » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:22 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:09 am
Ice wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:20 amToo early to tell on him but it’s obvious he can run routes and find the soft spots in the defense. As a former QB he looks to have a sixth sense to read a QB’s mind.

Yes, he's had a solid pre-season, but if you can get out and get guys with more capital invested in them, history and odds strongly show that will work out for you more often in the big picture. Sell prices are very solid right now. When the starters are out there (i.e. Edelman, Harry, Gordon) he's undoubtably going to become more of an afterthought in the pecking order, and drop in value. A UDFA is a UDFA for a reason, and I don't believe he has off field concerns that drove down talent perception.
According to the linked article, in this instance it was (in the 2nd paragraph).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... n-the-dust

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:29 pm

In this case with this team pedigree doesn’t matter. The Pats simply scout differently.

Julian was a 7th rounder
The guy he replaced was a FA
Brady was a 6th rounder
Butler the SB hero a few years ago was FA

He could very well be A FA because teams simply missed like they missed on Lindsay, Thielen, and Foster.

Draft Capital certainly helps you get in the door but I am 100% sure The Pats put the best players on the field.

This kid has a legit shot. This is also Dynasty so his ability to start needs to be considered but in fantasy he is not the type to be dismissed as an afterthought at this point.

What drove down his value was very limited experience as a converted QB and straight line speed of 4.6.

He looks like a lock to make the roster.

Not saying he will be a superstar but Gordon has issues and he and Edelman are getting longer in the tooth.

I stand by he is a strong hold.

Excellent stash or taxi potential.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:25 am

trc wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:22 pm

According to the linked article, in this instance it was (in the 2nd paragraph).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... n-the-dust
The comment on inaccuracy wasn't disputing that Jakobi Meyers isn't fast, it was towards the 'draft pedigree means little' statement. Draft pedigree often means quite a bit in terms of opportunity, chances, and general perception of a players prospects as a short and long-term option. If ANY team thinks there is something there, a guy gets drafted. It wasn't strictly 40 time that led teams to pass. Yes, there are still exceptions and opportunities, and I hope those guys seize them, but draft pedigree does mean something. There is a correlation with NFL success and viability.

Ice wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:29 pm

In this case with this team pedigree doesn’t matter. The Pats simply scout differently.

Julian was a 7th rounder
The guy he replaced was a FA
Brady was a 6th rounder
Butler the SB hero a few years ago was FA

He could very well be A FA because teams simply missed like they missed on Lindsay, Thielen, and Foster.

Draft Capital certainly helps you get in the door but I am 100% sure The Pats put the best players on the field.

This kid has a legit shot. This is also Dynasty so his ability to start needs to be considered but in fantasy he is not the type to be dismissed as an afterthought at this point.

What drove down his value was very limited experience as a converted QB and straight line speed of 4.6.

He looks like a lock to make the roster.

Not saying he will be a superstar but Gordon has issues and he and Edelman are getting longer in the tooth.

I stand by he is a strong hold.

Excellent stash or taxi potential.
The Pats actually scouted Jakobi the same as the other teams...which ultimately considered him a UDFA. It wasn't as if they made a priority to get him/them. Yes, they did acquire him and these other players, including Danny Woodhead and many others, and Bill as the greatest coach of all time was able to develop and mold his gameplans to their strengths. He is the best coach of all time and does have a good track record, however the odds are still long, as is the track record of hype guys like this (Sudfeld, Thompkins, etc.). The best think Jakobi has going is that he's a smart guy and former QB, which has likely helped him learn quick, but he's still a long-shot to have a noteworthy fantasy impact for anyone.

My comments aren't 'he isn't worth a stash or taxi spot' but rather the odds of his long-term success towards your fantasy roster vs what you can obtain for him right now. If you can get a 2020 2nd, you have to jump. This is strictly the odds. It also is how you sustain value. Simply put, Jakobi will be nothing but a hold and hope very soon, as Harry, Edelman, White, and Gordon will be in the lead spots very soon. Jakobi isn't taking precedent over those guys. By the time you can use Jakobi, assuming you ever can, it won't be until after you'd be able to use that 2020 2nd on someone with a much more appealing profile and with more upside. This is strictly the odds.

Jakobi is a good story and he's certainly taken advantage. Hopefully he keeps it going, but he's not a special athlete and he's not in a situation that is going to lead to immediate success outside of pre-season. I question his ability on the outside, and he lacks the suddenness and agility of Welker/Edelman in the lineage of the Pats slot options. Feel free to hold and hope, but exploring the cash out options available certainly seem worthwhile at this time in many instances. If the market isn't there, then by all means hold and hope.

Ryantacular
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Ryantacular » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:26 pm

Thanks for combining these threads - I’m not sure why it didn’t show up when I did an advanced search. There’s not a typo in the title or anything.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:12 pm

Im guessing we will know his usage and fantasy potential after first couple weeks.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:35 pm

Find it interesting that some think because a specific team didn’t draft a player he isn’t draft-able.

That is ridiculous.

Teams set their draft boards a whole host of ways but after the first couple of rounds teams draft based on need for the most part.

Meyers May turn out to be nothing but by next year he could have an impact.

Doubt he breaks out as rookie on a SB team but he was given a chance and it’s obvious he is making the most of that opportunity regardless of draft position or FA signing.

Further on that team it’s all about talent in their scheme. BB could give a damn where he selected a player or the name on the back of the jersey for that matter.

He likes to win and that’s putting the best players on the field.

As a rookie, I doubt he plays much but everyone should step back and think Dynasty.

Too much redraft mindset around here lately IMO.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:57 pm

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-tom-brady- ... obi-meyers

Meyers has a PFF receiving grade of 81.6 through 3 2019 preseason games. That ranks first among the 70 wide receivers who have played at least 50 snaps in the preseason. In addition, that grade ranks ninth in preseason performances in the last five seasons among the 505 receivers who have played at least 50 snaps
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:03 pm

It did take Julian Edelman 5 years to breakout with the Patriots as a reminder - and 3 years for Thielen with the Vikings. Maybe Meyers does it in one year. We shall see!
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

TimeWillTell
Captain
Captain

Postby TimeWillTell » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:09 pm

Sold him for a likely late 2020 2nd. Hoping he doesn't live up to expectations this year and gets dropped so I can grab him again.
2020, 2021, 2022 Champion!
12 Team 1QB 0.5 PPR 30 man roster
Start: 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1Def
QB: Mahomes, Brady, Stafford
RB: Barkley, Taylor, Dobbins, Swift, Jacobs
WR: Chase, Jefferson, AJB, Lamb, DJM, Olave, Dotson, Mike Evans
TE: Hock, Dulcich, Chig, Fant, Jonnu, Hurst, Everett
K: Some guy
Def: Who knows
1.01, 1.03

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:47 pm

Ice wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:35 pm Find it interesting that some think because a specific team didn’t draft a player he isn’t draft-able.

That is ridiculous.

Teams set their draft boards a whole host of ways but after the first couple of rounds teams draft based on need for the most part.

Meyers May turn out to be nothing but by next year he could have an impact.

Doubt he breaks out as rookie on a SB team but he was given a chance and it’s obvious he is making the most of that opportunity regardless of draft position or FA signing.

Further on that team it’s all about talent in their scheme. BB could give a damn where he selected a player or the name on the back of the jersey for that matter.

He likes to win and that’s putting the best players on the field.

As a rookie, I doubt he plays much but everyone should step back and think Dynasty.

Too much redraft mindset around here lately IMO.
Selling a player for quality draft picks is a dynasty mindset. It’s just a different approach to holding a UDFA who flashed, and one that has more value insulation, especially in year 1 where you’re basically acknowledging the production of note is unlikely. UDFA’s typically struggle to hold value, and always have skepticism that caps their value.

Nothing wrong with holding Meyers, it’s just a probability and value insulation thing for me. I like my chances of getting a WR2 or higher (or other notable roster player) better with the pick Meyers can return than I see Meyers becoming based on various components of his profile and tape.

He’s a good story. Hopefully he carves out a career.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:46 pm

Obviously if you have no desire to move Meyers & just want to see if he will be all that he may promise to be, then holding is the best option.

Like FiremanEd said, it is just a different approach - and different approaches can & will work.

I think that is one of the most crucial aspects of dynasty, is to know what approach(es) work for you - does not matter what others think. It does not make sense to me to use an approach that does not fit how you like to play dynasty.

So if you want to wait & see what this plays out like - thats 1 approach
If you want to flip for a quick profit - thats a 2nd approach
If you want to hold for a better profit - thats a 3rd approach

To each their own.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..