What should roster size be for a 10 team league?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

How many players should we roster?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:27 pm

20
1
3%
21
0
No votes
22
0
No votes
23
1
3%
24
1
3%
25
8
26%
26
1
3%
27
0
No votes
28
1
3%
29
0
No votes
30
18
58%
 
Total votes: 31

User avatar
UnitedLoon
Role Player
Role Player
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:24 pm
Location: Hudson, Wisconsin

Re: What should roster size be for a 10 team league?

Postby UnitedLoon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:16 am

Kcarr wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:11 am
I am a fan of the idea of making rosters as deep as the rest of the league will allow. This makes the waiver wire less valuable and therefore makes drafting and trading the only real ways to improve your team and therefore much more important
100% agree, and that was my intention when I originally set up the league (I've since stepped down as commissioner). One of the arguments for making rosters smaller is that it would require more strategy, but honestly it's a point I just don't understand. I can understand it being a preference, but to me it takes more strategy to pick out long term sleepers and trade/draft for players to build your team around than it does being able to hit the waiver wire before other teams can to get those players.

TheNuts
Role Player
Role Player
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 4:56 am

Re: What should roster size be for a 10 team league?

Postby TheNuts » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:48 pm

UnitedLoon wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:16 am
Kcarr wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:11 am
I am a fan of the idea of making rosters as deep as the rest of the league will allow. This makes the waiver wire less valuable and therefore makes drafting and trading the only real ways to improve your team and therefore much more important
100% agree, and that was my intention when I originally set up the league (I've since stepped down as commissioner). One of the arguments for making rosters smaller is that it would require more strategy, but honestly it's a point I just don't understand. I can understand it being a preference, but to me it takes more strategy to pick out long term sleepers and trade/draft for players to build your team around than it does being able to hit the waiver wire before other teams can to get those players.
Ok, then increase starting requirements for the league to make up for 2 less teams. Maybe add 2 extra flex plays? Make sure it's SF.

User avatar
UnitedLoon
Role Player
Role Player
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:24 pm
Location: Hudson, Wisconsin

Re: What should roster size be for a 10 team league?

Postby UnitedLoon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:42 pm

TheNuts wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:48 pm
UnitedLoon wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:16 am
Kcarr wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:11 am
I am a fan of the idea of making rosters as deep as the rest of the league will allow. This makes the waiver wire less valuable and therefore makes drafting and trading the only real ways to improve your team and therefore much more important
100% agree, and that was my intention when I originally set up the league (I've since stepped down as commissioner). One of the arguments for making rosters smaller is that it would require more strategy, but honestly it's a point I just don't understand. I can understand it being a preference, but to me it takes more strategy to pick out long term sleepers and trade/draft for players to build your team around than it does being able to hit the waiver wire before other teams can to get those players.
Ok, then increase starting requirements for the league to make up for 2 less teams. Maybe add 2 extra flex plays? Make sure it's SF.
It's already 2QB.

User avatar
Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2788
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:02 am

Re: What should roster size be for a 10 team league?

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:30 pm

If it's a league for friends, keep it manageable.

If it's for dyansty managers, expand to 16 teams and roster a total of at least 425 players.

pokerplayer1000
All Pro
All Pro
Posts: 1703
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:23 am

Re: What should roster size be for a 10 team league?

Postby pokerplayer1000 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:04 am

As you can see from my sig, and in a similar boat as you, some local leagues with friends so a lot of 10 man leagues. All of the leagues have IDP.

Team 1 is just start one of each for IDP and we use 28 man rosters...but it is also 2qb/2rb/3wr/1te/2flex/1dl/1lb/1db so 13 total starters.

Team 2 has the same offensive setup but we start 1dt, 1de, 1lb, 1cb, 1s, then 1 pure idp flex and 1 flex(non-lb) so17 total starters and use a 37 man roster.

These are leagues I run and Team 2 has a 3 man TS, Team 1, there is no TS. I like to run with the idea of you need a backup for each spot, plus room for some developmental prospects, which can be TS or extra roster spots.
10Team-2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 2FLX 1DL 1LB 1DB
QB: Watson/Lamar/FitzMAGIC
RB: Cook/Jacobs/Kamara/Guice/JWilliams
WR: Kupp/Landry/CRidley/Sutton/Fitz/Campbell/Agholar/Boykin
TE: Henry/Hooper/Fant
DL: Houston/Calias
LB: Littleton/Blake
DB: Walker/Bell
20: 1.02,1.08,2.01,2.05,2.08
21: 2 1sts
-
10Team-2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 2FLX 1 DE,DT,LB,S,CB,FLX,DL/DB
QB: Goff/Stafford/Fitz/Allen/Luck
RB: Zeke/CMC/DJ/Thompson/Barber/Laird
WR: OBJ/Amari/Keenan/Thielen/Fitz/Deebo/Beasley/Boykin/Renfrow/Harmon(TS)
TE: Ebron/Hooper/Vance/Hurst(TS)/Knox(TS)
DE: Jordan/Bosa/Lawerence
DT: Lawerence/Reader
LB: Jaylon/Martinez/Roquan/Campbell
CB: TWhite/King
S: Johnson III/Bell/Jenkins
-
10Team-2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 1DL 1LB 1DB 1FLX
QB: Goff/BigBen/Ryan/Rivers/Minshew
RB: MG3/Kamara/Thompson/AP
WR: Julio/Nuk/Adams/MJones/Fitz/Lazard/Tate/Isabella(TS)/Renfrow(TS)
TE: Ertz/Higbee/Ebron/Vance/Knox
DL: Lawerence/Jones(KC)/Ingram
LB: DWhite/Leonard/Werner
DB: Walker/Humphrey
20: 1.06, 1.10, 2.06

User avatar
snaps06
Captain
Captain
Posts: 795
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:08 pm

Re: What should roster size be for a 10 team league?

Postby snaps06 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:37 pm

Make them as big as you can get them. My shallowest league is Team 2 in my sig, 12 teams and only 17 keepers, with 21 player rosters and 2 IR in-season. This off-season I had to cut Vance McDonald, Gus Edwards, Daesean Hamilton, and Mike Davis. Irritating. Makes our in-season FAAB almost worthless for the good teams because half the time we have to cut who we added, even though they may still have some value.
Team 1: 12-Team 0.5 PPR '16 & '17 3rd Place
REBUILDING 2019
QB RB RB WR WR TE Flex Flex Flex
Kyler,Stafford
Duke,Gio,Yeldon,Mattison,Snell
Cooper,Juju,Godwin,AJB,Kirk,Washington
Henry,Andrews,Everett
2020 Picks: 5,8,12,15,18,24,25,27,29,32
2021: 1,2,2,2,2,3,4,5

Team 2: 12-Team 0.5 PPR '17 2nd Place
QB RB RB WR WR TE Flex Flex
Rodgers,Stafford
Zeke,Conner,Bell,Dillon,Duke,Mattison,Edmonds
Hopkins,Thomas,Cooks,Watkins,MWilliams,Claypool
Kittle,Henry

Team 3: 14-Team SF,PPR,0.25/rush '18 3rd Place
QB RB RB WR WR TE Flex Flex Flex SFlex
Cousins,Kyler,Hoyer
Zeke,LMurray,Ingram,Scarborough,Gio,BHill
Evans,DJMoore,Watkins,Boyd,Davis,Lazard
Fant,McDonald,Fells

Team 4: 16-Team, 6 pt all TD,PPR Startup 2019
QB RB RB WR WR TE FLEX FLEX
Stafford,Tanny,Stidham
KJ,Jacobs,RFreeman,Mattison,BHill
DJMoore,Lockett,Watkins,Isabella,Washington,Ross,Perriman
Howard,Herndon,Fells
2020 Picks: 6,9,10
2021:1,1,2,2,3,4

User avatar
IBall2
All Pro
All Pro
Posts: 1570
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:28 pm

Re: What should roster size be for a 10 team league?

Postby IBall2 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:05 am

snaps06 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:37 pm
Make them as big as you can get them. My shallowest league is Team 2 in my sig, 12 teams and only 17 keepers, with 21 player rosters and 2 IR in-season. This off-season I had to cut Vance McDonald, Gus Edwards, Daesean Hamilton, and Mike Davis. Irritating. Makes our in-season FAAB almost worthless for the good teams because half the time we have to cut who we added, even though they may still have some value.
I see it the opposite way. It makes your in-season FAAB worth more because you can pick up useable assets off the WW and plug them into your lineup with bye weeks + injuries stacking up during the season.

User avatar
UnitedLoon
Role Player
Role Player
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:24 pm
Location: Hudson, Wisconsin

Re: What should roster size be for a 10 team league?

Postby UnitedLoon » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:06 pm

IBall2 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:05 am
snaps06 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:37 pm
Make them as big as you can get them. My shallowest league is Team 2 in my sig, 12 teams and only 17 keepers, with 21 player rosters and 2 IR in-season. This off-season I had to cut Vance McDonald, Gus Edwards, Daesean Hamilton, and Mike Davis. Irritating. Makes our in-season FAAB almost worthless for the good teams because half the time we have to cut who we added, even though they may still have some value.
I see it the opposite way. It makes your in-season FAAB worth more because you can pick up useable assets off the WW and plug them into your lineup with bye weeks + injuries stacking up during the season.
He did say "for the good teams", and I can definitely see that. Nothing worse than having to cut a player you want to keep because benches are shallow. Also, in dynasty I feel like if you're able to pick up startable assets off waivers every week it's just a glorified keeper league at that point. It punishes the deep teams and rewards those who have weak teams IMO.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate
Posts: 7923
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:18 pm

Re: What should roster size be for a 10 team league?

Postby sloth8u » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:37 pm

I'd caution you if you think more on waivers helps the weaker teams.

Good owners thrive with small rosters from my experiences. There is constant value at their expense and they take advantage.

User avatar
snaps06
Captain
Captain
Posts: 795
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:08 pm

Re: What should roster size be for a 10 team league?

Postby snaps06 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:45 pm

UnitedLoon wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:06 pm
IBall2 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:05 am
snaps06 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:37 pm
Make them as big as you can get them. My shallowest league is Team 2 in my sig, 12 teams and only 17 keepers, with 21 player rosters and 2 IR in-season. This off-season I had to cut Vance McDonald, Gus Edwards, Daesean Hamilton, and Mike Davis. Irritating. Makes our in-season FAAB almost worthless for the good teams because half the time we have to cut who we added, even though they may still have some value.
I see it the opposite way. It makes your in-season FAAB worth more because you can pick up useable assets off the WW and plug them into your lineup with bye weeks + injuries stacking up during the season.
He did say "for the good teams", and I can definitely see that. Nothing worse than having to cut a player you want to keep because benches are shallow. Also, in dynasty I feel like if you're able to pick up startable assets off waivers every week it's just a glorified keeper league at that point. It punishes the deep teams and rewards those who have weak teams IMO.
Exactly. I spent all my FAAB this year on players that should be keepers, but aren't good enough for my roster. I was able to find plenty of plug and play guys and use them, but isn't the point of dynasty to build the strongest and deepest team? Guys that I've dropped during roster cutdowns in the past have been rookie/FA 2nd round draft picks, and nobody would trade me a pick for them because they knew I'd have to drop them anyways.

User avatar
UnitedLoon
Role Player
Role Player
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:24 pm
Location: Hudson, Wisconsin

Re: What should roster size be for a 10 team league?

Postby UnitedLoon » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:12 pm

sloth8u wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:37 pm
I'd caution you if you think more on waivers helps the weaker teams.

Good owners thrive with small rosters from my experiences. There is constant value at their expense and they take advantage.
Good owners thrive regardless of roster size. But a stronger team having to cut a possible startable asset doesn't help their team, but it does potentially help the a weaker team. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying, but the question isn't "good vs. bad owner", it's "stronger vs. weaker roster". A good owner can have a weaker roster for various reasons (injury, rebuild, etc).

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate
Posts: 7923
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:18 pm

Re: What should roster size be for a 10 team league?

Postby sloth8u » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:36 pm

A good owner doesnt typically cut because he's/she's already moved that "waiver guy".

Ask around.... If a guy's worth a 1st...you sell him. Imagine the waiver claims an/some owners could bank.


Waivers does play a part in this discuss, but it works both ways. I own several picks and some very valuable just by trading waivers claims...make your argument, but the finality of it is.....some owners can claim the likes of lindsay and bank by moving him and others will hold and hope he's the real deal. The opportunity is equal for all.

Roster cuts are tough, but owners that are advangeous will mine the field and reap the rewards.

honcho55
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler
Posts: 1083
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:45 pm

Re: What should roster size be for a 10 team league?

Postby honcho55 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:59 am

Lot of personal preference is what it comes down to. Can argue it to death.

Some people hate having to cut guys. Some people enjoy the process of working the roster reqs and agonizing over cuts.

Some guys will want useable players on the wire. Some won’t.

Me, I like variance here, so I play in a few leagues with differing settings.
my main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
14 team
start 1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT. keep 20 *adding SF and more keepers 2021

QB: Wilson, Dak, Herbert
RB: E Elliot, J Taylor, JK Dobbins, T Coleman, N Bellore
WR: J Smith-Schuster, M Thomas, AJ Brown, A Cooper, M Pittman, A Miller, K Coutee, S Sims
TE. T Kelce, I Thomas, M Gesicki, A Okwugbunam

Futures
2021: 1, 1, 2, 3, 4
2022: 1, 1, 1, 2, 3
2023: 1, 1, 3, 4, 5

User avatar
Orenthal Shames
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame
Posts: 3600
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:13 pm

Re: What should roster size be for a 10 team league?

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:16 pm

30 is the minimum. Optimally I'd say closer to 35, but I prefer the wire to be pretty bare.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 man rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19 Champion

QB: Rivers, Stidham
RB: Kamara, Sanders, Murray, Scott, Kelley
WR: Julio, Hill, OBJ, Keenan, Hamler
TE: Kelce, Kittle


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: joeya2001, robar12 and 76 guests