Jakobi Meyers the new Edelman?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ryantacular
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Jakobi Meyers

Postby Ryantacular » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:00 am

With all the attention he's gotten, and his name mentioned throughout threads, was surprised to see no official thread for him after doing a search.

What do you guys think of him?

Crowded WRs, including a WR they drafted in the 1st, and Josh Gordon. But he's looking good.

Honestly he was completely off my radar, but some were apparently surprised he went undrafted.

Lets discuss Jakobi, his value on the pats, his future value, and just him and his talent, and any insight to his past or why he went undrafted.

I missed out on all shares a few weeks ago, because like all patriots receivers, I biasedly ignored him.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Re: Jakobi Meyers

Postby ericanadian » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:15 am

Not super confident in him putting up good fantasy numbers in the near future. Edelman & Gordon are clearly ahead of him for targets and I suspect White will soak up a bunch as well. After that things tend to get spread all over the place.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:47 am

There are reports that Meyers may not even make the final roster. I could see NE trading him to DET or MIA for a late round pick.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Ryantacular
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Ryantacular » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:57 am

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:47 am There are reports that Meyers may not even make the final roster. I could see NE trading him to DET or MIA for a late round pick.
I was reading those patriots reports last night - I wonder how serious they are. If they're true, it could contribute to why they're showcasing him hard? Not so he can earn a roster spot, but so they can trade him off. . I'm surprised to see DET as one of your landing spots.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:15 pm

It seems like every year there is lots of hype and news about the low/undrafted rookie WR for the Pats, and every year the player fails to live up to expectations. Consider that the following players are competing with him:
Edelman
Dorcet
Harry
Gordon
Thomas

Now I'm not saying who is more talented, but we know which players have more time in the Patriots system and NFL experience.

Could you take a flier on Meyers? Sure. Should you be paying significantly everywhere for him, no.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

ebsteelers
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ebsteelers » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:24 pm

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:47 am There are reports that Meyers may not even make the final roster. I could see NE trading him to DET or MIA for a late round pick.
where?

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:24 pm

Meyers looked great and has looked great with Stidham, but go look at his first quarter with Brady, not as great. If you believe Stidham is the pats future (does anyone?) than it looks like they have some great chemistry and Meyers could be Stidhams #1. However im of the belief that Meyers absolute ceiling is 2017 Chris Hogan (which was good but not crazy good) and his floor is far less. I also do not see Stidham as the future. Iif you really want him than offer a 3rd and see what you get but beyond that itd be tough for me to offer anything

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:25 pm

ebsteelers wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:24 pm
where?
They were talking about it on the Pats broadcast, I know that.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

flashgordon12
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby flashgordon12 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:13 pm

Kenbrell Thompkins
Flash in the Pan: 12 team PPR (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1DEF) 25 man rosters

QB- Andrew Luck, Josh Allen
RB- MGIII, Mixon, Cohen, Devonta Freeman
WR- AB, Odell Beckham Jr., Josh Gordon, Tyler Boyd, Marqise Lee, Sutton, MVS
TE- Gronk, Higbee
DEF- Denver

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:26 pm

Should you pay for him? No. Should you ignore what he’s done to rise in value? Also no.
Either you picked him up for free a few weeks ago, in which case you can enjoy the ride and see where it takes you, while also selling if anyone gets stupid and offers 2nd round value or plus for him.
Or, you missed out or got outbid. In which case keep an eye on him if you like him, and see how his season progresses. But now is definitely not the time to be a buyer I think.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:33 pm

sugbear65 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:26 pm Should you pay for him? No. Should you ignore what he’s done to rise in value? Also no.
Either you picked him up for free a few weeks ago, in which case you can enjoy the ride and see where it takes you, while also selling if anyone gets stupid and offers 2nd round value or plus for him.
Or, you missed out or got outbid. In which case keep an eye on him if you like him, and see how his season progresses. But now is definitely not the time to be a buyer I think.
I thought I had picked him up everywhere he was available weeks ago. I missed him in one league and was kicking myself. Of course, that's the league someone offers up a 2020 2nd for him. :roll: :wall: :doh:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Ryantacular
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Ryantacular » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:37 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:33 pm
sugbear65 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:26 pm Should you pay for him? No. Should you ignore what he’s done to rise in value? Also no.

I thought I had picked him up everywhere he was available weeks ago. I missed him in one league and was kicking myself. Of course, that's the league someone offers up a 2020 2nd for him. :roll: :wall: :doh:

Wow! This is the worst ! I definitely wouldn’t pay for him, the whole idea is a quick flip, and figuring out if holding longer could reel in more than if you sold now. But a 2nd is amazing. I feel for you man. Especially because of the irony that it happened in the only league you were unable to snag him in. :’(

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:08 am

Low ceiling, low floor guy IMO. He doesn’t look dynamic enough. Could have put together a WR3 PPR season? Perhaps. He’s a classic preseason pickup and flip choice for me. Exactly what I did in one league, and would do anywhere I had him and could. I would be aiming for a 2nd and offer to the entire league to do so and go from there.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Re: Jakobi Meyers the new Edelman?

Postby ericanadian » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:28 am

Maurice Harris was tracking as the number two slot receiver, and I know he’s been out a bit, but he’s ultimately the UDFA I think has the most upside in this offence. I could see a case for Berrios as well. Even there, I think eventually the team is going to realize that Harry makes more sense in the slot, but not much incentive to do that while Edelman is still healthy.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

DynastyDabbler
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Jakobi Meyers the new Edelman?

Postby DynastyDabbler » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:44 am

I realize the Patriots have some incredible receivers but it's hard for me to see past the production. I think Jakobi gets a shot eventually. Whether it's week one or next season, with the Patriots or not. I have no problem holding onto him as long as I can. I probably wouldn't go out and buy him right now because you'd likely be overpaying for him. But, I get a good feeling from this guy. I think big things are in store for him.
10 team half-ppr 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2FLX 3IDP
QB: J. Burrow, J. Goff
RB: J. Mixon, K. Walker, T. Etienne, A. Ekeler, Z. Charbonet, K. Miller, T. Bigsby, J. Warren,
WR: J. Chase, D.J. Moore, D.K. Metcalf, D. Smith, J. Smith-Njigba, P. Nacua, J. Meyers, T. Palmer,
TE: T. Kelce, T. McBride, C. Okonkwo