Rookie Draft Issue, need some opinions

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Rookie Draft Issue, need some opinions

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:00 pm

pokerplayer1000 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:35 pm
WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:56 am Unless they are in the bylaws, don't allow conditional trades because it gets too messy. If it's not in the bylaws, then this was a handshake agreement which are always a risk in fantasy and in real life.

Question though: in real life, how does the NFL enforce this stuff? What happens if CAR trades McCaffrey to MIA for a 2020 1st, but it becomes a 1st + 2nd if McCaffrey rushes for over 1,500 yards? What if MIA trades away their 2nd round pick, and that scenario happens?
There is nothing in the bylaws about conditional trades, and also the terms of the conditional trade were not made public, only after the draft happened because Owner B felt like the deal was broken.
Then Owner B took a risk, and it didn't pay off. Maybe now they'll be more hesitant about making these types of deals and/or trading with Owner A in general. I think the league needs to move on and discourage these types of trades in the future. Just gets everything messy for little/no gain.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:03 pm

What kind of loser makes a deal like that then trades up ahead of their supposed partner in crime to snipe them, then turns around and complains when the person they just screwed over big time then screws them back. I feel like i'm taking crazy pills.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:17 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:03 pm What kind of loser makes a deal like that then trades up ahead of their supposed partner in crime to snipe them, then turns around and complains when the person they just screwed over big time then screws them back. I feel like i'm taking crazy pills.
"You ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'"
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:18 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:56 pm
pokerplayer1000 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:55 am I also posted this in the commish corner.

To not clutter things, simply stated a trade was made between two owners prior to the start of a rookie draft where Owner A stated they would not take two specific players in the rookie draft at pick 6. The two Owners had a VERY VERY good idea how the first 5 picks would go leading to Owner A getting a certain player with the 6th pick.

On Draft day Owner B traded up from Pick 8 to the 4th pick making a selection. This impacted the draft leaving Owner A without the expected pick at #6 and Owner A then selected one of the two players they said they would not draft with pick #6, thus leaving neither of the two agreed upon players available at pick 9 for Owner B.

My question is, should Owner A have stayed with their agreement despite Owner B trading back up, or did the trade by Owner B void any previous agreements?
So Team B fooled Team A into telling them who they were going to draft. Then, knowing Team A was going to take a player he wanted, Team B traded up ahead of Team A to snipe him. And now that Team B has successfully conned Team A he is mad at Team A? Does this make sense to anyone else?
I think you've got it wrong. Here's my analysis of it:

The condition on the deal was that Team A wouldnt take either of 2 players at #6, both teams expecting the top 5 to go a certain way. Team B then traded up to #4 and threw the expectations off, while still expecting that Team A wouldnt select either of the two players at #6. Now that the draft didnt go as expected and the guys that Team A wanted weren't there at #6, he pivoted and picked one of the players that he told Team B he wouldnt.

The real doofus is Team B, completely relying on Team A to not pick one of the two players he wanted even when Team B traded up and threw off the expectations of both parties.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
QB: MRyan, MJones, CNewton, RFitz
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, JMixon, AJDillon, LMurray, DarWilliams, GBernard
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson
TE: JSmith, ISmith, ZErtz

Team 2 - 16 team, PPR, SF
QB: JBurrow, CWentz, ZWilson, Jimmy G
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, BSnell, TGurley, DGuice
WR: JChase, BAiyuk, CSutton, THiggins, JJeudy, JReagor, BEdwards
TE: ISmith, HarBryant, DSample, TTremble

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:24 pm

If the trade was contingent on not taking 2 specific players, and those players were contingent on the top 5 picks being gone, and then one of those top 5 isn't picked then the contingencies are over.

If it was only contingent on not picking one of the two sure hold him to it and tell him he can either trade the pick or make a different pick. But just realize that the bylaws of the league should be followed. And if this sets precedent make sure it's understood what it is
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

1coldone
Starter
Starter

Postby 1coldone » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:39 pm

This is why the picks should be traded before the draft, enter these at your own risk...lol.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:00 pm

I'm with DD here, if both parties had a fair idea how the first 5 picks would go then team A would have to have known he would shake up the draft. I say the draft stands and they'll both think again about making deals like this on more than a handshake. If it can be proved that team A picked who they both assumed was going to be picked in that spot than maybe Team A has a case.
Both parties are idiots making deal based around assuming who 5 picks would be before theirs, just ridiculous.

pokerplayer1000
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerplayer1000 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:07 am

Chwf3rd wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:18 pm
pokerplayer1000 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:55 am I also posted this in the commish corner.

To not clutter things, simply stated a trade was made between two owners prior to the start of a rookie draft where Owner A stated they would not take two specific players in the rookie draft at pick 6. The two Owners had a VERY VERY good idea how the first 5 picks would go leading to Owner A getting a certain player with the 6th pick.

On Draft day Owner B traded up from Pick 8 to the 4th pick making a selection. This impacted the draft leaving Owner A without the expected pick at #6 and Owner A then selected one of the two players they said they would not draft with pick #6, thus leaving neither of the two agreed upon players available at pick 9 for Owner B.

My question is, should Owner A have stayed with their agreement despite Owner B trading back up, or did the trade by Owner B void any previous agreements?
So Team B fooled Team A into telling them who they were going to draft. Then, knowing Team A was going to take a player he wanted, Team B traded up ahead of Team A to snipe him. And now that Team B has successfully conned Team A he is mad at Team A? Does this make sense to anyone else?
I think you've got it wrong. Here's my analysis of it:

The condition on the deal was that Team A wouldnt take either of 2 players at #6, both teams expecting the top 5 to go a certain way. Team B then traded up to #4 and threw the expectations off, while still expecting that Team A wouldnt select either of the two players at #6. Now that the draft didnt go as expected and the guys that Team A wanted weren't there at #6, he pivoted and picked one of the players that he told Team B he wouldnt.

The real doofus is Team B, completely relying on Team A to not pick one of the two players he wanted even when Team B traded up and threw off the expectations of both parties.
This is pretty much exactly how it went down.
10Team-2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 2FLX 1DL 1LB 1DB
QB: Watson/Lamar/FitzMAGIC
RB: Cook/Jacobs/Kamara/Guice/JWilliams
WR: Kupp/Landry/CRidley/Sutton/Fitz/Campbell/Agholar/Boykin
TE: Henry/Hooper/Fant
DL: Houston/Calias
LB: Littleton/Blake
DB: Walker/Bell
20: 1.02,1.08,2.01,2.05,2.08
21: 2 1sts
-
10Team-2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 2FLX 1 DE,DT,LB,S,CB,FLX,DL/DB
QB: Goff/Stafford/Fitz/Allen/Luck
RB: Zeke/CMC/DJ/Thompson/Barber/Laird
WR: OBJ/Amari/Keenan/Thielen/Fitz/Deebo/Beasley/Boykin/Renfrow/Harmon(TS)
TE: Ebron/Hooper/Vance/Hurst(TS)/Knox(TS)
DE: Jordan/Bosa/Lawerence
DT: Lawerence/Reader
LB: Jaylon/Martinez/Roquan/Campbell
CB: TWhite/King
S: Johnson III/Bell/Jenkins
-
10Team-2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 1DL 1LB 1DB 1FLX
QB: Goff/BigBen/Ryan/Rivers/Minshew
RB: MG3/Kamara/Thompson/AP
WR: Julio/Nuk/Adams/MJones/Fitz/Lazard/Tate/Isabella(TS)/Renfrow(TS)
TE: Ertz/Higbee/Ebron/Vance/Knox
DL: Lawerence/Jones(KC)/Ingram
LB: DWhite/Leonard/Werner
DB: Walker/Humphrey
20: 1.06, 1.10, 2.06

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:18 am

Some fantasy owners are mullets. Better to make these trades on the clock.
caveat emptor
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:05 am

I will tell owners in my league that I’m not drafting a certain player. Then I’ll draft that player.

I’ll tell owners that I’m most likely drafting a certain person, then I’ll pick my real target.

It’s called chess. I play the game to outsmart my competition.

If anyone is dumb enough to make trades based upon who they think I’m drafting or who I said I was drafting, then they can suck on the results.

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:11 am

jordanzs wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:05 am I will tell owners in my league that I’m not drafting a certain player. Then I’ll draft that player.

I’ll tell owners that I’m most likely drafting a certain person, then I’ll pick my real target.

If anyone is dumb enough to make trades based upon who they think I’m drafting or who I said I was drafting, then they can suck on the results.
You play with dip shits if they buy anything you say
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:16 am

TheNuts wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:11 am
jordanzs wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:05 am I will tell owners in my league that I’m not drafting a certain player. Then I’ll draft that player.

You play with dip shits if they buy anything you say
Well that’s the thing. They don’t buy what I say. They’re savvy enough to know that when they pump me for info, I’m not revealing my true poker hand. But if they ask, I still try, with a smile on my face.

And we don’t do guppy things like try to fix the draft with conditional trades.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:34 am

I’m with you and it makes no sense to me. If team B has any gripes, then they need to trade the guy that they sniped team A with at 1.4 and offer that player in a fair package deal to whosever team A ended up “settling” for at 1.6.

This sounds like a case where team B is a savvy shark and team A is a pushover guppy. I would personally be team B but if I moved ahead to snipe team A at 1.4, I would have zero gripes whatsoever about team A changing his draft strategy at 1.6. Nor would I raise a stink so that the commish has to make a decision or seek answers on how to handle.

BlackOmega
All Pro
All Pro

Postby BlackOmega » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:41 pm

this is simply the fantasy football version of caveat emptor

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:14 pm

Upon further review, after reading this:
The two Owners had a VERY VERY good idea how the first 5 picks would go leading to Owner A getting a certain player with the 6th pick.
And then seeing that owner B knowingly swooped into 1.4 to disrupt their understanding of the 1st 5 picks, which would've given Owner A the guy he wanted at 1.6.....that seems like Owner B knew who Owner A wanted at 1.6 & leapfrogged him on purpose.

If I was owner A, then at 1.6, I would go out of my way to snag the 2 guys that Owner B wanted at 1.9. Hell, I would take one of them at 1.6 and then try hard to trade to 1.7 to take the other guy.

Crazy that this is an issue in your league. They both deserve what they got in the end.