Points for first down league

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Finfansteve
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Points for first down league

Postby Finfansteve » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:45 pm

My dynasty league just voted to go from a standard scoring league to players getting a point per first down. I’ve played in PPR leagues for years and know who to draft based on that scoring system but points for first down I can’t wrap my head around who becomes more important in those kinds of leagues. Do the studs like Julio and Zeke etc retain their value compared to other players or do the PPR guys like sproles and Jarvis etc become more valuable in a system like this? Has anyone ever been in a league with point per first down scoring? I just can’t figure out what kind of player benefits from scoring like this, who gets hurt, or if it’s just a wash and keep drafting who I’d draft anyhow.
Anyone who has played this format in the past I appreciate any help you can get me. Thanks!
Qb: Hurts, geno Smith
Rb: JT, Gibbs, Montgomery, Roschon, Z. White, Ty Chandler
Wr: AJB, JJ, Chase, waddle, G Wilson
TE: Pitts, Kincaid, Likely, Njoku

2024 1.01, 1.04, 1.05
10 team
9 players kept yearly
Non PPR
Not super flex
Start 1/1/2/1/2 flex
1 point per first down
All tds 6 points

derekhiny
Captain
Captain

Re: Points for first down league

Postby derekhiny » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:26 pm

I assume this means point per 1st down reception, and not just point per first down? Not to be stupid, but a little difference there, as one means a RB or QB can get a point for rushing for a 1st down. If reception, I play in one PPFDR. I've found that not much changes on the stud WR side. Most of their receptions are going for 12+ yards and resulting in 1st downs anyways, so they'll still keep gaining the point for the catch like normal ppr. RBs take a hit as compared to normal PPR, due to not getting the point for 3 yard dump offs anymore. Or catches that lose yards, for that matter ... the biggest problem with regular PPR. So TDs def become more prevalent on that side. Your 2 down RB who gets the goal line touches gains value again. Whereas, the PPR RB who garners most of his value with receptions, while offering little rushing or TD potential, loses value.

Overall, I continue to draft WRs pretty much as normal. I avoid the Cohens, Theo Riddicks, etc on the RB side.
Last edited by derekhiny on Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
12 Team Full Point PPR / IDP

QB - A-Rod, Russ Wilson, Lamar Jax,
RB - Zeke, DJ, Ingram, J Howard, Penny, Ware
WR - Nuk, Julio, D Adams, Cooks, A Cooper, Kirk, E Sanders, Albert Wilson, Deon Cain, Brandon Powell, Lasley
TE - Kittle, Delanie, Goedert, Brate, Eifert, Shaheen
DE - Hunter, Melvin Ingram, JPP, Fowler, Nassib, Golden, Turay
LB - Keuchley, Telvin, Deion Jones, Fred Warner
DB - Bates, John Johnson, McDougald, Justin Reid, Geathers, R Harrison, Whitehead

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:27 pm

If you did it on MFL, you should be able to look at the 2018 players stats, which should be based on your league scoring set up, so going through those should give you an idea. Whenever I join a league, I always look at those, as each league has different scoring set ups.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Finfansteve
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Finfansteve » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:37 pm

derekhiny wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:26 pm I assume this means point per 1st down reception, and not just point per first down? Not to be stupid, but a little difference there, as one means a RB or QB can get a point for rushing for a 1st down. If reception, I play in one PPFDR. I've found that not much changes on the stud WR side. Most of their receptions are going for 12+ yards and resulting in 1st downs anyways, so they'll still keep gaining the point for the catch like normal ppr. RBs take a hit as compared to normal PPR, due to not getting the point for 3 yard dump offs anymore. Or catches that lose yards, for that matter ... the biggest problem with regular PPR. So TDs def become more prevalent on that side. Your 2 down RB who gets the goal line touches gains value again. Whereas, the PPR RB who garners most of his value with receptions, while offering little rushing or TD potential, loses value.

Overall, I continue to draft WRs pretty much as normal. I avoid the Cohens, Theo Riddicks, etc on the RB side.
They voted to give a point per first down no matter if it’s by run, catch, or pass.

I’ve never heard of such scoring and can’t figure out how to weigh players now while pondering trades and the draft will be a whole new learning experience.

2024 1.01, 1.04, 1.05
10 team
9 players kept yearly
Non PPR
Not super flex
Start 1/1/2/1/2 flex
1 point per first down
All tds 6 points

Finfansteve
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Finfansteve » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:38 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:27 pm If you did it on MFL, you should be able to look at the 2018 players stats, which should be based on your league scoring set up, so going through those should give you an idea. Whenever I join a league, I always look at those, as each league has different scoring set ups.
We are on myfantasyleague.com.

I’ll have to look to see if I can find stats from last year pertaining to first downs

2024 1.01, 1.04, 1.05
10 team
9 players kept yearly
Non PPR
Not super flex
Start 1/1/2/1/2 flex
1 point per first down
All tds 6 points

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:46 pm

Finfansteve wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:38 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:27 pm If you did it on MFL, you should be able to look at the 2018 players stats, which should be based on your league scoring set up, so going through those should give you an idea. Whenever I join a league, I always look at those, as each league has different scoring set ups.
We are on myfantasyleague.com.

I’ll have to look to see if I can find stats from last year pertaining to first downs
Yeah, I don't know it it has that stat, but if not, it SHOULD still be represented in their overall point totals, so it should at least give you a basic idea of what players are to be valued where.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Finfansteve
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Finfansteve » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:02 am

Gentlemen,

Thanks for helping out with your experiences with this type of scoring I appreciate the input. I have a nice base team already I’m just trying to figure out a draft strategy.
Thanks!

2024 1.01, 1.04, 1.05
10 team
9 players kept yearly
Non PPR
Not super flex
Start 1/1/2/1/2 flex
1 point per first down
All tds 6 points

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:08 am

A fellow FFB buddy and I put together a scoring system like this before. Point for 1st down for RB/WR/TE. No PPR. Here are the player stats if you want to check it out:

https://www57.myfantasyleague.com/2019/ ... 74541&O=08

Finfansteve
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Finfansteve » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:08 pm

Lumps wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:08 am A fellow FFB buddy and I put together a scoring system like this before. Point for 1st down for RB/WR/TE. No PPR. Here are the player stats if you want to check it out:

Lumps

I totally appreciate this this is exactly what I was looking for. It looks like not many surprise players sneak up under this kind of scoring. A few surprises like Dak being so high but other than that the top 100 looks pretty much like a regular scoring system would look like.

Muchas gracias!

2024 1.01, 1.04, 1.05
10 team
9 players kept yearly
Non PPR
Not super flex
Start 1/1/2/1/2 flex
1 point per first down
All tds 6 points

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:26 pm

Finfansteve wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:08 pm
Lumps wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:08 am A fellow FFB buddy and I put together a scoring system like this before. Point for 1st down for RB/WR/TE. No PPR. Here are the player stats if you want to check it out:

Lumps

I totally appreciate this this is exactly what I was looking for. It looks like not many surprise players sneak up under this kind of scoring. A few surprises like Dak being so high but other than that the top 100 looks pretty much like a regular scoring system would look like.

Muchas gracias!
Due to WRs getting first downs on a lot of receptions it doesn't change them TOO much, but it DOES stop the screen play that goes for -2 yards from being a +0.8 point play. I think the largest difference you will see is that TEs don't get propped up like they do in PPR. They REALLY suffer.

Finfansteve
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Finfansteve » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:07 pm

So if I have Kittle as my starter should I consider trading him before the rest of the league figures out this system and realizes tight ends get hurt in it or should he retain most of his value in this system? We have to start one tight end but I also have engram and hunter Henry I could start if I’m able to trade Kittle for something worth while?

2024 1.01, 1.04, 1.05
10 team
9 players kept yearly
Non PPR
Not super flex
Start 1/1/2/1/2 flex
1 point per first down
All tds 6 points

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:16 pm

1) draft guys that move the chains. Players like sony michel gain in value. Players like James White lose value.

2). I doubt that the QBs will get the points. Should just be for RB/WR/TE? Rushing or receiving?

3) I like the points per first down concept. However rather than doing 1ppfd and 0ppr, I would like to do .5ppr and .5ppfd

4) I mean this with all sincerity in the world, but it is a TOTAL GUPPY BUSH LEAGUE MOVE to just vote and immediately change the scoring format that could benefit some teams at the expense of others. Unless there was a 2 year ramp up period for teams to adjust and draft their rosters accordingly. From the sound of your post though, it doesn’t sound like something that had a ramp up period? And even then, it should take a 100% vote to pass it

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:05 pm

QBs just get the rushing first downs. That's why they were saying Dak moved up.

I think in the format that stud TEs become more valuable. It's the lesser ones that catch a 5 yard pass and fall down that get devalued. They WERE getting 1.5 points and would then get 33% of that at just 0.5.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:25 pm

Wow! So QBs normally don’t get ppr points. But now they get a point for rushing first downs? Sounds like the commish has LJax, Josh Allen, or Kyler Murray on his roster.

This is the sort of thing that you need to put in pads before the startup draft. Or give a multi-year rampup period before it kicks in (and even then, it’s a bad move).

I would find a new league to be honest

jbz420
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jbz420 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:28 pm

jordanzs wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:25 pm Wow! So QBs normally don’t get ppr points. But now they get a point for rushing first downs? Sounds like the commish has LJax, Josh Allen, or Kyler Murray on his roster.

This is the sort of thing that you need to put in pads before the startup draft. Or give a multi-year rampup period before it kicks in (and even then, it’s a bad move).

I would find a new league to be honest
X2
Broquan off on your mama
QB: Mahomes | Geno | Pickett | Darnold | O'Connell
RB: JT | Swift | Gibson | Rochon
WR: Godwin | Diggs | Kirk | DK | Higgins | Nico | Flowers | Downs
TE: T Hock | Njoku | Mayer | Uncle Will
DL: D Hunter | Hubbard | Young | Allen | Paye | Thibs | Van Ness
LB: ROQUAN | D White | Queen | Edmunds
DB: Poyer | J Johnson | Chinn | Ramsey

2024: 1,2,3,3,4

Cobra Commander
QB: Allen | Fields | Trubisky
RB: Mix | JT | Dobbins | Javonte | Gus
WR: D. Adams | Waddle | Lamb | Sutton | Hollywood | Diontae | Bateman | Mooney | Pickens | Metchie
TE: Hock | Njoku | Knox | Muth
DL: Yannick | Hubbard | Buckner | Sweat | Thibs
LB: White | Brooks | Murray
DB: Jabrill | Rapp | V. Bell | Johnson

2023: 1.12,2.08,2.12,3.12,4.12
League Champs: 2020, 2022 :dance: