2020 Rookie Picks

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
SWIMball
Starter
Starter

2020 Rookie Picks

Postby SWIMball » Fri May 24, 2019 11:55 am

Just throwing this out there, I really can't wait until the 2020 rookie draft ends. Everyone's going so crazy about those picks, trade prices (in my league at least) are through the roof with people looking for 2020 1sts.

I tried getting Curtis Samuel, but he can't be had unless it's a 2020 1st. Same for D'onta Foreman, Ronald Jones, Devin Funchess, Nyheim Hines....no way those guys are worth that kind of price.

I don't follow college much, and I'm sure some of what's coming will be great, but it seems like the hype is getting out of hand.
Dynasty 12tm .5PPR, 1 QB, 2RB, 2WR, 4W/R/T
QB: Dak, Richardson
RB: Barkley, Ekeler, Montgomery, Charbonnet, G. Edwards, Jeff Wilson, J. McLaughlin, Hunt, Dowdle, Z. White, Kelley, Spiller, Mason
WR: Lamb, Jeudy, Pittman, Godwin, Diontae, W. Robinson, M. Mims, C. Tillman, D. Douglas
TE: Andrews, McBride, Jonnu
Picks: 2024: 1st; 25&26: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Re: 2020 Rookie Pick Rant

Postby Johnny Canuck » Fri May 24, 2019 12:06 pm

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. On one hand you say the 2020 picks are over hyped, yet on the other you say that you are not willing to trade this (over hyped) pick for a piece you like. Kinda need to pick a side to make a valid argument.

fwiw: the 2020 class is quite good, but if you don't think so, you should put it on the block. Prob get a couple half decent offers.
Last edited by Johnny Canuck on Fri May 24, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CubfanAA
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: 2020 Rookie Pick Rant

Postby CubfanAA » Fri May 24, 2019 12:07 pm

This seems like you are saying two opposite things:

"Just throwing this out there, I really can't wait until the 2020 rookie draft ends. Everyone's going so crazy about those picks, trade prices (in my league at least) are through the roof with people looking for 2020 1sts. "

This sounds like people think the 2020 draft is going to be full of studs and everybody wants to trade for picks...

"I tried getting Curtis Samuel, but he can't be had unless it's a 2020 1st. Same for D'onta Foreman, Ronald Jones, Devin Funchess, Nyheim Hines....no way those guys are worth that kind of price. "

This makes it sound like nobody wants 2020 picks so you can't even get not very good players for 2nd round picks and have to trade a 1st, because the picks have no value...Personally I feel like the players you just named have vastly different values so maybe some of it is just your expectations of trades and not necessarily the 2020 pick value.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: 2020 Rookie Picks

Postby Vcize » Fri May 24, 2019 12:10 pm

I think in his second point he's saying everyone is so obsessed with getting 2020 1sts that they're not willing to move pieces away unless they are getting back a 2020 1st in the deal. So maybe they'd normally trade Curtis Samuel for Cam Newton because they have a need at QB, but now they'd rather hold onto Samuel as an asset they can use to try and get a 2020 1st.

ETA: I think there is definitely some truth to this. For instance I was trying to move Robert Woods recently in one league. But it's hard to trade him right now because people seem to be approaching the trades with a thought process of "why would I trade an asset for Robert Woods when I might be able to use that asset to get 2020 picks somewhere down the line instead", even when they have a need at WR2.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Johnny Canuck » Fri May 24, 2019 12:18 pm

Also, just because they're asking for a future 1st, doesn't necessarily indicate they love the 2020 class. They're could be just overvaluing their own players (like everyone does), and during the offseason is when potential drives trade valuation. All the guys you listed are young and still have some shine on them.

I'd bet it's not 2020 1st or bust as far as trade negotiations. If you offered them an overpay with an actual player, I'm sure most would take it.

Doesn't mean they do or don't love the 2020 class, they prob just have rose colored glasses on. With that said, if they do love the 2020 class, I wouldn't blame them, there's a lot of talent to be had next yr.
Last edited by Johnny Canuck on Fri May 24, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Johnny Canuck » Fri May 24, 2019 12:19 pm

Vcize wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:10 pm I think in his second point he's saying everyone is so obsessed with getting 2020 1sts that they're not willing to move pieces away unless they are getting back a 2020 1st in the deal. So maybe they'd normally trade Curtis Samuel for Cam Newton because they have a need at QB, but now they'd rather hold onto Samuel as an asset they can use to try and get a 2020 1st.

ETA: I think there is definitely some truth to this. For instance I was trying to move Robert Woods recently in one league. But it's hard to trade him right now because people seem to be approaching the trades with a thought process of "why would I trade an asset for Robert Woods when I might be able to use that asset to get 2020 picks somewhere down the line instead", even when they have a need at WR2.
Woods has never been a sexy name in fantasy football. Not really a surprise you can't move him for fair value. He's like Edelman, always worth more to your own team than you can get back via trade. This is also rookie draft season, so it's not all that odd for ppl to be valuing rookie picks highly (esp future picks in a reportedly stronger class).

I guess my argument would be that it's not hype if it's true. If the picks are expensive, or if ppl are just trying to obtain them, maybe it's because they should be expensive based on all the information we have to this point in time.

https://twitter.com/Obee1ne/status/1131946508474101760 - some clips of the WRs available in 2020, and the RBs are comparable talents to the 2018 & 2017 class.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri May 24, 2019 2:58 pm

Not sure if this has been pointed out, but your OP is kinda inconsistent. On one hand your saying 2020 picks are overhyped, then buying into the hype and not giving up your pick.

Lol

SWIMball
Starter
Starter

Postby SWIMball » Fri May 24, 2019 3:32 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:58 pm Not sure if this has been pointed out, but your OP is kinda inconsistent. On one hand your saying 2020 picks are overhyped, then buying into the hype and not giving up your pick.

Lol
I sold my pick in a package a while ago, which makes it even more frustrating that those are the counter offers, because I don't have a 2020 1st. I'm definitely not against buying and selling them, I just feel like it's at the point where almost every offer requires a 2020 1st to get something done, regardless of the level of player. Maybe it's just my league, but I feel like it isn't at the same time.

For example, I see Hines' value as a 2nd round rookie pick, so that's what I offered. The counter was a 1st, which he's not worth. I offered Albert Wilson and a 2nd for Foreman (guy wanted Wilson), and he countered with Wilson, a 1st, and FAAB. Robby+ for Corey Davis was countered with two 1sts (no players). That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.
RB: Barkley, Ekeler, Montgomery, Charbonnet, G. Edwards, Jeff Wilson, J. McLaughlin, Hunt, Dowdle, Z. White, Kelley, Spiller, Mason
WR: Lamb, Jeudy, Pittman, Godwin, Diontae, W. Robinson, M. Mims, C. Tillman, D. Douglas

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Fri May 24, 2019 3:39 pm

Once the 2020 picks gained some steam on sites like this and some experts pumped them up, everyone jumped on board. It looks like 2021 is going to be a pretty hyped class too.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

SWIMball
Starter
Starter

Postby SWIMball » Fri May 24, 2019 3:40 pm

At the end of the day, maybe it's just the nature of the game. Sorry for the rants, just got heated about it for a minute there.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri May 24, 2019 5:05 pm

At this point, the 2020 class seems to be priced at it's upside, no?

I do agree with this sentiment. I've noticed that in general trading activity is down throughout my leagues this offseason, and a lot of offers that I send out get countered with replacing something on my side for 2020 capital. I agree with Vcize- people seem reticent to make give up anything that could even become a 2020 pick.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri May 24, 2019 5:56 pm

I've been watching Pop-Warner football lately. The 2029 draft class is looking pretty badass!!!! I'm trying to stockpile 2029 1st round picks.

ItsHandsomeDave
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ItsHandsomeDave » Fri May 24, 2019 7:44 pm

Nah OP has a point, I dont think I have ever seen a draft class this hyped this far out. And its filtered through to the entire dynasty community it seems, where 2020 first round picks are now worth gold. Its hard to make trades right now that dont include future firsts.

Im trading them away currently. I dont care how good the class is, when I can get Andrew Luck for Carr and a 1.? in a superflex league, or James Connor as my RB3 straight up for a first and third, then I know people are losing their minds.

themburns
Starter
Starter

Postby themburns » Sat May 25, 2019 2:30 am

I get why he's presenting these seemingly contradictory points. This is clearly become a bubble. I do believe that 2020 is a better, more top heavy class, but it's really not fair to say much more than that at this point. As the NFL draft continues to teach us yearly, we're looking for intersecting but different sets of skills in these players.

That being said, I would like to buy all of the "Beanie Babies" as my roommate calls them, so long as I'm paying a reasonable rate. I'll figure out whether to put them on the auction block after they go out of circulation.

MattDeezy
Starter
Starter

Postby MattDeezy » Sat May 25, 2019 4:00 am

I tried selling OBJ for 3 2020 1sts - declined.

Also tried selling Michael Thomas for the same - declined.
Team
1Q|2R|3W|1T|2FLX - 12 Team PPR

QB: Love, AR, Cousins, Flacco
RB: CMC, Bijan, Ford, Mitchell, Pierce, Kendre, Tucker
WR: Deebo, Wilson, Olave, Puka, Flowers, Addison, Jeudy, Jamo, Burks
TE: McBride, Kincaid, Fant, Bellinger