What should roster size be for a 10 team league?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

How many players should we roster?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:27 pm

3%
No votes
No votes
3%
3%
26%
3%
No votes
3%
No votes
58%

Total votes: 31

palevermilion
Role Player
Role Player

Re: What should roster size be for a 10 team league?

Postby palevermilion » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:16 am

Kcarr wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:11 am I am a fan of the idea of making rosters as deep as the rest of the league will allow. This makes the waiver wire less valuable and therefore makes drafting and trading the only real ways to improve your team and therefore much more important
100% agree, and that was my intention when I originally set up the league (I've since stepped down as commissioner). One of the arguments for making rosters smaller is that it would require more strategy, but honestly it's a point I just don't understand. I can understand it being a preference, but to me it takes more strategy to pick out long term sleepers and trade/draft for players to build your team around than it does being able to hit the waiver wire before other teams can to get those players.

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:48 pm

UnitedLoon wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:16 am
Kcarr wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:11 am I am a fan of the idea of making rosters as deep as the rest of the league will allow. This makes the waiver wire less valuable and therefore makes drafting and trading the only real ways to improve your team and therefore much more important
100% agree, and that was my intention when I originally set up the league (I've since stepped down as commissioner). One of the arguments for making rosters smaller is that it would require more strategy, but honestly it's a point I just don't understand. I can understand it being a preference, but to me it takes more strategy to pick out long term sleepers and trade/draft for players to build your team around than it does being able to hit the waiver wire before other teams can to get those players.
Ok, then increase starting requirements for the league to make up for 2 less teams. Maybe add 2 extra flex plays? Make sure it's SF.
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

palevermilion
Role Player
Role Player

Postby palevermilion » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:42 pm

TheNuts wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:48 pm
UnitedLoon wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:16 am
Ok, then increase starting requirements for the league to make up for 2 less teams. Maybe add 2 extra flex plays? Make sure it's SF.
It's already 2QB.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:30 pm

If it's a league for friends, keep it manageable.

If it's for dyansty managers, expand to 16 teams and roster a total of at least 425 players.

pokerplayer1000
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerplayer1000 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:04 am

As you can see from my sig, and in a similar boat as you, some local leagues with friends so a lot of 10 man leagues. All of the leagues have IDP.

Team 1 is just start one of each for IDP and we use 28 man rosters...but it is also 2qb/2rb/3wr/1te/2flex/1dl/1lb/1db so 13 total starters.

Team 2 has the same offensive setup but we start 1dt, 1de, 1lb, 1cb, 1s, then 1 pure idp flex and 1 flex(non-lb) so17 total starters and use a 37 man roster.

These are leagues I run and Team 2 has a 3 man TS, Team 1, there is no TS. I like to run with the idea of you need a backup for each spot, plus room for some developmental prospects, which can be TS or extra roster spots.
10Team-2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 2FLX 1DL 1LB 1DB
QB: Watson/Lamar/FitzMAGIC
RB: Cook/Jacobs/Kamara/Guice/JWilliams
WR: Kupp/Landry/CRidley/Sutton/Fitz/Campbell/Agholar/Boykin
TE: Henry/Hooper/Fant
DL: Houston/Calias
LB: Littleton/Blake
DB: Walker/Bell
20: 1.02,1.08,2.01,2.05,2.08
21: 2 1sts
-
10Team-2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 2FLX 1 DE,DT,LB,S,CB,FLX,DL/DB
QB: Goff/Stafford/Fitz/Allen/Luck
RB: Zeke/CMC/DJ/Thompson/Barber/Laird
WR: OBJ/Amari/Keenan/Thielen/Fitz/Deebo/Beasley/Boykin/Renfrow/Harmon(TS)
TE: Ebron/Hooper/Vance/Hurst(TS)/Knox(TS)
DE: Jordan/Bosa/Lawerence
DT: Lawerence/Reader
LB: Jaylon/Martinez/Roquan/Campbell
CB: TWhite/King
S: Johnson III/Bell/Jenkins
-
10Team-2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 1DL 1LB 1DB 1FLX
QB: Goff/BigBen/Ryan/Rivers/Minshew
RB: MG3/Kamara/Thompson/AP
WR: Julio/Nuk/Adams/MJones/Fitz/Lazard/Tate/Isabella(TS)/Renfrow(TS)
TE: Ertz/Higbee/Ebron/Vance/Knox
DL: Lawerence/Jones(KC)/Ingram
LB: DWhite/Leonard/Werner
DB: Walker/Humphrey
20: 1.06, 1.10, 2.06

snaps06
Captain
Captain

Postby snaps06 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:37 pm

Make them as big as you can get them. My shallowest league is Team 2 in my sig, 12 teams and only 17 keepers, with 21 player rosters and 2 IR in-season. This off-season I had to cut Vance McDonald, Gus Edwards, Daesean Hamilton, and Mike Davis. Irritating. Makes our in-season FAAB almost worthless for the good teams because half the time we have to cut who we added, even though they may still have some value.
Team 1: 12-Team 0.5 PPR '16 & '17 3rd, '20 2nd Place
REBUILD STARTED 2019
QB RB RB WR WR TE Flex Flex Flex
Kyler,Stafford,Herbert
Zeke,Sanders,Swift,Moss,Robinson,Mattison,Gio
Cooper,Juju,AJB,Reagor,Ruggs,Mims,Kirk,Bateman,Moore
Kelce,Henry
2022: 2,3,4

Team 2: 12-Team 0.5 PPR '17 & '20 2nd Place
QB RB RB WR WR TE Flex Flex
Rodgers,Stafford
Zeke,Conner,Robinson,Dillon,CEvans,Mattison,Edmonds,Davis
Hopkins,Thomas,Woods,Cooks,Toney,MWilliams,
Kittle,Henry,Freier
2022:1,1,2,3,4

Team 3: 14-Team SF,PPR,0.25/rush '18 3rd Place, 2020 Champ :dance:
QB RB RB WR WR TE Flex Flex Flex SFlex
Cousins,Kyler,Carr,Trask
Jacobs,Gibson,Robinson,LMurray,Ingram,Moss,Gio,SScott
Evans,Nuk,DJM,Boyd,Davis
Fant,Hooper,Gronk
2022:2,4
2023:1,1,2,3,4

Team 4: 12-TeamSF,0.5PPR,TE1PPR 2020 Champ :dance:
QB RB RB WR WR WR TE FLEX FLEX SFlex
Allen,Tanny,Cam,MacJones
Taylor,Akers,Montgomery,Gibson,Robinson,Harris,McKissic,SScott
DKM,Evans,Juju,Cooks,MWilliams,Trequan
Engram,Hurst,Gronk,Long

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:05 am

snaps06 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:37 pm Make them as big as you can get them. My shallowest league is Team 2 in my sig, 12 teams and only 17 keepers, with 21 player rosters and 2 IR in-season. This off-season I had to cut Vance McDonald, Gus Edwards, Daesean Hamilton, and Mike Davis. Irritating. Makes our in-season FAAB almost worthless for the good teams because half the time we have to cut who we added, even though they may still have some value.
I see it the opposite way. It makes your in-season FAAB worth more because you can pick up useable assets off the WW and plug them into your lineup with bye weeks + injuries stacking up during the season.

palevermilion
Role Player
Role Player

Postby palevermilion » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:06 pm

IBall2 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:05 am
snaps06 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:37 pm Make them as big as you can get them. My shallowest league is Team 2 in my sig, 12 teams and only 17 keepers, with 21 player rosters and 2 IR in-season. This off-season I had to cut Vance McDonald, Gus Edwards, Daesean Hamilton, and Mike Davis. Irritating. Makes our in-season FAAB almost worthless for the good teams because half the time we have to cut who we added, even though they may still have some value.
I see it the opposite way. It makes your in-season FAAB worth more because you can pick up useable assets off the WW and plug them into your lineup with bye weeks + injuries stacking up during the season.
He did say "for the good teams", and I can definitely see that. Nothing worse than having to cut a player you want to keep because benches are shallow. Also, in dynasty I feel like if you're able to pick up startable assets off waivers every week it's just a glorified keeper league at that point. It punishes the deep teams and rewards those who have weak teams IMO.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:37 pm

I'd caution you if you think more on waivers helps the weaker teams.

Good owners thrive with small rosters from my experiences. There is constant value at their expense and they take advantage.

snaps06
Captain
Captain

Postby snaps06 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:45 pm

UnitedLoon wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:06 pm
IBall2 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:05 am
He did say "for the good teams", and I can definitely see that. Nothing worse than having to cut a player you want to keep because benches are shallow. Also, in dynasty I feel like if you're able to pick up startable assets off waivers every week it's just a glorified keeper league at that point. It punishes the deep teams and rewards those who have weak teams IMO.
Exactly. I spent all my FAAB this year on players that should be keepers, but aren't good enough for my roster. I was able to find plenty of plug and play guys and use them, but isn't the point of dynasty to build the strongest and deepest team? Guys that I've dropped during roster cutdowns in the past have been rookie/FA 2nd round draft picks, and nobody would trade me a pick for them because they knew I'd have to drop them anyways.

palevermilion
Role Player
Role Player

Postby palevermilion » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:12 pm

sloth8u wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:37 pm I'd caution you if you think more on waivers helps the weaker teams.

Good owners thrive with small rosters from my experiences. There is constant value at their expense and they take advantage.
Good owners thrive regardless of roster size. But a stronger team having to cut a possible startable asset doesn't help their team, but it does potentially help the a weaker team. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying, but the question isn't "good vs. bad owner", it's "stronger vs. weaker roster". A good owner can have a weaker roster for various reasons (injury, rebuild, etc).

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:36 pm

A good owner doesnt typically cut because he's/she's already moved that "waiver guy".

Ask around.... If a guy's worth a 1st...you sell him. Imagine the waiver claims an/some owners could bank.

Waivers does play a part in this discuss, but it works both ways. I own several picks and some very valuable just by trading waivers claims...make your argument, but the finality of it is.....some owners can claim the likes of lindsay and bank by moving him and others will hold and hope he's the real deal. The opportunity is equal for all.

Roster cuts are tough, but owners that are advangeous will mine the field and reap the rewards.

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:59 am

Lot of personal preference is what it comes down to. Can argue it to death.

Some people hate having to cut guys. Some people enjoy the process of working the roster reqs and agonizing over cuts.

Some guys will want useable players on the wire. Some won’t.

Me, I like variance here, so I play in a few leagues with differing settings.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:16 pm

30 is the minimum. Optimally I'd say closer to 35, but I prefer the wire to be pretty bare.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2