The Todd Gurley Thread - Currently FA

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: The Fall of Gurley

Postby Sriracha » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:29 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:25 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:42 pm This is a well needed thread.......
How long until someone creates the thread: "The Rise of Henderson"?
Sometime around week 6 when people realize that Henderson is a legitimately good RB with great contact balance and vision (ala Alvin Kamara)

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:17 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:29 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:42 pm This is a well needed thread.......
Sometime around week 6 when people realize that Henderson is a legitimately good RB with great contact balance and vision (ala Alvin Kamara)
I have Henderson, but Kamara's contact balance is not comparable, IMO. Ro call Henderson's vision great is questionable for me, because it's so often, "hey, there is a massive hole! I think I'll run through that."
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

DinoDynasty
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DinoDynasty » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:19 pm

My two cents as someone who has torn his ACL 3x (all right knee) and my meniscus twice (each side) due to high school and collegiate wrestling, you can return back to 100% with today modern medicine. I probably received a fraction of the care an NFL athlete receives and I have competed in both marathons and iron man races. Gel injections and stem cell treatment has prolonged the life of an athlete ages from where it was years ago. All these injuries were before I was 22 I’m currently 30 and train regularly. My ACL in my right knee is currently torn.

Hines ward played his entire nfl career without an ACL
2017 Champ, 2018 Runner-up, 2019 Champ, 2020 Champ, 2021 Runner-up
12 Team PPR
Stairway to Evans
QB: Hurts, Kirk, Bridgewater, Jimmy G
RB: CMC, Pollard, Foreman,
Sanders, Hill
WR: Kupp, Evans, Ridley, Dell, Josh Palmer, Hodgins, Osborn, Parker, MVS
TE: Kelce, Musgrave, Otton, Gray, Woods
DEF: Chicago Ravens
2024 2nd, 3rd, 4th

12 Team .5 PPR
Fields of Dreams
QB - Fields, Cousins, Wilson
RB - Taylor, Swift, Mixon, Pollard, Singelary, McLaughlin
WR - Olave, Tyreek, Tank Dell, Higgins, Gabriel Davis, E Moore, Mingo, Douglas
TE - Ferguson, Gray, Otton
DEF - 49ers, Pats
Picks 2024 2x1st, 3, 4

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:54 pm

DinoDynasty wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:19 pm My two cents as someone who has torn his ACL 3x (all right knee) and my meniscus twice (each side) due to high school and collegiate wrestling, you can return back to 100% with today modern medicine. I probably received a fraction of the care an NFL athlete receives and I have competed in both marathons and iron man races. Gel injections and stem cell treatment has prolonged the life of an athlete ages from where it was years ago. All these injuries were before I was 22 I’m currently 30 and train regularly. My ACL in my right knee is currently torn.

The issue here isn't the ACL, it's the cartilage that prevents bone on bone impact. Not every ACL tear heals the same, and Gurley has highlighted the risk that people often overlook when they see a guy put up big production numbers after coming back from one.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:59 pm

Please not another Gurley thread. I understand that half of the dynasty community are med students, but ugh. So boring and maddening.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:02 pm

DinoDynasty wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:19 pm My two cents as someone who has torn his ACL 3x (all right knee) and my meniscus twice (each side) due to high school and collegiate wrestling, you can return back to 100% with today modern medicine. I probably received a fraction of the care an NFL athlete receives and I have competed in both marathons and iron man races. Gel injections and stem cell treatment has prolonged the life of an athlete ages from where it was years ago. All these injuries were before I was 22 I’m currently 30 and train regularly. My ACL in my right knee is currently torn.

Interesting. A couple of questions?

- Before your current tear -- so, when you were active following your second tear -- are you saying you experienced no stiffness, post-activity pain, etc, basically no 'cost' at all to the knee's performance from the two previous tears?

- Do you think it's coincidence you keep tearing the same knee?
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:23 pm
IZigUZag wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:13 pm
ninotoreS wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:03 pm If my takeaway is correct, then Nick Chubb owners should consider selling him a year or two from now. His collegiate injury was especially severe, mangling all three major ligaments plus additional cartilage damage.
This is a very good point, Guice owners should probably follow suit, as well (less severe injury, but the infection is troubling).
According to Dr. Gene Bramel, that can lead to additional scarring, I believe he said.
If a post-op staph infection around cartilage is left untreated for long enough, septic arthritis can develop. But as Guice's infection was dealt with promptly, it didn't get that far. I for one doubt his post-op infection matters beyond this offseason.

Regardless, insofar as y'all's broader point, the tear itself definitely matters in this context. Even if Guice becomes the star it's hoped he can become, I'm not going to bet on him maintaining elite form past age 27-28, because of the injury. I mean, he could, and so could Chubb, it's possible -- Frank Gore managed it -- but it seems to require winning the genetics lottery.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:47 pm

I’m not sure returning to 100% as a regular dude is the same as returning to 100% as an elite athlete. I’m also certain that running marathons/iron man races is definitely not the same as playing running back.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:38 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:59 pm Please not another Gurley thread. I understand that half of the dynasty community are med students, but ugh. So boring and maddening.
No one is forcing you to read these posts. Feel free to simply ignore them. I'll give you a little hint; if Gurley's name is in the title, the post is probably going to talk about Gurley.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:57 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:17 pm
IZigUZag wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:29 pm

I have Henderson, but Kamara's contact balance is not comparable, IMO. Ro call Henderson's vision great is questionable for me, because it's so often, "hey, there is a massive hole! I think I'll run through that."
Agree to disagree, I think there's a reason he led the nation in number of big plays, yards per carry, yards after contact (by a full 2 yards over any RB in the 2019 class).

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:06 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:03 pm If my takeaway is correct, then Nick Chubb owners should consider selling him a year or two from now. His collegiate injury was especially severe, mangling all three major ligaments plus additional cartilage damage.
This is a very good point, Guice owners should probably follow suit, as well (less severe injury, but the infection is troubling).
:wtf: I roster both. And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about it even before it was pointed out here...
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:13 pm

jetsfan5757 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:06 pm
:wtf: I roster both. And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about it even before it was pointed out here...
Yeah. I mean, who knows. Chubb seems like a genetic freak like AP, in terms of healing. He should not have been playing football again, let alone doing what he did last year, but who knows? The variables this year could be the difference, we don't know. He could make a few weird cuts, or not, get hit a few times there, or not, that could be the difference.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:42 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:07 pm
ArrylT wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:36 pm Just as an FYI this is not the lowest Gurleys value has been.
'16 was disastrous. More than just the 3.2 ypc, I remember published tape study arguing that Gurley couldn't see daylight at the line when it was there. Now McVay has him facing 8 men only 8% of the time, and what a difference that makes.
What Gurley did that year was phenomenal. Constantly faced with defenders in the backfield by the time he secured the ball. His runs for zero yardage were some of the best of his career, the amount of defenders he had to evade and break through. He was probably in the worst offense in nfl history, with the worst oc in nfl history.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:45 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:03 pm The takeaway for me is to not forget about particularly severe past knee injuries, even if in the nearer term the player appears to have fully recovered. Ajayi seems to be another less dramatic example of this. At one point it seemed he and Gurley had put the injury permanently behind them as they posted gaudy NFL box-scores, only for the long-term cost to suddenly become apparent. For Ajayi, overcompensating on his other knee for years likely led to its non-contact ACL tear he suffered last season, and ofc Gurley already has arthritis at age 24.

If my takeaway is correct, then Nick Chubb owners should consider selling him a year or two from now. His collegiate injury was especially severe, mangling all three major ligaments plus additional cartilage damage.
Paging Frank Gore and Thomas Davis.

Every player is different. We can't box them into the same career path.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:49 pm

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:45 pm
ninotoreS wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:03 pm The takeaway for me is to not forget about particularly severe past knee injuries, even if in the nearer term the player appears to have fully recovered. Ajayi seems to be another less dramatic example of this. At one point it seemed he and Gurley had put the injury permanently behind them as they posted gaudy NFL box-scores, only for the long-term cost to suddenly become apparent. For Ajayi, overcompensating on his other knee for years likely led to its non-contact ACL tear he suffered last season, and ofc Gurley already has arthritis at age 24.

If my takeaway is correct, then Nick Chubb owners should consider selling him a year or two from now. His collegiate injury was especially severe, mangling all three major ligaments plus additional cartilage damage.
Paging Frank Gore and Thomas Davis.

Every player is different. We can't box them into the same career path.
We don't even need Frank Gore or Thomas Davis or super genetics. 23 players tear their ACL per year in the NFL plus all of the guys that did it before they got into the league and out of that massive sample we have now two guys who might or might not have their career shortened by it (Gurley hasn't retired yet even though some are talking about him as if he has) and we're acting like that is a significant number?

Maybe Chubb will be like Jay Ajayi/Todd Gurley. Or maybe he'll be like the other 273 guys who tore their ACL over the last 10 years and played the rest of their career like it never happened.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:52 pm

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:42 pm
ninotoreS wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:07 pm
ArrylT wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:36 pm Just as an FYI this is not the lowest Gurleys value has been.
'16 was disastrous. More than just the 3.2 ypc, I remember published tape study arguing that Gurley couldn't see daylight at the line when it was there. Now McVay has him facing 8 men only 8% of the time, and what a difference that makes.
What Gurley did that year was phenomenal. Constantly faced with defenders in the backfield by the time he secured the ball. His runs for zero yardage were some of the best of his career, the amount of defenders he had to evade and break through. He was probably in the worst offense in nfl history, with the worst oc in nfl history.
David Johnson in 2018 would like to have a word with you. :twisted: