Melvin Gordon value

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Re: Melvin Gordon to hold out/demand trade without new contract

Postby moishetreats » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:54 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:26 pm Jackson had 50 plus yard run called back that was awesome, and then later Ekeler had a 20 plus yard reception called back that was also an awesome solo effort. These 2 backs are rendering Gordon redundant at the moment. Sure, having him come in half way through the year will help the team, as he will be fresh and healthy, but he's lost any leverage he had. Ekeler is the RB1 in FF through 2 weeks, and Jackson is doing well with his touches, too. They have proven to be more efficient without Gordon, when he is not playing, for a while now.
To me, this is an argument based on looking at the statistics of individual players but not at the overall impact on the team.

Yes, by yards-per-carry, Ekeler and Jackson have produced at a higher rate than Gordon typically does. Still, what's the more likely conclusion:

A) Ekeler and Jackson are better / more efficient? or
B) Teams protect against Rivers more with Gordon out of the lineup?

Indeed, the offense as a whole has been far worse without Gordon, particularly Rivers. Defenses play against a Chargers team with Gordon differently than how the play against a Chargers team without Gordon. Using the singular metric of "more efficient" provides only a snapshot but ignores the full picture.

The Chargers offense -- and, by extension, team -- is better with Gordon on the field than off it.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:32 pm

moishetreats wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:54 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:26 pm Jackson had 50 plus yard run called back that was awesome, and then later Ekeler had a 20 plus yard reception called back that was also an awesome solo effort. These 2 backs are rendering Gordon redundant at the moment. Sure, having him come in half way through the year will help the team, as he will be fresh and healthy, but he's lost any leverage he had. Ekeler is the RB1 in FF through 2 weeks, and Jackson is doing well with his touches, too. They have proven to be more efficient without Gordon, when he is not playing, for a while now.
To me, this is an argument based on looking at the statistics of individual players but not at the overall impact on the team.

Yes, by yards-per-carry, Ekeler and Jackson have produced at a higher rate than Gordon typically does. Still, what's the more likely conclusion:

Indeed, the offense as a whole has been far worse without Gordon, particularly Rivers. Defenses play against a Chargers team with Gordon differently than how the play against a Chargers team without Gordon. Using the singular metric of "more efficient" provides only a snapshot but ignores the full picture.

The Chargers offense -- and, by extension, team -- is better with Gordon on the field than off it.
THANK YOU. Nice to see a voice of reason...
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:46 am

moishetreats wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:54 am

The Chargers are 4th in total yards through 2 games, and Rivers is basically right on his career numbers average for rating and Completion percentage. He's averaging over 300 yards per game. The offense is looking just fine without Gordon. They are also missing HH, which is an issue, too, BTW. Teams may play the Chargers slightly different without Melvin, sure, but it hasn't made their offense worse, sorry I don't agree. Rivers isn't being shut down or having his life made that much more difficult because Gordon isn't there, bu the looks of it. Gordon is a good back, but between Ekeler and Jackson so far, I don't think Gordon is missed that much. I just don't agree that the offense as a whole has been far worse without Gordon. There's just really not a lot of evidence to support that.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:49 am

Is Gordon better than the other 2? Yes.
Are the other 2 playing well in a committee? Yes.
Is it worth paying Gordon 10M to replace a good committee? No.

Welcome to the NFL. Outside of a handful, every backfield is being split up and its damn near 50-50 in a lot

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:54 am

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:49 am Is Gordon better than the other 2? Yes.
Are the other 2 playing well in a committee? Yes.
Is it worth paying Gordon 10M to replace a good committee? No.

Welcome to the NFL. Outside of a handful, every backfield is being split up and its damn near 50-50 in a lot
Yup, this is all true
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Dynasty_Analyst
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Dynasty_Analyst » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:39 am

I see a lot of people who must be Gordon owners arguing with a people who must be Ekeler owners.
Fantasy Writer- 5 Yard Rush
@5yardrush @5yarddynasty
https://5yardrush.co.uk/

Content Creator- The Coaches Fantasy Podcast
@coachesfantasy Thefantasycoaches.com

@Dynasty_Analyst - Dynasty content, advice, and tidbits. Hit me up anytime to chat about your dynasty team if you need trade advice, input on the direction to move your team, or anything else.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:40 pm

If I had to guess, and assuming Gordon will return - I think his best dates to return are after Week VIII - either Week IX against the Packers, or Week X (thats the latest he can report correct?) against the Raiders. I am going to guess the Chargers will be 4-4 or 5-3 at that time and having Gordon back would be most welcome despite the holdout (business is business).
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:53 pm

ArrylT wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:40 pm If I had to guess, and assuming Gordon will return - I think his best dates to return are after Week VIII - either Week IX against the Packers, or Week X (thats the latest he can report correct?) against the Raiders. I am going to guess the Chargers will be 4-4 or 5-3 at that time and having Gordon back would be most welcome despite the holdout (business is business).
I remember last year during the Lev Bell saga different opinions on when he "had" to report to accrue a season. Week 10 is the latest, but what was the argument that the team could hold him out for 2 weeks, thus he really needed to be there by week 8 to make sure he was full go by week 10? Was that ever cleared up?

Regardless I would think that Melvin Gordon will show up as late as he can to accrue his season and hit free agency.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:06 am

Schefter says he's probably returning soon and moving his timetable up:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchefter ... 2823168000

I would guess the soonest we could see him on the field is week 5, but doubt he gets much of a workload for several weeks.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:48 am

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:06 am Schefter says he's probably returning soon and moving his timetable up:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchefter ... 2823168000

I would guess the soonest we could see him on the field is week 5, but doubt he gets much of a workload for several weeks.
I'm not sure he gets the workload he saw before. I unless they just try and run him into the ground, but I expect they want him healthy for the playoffs for once, and the play of the other backs I think warrants touches there. Ekeler for sure, as he always had a role even with Gordon there, but I think he gets more work than he used to with Gordon.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

ckrumm24
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby ckrumm24 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

So I have both Ekeler as Gordon and I hate this situation (Until next where I’ll probably love it when they are on different teams). Does anyone think that Gordon gets his workload back? If the Chargers aren’t keeping him shouldn’t they “run him into the ground”?
12 team IDP Salary Cap w/ contracts 40 man roster + 20 taxi spots | 4 year max contract w/ Franchise(1)/Transition(2)/RFA Tags). Mostly mirrors real NFL.

Full Roster:
https://www59.myfantasyleague.com/2020/ ... =0008&O=07

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:22 am

I think the Chargers will run him into the ground since it seems they don't plan on resigning him and the Ekeler/Jackson combo has worked well enough. Ekeler will still have a role just like he did last year; but, I won't be surprised if Gordon gets basically his old role back full stop unless he just flat falls on his face.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:37 am

djeternal2 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:22 am I think the Chargers will run him into the ground since it seems they don't plan on resigning him and the Ekeler/Jackson combo has worked well enough. Ekeler will still have a role just like he did last year; but, I won't be surprised if Gordon gets basically his old role back full stop unless he just flat falls on his face.
but could they also bench him in an effort to avoid injury and make a deal with some other team that would like to pay Gordon?
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:46 am

nathanq42 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:37 am
djeternal2 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:22 am I think the Chargers will run him into the ground since it seems they don't plan on resigning him and the Ekeler/Jackson combo has worked well enough. Ekeler will still have a role just like he did last year; but, I won't be surprised if Gordon gets basically his old role back full stop unless he just flat falls on his face.
but could they also bench him in an effort to avoid injury and make a deal with some other team that would like to pay Gordon?
Chargers would have to franchise tag him to be able to retain his rights to trade him, this is the last year of his deal. It's not impossible but depending on their cap situation they may not want to freeze that cap number onto their Salary Cap in an effort to trade him, especially when it's looking unlikely they would be able to get much more in a trade than they would as a compensatory pick if they just let him walk. If he were going to be traded in season it probably would have happened by now, but maybe the Eagles (who were the only ones to have semi-serious talks about him) get nervous about their running game and up their offer. Most likely he plays this year and Chargers let him walk in the offseason and go with Ekeler/Jackson/new rookie as their backfield next year.