Darrell Henderson

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Does Darrell Henderson scare Todd Gurley owners?

Postby joeday » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:48 am

As a Gurley owner in plenty of leagues I am curious what everyone thinks.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: Does Darrell Henderson scare Todd Gurley owners?

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:48 am

No

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:51 am

Not even a little bit.

He's a good backup who can be a special teams ace when it comes to kickoff returns, kickoff and punt coverage. He's a change-of-pass back who can pound up the middle when needed.

I predicted that he would be drafted as such and the Rams did exactly that. His ceiling is flex, but there's no way he becomes a starter. If you own Gurley, he's a worth late round pick as a backup RB.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:52 am

The selection of Henderson isn't that weird to me. The Rams strike me as a team that will consistently try to add various new weapons to their offense, and Henderson is much different from what they currently have in their backfield.

What was interesting was the fact they traded multiple picks to move up. That was interesting. They also matched to keep Malcolm Brown. I assume Gurley will be fine but I would also suspect his workload starts to be reeled in.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:02 am

If there weren’t questions about Gurley’s knee, then this wouldn’t even be a post.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:05 am

No concerns. It makes sense to have depth at the position and Brown is coming off an injury. Adding a playmaker isn't a bad thing, but he's not a threat to Gurley unless Gurley has health issues, which is completely separate. That said, I don't think the selection is any indication of anything further than taking a quality player.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:06 am

You have to be a little concerned with Gurley. I mean the Rams were playing CJ Anderson over him with their season and championship on the line. Now they're re-signing backups and trading multiple picks to select a RB? There's been rumors of Gurley getting stem cell treatment for his knee, arthritis concerns. There's definitely a ton of smoke around him right now. While I would still bet he's fine, perhaps the Rams know he may not be able handle 300ish touches anymore.

FantasyDumDum
Role Player
Role Player

Postby FantasyDumDum » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:18 am

Gurley has 2 problems based on his degenerative arthritis or whatever it is:

1) the Rams have paid up for Brown, moved up in the draft and picked Henderson, and I believe still have Kelly rostered. They will be limiting Gurley’s usage for sure compared to the past 2 years, probably in the 60-80% usage range. This reduced volume lowers his ceiling.

2) there is a real chance he succumbs to injury again, or again and again, and has his playtime and the length of his career reduced significantly. The outlook on his career length is way less than it was even 6 months ago, and the chance it ends rather abruptly is way higher. This lowers his floor.

Together, those problems lower both his ceiling and his floor, and his risk and the volatility and range of outcomes for his usage and his career are through the roof right now, especially with the team obfuscating and not being straightforward about anything related to Gurley. Worst case scenario he could try to start this coming season, run into the same problem he had to end last season, and have to essentially hang it up and retire. That isn’t out of the question based on everything we’ve seen. He would be a hard pass for me in any format in the first 2 rounds, but I could see some still taking him in round 2 with his risk and it being appropriate. Round 1 is out of the question for me and those taking him there I think are stuck in the past and hoping reality is somehow different than what they are seeing with their own eyes.
10 team, .5ppr, 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: CMC, D Williams, Drake, Guice, Penny, RoJo, Breida, I Smith, Edmonds
WR: AB, ARob, Ridley, Jeffery, Shepard, Pettis, Miller, Washington, MVS, Callaway
TE: Kelce, Herndon, Andrews

Taxi Squad:

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:28 am

Henderson shouldn't be what specifically scare you. What should scare you is that the Rams have pretty much gone all out to conceal the details of his knee injury. Their actions confirm it, as they kept Malcolm Brown and moved up to draft an RB with a 3rd.

Gurley is still an RB1 until proven otherwise, but the Rams seem to:

1. Have plans to dial back his volume.
2. Want to have a capable RB group behind him in case he needs rest days.

To me, this is the issue with being a workhorse. Everyone wants that 1 RB in dynasty who never comes off the field, but ultimately those players increase wear/tear and inevitably backups are drafted behind them to cut into volume.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:49 am

FantasyDumDum wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:18 am Gurley has 2 problems based on his degenerative arthritis or whatever it is:

1) the Rams have paid up for Brown, moved up in the draft and picked Henderson, and I believe still have Kelly rostered. They will be limiting Gurley’s usage for sure compared to the past 2 years, probably in the 60-80% usage range. This reduced volume lowers his ceiling.

2) there is a real chance he succumbs to injury again, or again and again, and has his playtime and the length of his career reduced significantly. The outlook on his career length is way less than it was even 6 months ago, and the chance it ends rather abruptly is way higher. This lowers his floor.

Together, those problems lower both his ceiling and his floor, and his risk and the volatility and range of outcomes for his usage and his career are through the roof right now, especially with the team obfuscating and not being straightforward about anything related to Gurley. Worst case scenario he could try to start this coming season, run into the same problem he had to end last season, and have to essentially hang it up and retire. That isn’t out of the question based on everything we’ve seen. He would be a hard pass for me in any format in the first 2 rounds, but I could see some still taking him in round 2 with his risk and it being appropriate. Round 1 is out of the question for me and those taking him there I think are stuck in the past and hoping reality is somehow different than what they are seeing with their own eyes.
The Rams also have paid up (a lot more) in money for Gurley, they just gave him a big deal. This draft pick is just to lighten his load a bit and give them another option if he does miss a little time. Gurley is still the man in LA and he is the key to the whole offense working, Henderson will never be that.

FantasyDumDum
Role Player
Role Player

Postby FantasyDumDum » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:53 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:28 am To me, this is the issue with being a workhorse. Everyone wants that 1 RB in dynasty who never comes off the field, but ultimately those players increase wear/tear and inevitably backups are drafted behind them to cut into volume.
Agreed. But to me, it is good news to Gurley owners that he didn’t just fall off the face of the earth value wise like a Shaun Alexander with his wear and tear, or succumb to an obvious major injury. He still somehow retains tier 2 RB1 value. Smart owners would sell based on that ASAP.
10 team, .5ppr, 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: CMC, D Williams, Drake, Guice, Penny, RoJo, Breida, I Smith, Edmonds
WR: AB, ARob, Ridley, Jeffery, Shepard, Pettis, Miller, Washington, MVS, Callaway
TE: Kelce, Herndon, Andrews

Taxi Squad:

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:03 am

Henderson isn't on Gurley's level talent-wise, but he was still arguably the best RB in this draft. It should concern owners that the Rams are putting a decent premium on having good replacements for Gurley.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:40 am

Henderson shouldn't scare gurley owners. The fact that his long term knee condition prevented him from playing in the most important game of the year should
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, Fields, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens, wilson
T: Kelce, Goedert, Thomas, woods
D: cle, nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson, Browning, Rudolph, Zappe
R: Swift, Walker, Dobbins, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen, Nuk, Tre tucker, C Samuel,
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0009&O=01

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:46 am

abloom wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:40 am Henderson shouldn't scare gurley owners. The fact that his long term knee condition prevented him from playing in the most important game of the year should
That was kind of my point...is the knee injury the reason they drafted him?
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:49 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:28 am Henderson shouldn't be what specifically scare you. What should scare you is that the Rams have pretty much gone all out to conceal the details of his knee injury. Their actions confirm it, as they kept Malcolm Brown and moved up to draft an RB with a 3rd.

Gurley is still an RB1 until proven otherwise, but the Rams seem to:

1. Have plans to dial back his volume.
2. Want to have a capable RB group behind him in case he needs rest days.

To me, this is the issue with being a workhorse. Everyone wants that 1 RB in dynasty who never comes off the field, but ultimately those players increase wear/tear and inevitably backups are drafted behind them to cut into volume.
This is a major reason why I always try and get rid of my RBs as soon as their rookie deal is up. Or at least not be depending on RBs that are off their rookie deals.