"Taxi Squad"

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
wilson
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

"Taxi Squad"

Postby wilson » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:04 pm

What purpose do they serve? Wouldn't it be better to just to open up the roster?
    12 team sf 6 pp passing td ppr tep 1.5 ppr, 3rb 4wr te def k, keep 17, 5 rd draft
      T Lawrence, J Fields, K Murray
        B Hall, J Cook, K Herbert, J Warren, T Spears
          J Jefferson, T Higgins, M Pittman, P Nucua, JSN, Q Johnston, N Collins, M Wilson
              D Goedert, K Pitts, C Kmet
                Tampa, T Bass

hoos89
                Legend
                Legend

Re: "Taxi Squad"

Postby hoos89 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:17 pm

Adds another layer of strategy. Kind of depends how you set it up...for instance they're clearly very useful in contract leagues where you don't have to assign a contract to a player on the taxi squad. If non-playoff rookie draft order is determined by points possible, it can be a place for rebuilding teams to stash production, making taxiable players more valuable to them. Helps promote trading.
                Team 1: 2012-2016
                2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
                2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
                Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
                JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
                Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
                Andrews, McBride, Engram
                IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
                Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
                2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
                2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
                Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
                Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
                J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
                Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
                2024 Picks: 1

Dynasty DeLorean
                Degenerate
                Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:07 pm

derekhiny
                Captain
                Captain

Postby derekhiny » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:48 pm

Agree with above, as far as adding another strategy element and forced trading. We have a 9 player taxi, which is designated by each team at the beginning of the season. Every taxi player is given a draft round tender for trading purposes. 3 players given a 4th, 3 players given a 5th, and 3 players given a 6th (we have 6 rounds to our rookie draft each year). We then allow other teams to poach your taxi players during the season, by making a claim based on the draft tender you assigned to that player. If player is claimed by another team, you may either let the player go for the designated compensation, or you can choose to keep the player. But in order to keep him, you must move him to your active roster. Which will in all likelihood will force you to drop someone from your active roster to create the space necessary to promote said taxi player. It's nothing earth shattering, but it does create a fun wrinkle.
                12 Team Full Point PPR / IDP

QB - A-Rod, Russ Wilson, Lamar Jax,
                RB - Zeke, DJ, Ingram, J Howard, Penny, Ware
                WR - Nuk, Julio, D Adams, Cooks, A Cooper, Kirk, E Sanders, Albert Wilson, Deon Cain, Brandon Powell, Lasley
                TE - Kittle, Delanie, Goedert, Brate, Eifert, Shaheen
                DE - Hunter, Melvin Ingram, JPP, Fowler, Nassib, Golden, Turay
                LB - Keuchley, Telvin, Deion Jones, Fred Warner
                DB - Bates, John Johnson, McDougald, Justin Reid, Geathers, R Harrison, Whitehead

FantasyFreak
                GOAT
                GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:53 pm

wilson wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:04 pm What purpose do they serve? Wouldn't it be better to just to open up the roster?
                My opinion, YES!

The league I commish uses potential points as a draft decider, and we do not have a taxi squad. We have a roster size that allows people to have enough space to house plenty of rookies. Taxi squads can and do get used to hide potential points in a lot of cases, even if it's not malicious. I have seen multiple leagues get very heated over this situation, and I myself actually left a league because the commish was trying to manage my taxi squad for me a few weeks into the year, and he continued to do it all year. As a rebuilder, I wanted to house a max roster plus taxi, and he wanted me to promote taxi players that played decently for a few weeks. In that league, we could only roster the rookies we drafted on taxi, so I was essentially giving up roster space to promote them for a marginal increase in production, that was not even guaranteed going forward. Some people would put a guy like Barkley on a taxi and press for the 1.01 if they are not a contender.

There is really no real need for a taxi squad in my opinion, it causes more problems than it solves from my experience. Just have a deep roster limit. If you decide on a taxi, don't police it, it's not your job or right as a commish to decide who should be promoted, as long as the player qualifies to be on taxi, it's the owners prerogative, but as I said, it gives the option of stashing obvious starters such as Barkley for a guy who wants to tank for another good rookie pick.
                "You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

sloth8u
                Degenerate
                Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:47 pm

Agree with fantasyfreak and op here. I see no reason for them in non contract leagues. The only purpose is to stash production in hopes of a better pick. Additional roster spots allows all league members to roster whomever they want (not just young guys), and prevents owners from leaving productive players taxi'd.

Edit: i am seeing leagues open up the taxi where guys can go back and forth now. Im a big fan of this setting as long as owners are forced to put productive players on active roster if moves can be made. If allowed to keep stashing production....not a fan.

FantasyFreak
                GOAT
                GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:15 pm

sloth8u wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:47 pm Agree with fantasyfreak and op here. I see no reason for them in non contract leagues. The only purpose is to stash production in hopes of a better pick. Additional roster spots allows all league members to roster whomever they want (not just young guys), and prevents owners from leaving productive players taxi'd.

Edit: i am seeing leagues open up the taxi where guys can go back and forth now. Im a big fan of this setting as long as owners are forced to put productive players on active roster if moves can be made. If allowed to keep stashing production....not a fan.

Ultimately, why not just expand the roster the same number of spots the taxi holds? What purpose does it serve to move guys back and forth? Again, a commish forcing guys to move a guy off of taxi leads to problems, because it's a subjective matter to what production and a productive player is. There are no hard lines in the bylaws on this so it can't be enforced without problems.

hoos89
                Legend
                Legend

Postby hoos89 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:33 pm

sloth8u wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:47 pm Agree with fantasyfreak and op here. I see no reason for them in non contract leagues. The only purpose is to stash production in hopes of a better pick. Additional roster spots allows all league members to roster whomever they want (not just young guys), and prevents owners from leaving productive players taxi'd.

I'm of the opinion that allowing for production stashing adds another layer of strategy that helps owners slingshot out of a rebuild and cycles the league a little better. Rewards owners who plan long term. Makes taxiable players more valuable to rebuilding owners and helps facilitate trades. I don't see why it's inherently a bad thing.

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
                Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
                Andrews, McBride, Engram

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
                J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
                Kelce, Dissly, Hooper

FantasyFreak
                GOAT
                GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:54 pm

hoos89 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:33 pm

I'm of the opinion that allowing for production stashing adds another layer of strategy that helps owners slingshot out of a rebuild and cycles the league a little better. Rewards owners who plan long term. Makes taxiable players more valuable to rebuilding owners and helps facilitate trades. I don't see why it's inherently a bad thing.
                Not starting your best players is inherently a bad thing to league integrity in my experience. It's essentially legalized tanking, which I don't want in the league I run, personally. Plenty of ways to get out of rebuild mode without losing on purpose. That's just the way I do it. I understand what you are saying, I have just had too many cases of negative issues with taxi squads in the past.

MrUbuto
                Ring of Fame
                Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:25 pm

In my league taxi squads are potentially unlimited. As long as the player was drafted in the first 2 rounds and has never been activated they can stay there for 2 years.

Makes rookie picks extra valuebale.
                QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
                RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
                WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
                TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
                K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
                Def - ARI DAL
                [rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
                7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

sloth8u
                Degenerate
                Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:49 am

hoos89 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:33 pm

We'll have to agree to disagree here.

If your opinion is that owner X lands 1.1 because he's stashed gurley, zeke, lenny, and barkley on his taxi....i just wont be able to understand that setting/rule and how leaguemates find that acceptable.

I see it, ive done it....but saying that its good for the league, and facilitates trades is nearly laughable imo. I'll mention it here as i did when parting ways from a league a few yrs back. If you want to tank...trade your players to an owner who wants to play them, dont leave them taxi'd. Maybe the team wouldnt be crap if an owner was actually trying to win games.

To each their own when it comes to the taxi, but as already mentioned....there is no way to gauge who should or shouldn't be there properly---> which leads me to favoring additional roster spots rather than taxi.

hoos89
                Legend
                Legend

Postby hoos89 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:24 am

sloth8u wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:49 am We'll have to agree to disagree here.

If your opinion is that owner X lands 1.1 because he's stashed gurley, zeke, lenny, and barkley on his taxi....i just wont be able to understand that setting/rule and how leaguemates find that acceptable.

I see it, ive done it....but saying that its good for the league, and facilitates trades is nearly laughable imo. I'll mention it here as i did when parting ways from a league a few yrs back. If you want to tank...trade your players to an owner who wants to play them, dont leave them taxi'd. Maybe the team wouldnt be crap if an owner was actually trying to win games.

To each their own when it comes to the taxi, but as already mentioned....there is no way to gauge who should or shouldn't be there properly---> which leads me to favoring additional roster spots rather than taxi.
                There aren't many leagues where it would be possible to stash all those players. There are (or should be) restrictions on who can be stashed and for how long. It's something you have to plan out for multiple years. Not to mention that there is a cost to it that many are not willing to pay (i.e. your team performs worse in the near term). And it absolutely facilitates trades. Anyone who is planning to use the taxi squad in that way should be willing to pay a premium for a taxi eligible player. It's different than tanking in the sense that anyone can just not start their best players at any time, but once promoted a player is not eligible to be demoted again, and you can't just demote a new player to taxi squad mid-season. I'm generally in favor of rules that reward long term planning, and I think this does.

E: This just seems like a bit of a slippery slope argument. In reality nobody is going to get a taxi squad that stacked, and any owner with all those players would be trying to compete.
                Last edited by hoos89 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
                Andrews, McBride, Engram

Kelce, Dissly, Hooper

WhatWouldDitkaDo
                GOAT
                GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:33 am

In my main league, we use a three-player practice squad, and players can be stashed for up to three seasons. Only players selected in the rookie draft or traded from another practice squad are eligible. This gives a bit more value to late-round picks like the 3.12, since a team would have potentially wasted practice squad roster spots if they have no draft picks.
                Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
                12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
                QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
                RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
                WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
                TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
                PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Maximus891
                Pro Bowler
                Pro Bowler

Postby Maximus891 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:39 am

derekhiny wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:48 pm Agree with above, as far as adding another strategy element and forced trading. We have a 9 player taxi, which is designated by each team at the beginning of the season. Every taxi player is given a draft round tender for trading purposes. 3 players given a 4th, 3 players given a 5th, and 3 players given a 6th (we have 6 rounds to our rookie draft each year). We then allow other teams to poach your taxi players during the season, by making a claim based on the draft tender you assigned to that player. If player is claimed by another team, you may either let the player go for the designated compensation, or you can choose to keep the player. But in order to keep him, you must move him to your active roster. Which will in all likelihood will force you to drop someone from your active roster to create the space necessary to promote said taxi player. It's nothing earth shattering, but it does create a fun wrinkle.
                Thats a great wrinkle, I like it
                Team 1 (18/19 Champ)
                QB- Rivers, Jimmy G, Flacco
                RB- LF, Kamara, Henry, Ito, Barber, RoJo, Harris, Brieda,
                WR- Hopkins, Evans, Golladay, Foster, McLaurin, Perriman
                TE- Kelce, Eifert, Knox, Gronk
                Taxi-R Ridley, Love

Team 2 (16/18/19 Champ)
                QB- Watson, Goff
                RB- Zeke, CMC, Gordon, Chubb, R Freeman, Hunt
                WR- MT, M Williams, Kupp, Campbell, Chark, Ross
                TE- Henry, Hooper, Andrews

Team 3 (17/18 Champ)
                QB- Stafford, Murray
                RB- Cook, Gurley, Lindsay, Mixon, Drake
                WR- OBJ, Hopkins, TY, Kupp, K Johnson, Parker, Renfrow, Ross
                TE- Kittle, I Thomas

Team 4 SF
                QB- Wentz, Kelly, Lamar, Brissett, Luck, RG3
                RB- Chubb, Cook, KJ, Sony, Montgomery, Gallaman, Sproles
                WR- Fuller, Watkins, Sutton, Hollywood, Pettis, Moore, Lee, Funchess, Crowder
                TE- Kittle, Henry, Shaheen, LaCosse
                Taxi- Gaskins, Love, Harmon, Hurd, Sample

sloth8u
                Degenerate
                Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:02 am

hoos89 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:24 am
                sloth8u wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:49 am We'll have to agree to disagree here.

There aren't many leagues where it would be possible to stash all those players. There are (or should be) restrictions on who can be stashed and for how long. It's something you have to plan out for multiple years. Not to mention that there is a cost to it that many are not willing to pay (i.e. your team performs worse in the near term). And it absolutely facilitates trades. Anyone who is planning to use the taxi squad in that way should be willing to pay a premium for a taxi eligible player. It's different than tanking in the sense that anyone can just not start their best players at any time, but once promoted a player is not eligible to be demoted again, and you can't just demote a new player to taxi squad mid-season. I'm generally in favor of rules that reward long term planning, and I think this does.

E: This just seems like a bit of a slippery slope argument. In reality nobody is going to get a taxi squad that stacked, and any owner with all those players would be trying to compete.
                While my example is extreme... You see that it emphasizes that taxable guys, maybe shouldn't be on the taxi.

How do you address if someone is promoted? Can guys be demoted? Is there a "nursing home" where its ok to disregard my productive vets in hopes of a good pick? All can be avoided with a simple roster expansion.