Would this be collusion/unethical?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
lbi
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Would this be collusion/unethical?

Postby lbi » Sat May 18, 2019 2:34 pm

Does everyone share transcripts of every negotiation? Have other players made you aware of how they value all of their, your, and everyone else's players?

If an owner tells you he's willing to trade a player for a pick, is it collusion if he hasn't offered that to the whole league?

No idea how this can be considered poor taste, collusion or unethical.

You're not going to get 1.02 for cheap. You'll pay fair price for it, and get the guy you want.
12 team ppr dynasty.
1qb/2rb/2wr/2te/3flex/1superflex

Qb: luck, wentz, trubisky,bridgewater , webb, beathard,
Rb: rojo, hunt, drake, Lindsay rodgers
Wr. obj, parker, doctson, m.lee,r. anderson ty.will, conley, pryor, d.moore westbrook Gibson, a Carr, r Higgins, r foster
T.e:kroft, rsj, barwin, butt, j.hollister, c.herndon

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat May 18, 2019 2:35 pm

Krypto_King wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:50 am
Weknownothing86 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:06 am I mean in my league we do a mock draft of who we think will take who, some people even say "Ya im gonna take this guy" its all fun and games, but it sounds like in other leagues thats cheating? Like other have said he can change his mind, or he could be lying. There is nothing wrong with this at all. Im surprised you even think their may be something wrong with it.
it's fine if everyone knows. show one, show all is my thinking. It's a little dirty to get the 1.02 but its really the other owners fault.
It's not his responsibility to show everyone else. It's on the owner of the newly acquired 1.01, IF he so desires. In fact, it's just as unethical, if not more unethical to share private conversations. That also sets you up for never having a private conversation with anyone in the league again, if you share private conversations with other owners.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Sat May 18, 2019 3:31 pm

SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:51 am After a lot of negotiating with another owner I gave up the 1.01 in a superflex for a nice package of players and picks. I assume he is taking Murray since he only has 2 qbs, one of which is Foles.

As soon as we complete the trade he texts, “Love me some Sanders!” (He lives in Philly)

I said, “are you serious?”

He says yep.

Now I feel like it would be unethical to try and get the 1.02 before the draft starts with this information. Am I being overly goody two shoes by waiting till 1.02 goes on the clock to make a move for the 1.02? It seems like everyone should get a chance at the 1.02 if it’s Murray.

Has anyone else had a similar situation?
I don’t think it’s unethical and it’s definitely not collusion.
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Sat May 18, 2019 3:54 pm

I actually had a similar situation to this a couple years ago during the Mixon/McCaffrey draft.

This is a bit convoluted but there were 4 owners involved.
If you can picture this, most of us know each other, about 9 of us were all in the same building at a bar and grill owned by one of the guys in the league for the rookie draft. The other 3 were offsite but drafting through the MFL system.
I had picks 2,3, 10, and 12. I needed RB's desperately (right draft to be in, right?) and I wanted to get 3 of Mixon/McCaffrey/Hunt/Kamara but I also wanted Davis and Juju.
I knew the guy at 1 had a boner for Fournette, I DM'd him before the draft and he confirmed he was taking LF, and not moving off it for anything. That got me Davis and CMC for sure.
Then I Sent an offer to the guy at 4, he said he was not moving off the pick because he wanted Marshawn Lynch. Ummm what? :shock:
In the meantime the guy at 6 and 8 approached and wanted DJ, I told him I wanted MT13 and MG3 and pick 6, but he did not want to move off #6 and he told me he wanted to make sure he got OJH. We ended up making a deal where I got both MT13 and MG3 plus A. Hooper and pick 8.
All this before draft day. I now have picks 2,3,8,10,12 and knowledge of how 5 of the first 6 picks are going to go.
Fast forward to draft day. Knowing with some certainty that Mixon would be there, I flipped pick 8 to the guy at 5 for a 2nd rounder and a 2018 2nd rounder. The guy at 6 is sitting literally right next to me and starts cursing at me, calling me a Mf'er and he'll never talk to me again all through the first 3 picks of the draft (I needed a TE as well). I told him, Relax, I'm not taking OJH, I promise you...he responds you better not you mf'er. I told him, wait till you see what is going to happen because you're not going to believe this.
Now keep in mind, everyone in that league knew I was all in on Mixon, Davis and CMC and that I really liked OJH. Also, remember I know that Lynch is going at 4 and OJH at 6.
So the draft goes LF, CMC (Me), Davis (me)...then the guy at 4 takes Lynch. The place is a cacophony. People are yelling at the 4th pick about how he let me get 3 of the top 4... Guy at 6 has his jaw on the floor...but I'm not done. (Remember I know OJH is going #6)
While I'm OTC, I approach the guy at 7, offer him my 2018 1st and another 17 2nd for 1.7. He takes it. I take Mixon at 5, 6 takes Howard, I take M-Will. 8 & 9 are Cook and John Ross. I take Kamara at 10, Hunt goes at 11, and I take Juju at 12.

Point being, all that information was available to the entire league but I was the only one who did the legwork to get it.
Just by talking to people and keeping stuff confidential, I walked out of a draft with CMC/Mixon/KamaraMG3/MT13/Juju/CD/M-Will and set my team up for the next 5-7 years. And stuff like this happens every year in that league, it's the reason it's by far my favorite league. The maneuverings in the 19 draft (set for next weekend) is even crazier.

OP, there's nothing untoward or unethical about trading for the 1.2 pick in your case. Nor are you obligated to share the information with anyone else. You did the legwork and found the information. Just keep in mind it may be a smokescreen although I'm not sure how the guy at 1.1 benefits from a smokescreen in your case.
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat May 18, 2019 4:07 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:59 am
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:17 am It's not collusion, but it is somewhat akin to insider trading. You are essentially operating/benefitting from information that others don't have and will benefit from it.

I think it goes against the spirit of competition. Though it is an issue that almost no Bylaws address.

Just imagine what how it looks and what others will say when he takes Sanders at 1.01, you take Murray at 1.02, and then it gets out that he privately tipped his hand as to whom he would pick before you acquired 1.02.

Please do post a link to those discussions when it happens. It will be a fun read.
This is a good point. Although you did nothing wrong, and he supplied the information, it could cause a whole lot of trouble. Even if it doesn't get out that he tipped you off, it will look fishy if you trade the 1.01, then go acquire the 1.02, and he picks Sanders at 1.01.
99 out of 100 would take Murray 1.1 in a SF. The only one that’s going to look stupid is the blabber mouth owner.

The fact he tells one person is besides the point. Who knows what he is telling the owner of every trade he makes.

Big deal if it gets out. It was after the trades completion.

Besides in a Super Flex 1.2 will be plenty expensive and don’t think for a minute that owner won’t go after 1.1 and perhaps find out information through his negotiations.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat May 18, 2019 4:17 pm

Ice wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 4:07 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:59 am
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:17 am It's not collusion, but it is somewhat akin to insider trading. You are essentially operating/benefitting from information that others don't have and will benefit from it.

I think it goes against the spirit of competition. Though it is an issue that almost no Bylaws address.

Just imagine what how it looks and what others will say when he takes Sanders at 1.01, you take Murray at 1.02, and then it gets out that he privately tipped his hand as to whom he would pick before you acquired 1.02.

Please do post a link to those discussions when it happens. It will be a fun read.
This is a good point. Although you did nothing wrong, and he supplied the information, it could cause a whole lot of trouble. Even if it doesn't get out that he tipped you off, it will look fishy if you trade the 1.01, then go acquire the 1.02, and he picks Sanders at 1.01.
99 out of 100 would take Murray 1.1 in a SF. The only one that’s going to look stupid is the blabber mouth owner.

The fact he tells one person is besides the point. Who knows what he is telling the owner of every trade he makes.

Big deal if it gets out. It was after the trades completion.

Besides in a Super Flex 1.2 will be plenty expensive and don’t think for a minute that owner won’t go after 1.1 and perhaps find out information through his negotiations.
I agree, it's not collusion or unethical, I just think it might be a bleep storm if it goes down. It's not on the OP, though. Trade had already been made, like you said.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun May 19, 2019 6:13 am

Mephistopheles wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 3:54 pm I actually had a similar situation to this a couple years ago during the Mixon/McCaffrey draft.

This is a bit convoluted but there were 4 owners involved.
If you can picture this, most of us know each other, about 9 of us were all in the same building at a bar and grill owned by one of the guys in the league for the rookie draft. The other 3 were offsite but drafting through the MFL system.
I had picks 2,3, 10, and 12. I needed RB's desperately (right draft to be in, right?) and I wanted to get 3 of Mixon/McCaffrey/Hunt/Kamara but I also wanted Davis and Juju.
I knew the guy at 1 had a boner for Fournette, I DM'd him before the draft and he confirmed he was taking LF, and not moving off it for anything. That got me Davis and CMC for sure.
Then I Sent an offer to the guy at 4, he said he was not moving off the pick because he wanted Marshawn Lynch. Ummm what? :shock:
In the meantime the guy at 6 and 8 approached and wanted DJ, I told him I wanted MT13 and MG3 and pick 6, but he did not want to move off #6 and he told me he wanted to make sure he got OJH. We ended up making a deal where I got both MT13 and MG3 plus A. Hooper and pick 8.
All this before draft day. I now have picks 2,3,8,10,12 and knowledge of how 5 of the first 6 picks are going to go.
Fast forward to draft day. Knowing with some certainty that Mixon would be there, I flipped pick 8 to the guy at 5 for a 2nd rounder and a 2018 2nd rounder. The guy at 6 is sitting literally right next to me and starts cursing at me, calling me a Mf'er and he'll never talk to me again all through the first 3 picks of the draft (I needed a TE as well). I told him, Relax, I'm not taking OJH, I promise you...he responds you better not you mf'er. I told him, wait till you see what is going to happen because you're not going to believe this.
Now keep in mind, everyone in that league knew I was all in on Mixon, Davis and CMC and that I really liked OJH. Also, remember I know that Lynch is going at 4 and OJH at 6.
So the draft goes LF, CMC (Me), Davis (me)...then the guy at 4 takes Lynch. The place is a cacophony. People are yelling at the 4th pick about how he let me get 3 of the top 4... Guy at 6 has his jaw on the floor...but I'm not done. (Remember I know OJH is going #6)
While I'm OTC, I approach the guy at 7, offer him my 2018 1st and another 17 2nd for 1.7. He takes it. I take Mixon at 5, 6 takes Howard, I take M-Will. 8 & 9 are Cook and John Ross. I take Kamara at 10, Hunt goes at 11, and I take Juju at 12.

Point being, all that information was available to the entire league but I was the only one who did the legwork to get it.
Just by talking to people and keeping stuff confidential, I walked out of a draft with CMC/Mixon/KamaraMG3/MT13/Juju/CD/M-Will and set my team up for the next 5-7 years. And stuff like this happens every year in that league, it's the reason it's by far my favorite league. The maneuverings in the 19 draft (set for next weekend) is even crazier.

OP, there's nothing untoward or unethical about trading for the 1.2 pick in your case. Nor are you obligated to share the information with anyone else. You did the legwork and found the information. Just keep in mind it may be a smokescreen although I'm not sure how the guy at 1.1 benefits from a smokescreen in your case.
This is a great story and well done!
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

FuzzySignificance
Starter
Starter

Postby FuzzySignificance » Sun May 19, 2019 6:51 am

not only is it not collusion or unethical, this is the kind of information you should be trying to get from people heading into the draft.
12 team ppr, 1 qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, 1 te, 2 flex
QB: Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota
RB: Ezekiel Elliott, Le'Veon Bell, Kerryon Johnson, Peyton Barber, Ronald Jones, Darwin Thompson
WR: Amari Cooper, Adam Thielen, Antonio Brown, Will Fuller, DeDe Westbrook, Robby Anderson, Marquise Goodwin, Justin Watson, Albert Wilson, Greg Dortch
TE: Travis Kelce, Vance McDonald, Kyle Rudolph, Delanie Walker, Ian Thomas, Gerald Everett

John Paul
Role Player
Role Player

Postby John Paul » Sun May 19, 2019 6:53 am

It's not collusive. I have a lot of conversations with various owners in my leagues. If they share a plan with me and ask me not to divulge it, I abide by their wishes. Sometimes I am aware of another owner's like for or desire to trade off another player and if I come across someone who wants that player I will steer them in that GM's direction, too.

I find it's helpful when you start talks for your own trading when you've kept good conversation with as many GMs in your league as possible.
10 Team PPR Dynasty (2012 Startup) 2018 1st 2019 2nd 2021 2nd

QB: Matt Stafford(Trade '22), Kirk Cousins(Trade '22), Baker Mayfield(Trade '22)
RB: Jonathan Taylor(Trade '21), ETN(trade '22), Breece Hall(1.02 '22), Deon Jackson (WW '23), Michael Carter (trade '23)
WR: Drake London (Trade '23), Jahan Dotson (Trade "23), Allen Robinson (Trade '22), Brandin Cooks (Trade '23), John Metchie III(2.02 "23), Rondale Moore(Trade '21), Kyle Philips(4.05 '22), Curtis Samuel (Trade '23)
TE: Kyle Pitts(Trade '22), Logan Thomas (WW "23)
LB: Logan Wilson (WW '22), Zaire Franklin (WW'23), Matt Judon (WW '23)
DB: M Fitzpatrick (WW '22), I Simmons (WW "23), Jamal Adams (WW "23)
DL: Chase Young(3.08/'20), Aidan Hutchinson (WW "23)

2023: 1.05, 1.06, 1.07, 1.08, 2.04
2024: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2
2025: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby blemly » Sun May 19, 2019 7:29 am

FuzzySignificance wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:51 am not only is it not collusion or unethical, this is the kind of information you should be trying to get from people heading into the draft.
Agreed. Maybe I operate under a much looser ethical code, but if there isn’t a bylaw saying I can’t so it, I’m gonna do it if it gives me an advantage.

That includes asking people about preferences and then steering them one way if I think it helps me, privately discussing trades to getting the inside scoop on that owners’ thoughts on players/picks, straight up misleading people on who I plan to take where, etc.
Team 1: 12-team SF 0.5 PPR:
QB: Dak, Russ, Stafford, Geno, Dalton
RB: Harris, Gibson, Chubb, Cohen
WR: DK, Ridley, Kirk, Chark, Woods, C Samuel, Shepard, Reagor
TE: Fant, Knox
Team 2: 14-team PPR SF TEP:
QB: Wilson, Burrow, Geno, Foles
RB: Mixon, Gibson, Hines, Cohen, Pollard
WR: DJM, Cooper, Sutton, Deebo, R. Moore, ARSB, Eskridge, Renfrow
TE: Gesicki, Njoku, Arnold
Team 3: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Watson, Lawrence, Winston, Cam
RB: Harris, Ekeler, Dobbins
WR: Hill, AJB, Woods, Chark, Lockett
TE: Gesicki, OJH, Firkser
Team 4: 12-team SF TEP Devy
QB: Wilson, Geno, Ryan, Cousins
RB: Zeke, Chubb, Sanders, Pollard, Hines, Cohen, Henderson
WR: Cooper, Godwin, Sutton, JuJu, Samuel, Fuller, Shepard, Campbell
TE: Fant, Gesicki, Ertz, Freiermuth
Devy: Boutte, Young, Slovis, Harris
Team 5: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Dak, Lance, Jones, Cam
RB: Swift, Sanders, Dobbins, Pollard
WR: Sutton, DJM, Golladay, Chase, Pittman, Kirk, Campbell, Mims, Wallace
TE: Herndon, Gesicki, Freiermuth

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon May 20, 2019 3:10 am

I wouldn’t feel bad about it.

If i was that owner though, i would try to trade down to 1.2

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Mon May 20, 2019 5:08 am

go get that 1.02 if possible theres nothing here to worry about...except maybe needing to replace an owner thats does more harm than good lol
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Mon May 20, 2019 6:20 am

JTLoh wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:11 am Be careful though.
I would have told you the same thing. Then picked Murry.
^Exactly

I had a guy telling me he wanted to move up from his 1.10 to my 1.02 because there was a WR he REALLY liked
He then ended up trading with another owner to get the 1.01 instead (he overpaid, gave up Kupp + 1.10 + mid 2020 1st)

And he took Jacobs with the pick

I wouldn't trust what another owner tells you they're going to do with a pick

Either way, definitely not collusion to trade up to the 1.02
Team 1:
12-team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Herbert, Kyler, Baker, Jimmy G, Mariota, DTR
RB: Taylor, Saquon, Javonte, Conner, C.Evans, TDP
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Olave, Diggs, Diontae, Hollywood, MT, Shaheed
TE: Engram, Woods, Kraft
'24 picks: 1.08, 3.05

Team 2:
12-Team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Mahomes, Allen, Russ
RB: Breece, JT, Swift, Javonte, Mostert, Zamir
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Nico, Kupp, Hollywood, Kirk, MT
TE: Pitts, Njoku, Woods
'24 picks: 4.01

Team 3:
12-Team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Hurts, Dak, Stafford, Z.Wilson, DTR
RB: Saquon, Swift, Achane, Kamara, Ford
WR: Jefferson, AJB, ARSB, Nico, Diontae, OBJ
TE: Goedert, Njoku, Fant, Woods
'24 picks: 4.08, 4.12, 5.12

turkjetfan
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby turkjetfan » Mon May 20, 2019 6:47 am

There is nothing collusive about this at all. Someone volunteered information. Why wouldn't you make use of it, should you choose to?
14 team 1 pt PPR

QB: Baker, Darnold
RB: Kareem, Miles Sanders, Darrell Henderson, Ito Smith, Jay Ajayi, Damien Harris, CJ Anderson, Dion Lewis, Corey Clement
WR: Jarvis, DK Metcalf, Robby Anderson, Tyrell Williams, Kenny Stills, Donte Moncrief, David Moore, Hakeem Butler, Miles Boykin, Scott Miller, Anthony Johnson
TE: Hooper, Doyle, Jace Sternberger

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon May 20, 2019 2:40 pm

Bot101 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:19 am I'd be going after the 1.02 right now. That's not collusion. That's your league mate being an idiot, and now you have a competitive edge.
x2
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd