Shady commish. Yay or nay?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

Commish acted shady or inappropriately and I would not approve of their actions.
86%
Commish acted appropriately or at the very least is within their rights to do what they feel is best for the league.
14%

Total votes: 58

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Wed May 29, 2019 8:49 pm

Question is in the title, and my apologies for being wordy. I will do my best to be fair to the commish as best as I can.

16 team league. We use MFL for our website. Our draft ended May 27th, 11:40pm. For at least several months, as long as we have had the 2019 website up and running, the league calendar has stated that waivers would process May 28th, 7pm. Thus, there was slightly under 24 hours from the time the draft ended until the 1st post-draft waivers processed. From my recollection, this does seem slightly sooner than it has been historically in this league, but I admit I didn't think much of it at the time.

10 of the 16 league owners submitted waiver claims, myself included. This seems like a very normal number, as historically (as in any league) there are several less active owners who choose not to submit claims. Thus, I think it's a fair assumption on my part that most (but clearly not all) teams that wanted to submit waiver claims were able to do so. The key piece of information though is that we all had the same access to the same info and the same ability to submit claims.

Tonight, without any discussion of the matter and without consulting any owners, the commish reversed ALL waiver claims (39 total) and all FCFS moves that happened after that (at least 30 more). His reasoning is that "his intent was for waivers to process later, on June 5th, to give everyone a chance to submit waiver claims". He also states that we were not supposed to have FCFS at all until the season started later because we haven't in the past, which might be true (I honestly don't remember). Just a few more key pieces of info before weighing in:

- The commish was one of the few (probably 2 or 3) teams that did not submit waiver claims. It is my personal belief that he forgot (or, to be as fair to him as possible, possibly didn't realize he even had waivers set to process so quickly) to submit waiver claims and is undoing everything largely in part so he can submit claims himself.

- There is nothing in the league rules or bylaws that specifically states when post-draft waivers will run. Thus, the only info any of us have to go by is the league calendar.

- He claims that MFL is difficult to use and made waivers more difficult this year. As a commish myself, I don't completely disagree with him here. I actually believe him when he says that his goal was probably to have a longer waiver period post draft. I don't necessarily believe his motives and actions now are honorable though.

- I have asked him repeatedly for justification on why he believes that reversing all of the transactions is a net positive for the league rather than a net negative. The only answer I have received is that, "We have never had waivers that soon after the draft before". Possibly true, but doesn't answer the question. And he refuses to answer the question about why it's a net positive.

- The commish states that we can still have a fair waiver claim going forward and I 100% disagree. We still have access to all of the claim info (IE, who claimed who) via email so we already know who everyone was after.

- The commish makes that argument, and I'm paraphrasing, that "these guys are all scrubs or unimportant anyway, so why does it even matter?" My point is that the players don't matter nearly as much as the integrity of the league.

- I have asked the commish at least 3 times in the past to justify why he doesn't have commissioner lockout turned on (the setting that prevents the commish from viewing our waiver transactions and trade offers). I still haven't gotten a response to the question. I only mention this because I have previously questioned his integrity as well and I DO believe he has a history of viewing our waiver claims prior to waivers being processed. I admit I can't prove any wrongdoing though, as that would be impossible on my end.

- The commish is now, after I voiced my concerns (or he would say bitched about), considering reversing his reversals and letting the waivers stand as they happened. It sounds like no matter what he wants to get rid of the FCFS after the fact though. It is my belief that all of it should stand.

- I only mention this last point because it might be pertinent to how you feel I'm representing the situation, but I've gotten into it a little bit with the commish in the past. I've questioned his integrity regarding lopsided trades in his favor and the commissioner lockout situation. It's fair to say that he doesn't like me much as an owner and I question his integrity as a commish. He has labeled me as a complainer and a whiner. I personally feel like I'm just an owner who cares possibly a little too much and doesn't mind being vocal about things I find questionable. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Should I care about this situation? Has the commissioner done what's best for the league? Has he acted fairly and honorably, or would you as an owner also question his motives and not like his actions taken? if you were a commish, how would you handle this "situation". Thanks.

*Edited only for grammar. And again for adding this message that my first edit was only for grammar :lol:
Last edited by Water Buffalo on Wed May 29, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Re: Shady commish. Yay or nay?

Postby djeternal2 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:55 pm

All should stand. Especially if according to the commish all these guys are "scrubs anyways" so what does it matter if anyone picked up any players waivers or fcfs? I literally would throw that in his face but I'm also in a mood tonight. lol All that said it might be time to look for a different league if the commish is just going to make stuff up on the fly. If there was any posting, text, email, etc he could produce showing his intent then fine. Anything outside of that what has happened has happened and vote on how to deal with waivers/fcfs going forward.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

Battlestar
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Battlestar » Wed May 29, 2019 8:58 pm

I’d bail. If you question his integrity get out. Plenty of great leagues out there and life is too precious for this type of drama, real or perceived.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Wed May 29, 2019 9:00 pm

I'm not sure if he's shady. Maybe just a bad decision-maker.

I am sure that MFL is a steaming pile of crap for commishes to set up. I wish them an infinite number of $70 losses as people migrate to sleeper or to other platforms.

But whether or not his intentions are shady.....once the waiver wire runs & owners' poker hands are shown, it should remain. Everyone sees the same league calendar.

Owners such as yourself could've proactively been a good Samaritan and mentioned it to the commish or publically "hey, are waivers really supposed to run tomorrow? That seems soon". As a player in leagues, I do that if I notice something that feels off. And as a commish in a few leagues, I appreciate when leaguemates catch something like that and let me know.

But yeah, if I was the commish, I would've let the waivers stand, learn from it, and try to migrate the league to a new platform.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed May 29, 2019 9:01 pm

Mods, it looks like Turco has hacked multiple accounts!

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Wed May 29, 2019 9:04 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:01 pm Mods, it looks like Turco has hacked multiple accounts!
Not sure what that means, but I assure you I'm not a hacked account. I used to be very active around here and now I'm not. Guess I just grew older and got busier with life. Doesn't mean I don't take my fantasy football seriously still though :wink:

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Wed May 29, 2019 9:05 pm

Water Buffalo wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:04 pm
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:01 pm Mods, it looks like Turco has hacked multiple accounts!
Not sure what that means, but I assure you I'm not a hacked account. I used to be very active around here and now I'm not. Guess I just grew older and got busier with life. Doesn't mean I don't take my fantasy football seriously still though :wink:
He's joking.

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Wed May 29, 2019 9:10 pm

jordanzs wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:00 pm I'm not sure if he's shady. Maybe just a bad decision-maker.

I am sure that MFL is a steaming pile of crap for commishes to set up. I wish them an infinite number of $70 losses as people migrate to sleeper or to other platforms.
Extremely true. I appreciate what MFL has been in the past when other platforms didn't exist to meet our needs, but I do look forward to new and better options in the future. I still like many aspects of MFL, but their setup IS a total bitch for commishes, no argument there.
jordanzs wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:00 pm
Owners such as yourself could've proactively been a good Samaritan and mentioned it to the commish or publically "hey, are waivers really supposed to run tomorrow? That seems soon". As a player in leagues, I do that if I notice something that feels off. And as a commish in a few leagues, I appreciate when leaguemates catch something like that and let me know.
Possibly true. I fully admit I didn't really think much of it at the time. Our draft may have run a little longer than usual due to memorial day, so I guess I just assumed he still had waivers set to run the same time as he did last year, regardless of how long the draft took to complete. As I initially stated, it did seem shorter than usual but not out of the ordinary shorter than usual. Again, I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt that it was indeed an error that waivers wasn't supposed to run that quickly. I'm not questioning him on that standpoint, only his actions after the fact.

Thanks for weighing in!

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Wed May 29, 2019 9:12 pm

jordanzs wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:05 pm
Water Buffalo wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:04 pm
He's joking.
Ahh. Over my head then. Figured he was maybe one of the guys from my league I'm referencing who doesn't like me and was giving me bleep :)

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Wed May 29, 2019 9:13 pm

Yup I would question his actions on that as well. Hopefully he does the right thing. You could always let responses pile up here and then show him the thread, as a last resort.

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Wed May 29, 2019 9:18 pm

Battlestar wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:58 pm I’d bail. If you question his integrity get out. Plenty of great leagues out there and life is too precious for this type of drama, real or perceived.
Believe me, it's a strong consideration. I actually don't even get along with a good handful of the people in the league either who have been jerks to me since day 1. The only thing keeping me there is the fact that it took me a while to find an established IDP league that I liked the settings of, I took a terrible (and I mean terrible! worst team in the league) orphan from worst to very competitive in 4 years, and I kind of feel bad abandoning my team. I like rooting for my dudes, you know? I'm only in 2 dynasty leagues these days specifically because I want to be a good owner and give my full attention to the couple of leagues I'm in. It'd be easier if it was one of 20 leagues or something I guess. Still on the fence though.
Last edited by Water Buffalo on Wed May 29, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Wed May 29, 2019 9:22 pm

jordanzs wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:13 pm Yup I would question his actions on that as well. Hopefully he does the right thing. You could always let responses pile up here and then show him the thread, as a last resort.
It's a consideration. My goal isn't to rub it in his face, but I would like the league run honorably and I wish I could trust that his motives were pure. More than anything though, sometimes I like a reality check to see if I'm seeing the situation fairly or not since I'm obviously biased. You never know.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed May 29, 2019 9:30 pm

Quit the league.

Take any of the teams from our DLF Early Bird Special other than mine, Ice and Fantasy Freaks. We will add IDP in 2020 for you, just tell us what rules package you prefer.

Win win for all!

usps33
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby usps33 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:52 pm

I never understand why owners play in leagues that the commissioner insists on to having the lockout turned on. There is no reason for the commish to need access to all abilities 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When the commish needs to access these abilities, it only takes a second to turn them on and off. Only on a few occasions will the commish ever need to use these abilities during the season normally and sometimes there is no need to use them at all.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed May 29, 2019 9:57 pm

If the Commish refused to turn the lockout commish feature on, he's shady. End of story. There is no reason for it, and the odd time they need to use it, they can turn it on, and notify the league of the fact they are doing it, and why. If you are so lazy you can't be bothered switching a setting once a year in the event you have to do something, in order to ensure your league that everything is being done fairly, you shouldn't be a commissioner, period.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Wed May 29, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick