“You’re team can’t compete!!!”

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
User avatar
joeylitz
Role Player
Role Player
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:52 am

“You’re team can’t compete!!!”

Postby joeylitz » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:17 am

Just a pet peeve of mine, but it’s amusing to me when I’m told my roster can’t compete year-in and year-out on these boards. And it’s usually by someone whose roster has elite starters at every position.

I feel like owners who make those comments are in leagues with disinterested or poor FF players.

I’m proud to say our league has 12 active owners who know what they are doing and that has led to relatively few dominant teams over the years.

Thanks for listening to my rant
2016 Frozen Tundra Dynasty League Champions
12 Team Dynasty, PPR, 1QB-2RB-3WR-1TE-1FLEX-1PK-1DST

QB: Brees. Wentz, Winston, Rudolph
RB: L. Bell, J. Conner, Michel. McKinnon, L. Miller, Montgomery, T. Riddick, Prosise, J. Conner,
WR: A. Robinson, Woods, M. Jones, Godwin, Boyd, Crabtree, Moncrief, Gabriel, C. Henderson, J. Washington, J. Moore
TE: D. Walker. Hooper, I. Thomas
K: Elliott
DST: DEN. KC

Draft:
1.08: Hockenson
2.08: JAWS
3.08:

Ruggenater
Captain
Captain
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:36 am

Re: “You’re team can’t compete!!!”

Postby Ruggenater » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:20 am

*Your
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Rodgers, Tannehill, Love, Dalton
RB: Dobbins, Michel, Montgomery, Dillon, Mattison, Armstead
WR: Hopkins, Evans, A Robinson, Lockett, Reagor, McLaurin, Higgins, Watkins, Perriman, JJAW
TE: Kelce, Gesicki, J Smith, I Thomas

User avatar
JJRules
Captain
Captain
Posts: 793
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:06 pm

Re: “You’re team can’t compete!!!”

Postby JJRules » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:22 am

I wouldn't say "can't compete" with that roster, but I would be skeptical of your chances of winning it all. And I say that because this is a forum where people ask, among other things, advice on their rosters, and saying "OMG dude, sick team!" when it clearly isn't true wouldn't be remotely helpful to you or to anybody else.
10-team non-PPR, Superflex, 16-man rosters, pseudo-dynasty
Keep any number of players (0-16), lose same number of draft picks
2010, 2015 champ, 2013 runner-up

QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, SF, FLEX, D/ST

QB: Watson, Tannehill, Stafford, Dimes
RB: Cook, Mixon, Singletary
WR: Adams, Godwin, Kupp, McLaurin, AJB
TE: Engram, Fant, Hockenson
D/ST: SF

User avatar
BeeziBad
Captain
Captain
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 9:04 am
Location: Albuquerque
Contact:

Re: “You’re team can’t compete!!!”

Postby BeeziBad » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:23 am

joeylitz wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:17 am
Just a pet peeve of mine, but it’s amusing to me when I’m told my roster can’t compete year-in and year-out on these boards. And it’s usually by someone whose roster has elite starters at every position.

I feel like owners who make those comments are in leagues with disinterested or poor FF players.

I’m proud to say our league has 12 active owners who know what they are doing and that has led to relatively few dominant teams over the years.

Thanks for listening to my rant
that's awesome man. im in 3 leagues and barely half the owners are very active and it sucks. i'd love to be in a league that's fully trade happy and loud.
The Mega Powers - 12Team - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/2FLEX/1K - 1PPR
QB - R. Tannehill, T. Bridgewater
RB - J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, C. Akers, Z. Moss, R. Jones, Darwin Thompson, R. Armstead, P. Barber
WR - J. Jeudy, H. Ruggs, T. Higgins, L. Shenault, C. Claypool, J. Reagor, C. Samuel, C. Davis, J. Washington, J. Meyers, D. Pettis, C. Conley, Z. Jones, J. Gordon
TE - K. Rudolph
Picks - 2021 - 1, 1, 1

Jabroni Beaters - 10Team - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/2FLEX/1K - NONPPR
QB - A. Rodgers, B. Mayfield
RB - S. Barkley, E. Elliott, M. Sanders, L. Bell, A. Peterson, L. Murray, T. Cohen, T. Pollard, M. Breida, I. Smith
WR - O. Beckham, K. Golladay, AJ Brown, M. Williams, J. Edelman, J. Washington
TE - none!
Picks - 2020 - 2.5, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10, 3.1, 3.4

User avatar
ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate
Posts: 8624
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:32 pm
Location: Canada

Re: “You’re team can’t compete!!!”

Postby ArrylT » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:29 am

Appreciate your take!

Every league is a different beast. Some have a couple of (currently) dominant teams - some have a more balanced composition. It is good to have a reminder that what looks like a contending team in 1 league may not look like a contender in a different league.

At the same time, obviously when an owner comes looking for advice in the Team Advice thread, the advice they get is going to be from the perspective of owners who can only share from their perspectives, and wont have the advantage of knowing how that league is competitively balanced (unless this is mentioned in the advice request).

And luck always plays a part also. While, with a 6 team playoff, the odds a 6th ranked team can win are lower than that for the top team, it does not mean it cannot or will not happen. So I say, as long as your team has a shot at making the playoffs - then yes it can compete. Underdog stories are always welcome & possible - so long as we remember that the Patriots/GS Warriors/Yankees tend to win more than the cinderella stories. :)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

User avatar
Orenthal Shames
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame
Posts: 3602
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:13 pm

Re: “You’re team can’t compete!!!”

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:31 am

Ruggenater wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:20 am
*Your
:clap:
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 man rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19 Champion

QB: Rivers, Stidham
RB: Kamara, Sanders, Murray, Scott, Kelley
WR: Julio, Hill, OBJ, Keenan, Hamler
TE: Kelce, Kittle

User avatar
joeylitz
Role Player
Role Player
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:52 am

Re: “You’re team can’t compete!!!”

Postby joeylitz » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:33 am

Ruggenater wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:20 am
*Your
:lol:
2016 Frozen Tundra Dynasty League Champions
12 Team Dynasty, PPR, 1QB-2RB-3WR-1TE-1FLEX-1PK-1DST

QB: Brees. Wentz, Winston, Rudolph
RB: L. Bell, J. Conner, Michel. McKinnon, L. Miller, Montgomery, T. Riddick, Prosise, J. Conner,
WR: A. Robinson, Woods, M. Jones, Godwin, Boyd, Crabtree, Moncrief, Gabriel, C. Henderson, J. Washington, J. Moore
TE: D. Walker. Hooper, I. Thomas
K: Elliott
DST: DEN. KC

Draft:
1.08: Hockenson
2.08: JAWS
3.08:

Patsfan86
Captain
Captain
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:28 am

Re: “You’re team can’t compete!!!”

Postby Patsfan86 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:55 am

Its par for the course on here. Its kind of annoying yes but its also why i dont have my team in my sig because i know ill get annoyed by those comments. There is always a shot you can compete, no matter what anyone says. Gotta remember though there are a lot of people on here who have been doing this for a loooonnngggg time and are more experienced so they are able to build these stacked rosters. I would def be told that my team cant compete when i think it can.
Stafford/ Lamar
Kenny
Harry
Hollywood Brown/ Robby Anderson
Michel
J Howard
Herndon
Gostkowski
Seattle D

To me thats not a bad team and can contend for a 6th spot for playoffs and who knows what would happen when i get in. Others on here would say no chance of any of that. But its just how it goes. To me your team def has a shot especiially if you can start 3 RBs

User avatar
ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate
Posts: 8624
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:32 pm
Location: Canada

Re: “You’re team can’t compete!!!”

Postby ArrylT » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:57 am

Ruggenater wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:20 am
*Your
So what you're saying is that his team won't be competing in any spelling bees. 8-)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

User avatar
joeylitz
Role Player
Role Player
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:52 am

Re: “You’re team can’t compete!!!”

Postby joeylitz » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:20 am

ArrylT wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:57 am
Ruggenater wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:20 am
*Your
So what you're saying is that his team won't be competing in any spelling bees. 8-)
Spelling Brees
2016 Frozen Tundra Dynasty League Champions
12 Team Dynasty, PPR, 1QB-2RB-3WR-1TE-1FLEX-1PK-1DST

QB: Brees. Wentz, Winston, Rudolph
RB: L. Bell, J. Conner, Michel. McKinnon, L. Miller, Montgomery, T. Riddick, Prosise, J. Conner,
WR: A. Robinson, Woods, M. Jones, Godwin, Boyd, Crabtree, Moncrief, Gabriel, C. Henderson, J. Washington, J. Moore
TE: D. Walker. Hooper, I. Thomas
K: Elliott
DST: DEN. KC

Draft:
1.08: Hockenson
2.08: JAWS
3.08:

User avatar
joeylitz
Role Player
Role Player
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:52 am

Re: “You’re team can’t compete!!!”

Postby joeylitz » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:26 am

ArrylT wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:29 am
Appreciate your take!

Every league is a different beast. Some have a couple of (currently) dominant teams - some have a more balanced composition. It is good to have a reminder that what looks like a contending team in 1 league may not look like a contender in a different league.

At the same time, obviously when an owner comes looking for advice in the Team Advice thread, the advice they get is going to be from the perspective of owners who can only share from their perspectives, and wont have the advantage of knowing how that league is competitively balanced (unless this is mentioned in the advice request).

And luck always plays a part also. While, with a 6 team playoff, the odds a 6th ranked team can win are lower than that for the top team, it does not mean it cannot or will not happen. So I say, as long as your team has a shot at making the playoffs - then yes it can compete. Underdog stories are always welcome & possible - so long as we remember that the Patriots/GS Warriors/Yankees tend to win more than the cinderella stories. :)
Thanks for this response. I like what you said about different perspectives.

For context, the best team in the league went 9-4 last year. Only 1 team had that record and he lost in the chip to an 8-5 team (not me). So we have no Patri*ts, Yankees, etc.

Here are the records of all teams last year:
9-4
8-5 (me)
8-5
8-5
7-6
7-6
6-7
6-7
6-7
6-7
4-9
3-10
2016 Frozen Tundra Dynasty League Champions
12 Team Dynasty, PPR, 1QB-2RB-3WR-1TE-1FLEX-1PK-1DST

QB: Brees. Wentz, Winston, Rudolph
RB: L. Bell, J. Conner, Michel. McKinnon, L. Miller, Montgomery, T. Riddick, Prosise, J. Conner,
WR: A. Robinson, Woods, M. Jones, Godwin, Boyd, Crabtree, Moncrief, Gabriel, C. Henderson, J. Washington, J. Moore
TE: D. Walker. Hooper, I. Thomas
K: Elliott
DST: DEN. KC

Draft:
1.08: Hockenson
2.08: JAWS
3.08:

RB6
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7184
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:15 pm

Re: “You’re team can’t compete!!!”

Postby RB6 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:33 am

There's certainly a lot of soap-boxing here. But the fact is, when you are on a public forum, you are opening yourself up to criticism. Even more so when one of the main forums is an advice section. Suck it up and let your record do the real talking.
.5PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
Watson, Wilson, Lock, Tua, Tannehill
MT, Diggs, Woods, Boyd, Reagor, Shepard, Deebo, Pascal, S. Sims
Barkley, Ingram, Akers, Lindsay, Royce, Henderson, Justice
Andrews, Higbee, Jonnu

.5PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/2F
LJax, Lock, Burrow, Ben, Foles, Eason, Rosen
Adams, Julio, Kupp, Lockett, MWill, Shepard, Sims, Hamler, Duvernay, Van, S. Miller, Proche, Reed, ESB
Zeke, Ingram, Mostert, Hunt, Pollard, Hines, Laird, C. Thompson, Calais
Andrews, Knox, Asiasi, Keene, Oliver

PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
Mahomes, ARod, Goff, Mullens, Eason, Stick
LF, Singletary, Mack, Breida, Hines, Laird, Eno, D. Freeman, C. Thompson
MT, Kupp, Boyd, Dede, G. Tate, Crowder, Hamler, A. Tate, Pascal, Higgins, ESB
Andrews, Thomas

PPR TE1.5 Return YDS 1Q/3W/2R/1SF/3F
Allen, Baker, Cam, Keenum
MT, Ridley, Lockett, Mecole, Miller, Robby, Reynolds, Sims, CPatt, Reed
MG, Singletary, Guice, Cohen, Gibson, Scott, Rodney
Andrews, Henry, Knox, Warring
Taxi: Morgan, Montez, Quez, Robinson, Calais

User avatar
Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame
Posts: 3038
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: “You’re team can’t compete!!!”

Postby Vcize » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:32 am

JJRules wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:22 am
I wouldn't say "can't compete" with that roster, but I would be skeptical of your chances of winning it all.
Things change SO much during the season. Whether it be waiver pickups or just the huge collection of players that massively over/under perform every year, unless a team is just dreadfully god awful every team has a reasonable chance at the start of the year. Dynasty owners are generally too quick to just assume they won't be in the hunt at the start of the year.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Wentz, Burrow
RB: Barkley, Mixon, A Jones, Hunt
WR: Hopkins, ARob, Woods, Lockett, Preston, J Jefferson, Cobb
TE: Cook, Howard, Goedert

Patsfan86
Captain
Captain
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:28 am

Re: “You’re team can’t compete!!!”

Postby Patsfan86 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:04 am

Vcize wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:32 am
JJRules wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:22 am
I wouldn't say "can't compete" with that roster, but I would be skeptical of your chances of winning it all.
Things change SO much during the season. Whether it be waiver pickups or just the huge collection of players that massively over/under perform every year, unless a team is just dreadfully god awful every team has a reasonable chance at the start of the year. Dynasty owners are generally too quick to just assume they won't be in the hunt at the start of the year.
Yup, this is exactly it. We all have a shot to win and we all have a shot at having a stacked roster and losing. Team in my league had an absolutely stacked roster, made it to the championship game, played a team with CMC and Barkley and thats all she wrote. Only time i made playoffs was because i picked up Gary Freaking Barnidge one season. Saying a team has no shot is silly.

Jigga94
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6996
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:38 pm

Re: “You’re team can’t compete!!!”

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:22 am

I tell people their teams can't compete to make me feel good about myself
2QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, FLEX - PPR - 14 Keepers
QB: Mahomes, Baker, D. Jones, Minshew, Luck
RB: Mostert, Sony, Penny, D. Freeman, Snell, J. Jackson, Hyde, Gaskin
WR: Tyreek, DJM, Julio, Hollywood, Cooks, Preston, Parris, C. Davis, MVS
TE: Andrews, Henry, Fant, Irv
2020: 1.02, 2.02, 3.02, 4.02, 4.08

2QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 3FLEX - PPR - 20 Keepers
QB: Dak, Ryan, Minshew, Cam
RB: CMC, Jacobs, Hunt, Penny, J. Jackson
WR: DJM, Chark, Hardman, Mike Will, Diontae, Parris, C. Davis, Lazard
TE: Andrews, Henry, Gesicki
2020: 1.07, 1.09, 2.05
2021: 1, 1, 2, 3


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], mild, Shankopotamus and 13 guests