Shady commish. Yay or nay?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

Shady commish. Yay or nay?

Commish acted shady or inappropriately and I would not approve of their actions.
86%
Commish acted appropriately or at the very least is within their rights to do what they feel is best for the league.
14%

Total votes: 58

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Re: Shady commish. Yay or nay?

Postby Water Buffalo » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:00 am

TheDream9 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:01 am I'm late to the party, but does seem at least a little shady by the commish.
how'd it turn out, he reverse it or no?
I think a fair compromise would be to let the BBID stand and reverse the FCFS as that was almost certainly an oversight.
This is exactly what ended up happening. After I very vocally questioned his decision, he posed the question to the entire league asking everyone how they think the "problem" (that only he created) should be solved. The vast majority of people said that the waivers should stand. So, he put all the waivers back to how they initially processed but put his foot down on the FCFS transactions since he claims we've never had them in the past (which I believe to be true).

I'm glad he came to his senses, but I still have a bad feeling about it in general. I just really don't understand how a commish can think making decisions like that without even consulting the league first is a wise course of action.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:26 am

I wouldnt let it bother you. The end result is what you are looking for and its pretty clear that the intent was not to have waivers process when they did. He didnt know they were set to process then is why he deleted them. It was for no other reason.

They did process...he ended up allowing them, time to move on.

DelawareRiverEagles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DelawareRiverEagles » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:09 am

are you going to show the Commish the results of this poll? If so, then good luck with that.

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:35 am

Water Buffalo wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:00 am
TheDream9 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:01 am I'm late to the party, but does seem at least a little shady by the commish.
I think a fair compromise would be to let the BBID stand and reverse the FCFS as that was almost certainly an oversight.
This is exactly what ended up happening. After I very vocally questioned his decision, he posed the question to the entire league asking everyone how they think the "problem" (that only he created) should be solved. The vast majority of people said that the waivers should stand. So, he put all the waivers back to how they initially processed but put his foot down on the FCFS transactions since he claims we've never had them in the past (which I believe to be true).

I'm glad he came to his senses, but I still have a bad feeling about it in general. I just really don't understand how a commish can think making decisions like that without even consulting the league first is a wise course of action.
Seems like a decent compromise. Maybe it's time for a league-wide powow to discuss bylaws and make necessary changes that go into effect (likely for NEXT season).
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

DelawareRiverEagles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DelawareRiverEagles » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:44 am

I've been there, especially the foot down on the FCFS. I agreed with him on that too, because he sent out an email saying we weren't allowed to do that, and put it on the league board/calendar too.

Someone tried to steal Marshawn Lynch a couple years back that way.

DelawareRiverEagles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DelawareRiverEagles » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:47 am

jetsfan5757 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:35 am

Seems like a decent compromise. Maybe it's time for a league-wide powow to discuss bylaws and make necessary changes that go into effect (likely for NEXT season).
That'd be good. How long do you all normally allot for that kind of stuff? We did 1 month and it felt too short for me tbh.

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:40 am

Allot for the purpose of a discussion about bylaws? Or between waivers and fcfs?

For bylaws despens on the group. Our commish drafted bylaws, we had a week to comment, he identified items that needed a vote, we had a week to vote (during which everyone pleaded their cases in long winded emails), results came in and we all accepted. 1 month might be tight, 2 months is more than enough.
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

DelawareRiverEagles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DelawareRiverEagles » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:45 am

jetsfan5757 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:40 am Allot for the purpose of a discussion about bylaws? Or between waivers and fcfs?

For bylaws despens on the group. Our commish drafted bylaws, we had a week to comment, he identified items that needed a vote, we had a week to vote (during which everyone pleaded their cases in long winded emails), results came in and we all accepted. 1 month might be tight, 2 months is more than enough.
Ah, I gotcha. Yeah, we have yearly rules discussion months, and sometimes I think that 1 month is too little. Commish thinks it's more than enough time, but he's the only person that can start a new discussion on a rule. We are able to throw out ideas via email in a long thread that everyone sees, but he gets to handpick which ones we vote on. I don't like the latter aspect, and 1 month is very tight. Sometimes he is late (life happens), and we gotta cram it in.

I'd lobby to change that rule now that I write all of this out.

diehard4life
Rookie
Rookie

Postby diehard4life » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:19 pm

Not shady. Sleeper is another format that gets the post-draft settings config wrong. We did an online draft this Spring and our Commish had to reverse waiver claims from one user because the stated date for free agency was a week after the draft.

However, the app didn’t make that easy. We couldn’t submit our waivers early during that interim because it granted immediate pickups.

We had to wait until Monday to submit for Tuesday.

My point is, to run a league is complicated. The best thing for your league is the reset, since the intent, stated or not, was for a break between the draft and FA. That is best practice for many reasons.

But to know as a league member that the setup in the app is different than league practice and to use that as an advantage without noting the odd config to the Commish is shady, not the redactions.

It’s the offseason. Not everyone is up to speed. Rewarding those who were aware of this FA state isn’t the way to keep a league active and vibrant. It is the way to create marginalized owners who will leave the league down the road. You need to cultivate community, not competition. The latter exists because of the sport itself. But technical skill or the awareness of offseason minutiae should not be part of what defines a championship contender.
Philosophy: a high ceiling is better than a high floor.

Relative dynasty newcomer, but six time league champion in other formats (despite a 10 year hiatus), most proud of the 2018 NFFL (16-team, TD only, 30th anniversary) League Championship.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:42 pm

diehard4life wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:19 pm Not shady. Sleeper is another format that gets the post-draft settings config wrong. We did an online draft this Spring and our Commish had to reverse waiver claims from one user because the stated date for free agency was a week after the draft.

However, the app didn’t make that easy. We couldn’t submit our waivers early during that interim because it granted immediate pickups.

We had to wait until Monday to submit for Tuesday.

My point is, to run a league is complicated. The best thing for your league is the reset, since the intent, stated or not, was for a break between the draft and FA. That is best practice for many reasons.

But to know as a league member that the setup in the app is different than league practice and to use that as an advantage without noting the odd config to the Commish is shady, not the redactions.

It’s the offseason. Not everyone is up to speed. Rewarding those who were aware of this FA state isn’t the way to keep a league active and vibrant. It is the way to create marginalized owners who will leave the league down the road. You need to cultivate community, not competition. The latter exists because of the sport itself. But technical skill or the awareness of offseason minutiae should not be part of what defines a championship contender.
"I have asked the commish at least 3 times in the past to justify why he doesn't have commissioner lockout turned on (the setting that prevents the commish from viewing our waiver transactions and trade offers). I still haven't gotten a response to the question."

Shady Commish, end of story. Running a league isn't that complicated, and turning this setting on is necessary for fairness and takes literally a matter of seconds. There is no good reason to ignore this question and no good reason to have the setting the way it is.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:12 am

I'm not really sure I'd call it "shady" it was clumsy and should certainly be critisezed for it.

Sometimes a commish needs to rule with an iron fist for the good of the league.

Bad leadership perhaps but I wouldn't necessarily say shady
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

DelawareRiverEagles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DelawareRiverEagles » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:29 am

MrUbuto wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:12 am I'm not really sure I'd call it "shady" it was clumsy and should certainly be critisezed for it.

Sometimes a commish needs to rule with an iron fist for the good of the league.

Bad leadership perhaps but I wouldn't necessarily say shady
Almost. Just so close!