Shady commish. Yay or nay?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

Shady commish. Yay or nay?

Commish acted shady or inappropriately and I would not approve of their actions.
86%
Commish acted appropriately or at the very least is within their rights to do what they feel is best for the league.
14%

Total votes: 58

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Shady commish. Yay or nay?

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Thu May 30, 2019 9:08 am

GridironGuerilla wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:04 am Commissioner should always be locked out with few exceptions, and the "add/drop" ability should be turned off prior to any draft, and remain off until the commissioner has properly set up and thoroughly communicated the process and schedule for adding post draft to the league.
OP, perhaps the best solution is the show him some of these replies to guide him on commissioner settings. I am a member of multiple MFL-based leagues, and I love the customization etc, but the one league I commish is on Yahoo because I don't want to deal with the headache of all the settings etc. It can be a lot to manage.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

DelawareRiverEagles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DelawareRiverEagles » Thu May 30, 2019 10:05 am

usps33 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:52 pm I never understand why owners play in leagues that the commissioner insists on to having the lockout turned on. There is no reason for the commish to need access to all abilities 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When the commish needs to access these abilities, it only takes a second to turn them on and off. Only on a few occasions will the commish ever need to use these abilities during the season normally and sometimes there is no need to use them at all.
I've never been a Commish, so I don't fully understand this admin/mod lockout stuff. I can guess what it means based off of previous experiences, but can someone please explain that to me?

Is it like when you try to add a player but the system doesn't allow you to proceed to that screen just yet?

DelawareRiverEagles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DelawareRiverEagles » Thu May 30, 2019 10:08 am

Also, to answer the OP, I think the Commish shouldn't have reversed the transactions. If he is basing things off of intent, then he is the only one who might know some information, which creates asymmetry. That's kind of a recipe for disaster and not a good way to adjudicate issues. What if there is a lopsided trade and he goes "my intent was for all trades to be fair and/or pass a trade calculator test?" Or what if someone tanks and/or throws games, gets away with it, and then weeks after-the-fact the Commish says his intent was to prevent stuff like that from happening?

All teams had the same information, and all who availed themselves to the privilege of waivers should be rewarded. Regardless, the transactions happened, and what's done is done.

This could be a Slippery Slope type of situation tbh.

DelawareRiverEagles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DelawareRiverEagles » Thu May 30, 2019 10:24 am

Sorry for triple post, but I had a similar situation to the OP's in another league.

We had rules that said you could not drop players until July, but the Commish unilaterally decided to move that date to a date in May. Once he made this announcement, his family (also members in the league) instantly made drops, and then he made some too. In fact, he and his family were the first people to make drops. Nobody else made a drop before they did.

He reasoned that he could do this because it was open and available to all teams, but the rules had never been modified like that before. On top of that, by dropping the players ASAP, he was able to get his roster below the roster maximum. If he was over the max, he would have had to drop players on the day that waiver wires opened up before making any transactions. So, essentially, he wouldn't have been able to participate in blind-bid waivers b/c the system wouldn't allow him to put in such claims due to him being over the max, and he would have had to spend some time manually dropping the players himself during FCFS. But by dropping the players early, he and his family were able to get their teams under the max so they could participate in BB Waivers.

Once that happened, I bounced so fast. Can't play with Commissioners like that. And he reasons that he's a good one because he's played dynasty for 10+ years, so his "experience speaks for itself."

LOOOOLLLLLLLL What a dummy! No wonder he was a Cowboys fan, LMFAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Thu May 30, 2019 7:33 pm

GridironGuerilla wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:04 am ...and the "add/drop" ability should be turned off prior to any draft, and remain off until the commissioner has properly set up and thoroughly communicated the process and schedule for adding post draft to the league.
Agreed, but we were already past that point. What happened happened. The question is about how the commish handled everything from that point forward.

But I think I got the responses that I needed. Thanks for chiming in, and that goes for yourself and everyone else!

DDT
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DDT » Fri May 31, 2019 6:51 am

I agree that the commish should have the lockout turned on (or off? -- whatever doesn't let him see stuff). But I feel for him on the waivers issue. MFL has a good checklist when they turn over to the new site. But they should add a few more (and I'm leaning towards creating a checklist). They should add to verify waivers date, blind bid budgets, and even that hyperlink on the banner that I forget to change until one owner (the same one each year) reminds me.

TheDream9
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby TheDream9 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:01 am

I'm late to the party, but does seem at least a little shady by the commish.
how'd it turn out, he reverse it or no?
I think a fair compromise would be to let the BBID stand and reverse the FCFS as that was almost certainly an oversight.

I may be the minority, but I personally think MFL made it so much easier to setup this year. Literally all my settings from last year just carried right over, I didn't have to change a thing. Except I think I always start my draft on a Sunday and not just June 1, so I had to move it from june 1 to june 2. Everything else was perfectly intact from last year.

Also, it is pretty easy to go back to previous years and see when your waivers and draft took place. If it's pretty consistent with how it was set last year/previous years, then he should've def let the waivers go. If it's way way off, personally I woulda still let it go and think he had some personal motives, as over 60% of the league still managed to make moves

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:42 am

I wonder what would have happened here had the draft went 1 day longer. Do we think anyone would have told the commish waivers were running before the end of the draft?

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:03 am

SHADY. I'd leave. That's total BS.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

DelawareRiverEagles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DelawareRiverEagles » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:42 am

jordanzs wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:00 pm I'm not sure if he's shady. Maybe just a bad decision-maker.
Good distinction. It's always tough to decipher between the two. But the second you start to question the Commish's integrity, it's time to bail. Hard to trust people if you question their integrity, and you NEED to be able to trust the Commish.

DelawareRiverEagles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DelawareRiverEagles » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:18 pm

So are we allowed to post Commish issues in here instead of the Commish Corner? If so, then why?

DelawareRiverEagles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DelawareRiverEagles » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:05 pm

DelawareRiverEagles wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:18 pm So are we allowed to post Commish issues in here instead of the Commish Corner? If so, then why?
Sorry for triple post, but I can see why now. That subforum is as slow as a Cowboys fan learning math.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:30 pm

DelawareRiverEagles wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:05 pm
DelawareRiverEagles wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:18 pm So are we allowed to post Commish issues in here instead of the Commish Corner? If so, then why?
Sorry for triple post, but I can see why now. That subforum is as slow as a Cowboys fan learning math.
actually, the Commish corner is for commissioners to discuss issues. I think this is the appropriate place for this post.
-oo-

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:35 pm

Water Buffalo wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:49 pm
10 of the 16 league owners submitted waiver claims, myself included.
*snip*

- The commish was one of the few (probably 2 or 3) teams that did not submit waiver claims.
These facts show that the owners are on the ball. The waivers and FCFS should stand.
There is really no excuse for the commissioner to reverse the waivers or FCFS. It is his responsibility to make sure the calendar and all procedures are updated before he even starts the season. If he overlooked this item, but the majority of the league saw it, then he has to let it stand. He just needs to be more cautious going forward. Also, making it clear in the rules would give him a leg to stand on.

As for the shady question - it's hard to judge. But if you have a bad feeling about the commish, and this isn't the first bull-pucky he's pulled, then I'd strongly consider leaving, or else offering to replace him.

-oo-
Both teams 16 tm 1/3 ppr idp
QB, RB, 2WR, TE, 2Flex, K, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 2 Flex

Phoenix Park Suns
QB - Hurts, Darnold, Minshew, Zappe, O'Connell
RB - Ekeler, Conner, Edwards, Strong, McLaughlin, Brooks, Prince
WR - Adams, Tyreek Hill, Deebo Samuel, Zay Jones, M. Thomas, Downs
TE - Goedert, Bellinger
PK - Sanders
DL - Garrett, Paye, Madubuike, Judon
LB - Franklin, Mosley, Edmunds, J. Davis, Bernard, Jack, Mapu, Vander Esch
DB - Metellus, Branch
2024 Picks: 1.14, 2.05 , 2.14, 3.05, 3.14, 6.14

Serenity Valley Browncoats
QB - RWilson, O'Connell, Lance, Darnold, Hooker, Stidham
RB - Stevenson, RWhite, Ford, Herbert, Hunt, CEH, McIntosh, Brooks
WR - Adams, Collins, Rice, GDavis, NBrown, Dortch, Tillman
TE - Higbee, Allen, Graham
PK - Fairbairn
DL - Madubuike, Paye, Ebukam, Will Anderson
LB - Kendricks, Pratt, DWhite, Holcombe, Baker, Alexander, TAndersen, Jack
DB - Blackmon, Brisker, Stingley
- 2024 Picks: 1.13, 3.13
-oo-

DelawareRiverEagles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DelawareRiverEagles » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:02 pm

meineymoe wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:30 pm
DelawareRiverEagles wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:05 pm
actually, the Commish corner is for commissioners to discuss issues. I think this is the appropriate place for this post.
-oo-
Hmmm, interesting, but a good distinction.

Maybe there should be a fantasy issues/dilemmas subforum, but I bet that would also be a slow one.