Page 1 of 3

Trading for pick 2+ years away

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:27 am
by Jcedwards
Would you say it is ever too early to trade for picks that are 2+ years away?

I have an offer of a 2021 2nd (won't list the offer, because this isn't the team advice thread), but I am just wondering if it is worth pursuing even though 2021 isn't for 2 more years. I wanted to get the general consensus on if people trade for picks for just the current/ upcoming year or if you pursue offers with picks that are 2+ years away.

Re: Trading for pick 2+ years away

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:31 am
by Pac_Eddy
I'd have no issue with it. I assume you're getting a pretty good deal though.

Most of my leagues only allow a max of two years ahead, but if I had a player that I really wanted to sell, I'd happily take a 2021 pick.

Re: Trading for pick 2+ years away

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:42 am
by moishetreats
Always happy to get future picks!! Those are assets that will never depreciate!

Re: Trading for pick 2+ years away

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:47 am
by sloth8u
some guys just don't carry much value amongst league mates. if future picks a long way out is all you can get....id take it.

love the topic. I don't think most realize how trading multi years out can impact a league or the way that you can run your team.

Re: Trading for pick 2+ years away

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:34 am
by grandmabetty
As another mentioned those dont depreciate. I often make moves involving picks 2 years away because short sighted owners are eager to give them up only worrying about helping their team now. This allows me to get better value in some cases. The flip side of that coin though is that I need to wait 2 years to cash in on the trade.

Re: Trading for pick 2+ years away

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:38 am
by Jigga94
moishetreats wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:42 am
Always happy to get future picks!! Those are assets that will never depreciate!
This. I love doing it with competitive teams who are buyers as well. That team could always flip in 2 years and all of a sudden you have a really good pick.

Best way to do this is if your team is REALLY good and you are getting rid of expendable assets. Or if you are getting a really good value for a rebuild.

I don't like trading for picks far out if my team is middle of the road or if it's only fair value in a rebuild because that guarantees a prolonged rebuild

Re: Trading for pick 2+ years away

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:38 am
by BeeziBad
moishetreats wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:42 am
Always happy to get future picks!! Those are assets that will never depreciate!
They depreciate when you come across a draft class like this year's.

I may be the minority but I hate planning that far ahead. I'm extremely against 'rebuilds' unless it takes me a single off season to do. I never rebuild, i'm always about winning now and 2055 picks do nothing to help my cause.

Re: Trading for pick 2+ years away

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:41 am
by Pac_Eddy
A related story: in October of 2017, I was able to trade away Dez Bryant for the current league champ's 2018 and 2019 firsts. He had a solid but relatively old, veteran team.

The 2018 first was 1.09 where I got Calvin Ridley. That 2019 first ended up being 1.02. A lot changed on his team during those two years.

Re: Trading for pick 2+ years away

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:41 am
by Jigga94
grandmabetty wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:34 am
As another mentioned those dont depreciate. I often make moves involving picks 2 years away because short sighted owners are eager to give them up only worrying about helping their team now. This allows me to get better value in some cases. The flip side of that coin though is that I need to wait 2 years to cash in on the trade.
Yes and if you do it often, you will always have them appreciating and "maturing" if you will

Re: Trading for pick 2+ years away

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:42 am
by Jigga94
BeeziBad wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:38 am
moishetreats wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:42 am
Always happy to get future picks!! Those are assets that will never depreciate!
I never rebuild, i'm always about winning now and 2055 picks do nothing to help my cause.
I need to take more advice from you. I've put all my stock into 2055 already

Re: Trading for pick 2+ years away

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:49 am
by TimeWillTell
I was looking to sell an aging E. Sanders last season. I shopped him and best I could do was a 2019 2nd (which would've ended up 2.10). But finally a WR needy team (took too many rookies in start up draft) came to me and offered a 2020 1st. He wanted to keep his 2019 to try to improve his team and felt he'd be great after the 2019 draft for several years. Now he's got a questionable Gurley, and possibly finished Hill, a Mahomes with no place to go but down, another RB in Michel with questionable knees and a possible RBBC situation and 1.10 and no 2020 1st. He is sitting on Kirk and C. Davis and Tre Smith as well as Guice so he's def not dead in water but he's panicking a bit now as he's got minimal depth. So I'm thinking my 2020 1st of his may end up mid at worst despite him thinking it'd be a late throwaway. Time will tell.

Re: Trading for pick 2+ years away

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:02 am
by Jcedwards
Jigga94 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:38 am
moishetreats wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:42 am
Always happy to get future picks!! Those are assets that will never depreciate!
This. I love doing it with competitive teams who are buyers as well. That team could always flip in 2 years and all of a sudden you have a really good pick.

Best way to do this is if your team is REALLY good and you are getting rid of expendable assets. Or if you are getting a really good value for a rebuild.

I don't like trading for picks far out if my team is middle of the road or if it's only fair value in a rebuild because that guarantees a prolonged rebuild
See I think my team fits the bill of being really good and should be for a long time. I went 12-1 and was the heavy favorite to win the championship. Lost in the semis though, because my team collectively decided to have a bad week. But I have lots of players that should still be elite in several years. Players like Mahomes, Barkley, Mixon, Kamara, OBJ, M Thomas, Cooper, Ertz hopefully, etc.

Re: Trading for pick 2+ years away

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:05 am
by Jcedwards
TimeWillTell wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:49 am
I was looking to sell an aging E. Sanders last season. I shopped him and best I could do was a 2019 2nd (which would've ended up 2.10). But finally a WR needy team (took too many rookies in start up draft) came to me and offered a 2020 1st. He wanted to keep his 2019 to try to improve his team and felt he'd be great after the 2019 draft for several years. Now he's got a questionable Gurley, and possibly finished Hill, a Mahomes with no place to go but down, another RB in Michel with questionable knees and a possible RBBC situation and 1.10 and no 2020 1st. He is sitting on Kirk and C. Davis and Tre Smith as well as Guice so he's def not dead in water but he's panicking a bit now as he's got minimal depth. So I'm thinking my 2020 1st of his may end up mid at worst despite him thinking it'd be a late throwaway. Time will tell.
Kinda funny because the player I am talking about is Sanders as well. I have another owner (big Broncos fan) hounding me for him. He doesn't have any 1st nor 2nd's for this year or next, so he is offering me his 2021 2nd round pick. I like Sanders, but he is also 32 and coming off a major injury. I really felt like 2021 is so far away and wasn't sure about trading this far out, hence why I was curious as to other people's thoughts on it.

Re: Trading for pick 2+ years away

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:10 am
by Jcedwards
Glad I could spark some discussion on trading for future picks 2 years in advance. Up until this offer, I had never really thought much about trading for picks that far ahead. But seems like everyone is in agreement that it isn't a bad thing getting picks 2 years out.

Re: Trading for pick 2+ years away

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:10 am
by Jcedwards
Pac_Eddy wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:31 am
I'd have no issue with it. I assume you're getting a pretty good deal though.

Most of my leagues only allow a max of two years ahead, but if I had a player that I really wanted to sell, I'd happily take a 2021 pick.
E. Sanders for 2021 2nd is what the actual offer is.