Let’s talk... David Montgomery

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Re: David Montgomery

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:56 pm

What really sold me on him was his 109 total broken tackles last year. That’s the highest figure ever seen over a single-season in either college or the NFL over the course of PFF’s grading.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:54 pm

Monty is loved by a lot of people and I constantly hear experts talking him up as possibly the best back. His biggest knock after metrics is the fact that both Sanders and Jacobs were drafted a lot higher in the NFL and a lot of his hype involves him looking like Kareem Hunt and as someone already mentioned even Hunt may not be Hunt outside of The Chiefs. Personally I like him a lot but at the moment I have all three of them fairly close together in ranking.

HereForTheComments
Captain
Captain

Postby HereForTheComments » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:31 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:21 pm Here's are all the 3rd round Rb's I have stats for, you can kind of look for yourself if Montgomerys profile looks good in comparison to others. I personally think running a 4.6x+ kind of puts you in another category of player, and when looking at those Rb's that have run that "slow" it's quite a mixture of hits, misses and everything inbetween. I think Thomas, Greene, and Gore all stacked together kind of says it all, he could be a HOF'er, a plodding compiler, or just a flat out bust.

I appreciate the feedback, I am just looking for something more than just combine numbers. I mean, he ran a 4.57 at his pro day. If you switch out his combine 40 with his pro day 40 and his numbers become comparable to Alvin Kamara. Not saying he is, just saying, combine metrics are not always very reliable.

Besides his metrics, it's there anything else... maybe from film... that should give us pause?
Team 1: 10th Year: 10 Team, PPR
2014: 3rd, 2015: 2nd, 2016: League Champion, 2017: 7th, 2018: 3rd, 2019: 5th, 2020: League Champion, 2021: 4th, 2022: 5th

QB: Aaron Rodgers Matthew Stafford, Brock Purdy
RB: Tony Pollard, Cam Akers, Ezekiel Elliott, Javonte Williams, Kyren Williams, Chuba Hubbard
WR: CeeDee Lamb, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Allen Lazard , Michael Gallup, Donavan Peoples-Jones, Tyler Boyd, Romeo Doubs, Corey Davis, Marvin Jones, VDS
TE: Dalton Shultz, Mike Gesicki

2019 picks: 1.1, 2.3, 3.5
2024 picks:
Round 1: (1)
Round 2: (1)
Round 3: (1)

HereForTheComments
Captain
Captain

Postby HereForTheComments » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:37 pm

remedy29 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:21 pm I heard Montgomery being compared to Shonn Greene. He was a solid RB when healthy, but no one is claiming All Pro potential. Kareem Hunt had a lot of positive film review and great senior bowl. There were questions on his level of competition and what kind of player was Hunt going to be? Small and fast or big and strong, his weight fluctuated a lot by the time he entered the combine. Then Hunt goes to an ideal situation in KC. I don't think they are comparable as players in the least bit.
The Kareem Hunt comparison is only in regards to his metrics from the combine, not to them as players....
2014: 3rd, 2015: 2nd, 2016: League Champion, 2017: 7th, 2018: 3rd, 2019: 5th, 2020: League Champion, 2021: 4th, 2022: 5th

RB: Tony Pollard, Cam Akers, Ezekiel Elliott, Javonte Williams, Kyren Williams, Chuba Hubbard
WR: CeeDee Lamb, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Allen Lazard , Michael Gallup, Donavan Peoples-Jones, Tyler Boyd, Romeo Doubs, Corey Davis, Marvin Jones, VDS

2024 picks:

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:54 pm

HereForTheComments wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:31 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:21 pm Here's are all the 3rd round Rb's I have stats for, you can kind of look for yourself if Montgomerys profile looks good in comparison to others. I personally think running a 4.6x+ kind of puts you in another category of player, and when looking at those Rb's that have run that "slow" it's quite a mixture of hits, misses and everything inbetween. I think Thomas, Greene, and Gore all stacked together kind of says it all, he could be a HOF'er, a plodding compiler, or just a flat out bust.

I appreciate the feedback, I am just looking for something more than just combine numbers. I mean, he ran a 4.57 at his pro day. If you switch out his combine 40 with his pro day 40 and his numbers become comparable to Alvin Kamara. Not saying he is, just saying, combine metrics are not always very reliable.

Besides his metrics, it's there anything else... maybe from film... that should give us pause?
Aren’t combine metrics considered more reliable than pro day numbers?
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:03 pm

He went number 2 in all of my rookie drafts last weekend, besides the one where Murray went first....
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:15 pm

Beat reporters keep buzzing about Mike Davis's performance in camp. Somewhat lost now in the midst of Montgomery's hype is the fact that Davis is getting paid more than a #3 RB should get, and the coaching staff has repeatedly avowed how pleased they are about landing Davis in free-agency.

I'm thinking the Bears backfield could be frustratingly Patriots-esque this year.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

HereForTheComments
Captain
Captain

Postby HereForTheComments » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:37 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:54 pm

I don't know how that could be... we are talking 40 times. Unless the combine has a special stop watch, or something lol

2024 picks:

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:28 pm

HereForTheComments wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:37 pm

I don't know how that could be... we are talking 40 times. Unless the combine has a special stop watch, or something lol
They literally do. It’s laser timed versus being hand timed at pro days. This is why playerprofiler adds 0.05 seconds to players 40 times that only run at their pro days because they’re typically faster
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:29 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:54 pm Aren’t combine metrics considered more reliable than pro day numbers?
It's a more structured setting. Every player is tested in the same environment at the same time by the same people. They also do some sort of review/confirmation of the 40 times as well.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:36 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:29 pm
jcc6fd wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:54 pm Aren’t combine metrics considered more reliable than pro day numbers?
It's a more structured setting. Every player is tested in the same environment at the same time by the same people. They also do some sort of review/confirmation of the 40 times as well.
Pro day times are almost ALWAYS timed faster. This is known. Treadwell certainly knew it. It takes the eye about .05 seconds to see the player start to move before you hit your watch. It's the human reaction time. Player Profiler adjusts for this. The NFL combine adjusts their times to correct it, but pro days do not have this. So if a guy runs a 4.55 at a pro day, he basically ran a 4.6. Montgomery ran a 4.57 or 4.58 at his pro day, so it confirms his combine time of 4.63.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:02 am

HereForTheComments wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:25 pm I have searched the forums and I'm not really able to find any real breakdown of David Montgomery to explain why he isn't higher on boards other than his "metrics". I am not sure how his metrics can be viewed as an issue when his metrics are basically identical to Kareem Hunt and no one is worried about him.

Can anyone help breakdown what it is that doesn't make him the clear #2, or even possibly #1, in rookie drafts outside of metrics? What am I not seeing, because, on film, he looks like the best back in this class.
Hunt has 2 years of elite play in the actual NFL. No one rated Hunt as elite out of the combine. I'd also argue Hunt looked way better on tape but that's arbitrary. good news is we'll find out pretty soon what he looks like against NFL competition :pray:

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:51 am

How are pro day 40 times almost always faster than combine times?
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

HereForTheComments
Captain
Captain

Postby HereForTheComments » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:27 am

jcc6fd wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:28 pm

They literally do. It’s laser timed versus being hand timed at pro days. This is why playerprofiler adds 0.05 seconds to players 40 times that only run at their pro days because they’re typically faster
Just learned something new. I don't watch the combines, so I never knew they used lasers... I guess they do have a special stop watch lol

2024 picks:

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:48 am

David Montgomery is my 1.01 of this class.
- Agility/elusiveness, balance/power/tackle breaking, receiving, and explosion/burst are the Big 4 traits for me, and he is stellar in 3 of them. Explosion is not great but plenty of RBs can get by without it.
- Unlike Jacobs, Monty has already proven that he can handle a big workload.
- He is in a great offensive system, on a team that should be facing good game scripts. And frankly, a brusing RB in cold Chicago weather is going to be even stronger come fantasy playoffs.

40-yard dash is the least important metric for running backs. I don't even look at it unless it is way higher or slower than I expected. Holyfield lost a lot of ground based on his, but Monty's was sufficient. If you are running in wide open space then the defense did something wrong, or you did something great to get there.

I can see the argument for Jacobs since he should get more volume, but he has a red flag in that we have no clue how he'll hold up to the volume.

I *can't* see why people don't see how people still don't see it with Monty.