Mandatory Trade Leagues

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Mandatory Trade Leagues

Postby Jason3123 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:25 am

Does anyone play in any leagues that have any sort of "mandatory" trade rules. Like 1 trade per month/quarter, auction trades, etc..

Asking because I heard an idea on the Rotoviz Dynasty Tradecast podcast where each owner is assigned 1 month out of the year where they must nominate a top 100 (ADP-based) player for trade. Owners then silently bid on that player, and the owner must accept the best offer. I like the idea of this, but I question how they determine what the "best trade" is. Because owners values vary so wildly. I imagine they just go based off ADP but you could get a little weird with someone offering like 2-3 or 90ADP players versus another owner offering a single top 50ish guy. Who determines what's more valuable?

Anyways, anyone play in any leagues with similar type rules or gimmicks? If so, how are they perceived and how well do you think they work?

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Re: Mandatory Trade Leagues

Postby Mjvb5 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:30 am

I really really don't like that idea of going off the ADP of a player as I'm going back to my tried a true example
I nominate Conner, I get offered Dalvin... Dalvins adp is higher than Conner therefore this is likely to win even though I'd want at least a first with Dalvin to consider moving Conner.If you do this best trade needs to be left up to the owner deciding but at the same time what if you don't like any of the offers, your not allowed to negotiate on them you just have to take it and go with it.
IMO in an active league this isn't necessary at all, you'll have slow times sure but slow times are good to let owners look over there teams and values and figure out what they want to do

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:36 am

Terrible idea...but I guess if you're doing it, you would let the owner decide which is the best offer rather than going off ADP.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:59 am

I would not be remotely interested in a league like this.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:59 am

Jason3123 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:25 am Who determines what's more valuable?
the owner. duh.

anyway, the idea sucks donkey's balls.

problemsolver
Starter
Starter

Postby problemsolver » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:02 am

This site is absolutely rife with posts/threads about relatively fair trades that are "shaking leagues to its foundation". Mandating trades just seems like a great way to have a one year league.

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:16 am

Wouldn't even consider joining one of these. People send trade offers that are awful enough without having the rules mandate they force feed this bleep on people once a year.
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

RB6
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby RB6 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:16 am

Awful idea. If this was suggested in any of my leagues I’d bounce so fast.
.5PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
LJax, Burrow, Carr, Huntley, Heinicke, Cunningham
Adams, Kupp, Deebo, M Brown, Kirk, Wiliams, C Samuel, Palmer, E. Moore, Hodgins, Hutchinson
CMC, Barkley, Mostert, Ford, Moss, Dobbins, Dillon, Kelley, Tucker
Andrews, Higbee

PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
Mahomes, Purdy, Dalton, Henicke, Trask, Zappe
Henry, Pacheco, Robinson, Wilson, Ford, Chandler, Deuce
Hill, Kupp, Shaheed, Toney, Lazard, Metchie, Mingo, Slayton, Shenault, Atwell, Hutchinson
Pitts, Waller, Washington

PPR Best Ball Dynasty SF .5TEP
Stroud, Cousins, Willis, Mariota, Cunningham
Walker, J Cook, Miller, Zamir, Rodriguez, Carter, Penny
St. Brown, Aiyuk, DJ Moore, London, Doubs, Metchie, Scott, Claypool
Kincaid, Dulcich, Fant, Turner, Hurst

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:01 pm

Jason3123 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:25 am Does anyone play in any leagues that have any sort of "mandatory" trade rules. Like 1 trade per month/quarter, auction trades, etc..

Asking because I heard an idea on the Rotoviz Dynasty Tradecast podcast where each owner is assigned 1 month out of the year where they must nominate a top 100 (ADP-based) player for trade. Owners then silently bid on that player, and the owner must accept the best offer. I like the idea of this, but I question how they determine what the "best trade" is. Because owners values vary so wildly. I imagine they just go based off ADP but you could get a little weird with someone offering like 2-3 or 90ADP players versus another owner offering a single top 50ish guy. Who determines what's more valuable?

Anyways, anyone play in any leagues with similar type rules or gimmicks? If so, how are they perceived and how well do you think they work?
Sounds like a terrible idea to force a trade. My suggestion would be to find a league full of good active owners and weed out the bad ones.
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:09 pm

Jason3123 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:25 am each owner is assigned 1 month out of the year where they must nominate a top 100 (ADP-based) player for trade. Owners then silently bid on that player, and the owner must accept the best offer.
Not a big fan of this idea, but I can see how this could work. My primary league is an auction format with no salary cap. Each year the rookies are auctioned off to the highest bidder. Any unspent money is saved for later use (e.g. trades, free agents, or next year's rookies).

In a league like that, these "forced" trades could be done for straight cash. This makes determination of the best offer trivial.

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:11 pm

I’ve had similar ideas as a league I’m in is very inactive in trading other than 2-3 of us. Was thinking more about mandatory offers every month. Not sure how’d you realistically enforce a rule like that. Even crummy offers are fun to get when you may go months between offers being sent. Never know what happens when you counter
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:47 pm

So on the podcast, the host, I believe it's the guy who owns Dynasty Trade Calculator or did, not sure, his name is Eric Burtzlaff. Anyways, he stated that the leagues he's in that has this type of rule, he's only seen a bad deal 1 time, claiming that there is always at least one owner who pays fair market value or even above. The one bad trade he referenced he claimed was just a player who nobody in the league really wanted, and the 1 offer submitted was pretty cheap apparently. Unfortunately, he didn't go into detail about how the winning trade is selected when there are numerous offers submitted, and that's the part I was curious about. It sounded like every offer was made public at the end of the bid process for transparency.

I don't think the idea is terrible, considering it's obviously being used in some leagues, and I know there are owners in my league who I can't trade with whatsoever, so I think something like this could fix that. But I could also see a lot of issues, which is why I posted to see if anyone has experience with these types of rules.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:49 pm

Mandatory trade leagues sound idiotic.

You don't need to trade to even build a top-tier team.
Some owners like to trade more than others.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:09 pm

There are ways to promote trading - for instance, give awards for best trade, based on a league-wide poll, or most active owner, or any of other various reward scenarios you can come up with... forcing owners to trade or even be more active than they are comfortable with won't end well.

-oo-
Both teams 16 tm 1/3 ppr idp
QB, RB, 2WR, TE, 2Flex, K, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 2 Flex

Phoenix Park Suns
QB - Hurts, Darnold, Minshew, Zappe, O'Connell
RB - Ekeler, Conner, Edwards, Strong, McLaughlin, Brooks, Prince
WR - Adams, Tyreek Hill, Deebo Samuel, Zay Jones, M. Thomas, Downs
TE - Goedert, Bellinger
PK - Sanders
DL - Garrett, Paye, Madubuike, Judon
LB - Franklin, Mosley, Edmunds, J. Davis, Bernard, Jack, Mapu, Vander Esch
DB - Metellus, Branch
2024 Picks: 1.14, 2.05 , 2.14, 3.05, 3.14, 6.14

Serenity Valley Browncoats
QB - RWilson, O'Connell, Lance, Darnold, Hooker, Stidham
RB - Stevenson, RWhite, Ford, Herbert, Hunt, CEH, McIntosh, Brooks
WR - Adams, Collins, Rice, GDavis, NBrown, Dortch, Tillman
TE - Higbee, Allen, Graham
PK - Fairbairn
DL - Madubuike, Paye, Ebukam, Will Anderson
LB - Kendricks, Pratt, DWhite, Holcombe, Baker, Alexander, TAndersen, Jack
DB - Blackmon, Brisker, Stingley
- 2024 Picks: 1.13, 3.13
-oo-

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:54 pm

I hate the idea ... I am a very active owner, but I’m not an exceedingly active trader. I have a good track record finding sleeper, who’ll I’ll gladly swap in a trade, but in my 20+ years of playing keeper/dynasty, I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve traded for a marquee player (defined as a Top 10 ADP player).