Points for first down league

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Finfansteve
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Points for first down league

Postby Finfansteve » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:33 pm

jordanzs wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:28 am 30 years is a long time!

My 1st dynasty league was in 2009. And still going strong. We have some things about the league that some of us would've liked to change. So we started a new league with those changes a few years back.

Some of us would like to do superflex. I would love to do .5ppr/.5ppfd. Rather than change our existing league (which does benefit some teams more than others), we will figure out everything on our wish list & launch another league.

But if everyone in your league is cool with the sudden switch, then ok I guess you'll enjoy rolling with the changes.

Plain & simple:

If QBs get points for rushing 1st downs, then grab QBs who run the ball. Murray, LJax, Josh Allen, etc. They will give you a solid baseline of points. Cam & Russell Wilson would've been gold in the past. Read the tea leaves for 2019, and trade accordingly. I would try to get a few of them as they may be volatile due to injury. And once your leaguemates catch on, they will come to you with trade offers.

RBs: Upgrade RBs like Derek Henry. And guys like (the past version of) Jordan Howard, Alfred Morris, Jeremy Hill, Jonathan Stewart, etc. They gain value relative to PPR. Downgrade RBs like James White. Downgrade the 3rd down backs. But if you have a guy like (the past version of) Alfred Morris, be ready to trade at the end of the year if you feel a downturn is coming.

WRs: Studs are still studs. But you can downgrade guys like Jarvis Landry. And upgrade the big play guys (like Desean Jackson in his prime). They gain in value because you've downgraded the PPR machines.

RBs versus WRs: RBs as a whole should gain on WRs. I ran the numbers a few years ago: In PPR, Antonio Brown lead year in skill player scoring. In PPFD, Demarco Murray was the #1 player that year. And most of the RBs gained on value versus the WRs. If your league allows 2RB/3WR/1TE/1Flex, then your optimum lineup is 3RB/3WR/1TE. draft or trade your studs accordingly.

TEs: Workhorse TEs like Kelce, Kittle, Ertz gain on value a lot more versus the mid-level TEs. I remember a few years back I had a matchup against someone who owned Dennis Pitta. He got 8 receptions for 32 years. And our league gave a 2 point bonus to TEs who caught 5+ receptions. So Pitta's 32 yards & no TDs scored 13.2 points against me. It was stupid. Your league will now penalize the Pittas of the world.

Hope that helps.
So jordanzs with your rb vs wr analysis you say RBs catch up to WRs so say I’ve been offered joe mixon for Juju should I take it?
We start two RBs and he’d be either my 2nd or 3rd rb depending who you talk to and if I traded juju I’d have to move cooks into a starting wr slot
Qb: Hurts, geno Smith
Rb: JT, Gibbs, Montgomery, Roschon, Z. White, Ty Chandler
Wr: AJB, JJ, Chase, waddle, G Wilson
TE: Pitts, Kincaid, Likely, Njoku

2024 1.01, 1.04, 1.05
10 team
9 players kept yearly
Non PPR
Not super flex
Start 1/1/2/1/2 flex
1 point per first down
All tds 6 points

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:02 pm

jordanzs wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:23 pm And regarding the QB .125/-.125 wrinkle, think about 2 different QBs:

QB A: 20 for 26, 330 yards, 3TDs
QB B: 15 for 40, 330 yards, 3TDs

One QB gets a high passer rating and a pro bowl invite. The other is blake bortles and gets replaced.

I’m a fan of QBA scoring more fantasy points than QB B

You can go more aggressive as well by going .2/-.2 or .25/-.25

If I was going to give QBs a point for rushing first downs, i would go a bit more aggressive on this to reward the Peyton Manning style efficient picking passing studs
Chris expressed concerns about Captain checkdown types. While Eli hasn't been a comp % marvel in his time, last season he probably benefited from this scoring system quite a bit, despite being terrible?

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:15 am

If the major concern is that scoring by rushing QBs will be artificially inflated, then the solution is pretty simple: just reward passing first downs as well. Not at the same level as rushing/receiving first downs, obviously, but 40% of that should do the trick, similar to how passing yards are rewarded at a lower rate than rushing/receiving yards.

My friend and I were pushing for PPFD scoring a couple years ago, so we cloned the league on MFL and set it for .5 per rushing/receiving 1st and .2 per passing 1st. When we looked at the previous year’s stats with that scoring, it seemed to be just right. A few players moved up or down a spot or two, but there weren’t any drastic changes in rankings, either within positions or between positions.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:09 am

M-Dub wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:15 am If the major concern is that scoring by rushing QBs will be artificially inflated, then the solution is pretty simple: just reward passing first downs as well. Not at the same level as rushing/receiving first downs, obviously, but 40% of that should do the trick, similar to how passing yards are rewarded at a lower rate than rushing/receiving yards.

My friend and I were pushing for PPFD scoring a couple years ago, so we cloned the league on MFL and set it for .5 per rushing/receiving 1st and .2 per passing 1st. When we looked at the previous year’s stats with that scoring, it seemed to be just right. A few players moved up or down a spot or two, but there weren’t any drastic changes in rankings, either within positions or between positions.
I *think* the issue they were concerned with was the overvaluing of QBs in PPFD rushing.

Removing PPR doesn't affect QBs. So they're punts don't go down. Adding PPFD rushing gives QBs more points. It gives the running QBs even more points. Adding passing PPFD would push them even higher.