Release the Guice! - The Derrius Guice Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Release the guice

Postby GridironGuerilla » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:17 am

My God. The inability for some to budge from their stance on a player or situation even when new information is presented or doubt removed as it relates to previous injury/limitations is absolutely mind boggling. Stubbornness is an epic struggle for some.

Glad to see Guice back on the field after battling an ACL and complications from infections, as well as a pre-season hamstring issue. I think we can all at least put the doom and gloom regarding those to rest. Looked pretty good for his first game back in a year after getting in VERY limited action in the NFL with nice flashes prior to his injury. I am cautiously optimistic.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:25 am

Ryantacular wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:03 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:20 pm
Huh wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:09 pm So everybody traded for him, right? Right?
Why, are you making this statement? Is it because he averaged 4 YPC in a preseason game? Why does this statement seem like you're implying he did something great tonight? The time to buy IMO will be 3 weeks into the regular season when AP looks fresh and Guice is behind him. I don't generally like guys who are used as 2 down backs in bad offences unless the price is right, and most people still want what they paid for Guice. May throw out some feelers early in the year, but this offense won't be good for a few years, so I'm not overly excited.

Who cares about his average? Watch the film on all his touches. It's promising. 3 weeks into regular season will be too late. Last chance to get Guice for less than a 1st.
I watched it. He looked OK. The guys post who I had quoted made a statement that seemed like Guice had done something incredible and the buy window was closed or something. He had a few decent runs in a preseason game. I'm not lowering or raising my opinions about him based on that. I don't know anywhere that the owner is trading him for less than a first. I also don't believe 3 weeks into the regular season will be too late. My opinion is that their offense will be bad, and Adrian Peterson will be getting significant touches early in the season.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:08 pm

Freak, stop being so reasonable.

I agree - he looked OK. Not special, but not bad.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Not every touch was special (how often is that true for anyone?) but a few his carries absolutely demonstrated special traits. Claiming otherwise is unobjective, and likely coming from those already entrenched with a pessimistic attitude.

Of more objective concern is that Washington's run-blocking against Atlanta's 1st-team D was pretty sloppy. Small sample I suppose, but what I saw suggests Guice and Peterson won't benefit much from second-level blocking this season.

Aside: Guice is bigger now than he was on his LSU tape. From comparison, I'm guessing he played at around 215lbs in the SEC. I don't know if that actually matters to us, only observing. It's not surprising for a player that declared for the draft at age 20 to continue developing physically.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:27 pm

I own Guice in one league so I'm rooting for him, good to see him back and I agree with others, he looked ok which I will take after an acl injury and still limited time playing in the NFL.

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:35 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:47 pm Not every touch was special (how often is that true for anyone?) but a few his carries absolutely demonstrated special traits. Claiming otherwise is unobjective, and likely coming from those already entrenched with a pessimistic attitude.

Of more objective concern is that Washington's run-blocking against Atlanta's 1st-team D was pretty sloppy. Small sample I supposue, but what I saw suggests Guice and Peterson won't benefit much from second-level blocking this season.

Aside: Guice is bigger now than he was on his LSU tape. From comparison, I'm guessing he played at around 215lbs in the SEC. I don't know if that actually matters to us, only observing. It's not surprising for a player that declared for the draft at age 20 to continue developing physically.
I think he absolutely looks bigger. I think he came in closer to 210 but he has to be in the 225 range. He’s muscle bound.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:52 pm

He was 224 at the combine and didn’t appear noticeably larger than when in college. Idk I think he just carries the weight well

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:02 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:52 pm He was 224 at the combine and didn’t appear noticeably larger than when in college. Idk I think he just carries the weight well
Huh, thought he was lighter than that but whatever. 4.4s at 224 is so nice.
Last edited by Huh on Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Postby Nanananananana » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:04 pm

Overall it seems pretty reasonable to be excited by a guy who was a very good looking prospect (devy darling) coming out and has only looked good in his 2 times on an NFL field. Doesn’t seem like anyone is crowning him the next Saquon, just people are excited that the guy they loved coming out is now on the field and doesn’t look like Ronald Jones.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:54 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:47 pm Not every touch was special (how often is that true for anyone?) but a few his carries absolutely demonstrated special traits. Claiming otherwise is unobjective, and likely coming from those already entrenched with a pessimistic attitude.

Of more objective concern is that Washington's run-blocking against Atlanta's 1st-team D was pretty sloppy. Small sample I suppose, but what I saw suggests Guice and Peterson won't benefit much from second-level blocking this season.

Um, not really. Perhaps those just differ on your idea of "special", in this context. Claiming something different than your absolute statement isn't necessarily "unobjective."

Ryantacular
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Ryantacular » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:32 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:25 am
Ryantacular wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:03 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:20 pm

Why, are you making this statement? Is it because he averaged 4 YPC in a preseason game? Why does this statement seem like you're implying he did something great tonight? The time to buy IMO will be 3 weeks into the regular season when AP looks fresh and Guice is behind him. I don't generally like guys who are used as 2 down backs in bad offences unless the price is right, and most people still want what they paid for Guice. May throw out some feelers early in the year, but this offense won't be good for a few years, so I'm not overly excited.

Who cares about his average? Watch the film on all his touches. It's promising. 3 weeks into regular season will be too late. Last chance to get Guice for less than a 1st.
I watched it. He looked OK. The guys post who I had quoted made a statement that seemed like Guice had done something incredible and the buy window was closed or something. He had a few decent runs in a preseason game. I'm not lowering or raising my opinions about him based on that. I don't know anywhere that the owner is trading him for less than a first. I also don't believe 3 weeks into the regular season will be too late. My opinion is that their offense will be bad, and Adrian Peterson will be getting significant touches early in the season.

To get him for less than a first, you have to be sneaky and throw him into a trade without him being a target. Was able to nab my one and only share by getting the other owner to add him to Ridley in a package deal.

As far as how he looked. I agree, in a vacuum he looked “OK”. However , for somebody coming off a tear, he looked healthy. Which is what counts. Especially since the panicking owners , are mostly panicking because of the hamstring injury a month or so back due to being uninformed on how common that is coming back from an ACL tear.

I agree the other owner did make it sound a little more hyped up then needed, but I think you took it too far the opposite direction. But maybe that just made y’alls statements combined , balanced. 🤷🏼‍♂️😂

AP getting significant touches or not would be irrelevant I would assume when dealing for guice , since both parties know even if AP led this whole season, he wouldn’t always be there. The owners are just looking for health improvements , not an improvement on the depth chart.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:51 am

Vcize wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:10 am Big Guice fan here, have lots of shares. He looked... OK to me. Heavier and a little slower than I remember. Ran strong but not really dynamic, at least in this game. Mostly it was good to see him out there getting touches. I think he's great value right now, been able to snag him as late as the 7th or 8th round in some recent SF startups.
Yeah I feel the same. Big Guice fan as well. He looked, stiff? Not as explosive as I remember. Maybe shaking the rust off. Had 1 good run and 1 really good run. The rest were ok.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:59 pm

From the all 22, Guice wasn't leaving yards on the field, which is important. When blocking broke down beyond the LoS which was the majority of his carries, he decisively got north-south and acquired the yards he could. That isn't flashy, but it's what good starting NFL RBs to do.

His juice looks normal to me, he just didn't get many second-level opportunities to show it. One of his final carries showed it. He got a legit crease and gobbled up yards in a hurry. Looked to me like the high 4.4 low 4.5 runner he tested as being. He was also a 3-down player.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:52 am

Still have him above the 1.01 in this year's class. Guice is going to be good.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:12 pm

Gruden talking up Guice as the lead back. Said he could even be a 3rd down back (if needed), so it seems like he'll mainly be a two down banger to start. AP will have a word or two about this, I would think. It didn't go well in New Orleans when he wasn't seeing the ball.