Patriots Cut ASJ

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: ASJ to the Patriots

Postby M-Dub » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:56 pm

Debating whether I should draft him at 2.09 in our rookie/FA draft in a couple weeks. Probably depends on if a rookie I like falls to me. Definitely taking him at 3.09 if he’s still there.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:05 pm

M-Dub wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:56 pm Debating whether I should draft him at 2.09 in our rookie/FA draft in a couple weeks. Probably depends on if a rookie I like falls to me. Definitely taking him at 3.09 if he’s still there.
2.09 seems way too early unless it’s premium TE scoring. Way better off stashing a RB. Or even one of the rookie tight ends as they should maintain some sort of value going forward. Unlike ASJ who this could potentially be his last stand in the fantasy circles.

I don’t have a conviction on ASJ yet. He is one of the best tight end prospects ever though, and has been a huge miss based on his profile. The Patriots notoriously mine value and take on potential reclamation projects. They don’t always workout, but for a player like ASJ’s profile, it is worth continuing to bet on. It wouldn’t be surprising at all if he flashed a couple of games, or more. Especially considering their depth chart. Aside from Jameis’s rookie season, this is without a doubt the best QB and offensive opportunity he has had. His alcohol troubles are widely documented so maybe he can have some sort of resurrection.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:05 pm

Something about this situation reminds me of Ebron, elite prospect struggles in the league, but when paired with elite qb finds success. I would definitely prefer ASJ over 2.09.

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:37 pm

M-Dub wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:56 pm Debating whether I should draft him at 2.09 in our rookie/FA draft in a couple weeks. Probably depends on if a rookie I like falls to me. Definitely taking him at 3.09 if he’s still there.
Interesting. Not sure if he makes it back around to 3.09? You should look at all the teams picking in between 2.09 and 3.09. How are their TE situations? Any Pats homers? Etc.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: All my picks except 3rd rounder

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:42 pm

https://www.patspulpit.com/2019/4/29/18 ... draft-pick

NE just traded Hollister away - sending him to Seattle.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:44 pm

It could be just me, but it seems like Belichick isn't in the business of replacing talent. When Gronk was injured, they just didn't make the TE apart of the gameplan and instead utilized other areas. When Edelman was out, they didn't try to make a new Edelman, they just utilized other areas. They traded Cooks, and didn't try to utilize another deep threat like Cooks at that volume.

He really does play to the strengths of the players he acquires. I'm not sure what ASJ's strength is to this offense. He's a willing and able blocker, so that's a possibility and would add up with their interest in Rudolph. In the receiving game though, ASJ has mostly been used in the short-to-intermediate area of the field that Edelman dominates the last few seasons.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:36 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:44 pmI'm not sure what ASJ's strength is to this offense. He's a willing and able blocker, so that's a possibility and would add up with their interest in Rudolph. In the receiving game though, ASJ has mostly been used in the short-to-intermediate area of the field that Edelman dominates the last few seasons.
Disagree. I think ASJ can both stretch the field and be a threat up the seam (ran a 4.56 40 at his pro day) and is a primary red zone threat along with the newly drafted Harry. He's not a Gronk replacement and could be a decoy on many plays, but I think ASJ has a chance to break out after a long stint of mediocrity.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:29 pm

There will never be a "Gronk replacement" but if anyone is going to be it isnt ASJ. I lean to them using Harry more like Gronk (except for the blockng part obviously). The way Harry plays reminds me more of the way Gronk played, and i feel like Bill drafted him to replace gronk even though he plays a different position. Gronk wasnt gonna kill you getting open by a yard or two with finesse and quickness, he was going to kill you by making the contested catch then being impossible to bring down. Thats more Harrys style than anything else. ASJ will be used to block and in the red zone but i see him as 3rd- 4th in targets on an offense that already spreads the ball out all over.

FantasyDumDum
Role Player
Role Player

Postby FantasyDumDum » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:04 pm

Harry is the Gronk replacement. Great blocking WR, great slot guy, great contested catch and run after catch for a big guy. They’ll line him up in slot and inside a lot and have him motion into blocking or crack down imo, and then hit Gronk’s routes plus more.
10 team, .5ppr, 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: CMC, D Williams, Drake, Guice, Penny, RoJo, Breida, I Smith, Edmonds
WR: AB, ARob, Ridley, Jeffery, Shepard, Pettis, Miller, Washington, MVS, Callaway
TE: Kelce, Herndon, Andrews

Taxi Squad:

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

SkinZ187
Starter
Starter

Postby SkinZ187 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:21 pm

lets quit pretending like ASJ needs to be a gronk replacement to have value as a TE in fantasy football.

IF he can produce 60% of what gronk did, he will have value, especially in TE premium or start 2 TE leagues.

imo, ASJ "has a chance", and that is worth something.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:36 pm

I think ASJ has more than enough talent, it's whether he's got his life in order and has a great work ethic that will make the difference. So far he has not shown that, but we have seen year 4 or year 5 breakouts from TE's before. I am higher than most that he will take advantage of this opportunity.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Patriots Cut ASJ

Postby MEuRaH » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:40 am

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... n-jenkins/

They didn't draft anyone. Maybe they'll try the 0 TE strategy?
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Patriots Cut ASJ

Postby Paul717 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:46 am

Ouch, for my team. Here's hoping Jordan Thomas can increase his target / usage share in 2019. Or I could find myself hoping one of the stud rookie TEs make it to 1.08.

Any sleeper TEs on the Patriot's roster at this time?
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: All my picks except 3rd rounder

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:50 am

And here come the Gronk Come back rumors. I hope not. Gronk did not have a great regular season but he went out absolutely perfectly as a Pat with some nice playoff games and one HUGE catch in the Super Bowl. I dont want to see him stumbling around out there and look like a shell of himself like he did last season.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:52 am

Paul717 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:46 am Ouch, for my team. Here's hoping Jordan Thomas can increase his target / usage share in 2019. Or I could find myself hoping one of the stud rookie TEs make it to 1.08.

Any sleeper TEs on the Patriot's roster at this time?
In short, No, unless you can get Ben Watson super duper cheap. And by cheap i mean a 4th or a 5th.